Why do so many farang here work for peanuts?

While your talking about UK taxi drivers.

15K is achievable on an ordinary day.

30K is very rare but can be done on a Saturday/ Sunday .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So what you are telling me is that in your country, if a Taxi Driver works 6 days a week, with an average day earning 15k Baht, as you said, he would earn $156,000 US per year?

Well Bud!

They sure as Hell don't earn that kind of money in my country, even working 7 days a week or by driving the Prime Minister around.

You say driving the PM around has if it's a big deal.

It ain't.he probably gets about 30K GBP PA ++

Drove Arabs round in the old days. Minted it.

Now a days in London its slave labour

I done the knowledge for the money and freedom.

If you own your own cab and work hard ( not really working as such )

You can make good money.

Trouble is loads of guys get their badge and enjoy the honeymoon period .

We say 2 years. After that you become a miserable git 555

I've got a few things on the side giving me money .

The cab is for living money.

Loads of London cabbies in pattaya.

Not bragging . But has the saying goes.

You'll never be rich driving a cab.

But you'll never starve.

Be lucky

I am not insulting Taxi Drivers! I like Taxi Drivers! Maybe you could answer the OP and tell him why you gave up such a good job driving cab to come here? The comparison I made was that a Taxi Driver in the UK could come to Thailand and with a minimum of Teacher Training could teach English here. But he could not do that back home with the same minimum training. So am I right? If so that that is not an insult! That is a compliment!

But when someone like you tries to tell me that a Taxi Driver in the UK can easily make over $156,000 US a year driving cab 6 days a week, well Bud, I know BS when I see it and I call it when I see it to.

Oh Ya! To me Make means money in my pocket after taxes and not what he handles. Otherwise all Bank Tellers Make over a Million a Year!

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521085224AA4j9sb

Per that link its stated London taxi drivers can earn up to GBP 100k p.a - so in colonial money thats USD 168k/p.a

So obviously you dont know BS when you see it....so don't step in it whistling.gif

Like I said

To earn 100K GBP you need to work 365. Like my mate.

I can't do it. Not many can but it is possible if your chasing .

My expenses just here are 1.2 M per year. I got kids.

And I want to do the best for them.

That's my life.

I'm not going into the ins and outs .

But everybody's situation is different.

We can discuss and debate. But all said and done I've only got what I've got.

No need to be jealous of someone else. For what ?

They ain't gonna give you anything

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I do not mean a good wage for you. Or a good wage for a University Graduate. Or a good wage for an experience highly trained Engineer like me.

What do you consider a good wage for a highly training engineer like you is ?

What do you consider a good wage for a Non-specific university graduate, on the understanding not all university graduates are created equal in the earnings stakes

Sorry! Off Topic!

That is like me asking you what an experienced Footballer should make.

not off topic at all...."you stated a good wage for an experienced highly trained engineer like me"

I am asking what you consider a good wage for a highly experienced highly trained engineer like you is ?.....I am not asking you speculate what a good salary is for a footballer, I am asking what you consider is a good wage in your own profession ?, you should know...even a salary banding is ok...

I don't work in Thailand! I Live Here!

The Op said he could not understand why Farangs would come here and work for peanuts. From the start I said I don't do that, but also understand why others do and gave my reasons.

What I earn in Africa, or Saudi Arabia, or Libya, or India, or Canada, or the USA, or the UK, and all other places I have worked in before is firstly

1) Off Topic as it has nothing to do with what the OP asked and this is Thai Visa discussing Thailand..

2) It is none of your Damned Business what I earn per year.

Hope that clears this up for you..

The point still remains that by working in Thailand, for the majority, you won't accumulate wealth. You will certainly earn enough to live in the Kingdom but even if we double the figures mentioned here from 30k to 60k baht it still isn't very much and certainly not a sum to make you wealthy. Earning money outside SE Asia is a better means of creating wealth or moving here once your wealth is adequate.

For example if you are earning 60k baht a month in Thailand then you have 4x the minimum wage but how will that fund a western pension or produce enough to guarantee an income once you retire?

