Why do so many farang here work for peanuts?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is A trade off.Ya might only make as much as A McDonalds worker in Chicago.But it's A no brainier .Most people would rather live in Thailand than places like Chicago,Detroit or other slum cities in the U.S.

I'd work for $1,£1 or 50 baht if my outgoings would dictate that, perhaps the teachers earning 30,000 baht per month feel they are better off than being in there home country! Earning more but paying out more......

Funny thing is thst it's not the 20-30k baht crowd that complains about no free water at a restaurant, has convos about where to save 5B on a beer or extols the b3nefits of switching to Archa beer...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They might make a few dollars more working back in the states, but in the states, many things cost 6 or 8 times as much. Rent, for instance. The average burger flipper cannot afford a decent place to live, unless they share a rental, or live with their parents. Food and dining out are much more expensive, also. So are movies. If a burger flipper is making 9 dollars an hour, they must work for 2 hours to pay for a movie, after the taxes and other expenses are taken from their check. Transportation in thailand is a small fraction of the cost of that in the US, excluding the ripoff meccas such as Phuket. Many burger flippers are making less than 9 dollars an hour. There really is no comparison.

Edited by alfalfa19

Maybe they enjoy the experience..? and how do you know how much everybody here makes?

No idea how much they make...just saw ads for English teachers paying 30,000 baht per month. It just seems a miserable existence here if you have no money and a weak salary...what is it that attracts them to stay?

Agree. For the last ten years before I retired I worked in the Middle East and came here for a few months each year on holiday. I thought it would be convenient to both live and work here, but the salaries and the other work-related conditions here made that an unattractive option. Aside from that I think I found coming here two or three times a year made it seem like a actual holiday break, something to look forward to and plan for, and all the more enjoyable. I love Thailand but can see that working here long term could have put an end to the infatuation.

If you're young and want to come here for a year or two to teach, it might be regarded as something of an adventure for you ( and most likely a waste of time for your students). There are certainly some jobs that require genuine qualifications and pay adequately for those qualifications, but if you read through some of the posts in the teaching forum, Baht 30,000 a month seems exceedingly generous compensation for many of those seeking employment as teachers.

Edited by Suradit69

It's not how much you make.

It's how much you spend.

Make 5% of my former home-country salary.

There, I could only save 10% of my salary.

Here, I save 60-70% of my salary.

Travel anywhere I want, domestically and abroad. Eat what I want, frequently host small parties here and at resorts on weekends out of town, and send a kid through university now and then.

I have all I need and most of my wants.

I can't understand the OP's dilemma at all, unless he's complaining about trying to live a 100% western lifestyle in a developing country.

If THAT'S his beef, well...DUH!

some time ago you posted in another thread actual amounts (earnings and spendings) which i could hardly believe because they were extremely low.

with all due respect... even though your emphasis is on "what you want" and its content is based on your perspective. from my perspective i consider it................ an entertaining fairy tale.

wai2.gif

Well apparently living large on his salary he can now "Eat what I want" and "host small parties." Pretty heady stuff for some people I guess here at the Farang Fairy tale Factory. One wonders what he was forced to eat while earning 20 x his current salary back in Farang Land.

I think if you actually talk to people who teach here, you'll find many, if not most, have chosen Thailand for a lifestyle and environment. Most could easily be working for higher wages in other countries and many have before. But a lot of people make choices for reasons other than cash. It may be difficult to understand but a lot of people make those choices happily.

" Most could easily be working for higher wages in other countries ...."

Thanks for adding a little humor to the discussion.

A hyperbole is an extreme exaggeration used to make a point. It is like the opposite of “understatement.” It is from a Greek word meaning “excess.”

Hyperboles can be found in literature and oral communication. They would not be used in nonfiction works, like medical journals or research papers; but, they are perfect for fictional works, especially to add color to a character or humor to the story.

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hyperboles.html

Edited by Suradit69

Fortunately life is not just about money.

Like it's been said before. Experience and ability to learn new things in everyday life is one of the reasons to live here. This doesn't necessarily happen while living and working in Farangland.

Working here often means that the person can be part of the local culture, learn new friends etc.

Would it be better to work for 6 months in lousy job back home and then spend next 6 months in Thailand.. doing what? Thailand part would soon become the boring part of the life.

When I first came to Thailand, I worked for diving industry. The money was minuscule compared to my primary work. After waking up in a boat when the first thing I saw was pristine Similan islands.. it was well worth it.

Maybe they enjoy the experience..? and how do you know how much everybody here makes?

supply and demand, maybe they like the people, the country and the friendliness of the Thai's rather than the cess pool countries they come from with crack heads, muslim fanatics, welfare for life bunch, and crime!

3-4 dollars and hour?

Try $30 an hour.

One hour classes after school, ten kids at 100 baht each, that's 1000 baht. Five days a week, that's 5000 baht, or 150 bucks for a half day's overall work. I know some who are doing that, plus a few hours each on Saturday and Sunday. And they're paying $60 a month on the rent.

I also know people who teach two hours a day, one-on-one for 500 each adult. Attorneys and doctors and such.

Beats the hell out of Mickey D's.

EDIT: Reading post #2, yes miserable. But the smart ones use their position as a teacher to open doors for said private lessons.

Now your talking! I need to get busy drumming up some tutoring jobs. I'm retired and on a fixed income and could really use the extra cash. I wonder though, if I would have much luck since I don't speak much Thai at this point.

