Lumpini Park to reopen for public on 19 May

webfact

Lumpini Park to reopen for public on 19 May

BANGKOK, 13 The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is urgently cleaning Lumpini Park after the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) left. The BMA expects that the park will resume its normal service on 19 May.

BMA Spokesperson Tridao Apaiwong said cleaners from many BMA district offices were cleaning the park and repairing what was broken both inside the park and in the surrounding areas.

The BMA had requested police officers from the explosive ordinance disposal unit to inspect the park for safety. The park would reopen after the officers finished their security checks, Ms Tridao said.

The PDRC relocated from Lumpini Park on 12 May to its new main rally site on Ratchadamnoen road in front of the UN Building in Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-13 footer_n.gif

Drove past Lumpini this afternoon. Gates closed at all sections, and the damage to pathways/entrance at Rama V statue is hideous. Glimpsing through the hedging from Rama IV there appears to be a lot of debris left behind. At the Wittayu/Rama IV entrance 10 or so garbage trucks waiting to get stuck in with the clean-up. Cleaning up will be fine, but the damage to grass and other flora will take many months to recover. I truly hope this park is not abused this way again. As I've said in another post, it would have been a good opportunity for the BMA to get the whole place in order from lackluster general maintenance lasting well before the recent protesters' occupation. One rather thinks the sanitary conditions of lawns etc are probably pretty dire. I think I'll wait for a few rainstorms to clear the top layer of that unsavoury cocktail.

• Like 1

And not so long ago I remember reading an article about how Suthep and the anti-government protesters were going to clean up the park, and a following comment on the article saying that 'that is what civilized people do' - well there you go, I need say no more. Looks like the sun doesn't shine out of all the PDRC's / anti-government protesters asses afterall.

• Like 2

Drove past Lumpini this afternoon. Gates closed at all sections, and the damage to pathways/entrance at Rama V statue is hideous. Glimpsing through the hedging from Rama IV there appears to be a lot of debris left behind. At the Wittayu/Rama IV entrance 10 or so garbage trucks waiting to get stuck in with the clean-up. Cleaning up will be fine, but the damage to grass and other flora will take many months to recover. I truly hope this park is not abused this way again. As I've said in another post, it would have been a good opportunity for the BMA to get the whole place in order from lackluster general maintenance lasting well before the recent protesters' occupation. One rather thinks the sanitary conditions of lawns etc are probably pretty dire. I think I'll wait for a few rainstorms to clear the top layer of that unsavoury cocktail.

not sure what this means, but as someone who rode my bike there daily before the occupation, i saw no faults in the parks maintenance. i found it quite remarkable really, very much an oasis.

granted the public toilets weren't a treat, but then they rarely are anywhere.

I was there yesterday at the main gates and the 'crazy' woman who feeds the cats turned up. She had a bag of cat food, but the guards would not even let her in. She was very distraught but eventually accepted that the guard would take the food and feed the cats for her.

Somehow I don't think the cats would have gone hungry with all that rubbish lying around.

Now as for the dogs.....

Good riddance to bad rubbish - i think that is how the saying goes. The rubbish being the PRDC of course. Hooray for Lumpini Park being accessible again. May we hope and pray they don't come back - nor the Reds for that matter.

The fact that a national treasure and oasis like this park could have been occupied for so long unlawfully by a group says much about the state of Thailand . It's was a real contrast to walk around Embassy Mall last weekend and then witness just blocks away the masses of people living in tents at park with government troops ready for action .post-202056-14001299342158_thumb.jpgpost-202056-14001298779313_thumb.jpg

What we think we become ...

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed resuming the Sunday constitutional today in Lumpini. The great trees are unaffected, but the recent (within the last 12 months) plantings of shubbery are in need of TLC, and in some cases replanting. Some areas are in need of landscaping. Efforts are being made to regrow the grass which was covered by protester tents. Some areas are in quite a dilapidated state - broken pathways, missing and potentially dangerous drain covers. But luckily with the rainy season upon us, things should grow back within a few months. I even saw one water lizard.

post-36039-0-49373400-1401008099_thumb.j

post-36039-0-75992600-1401008261_thumb.j

post-36039-0-28915800-1401008376_thumb.j

not sure what this means, but as someone who rode my bike there daily before the occupation, i saw no faults in the parks maintenance. i found it quite remarkable really, very much an oasis.

granted the public toilets weren't a treat, but then they rarely are anywhere.

Perhaps if you put it in the context of parks in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Tokyo etc you might understand my comment. Even closer to home Benjakiti is better maintained, and there are none of the privately (rented?) sitting and covered areas that are a mishmash of design, broken seating and overhead torn canopies and umbrellas.

Lumpini is number one but we all have different taste .. Pictures from yesterday and park was stunningly beautiful with so many working out. , like a big outdoor health club !post-202056-14010184306001_thumb.jpgpost-202056-14010185178351_thumb.jpgpost-202056-1401018552591_thumb.jpgpost-202056-14010185691063_thumb.jpgpost-202056-1401018607752_thumb.jpgpost-202056-14010186225914_thumb.jpg

What we think we become ...