Edited by Thaiberius
  • Like 1

Maybe they enjoy the experience..? and how do you know how much everybody here makes?

No idea how much they make...just saw ads for English teachers paying 30,000 baht per month. It just seems a miserable existence here if you have no money and a weak salary...what is it that attracts them to stay?

Well first 30,000 Baht a month is still double a good wage in Thailand and less hours. So if you live like a Thai then you should be able to live a comfortable life on that as things are cheaper here and you generally need less luxury..

I highly doubt the people you refer to are equal in there own country as they are here. An English Teacher here is not a sure thing they could be teachers back home, although some I am sure are that qualified. Just more not as qualified. So a Taxi Driver back home could in fact be an English Teacher here with minimal training. I am sure some people do that just for the experience. A Change is as good as a rest sometimes and this takes the boredom out of life.

But more often then not it is some special woman they met here. Perhaps on a short trip over here. I is not easy to just take some woman you met and bring here back home. So in order to stay together you have to come here. Jobs a very limited to Expats, but teaching is one you can do. So it is either go back home and work for years to save the money to bring her their, or come here.

I don't personally do this as I don't have to, but I do understand why someone would do this. For a little while anyway.

Yes an UK taxi driver back home could be an English Teacher here. But he would earn a lot less than driving the taxi:) And 30k is NOT "double a good wage in Thailand" . Do you really belive 15k is a good wage here in Thailand?

Yes! I do believe this because I know for a fact that 15,000 Baht for a Thai Worker is a good wage. That is what a University Educated Government Employee's starting wages are here. You might do better privately if you want to work more hours, but if you are not University Educated, which most Thais are not, then you will earn less.

You may not believe this, but what is also true is that the Minimum Wage in Thailand is 300 Baht per day. That you can easily look up for yourself! Unlike your country, there are probably more Thais working for minimum wage as a percentage (Farm Labour) then back in your country. So based on a 6 day week, and using Grade 2 Math, this works out to 24 days worked /month x 300 Baht / day = 7,200 Baht / month. If you double that this gives you 14,400 Baht a month.

Now if you were that person, wouldn't earning 15,000 Baht a month look to you like you just won the Lotto, or at least a good wage? Well then, how about earning 30,000 Baht per month as an English Teacher? As I said if you double the Minimum Wage that gives you 14,400 Baht a month, so then 15,000 Baht a month would be a good wage in Thailand. So since we established that 15,000 Baht a month is a good wage then in fact 30,000 Baht a month is double a good wage in Thailand, and as I said before.

Sure, you could be a Bus or Taxi Driver in London or New York and earn more than 30,000 Baht a month. But I pay 15,000 Baht a month for a nice fully furnished Condo with 2 Satellite TV\s and a private swimming pool to go for a swim in, and easy walking distance to the Beach. What do you think your Taxi Driver would pay for an equal Condo in London or New York?

Get the Picture?

Earning twice as much as the lowest paid worker in Thailand, does not make you look like you won the Lotto. It's still a rather low salary

I see you still don't get "The Picture".

Just look at your own country and the Minimum Wage there. Now double that.

Would you then not say that this new wage was a good wage. I do not mean a good wage for you. Or a good wage for a University Graduate. Or a good wage for an experience highly trained Engineer like me. I mean a good wage for the average person.

If the answer is yes, then why should not the same rule apply here? If your answer is no then carry a sign outside of McDonald's demanding your government pay them 3 time more money, so you can pay 3 times more for your hamburger.

If you are asking me personally if I think that 300 Baht a day is a wonderful wage for Thai's, or if I think it is a fare wage, then my answer is.......that this has nothing to do with the original Ops Post!

To tell you the truth I am more concerned with the Fat Cats and CEO's of large organizations who earn millions of dollars a year for going to a few Board Meetings a month then spend the rest of their time flying around in the Company Jet or Company Yacht, but then getting severance packages over 20 Million Dollars when they leave after 5 years, and whether that Stock went up or down in that period.