As "noble" as this sentiment is, in practice this is just not true....and in fact if you do things right money buys you that "freedom"

To quote Billy Connelly when questioned on his new found fame and fortune, the person stated, ah but Billy all this new found wealth brings it's own problems"....his response....."Fking rubbish, its great"

Hey OP ! Just one question. Why do people volunteer ?

You know, work for no monetary gain at all. Maybe some people have sufficient income & get reward for just keeping busy, helping others. Piece of mind, sense of worth.... you know what I mean.

Satisfaction isn't totally reliant on money.

Just my view.

Cheers.

Mal.

• Like 1

"What could possibly motivate someone to be a teacher for a few dollars an hour, when they could make 3 - 4 times that wage working at a McDonalds or Burger King at home?"

It’s the cost of living you may not be considering. You would have a difficult time surviving in the US or Europe working at McDonald’s or Burger King. However you can do fairly well on the 35 to 40K Baht from a teaching job living in Thailand.

It’s not that bad and for me it was an enjoyable experience teaching English in Thailand. You meet some interesting people and make some nice friends but you’re obviously not going to get rich as a teacher. If you owned the school then you can make a very good living in Thailand but there is an upfront investment risk and the commitment is much more time consuming than merely teaching.

As "noble" as this sentiment is, in practice this is just not true....and in fact if you do things right money buys you that "freedom"

To quote Billy Connelly when questioned on his new found fame and fortune, the person stated, ah but Billy all this new found wealth brings it's own problems"....his response....."Fking rubbish, its great"

We all need some amount of security in our lives, which money can bring to a certain point. But beyond that it's personal values.

The time we make the money is taken from our freedom. If one really loves what he is doing, that's ok. If doing the work simply to make some money, it's wasted life.

I have found my own balance by spending less, working less and therefore making less money as well. That's freedom for me. I have time to do my own stuff. I could get a job in some larger company where I would make far more money I do now. I would also be back in the rat-race where I'm forced to wake up early in the mornings to get to the office and do what others tell me to do.

For teachers etc. who are working for lower salaries, their bonuses come in different ways. They can have great life experiences, learning new skills, cultures and perhaps language. For young people that's one of the best ways to discover life in my opinion.

And.. they are living in a tropical climate, where they can go to a tropical beach during their weekends and other free time. Not a bad deal when comparing to the greyness of some western cities.

Because they can..life is not always about the pursuit of money,it is governements and banks and the advertisers of the world who wish for you to go and earn the big money,so you can borrow and live beyond your means then reality hits and you realize that you don't need all this stuff to make you happy and you start going down the path of enlightenment and true creativity or the desire to be a free spirit, so then you learn to unlearn all that you know.and to do that you have to leave the nest and find your place in the world. and for many existing at any level in a place that is teaching you a lot about yourself is more enticing than the banality of the western world.. we are all here for spiritual growth not the accumulation of wealth.the level of income is only relative to what you really need and are happy with. and the girls are better!

• Like 1

It's not how much you make.

It's how much you spend.

Make 5% of my former home-country salary.

There, I could only save 10% of my salary.

Here, I save 60-70% of my salary.

Travel anywhere I want, domestically and abroad. Eat what I want, frequently host small parties here and at resorts on weekends out of town, and send a kid through university now and then.

I have all I need and most of my wants.

I can't understand the OP's dilemma at all, unless he's complaining about trying to live a 100% western lifestyle in a developing country.

If THAT'S his beef, well...DUH!

some time ago you posted in another thread actual amounts (earnings and spendings) which i could hardly believe because they were extremely low.

with all due respect... even though your emphasis is on "what you want" and its content is based on your perspective. from my perspective i consider it................ an entertaining fairy tale.

wai2.gif

With all due respect Naam, I've followed your posts for years. It's you who is so deep into the fairy tale that you cannot fathom the realistic circumstances of others.

I applaud that you can enjoy the life of opulent luxury in LOS, and don't have to be concerned about living within your means. But it really does color one's outlook.

post-108400-14000378142229_thumb.jpg

Surely your not that thick,they can live here very cheaply,compared to there country,they have the weather which suits many,they dont have to drive to work on a motorway every day sitting in traffic,for hours on end,they can go out for a drink at night,in my country many pub 4 pound a pint that works out over 200 bht here 70bht a fraction of the price i know some places are 100 bht in a bar here ,they can eat cheaply buying a sandwich in england about 3 pound here i could have a 3 course meal for that,so when you work it out theres not much difference to there country.

Not sure -

Where you stay - is Hawaiian slang - for ?

Hawaiian English is probably less desirable than- ?

not always - ( Barac Obama )

I'm facing this with my kids in Hawaii.

OP might be from hawaii.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Money is not everything - where did you go to school ?

The Thai system provides THB 55.000.- per farang teacher...The school only wants to pay about 60% of this amount to the farang...Explanation? Corruption as always and everywhere around here.

The headmaster who has no budget but 3 cars (also Fortuner)...The teachers who go "on tour"...

My daughter goes to school and the school wants 2 x 3000.- THB / year...There are 4200 students = THB 25.200.000.- in the pocket!!! Followed by the Amazing Smile...for free.

• Like 1

if OP would just take into consideration the cost of living in Thailand vs the cost of living in a 1st world country in relation to the salary, working here isn't that bad.. plus, face it, farangs who are earning below the legal salary required for their nationality may not have the right qualifications for their job, they are most probably just hired for their looks or their accent...

Tunnel-vision at its worst.