But what I will tell you is that many people think that the recent raise in Minimum Wage Rates from 200 Baht per day, to 300 Baht per day was far too much! So go after them! .

It's you who don't get the picture. First I can't look at the minimum wage in my own country. We don't have any law or rule for a minimum wage. But twice the amount of the lowest paid worker is a very low salary. Both in my home country and here in Thailand

The Op said he could not understand why Farangs would come here and work for peanuts. From the start I said I don't do that, but also understand why others do and gave my reasons.

What I earn in Africa, or Saudi Arabia, or Libya, or India, or Canada, or the USA, or the UK, and all other places I have worked in before is firstly

1) Off Topic as it has nothing to do with what the OP asked and this is Thai Visa discussing Thailand..

first off I never asked you what you earn weekly/yearly, I asked you what is considered a good wage in your own profession....read the question

Second if you believe its off topic - report it then

You are making statements on this topic, 30k/m is a good wage, THB 15k/m is a good wage for a Thai etc. and I am trying to establish a frame of reference as to why your saying that as people perceptions of things are usually tainted by their own experiences

From my perspective, and I do work Thailand and IMHO, THB 30k/m & TH 15k/m is not particularly good money even for a Thai, I contend they do not bring you a "comfortable life" as you have stated, of course "comfortable life" is relative.

I pointed you to a link about average Thai debt, and only considering the BKK part of the stats, the average "salary" in a Thai household was around THB 40/k/m, which is more than double than what you say is a good salary at 15k, for a Thai and more than the "good" THB 30k "farang wage

but more telling is the average debt people are getting into.

If your premise is correct, if 15k is such a good wage for a Thai, why even are THB +/-40k/m house holds are THB +/-250k in debt ???

Looking at this data, I think your whole premise is flawed,

I struggling to understand why you are getting so defensive.

All the Thai people i know seem to earn around 9,000 to 10,000 baht a month. and all seem to be quite happy with there lives.If you are single and live on your own ( like myself ) then you CAN live on 8,000 to 10,000 a month and have a fantastic lifestyle but as long as you don't need to " booze it up " every day! You can walk everywhere or invest in a bicycle-with the great weather here there is no excuse! I am an outside person that loves walks,beaches and going off on " adventures " taking photos and being out in the street chatting to " The world and there Wife " I would rather live on 10,000 baht a month and be Free than be working indoors in some " Office or Teaching Job " on 30,000 a month! and then feel like a " Caged Squirrel " ( narak ) .......

wai2.gif

• Like 1

All the Thai people i know seem to earn around 9,000 to 10,000 baht a month. and all seem to be quite happy with there lives.

May be earning, but is that what they a spending ?......how many are in debt with banks or loan sharks up to their eyeballs ?

All the Thai people i know seem to earn around 9,000 to 10,000 baht a month. and all seem to be quite happy with there lives.If you are single and live on your own ( like myself ) then you CAN live on 8,000 to 10,000 a month and have a fantastic lifestyle but as long as you don't need to " booze it up " every day

wai2.gif

I'm sorry but how on earth can you have a "fantastic lifestyle" on £200 per month? Yes, you may have frugal means and simple tastes but you do not have a fantastic lifestyle. I would much rather never see Thailand again than live on that. Additionally, what about your future? How can you save? How can you invest? How can you pay for medical treatment? I don't see how your quality of life can be very good living on an income that is the Thai minimum wage and that minimum wage is designed just to keep you barely above the poverty line.
  • Like 1

There is no problem with living in Thailand on a modest income until you have children to take care of.

Which is probably why you have so many TV users telling you how happy they are with the results of home schooling (hmm) whether or not they are being honest with themselves I don't know but they don't want to send the kids to the local glue factory and they can't afford the 500k a year for a not-even-decent international school.

Thailand = paradise for those without children.

• Like 1

first off I never asked you what you earn weekly/yearly, I asked you what is considered a good wage in your own profession....read the question
Second if you believe its off topic - report it then

You are making statements on this topic, 30k/m is a good wage, THB 15k/m is a good wage for a Thai etc. and I am trying to establish a frame of reference as to why your saying that as people perceptions of things are usually tainted by their own experiences

From my perspective, and I do work Thailand and IMHO, THB 30k/m & TH 15k/m is not particularly good money even for a Thai, I contend they do not bring you a "comfortable life" as you have stated, of course "comfortable life" is relative.

I pointed you to a link about average Thai debt, and only considering the BKK part of the stats, the average "salary" in a Thai household was around THB 40/k/m, which is more than double than what you say is a good salary at 15k, for a Thai and more than the "good" THB 30k "farang wage

but more telling is the average debt people are getting into.

If your premise is correct, if 15k is such a good wage for a Thai, why even are THB +/-40k/m house holds are THB +/-250k in debt ???

Looking at this data, I think your whole premise is flawed,

I struggling to understand why you are getting so defensive.

I am defensive as you are trying to twist something I said, into something I did not say, and in the process you go way off topic and into another category all together. But since I refused to answer as it is off topic you continue on like I am avoiding your question because I am afraid to answer. But since you persist on pursuing this, then lets continue.

You do not understand what the word "Good" means! For example. "I got a GOOD Mark in my Math Test." It would be GOOD that we could agree." It does not mean Fabulous! It does not mean Stupendous! It means okay, fine, above average, etc. A Wage of 15,000 Baht in Thailand is "Above Average" and also the going rate for new Government Employees. I do not speak from my hat when I say this. My Thai Wife has a BA and was an Accountant form the Thai Government Tax Department. Her starting wage was 15,000 Baht per month a couple of years ago.

Now whether this is a proper wage that a Thai should make, I would hope this wage could be tripled. But I can't say it should be or how it can be, as this now becomes a Political Issue. But consider this for a moment. When you bump up the Minimum Wage you will in theory bump up other higher wage earners to. Thailand enjoys low unemployment even if you want to call this underemployment. Now lets triple the Minimum Wage say from 7,500 Baht to 22,500 Baht and see what happens. That is still only $750 US a month, and what you still call a poor wage, but lets now consider the consequences.

Many factories and assembly plants would shut down and move to cheaper labour areas like China putting many Thai's out of work. How many privately owned shops would shut down because they no longer can afford their staff? What would happen to McDonalds? Do you think they could pass these costs onto now Unemployed Thais with a Triple Burger at a Triple Burger Price? Now KFC? Pizza Hut? Burger King? How are Rubber Tree Plantation Owners going to collect their Rubber from their Rubber Trees? What are the Rice Farmers and Sugar Farmers going to do when they now have to pay triple price for Farm Labour? Hell! They have enough problems collecting for there Rice they sold already and competing with Rice Prices from Vietnam.

Sure! It all sounds fine and good to say Thai's don't earn enough money so give them all a huge wage increase and I wish that could happen. But realistically putting over half the Thai Population out of work and unemployed is not helping! It is making matters much worst and that is why I keep my nose out of this! In my book it is better to have a job and be able to provide for you and your family to eat at least, then no job at all!

I just have to remember the scenery from my train ride from Bombay to Surat Indian, to compare life there to here. The first 20 or 30 km was nothing more than a huge garbage dump piled sky high, all along both sides of the tracks. Seeing the kids picking though it looking for what they can sell or eat. The smaller kids playing on these huge hills with Pot Bellies from Malnutrition. Living in Shanty Shacks I would not let my Dog sleep in for fear something would fall on his head.

So perhaps instead of comparing Thailand to Canada, the UK, Europe, Australia, or the States, why not for a change compare Thailand to Bombay or Surat India? Where at the Train Station you see loads of kids with either no arms or legs, as they make better beggars this way, so they are chopped off by the Master when they are young. Where in Surat my Driver almost hit an old man who flopped dead on the road. which I gather from starvation, as his legs where sticks and you couldn't find a cm of fat on him if you looked all day. Where 2 Shop Keepers later came over, picked him up, and threw him into the bushes to clear the road. So when you live in a land where you can have a job at least, and where your small 300 Baht per day wages can but you at least 10 kg of Sticky Rice a day, it is not so bad when you look at the big picture. One 50kg of Rice in Northern Thailand is about 1,500 Baht, last time I looked.

Debt! You talk like all Thais are borrowing money to eat as they can't live off their wages. But mention they all have Cell Phones. That is ridiculous! Thai's go into debt for the same reasons most people all over the world go into debt. To buy a House, or Car, or other luxury items. With Interest Rates at historical lows, and Government Incentives to buy Cars, it is just a good time to go into debt, to buy that Car, if you planned to anyway, as you payments are smaller now.

You also make the Debt Problem in Thailand like they are the only country in the world going through this right now. That is total and complete nonsense! The Canadian Government recently stepped in and made it more difficult to buy homes on mortgages because Canadians are carrying far too much debt right now. I don't doubt it is the same in the USA, UK, Europe, Australia, and the rest of the world right now to.

The Canadian Banks have determined that the maximum amount of Debt Load one could have should not exceed 40% of the totally family Gross Income. Using your example of a Thai Family earning 40k Baht a month this equates to 480,0000 Baht per year. So 40% of that is 192,000 Baht. Then you mention that the average house hold debt is 250,000 Baht, and as though we all should be alarmed or frightened by these huge numbers.

Well, 250K Baht is over the 40% limit, actually around 52%, but by no means frightening or alarming. But first I am going to tell you brother to look in your own back yard first. The Canadian Debt to Income in Canada Households is 164%, and using your figures is 3 times more % wise than Thailand. Probably the same for your country to. But knowing you won't believe me here is a LINK.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCABREA2D0V220140314

But why say 2 wrongs make a right so lets move on and say 52% of the family income going into paying off debt is bad. Or is it? If you borrowed this money to drink it all up, then it is bad. But what if this borrowed money was used to buy a house or more land to cultivate, thus increases you future income? Is it still a bad debt then? You may see on these records they show you are 250K in debt, but for what? If you now own a house now worth 250K does this not cancel your debt on the assets and liabilities column of the Balance Sheet?

I personally think a lot of Thais may have gone into debt to buy a Car, with the Government Rebate Offered to do this. I can\t prove this right and you can\t prove this wrong, so no point debating it. But unlike a house a car does lose some value on the first day you own it. A 250 K car make lose up to 40% the first year and now worth 150K. But since you can still sell it for that, your debt is still only 100K and well below the 40% Max. Limit of 192K. So now you know why I was also not shocked by these huge debt figures, as they are not so high and it greatly depends on what they went into debt for.

Now do you get the Big Picture? .

You don't want me to give you a weekly/yearly Dollar Figure but yet you continue to ask what I think is a good wage is in My Profession. How would you like me to give that to you? In Chickens, Cattle, or Water Buffalo? What a ridiculous question! It also depends on location, added benefits, and other things. If I was offered a position in London where they were going to provide my furnished accommodations and utilities to me for free, or the same position in Manchester, paying 50 GBP more a month, which one would you chose? Or the same job in the middle of the Sahara Desert, or Jungle, wouldn't you expect to be paid more? But please don't say this never happens as it happens to me all the time.

You are right in saying people sometimes look at things from there own point of view and thus become narrow minded. I see that in you, There are plenty of jobs all over the world where you do not have to live their and work 9 to 5. Just because you do. All of my jobs have been outside of Thailand. On my last one I worked 28 days on and then 28 days off where I came to Thailand most times as my air plane ticket was free. I am not alone in doing this as I know and met many others.

So I have the best of two worlds by earning Expat Wages and yet being able to live here. I will continue to do this as long as I can. So to get back to your question, I honestly can't answer what a Engineer with my skills should earn as a wage but to me money is not the most important, as I am sure this is true with many posters here, including Taxi Drivers. I would not quit a job like this for 50% more money to go to London, free accommodations or not, or Canada. .

The point still remains that by working in Thailand, for the majority, you won't accumulate wealth. You will certainly earn enough to live in the Kingdom but even if we double the figures mentioned here from 30k to 60k baht it still isn't very much and certainly not a sum to make you wealthy. Earning money outside SE Asia is a better means of creating wealth or moving here once your wealth is adequate.

For example if you are earning 60k baht a month in Thailand then you have 4x the minimum wage but how will that fund a western pension or produce enough to guarantee an income once you retire?

No! That is not the Point! That is a known fact that everyone here already knows, and not one poster here said otherwise. It is only YOU who says it is the Point!

The Point is, and the poster knowing you are not accumulating wealth by doing so, "Why do so many farang here work for peanuts". There has been many good answers and reasons given by many poster here including my favorite, which being the high cost of peanuts here. Also life is not all about earning money al the time. Some people are adventurous and are willing to give up a few years of there life to try something new, which doesn't always have a monetary gain.

But this has all been said already so now I think the Real Point here is you do not read any of these good post and explanations, as you don't care to learn anything from long time Farangs. But instead choose to just go on and on with your dribble, and in the process make yourself look more foolish. The one sure thing I know is that nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head to come here and work here for peanuts, and since it is their life then.....Up-to-you!

All the Thai people i know seem to earn around 9,000 to 10,000 baht a month. and all seem to be quite happy with there lives.If you are single and live on your own ( like myself ) then you CAN live on 8,000 to 10,000 a month and have a fantastic lifestyle but as long as you don't need to " booze it up " every day! You can walk everywhere or invest in a bicycle-with the great weather here there is no excuse! I am an outside person that loves walks,beaches and going off on " adventures " taking photos and being out in the street chatting to " The world and there Wife " I would rather live on 10,000 baht a month and be Free than be working indoors in some " Office or Teaching Job " on 30,000 a month! and then feel like a " Caged Squirrel " ( narak ) .......

wai2.gif

Ha ha Fantastic lifestyle on 8-10k baht a month.

You can't even have any healthcare/insurence. Or go to the dentist or doctor/hospital. I can't even see that you csn afford any photography equipment that you like. Which also include a computer today. And visa and travel cost.

8-10k is barely enough to survive on if you never get sick or have any accident.

And you are never free and happy when you can't do anything. You can just walk between you room and the beach. Because it's cheap to stay there.

Of course all Thai people you know earn 9-10k. You can never go to a place where the Thai people with good salaries go. So you never meet those people.

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

No! That is not the Point! That is a known fact that everyone here already knows, and not one poster here said otherwise. It is only YOU who says it is the Point!

The Point is, and the poster knowing you are not accumulating wealth by doing so, "Why do so many farang here work for peanuts". There has been many good answers and reasons given by many poster here including my favorite, which being the high cost of peanuts here. Also life is not all about earning money al the time. Some people are adventurous and are willing to give up a few years of there life to try something new, which doesn't always have a monetary gain.

But this has all been said already so now I think the Real Point here is you do not read any of these good post and explanations, as you don't care to learn anything from long time Farangs. But instead choose to just go on and on with your dribble, and in the process make yourself look more foolish. The one sure thing I know is that nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head to come here and work here for peanuts, and since it is their life then.....Up-to-you!

Calm down you angry little man.

The main point that I am getting across in my post and contrary to your rather inarticulate way of putting it, there are many who don't realise the concept of earning wealth in Thailand. Many think because the cost of living is cheap they can become wealthy by owning a bar or a small hotel or any number of other small businesses. The fact is they can't. Why do you think there are so many who choose to end it all by joining the jumpers club? It's because a good proportion of these people don't realise until its too late that once you make the move to Thailand, cut all ties, sell property and sink your savings into a Thailand-based business these is absolutely no way back toyour old life. These is no way of rebuilding your past affluence. There are some people who realise this but I will guarantee youthat the bright lights, sense of adventure, challenges that Thailand offers blind many to the pitfalls.

But of course you knew that didn't you Mr GB?

Calm down you angry little man.

The main point that I am getting across in my post and contrary to your rather inarticulate way of putting it, there are many who don't realise the concept of earning wealth in Thailand. Many think because the cost of living is cheap they can become wealthy by owning a bar or a small hotel or any number of other small businesses. The fact is they can't. Why do you think there are so many who choose to end it all by joining the jumpers club? It's because a good proportion of these people don't realise until its too late that once you make the move to Thailand, cut all ties, sell property and sink your savings into a Thailand-based business these is absolutely no way back toyour old life. These is no way of rebuilding your past affluence. There are some people who realise this but I will guarantee youthat the bright lights, sense of adventure, challenges that Thailand offers blind many to the pitfalls.

But of course you knew that didn't you Mr GB?

In addition to getting rather hyperactive, Mr GB seems to waffle a lot without making a point...trying reading his little diatribe above, my head was hurting its all over the place...

By the time you have paid for work permit , visa and annual renewals, Its not worth working in Thailand. But its the same in all third world countries.

speak for yourself, I am about 30% up in Thailand on what I would be earning for the same job in farangland, after tax,

Further working in some 3rd world countries can net you some very serious money...many times farangland salaries for the same job

so stop talking rubbish...

Doing what job? I'm an engineer in the oil and gas industry. Working in West Africa or the Middle East there is a premium paid on top of my earnings but in Thailand the money is pisspoor. I've never seen any job in Thailand that pays "serious money" unless your interpretation of "serious money" and my interpretation are vastly different.

So am I, and I can assure you the money in Thailand is comparable to West Africa (Angola) and the Middle east, however that "lovely tourist spot" Nigeria does pay more, and one assumes somewhere like the Congo would pay more.

You will note in my comments, I did not say Thailand offered "serious money"...what I was saying was there are certain 3rd world countries where if you go and work there, typically because they are sh*t holes, you can make many times the money you would get in farangland for the same job, this was in response to "Cylons" comment " Its not worth working in Thailand. But its the same in all third world countries"

"Serious money" is a relative term of course, but I suppose I would consider someone being offering 2.0 -2.5 times their already " internationally competitive" salary to go and work somewhere (typically because its not a nice place) is getting into the "serious money" league relative to their prevailing salary

E.g. if the prevailing "rate" for someone is $ 1000/day and they are offer $2500 or $ 3000/day to go somewhere to work, couldn't we concede this is "serious money" but one supposes the first question would be why are they offering that money..rolleyes.gif ?

If you work O&G internationally you know yourself a specific job position with X number of year experience will attract a similar band of salary spread, irrespective of where it is...ie there are "international" prevailing rates, and depending on the country there is an uplift on your "base" for that position

In terms of Thailand having piss poor money When it comes to Thailand, they follow the same "rules"

Although I don't claim to know all the farang's working the game here, but the ones I do know, not one of them took a pay cut for the privilege of working in Thailand, and most are up 25%-30% on their previous jobs they left, whether the middle east/Africa/UK/US etc.

Everyone that I know took a pay cut for the privilege to work here. The most common work is probably working as a teacher. And I have never meet or known a teacher in Thailand that have the same salary and benefits as a normal average teacher in my home country

Everyone that I know took a pay cut for the privilege to work here. The most common work is probably working as a teacher. And I have never meet or known a teacher in Thailand that have the same salary and benefits as a normal average teacher in my home country

everyone to their own I guess, but you have to question their motives then for doing what they did ?

For me personally, if they expected me to take a pay cut for the privilege of coming to Thailand when took the job here, they would have been looking for someone else for the job.

I guess I have been lucky in my career, I have never been out of a job and if I really wanted "out" of somewhere, typically a few phone calls sorts that out and I move on, there is a lot to be said for the concept of networking and always remember where ever you are in the world and who ever you work with don't ever "p*ss" on people who are working for you/working with, as one day you may be looking for a job and the person interviewing you may be someone you p*ssed on somewhere in a "previous life"....wink.png

I never said I camehere to teach.

Couldn't afford it. Too many out goings.

If I worked every day for the year driving the cab then yes those figures are acheavable.

But I DONT .

I come and go.

Work 2 months

Off 2 months.

The OP asked . Why do they work for peanuts ?

They don't. The cost of living here and the way of life is by far superior to the west.

Who wants to work in a UK school for exactly peanuts .

And the kids don't want to study.

You'll probably get punched by one and the ILEA will say it's your fault.

The west is good in some things and bad in some.

I have the upmost respect for teachers .

They do a hard job here or there.

Because what we don't see is what they do out of hours.

Marking .planning lessons etc

My friend in London is a teacher. And she has a BA

So let's not rush to judge them

BS ???

Never from me

ILEA hasn't existed since 1990 but don't let that stop you.

everyone to their own I guess, but you have to question their motives then for doing what they did ?

For me personally, if they expected me to take a pay cut for the privilege of coming to Thailand when took the job here, they would have been looking for someone else for the job.

I guess I have been lucky in my career, I have never been out of a job and if I really wanted "out" of somewhere, typically a few phone calls sorts that out and I move on, there is a lot to be said for the concept of networking and always remember where ever you are in the world and who ever you work with don't ever "p*ss" on people who are working for you/working with, as one day you may be looking for a job and the person interviewing you may be someone you p*ssed on somewhere in a "previous life"....wink.png

Yes most of them took the large paycut because they like to stay in Thailand. And nothing wrong in doing that for a few years when you are young

• Like 1

Yes most of them took the large paycut because they like to stay in Thailand. And nothing wrong in doing that for a few years when you are young
Your points are taken and understood.

An ex-colleague was so intent on working here he got himself a job on a land rig somewhere up north. He is currently getting about one third the going rate for the job. Whilst the rate is relatively low in the industry it is still many times the rate he could expect working as a teacher or similar. I understand his desire to stay in-country but don't we work to earn money? If doing a rotation of 4/4 in Angola for instance the salary would be much improved and one month out of every two could be spent in the Kingdom. Much as I love being in Thailand there are some things I wouldn't compromise on and these include money for doing a job. Many farang are willing to compromise over money and therefore live in Thailand on not much more than the minimum wage. If you are using the experience as a stepping stone for a more lucrative position in the future then fair enough although I suspect this is not the case in many examples.

I'm not believing people came to Thailand for a wage cut and the "pleasure" of working there that's complete BS.

There are those who may take early retirement from careers in their home country and reckon they can afford to do so and then there are younger ones who may be deeply dissatisfied with their existing careers and want to take a break and find something else. There are many examples of those who have given up well-paid well-established careers in order to work for NGOs all over the world. Working in Thailand doing TEFL is a variation on that.

I'm not believing people came to Thailand for a wage cut and the "pleasure" of working there that's complete BS.

Many I know came for a double salary. They're Western salary is paid to their Western account, then their expenses are paid - rent and international schooling - and then their Thai salary is paid in baht on top of these.

Nobody comes to Thailand to work! (I haven't worked in years!) I came to Thailand to live a Thai lifestyle and eat Thai food.But enjoy the great "outdoor life" that it offers! I don't see the point in working in a country that offers fan weather with great beaches and beautiful green countryside to enjoy! Who would want to come here and spend all day working in doors and look "as white as a sheet" .........greetings from the beach viewers! x

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nobody comes to Thailand to work! (I haven't worked in years!) I came to Thailand to live a Thai lifestyle and eat Thai food.But enjoy the great "outdoor life" that it offers! I don't see the point in working in a country that offers fan weather with great beaches and beautiful green countryside to enjoy! Who would want to come here and spend all day working in doors and look "as white as a sheet" .........greetings from the beach viewers! x

Couldn't stand being on a beach all day every day. Talk about boring.

Not for the pleasure of working her. But for the pleasure of living here.

Not the case with my friend. He can't wait to move his family away from the country. He is unfortunately tied here financially - full Western salary paid into his UK accound and 100% invested. 240k baht expenses for his rent and International schooling at one of the top 3 Int. Schools here, and then his Thai salary on top which must be close to 1m baht.

• Like 1