Need Advice Please

djc45

Can anyone give me advice on having a new desk top pc built i.e what processor as I am unsure as to what would be the best for my cash

Also what is the best way to store dvd’s on my hard drive as they take so much hard drive space

thanks

No one can give you good advice until you tell them what you are going to use the PC for.

As for Hard Drives and DVD's... Buy a dvd burner, they aren't expensive. Very cheap. Create your own DVD's. Not hard.

g-

...and also not easily, because far away of Bangkok I think (Khon Kaen).

Hi

I will use the pc for music,video,dvds,photos ect I am not in to games

The reason I mention storing dvds on the hard drive is so I can view them on my laptop when I travel as I have some 300 gig usb hard drives and it would be far better than taking individual disks plus disks do get damaged

I can get one built in khon kean but I would like to have an idea as to what would be the best

My budget is around 70-100,000bht

Hi

The reason I mention storing dvds on the hard drive is so I can view them on my laptop when I travel as I have some 300 gig usb hard drives and it would be far better than taking individual disks plus disks do get damaged

I can get one built in khon kean but I would like to have an idea as to what would be the best

For that amount of money you could built a high-end machine. Take a look at www.tomshardware.com for more info in building pc.

Edited by Thaising

Hi,

You don't have to spend anything near that. Your main components are:

Mainboard: Do get a brand name mainboard - my preference is Asus, Intel, or maybe Gibabyte - NOT Asrock. High end Asus will cost around 8,000 baht with 1 Gpbs LAN port, sound card built in, etc. It should have SATA support and PCI Express video slot - all the new MBs do.

CPU: Pentium 4 775 pin Prescott with Hyper-Threading Technology around 3.0 ghz. I would not buy 64 bit right now especially if you are not into gaming.

RAM: 2 GB Kingston brand RAM.

Hard drive - I love the Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA drives with 5 yr warranty. They will cost you roughly twice what the same capacity 7,200 RPM drive cost and I think are not available larger than 150 GB which may not be enough for you and the shop will even have to order that size, but for me I would still get that and if need be, another 300 GB 7,200 RPM one.

Display card: Don't know much about them as I work with office computers/servers, but the real high end ones are mostly bought by gamers. Probably anything with 256 MB would be fine for video, and for video DVI interface would be a good idea.

DVD burner: 300 GB is going to take a heck of a lot of DVD's. I was reading about some new doubling technology (in the shops now, i think) which will give you roughly 8 GB per DVD - not much when you want to copy 300 GB to them!

Monitor: Absolutely do not buy a monitor on the basis of specs but how you like it. In other words, don't buy one you don't have the opportunity to try out. If you want DVI interface then the monitor as well as the display card must support it.

Any competent shop can put this together for you.

Peter

Hi

PMK, I think you're a little bit behind on processors. The current Pentium processors are dual core, and all pretty much support 64 bit (you don't need to use 64 bit software).

As for DVD burners, most currently can do 8.4GB on dual layer discs. Problem is, dual layer discs are VERY expensive... at least 200 baht, compared to 20 baht for single layer 4.3GB discs.

The biggest hard drives now are 750GB (not really available here) and 500GB (available, but very expensive). There's really no need to get 10k rpm drives unless you're a speed freak. If you want to store movies, you can rip and convert them to Divx/WMV, which will make them take a fraction of the space, but still be close to original quality. Notebook drives, at least the ones sold here, don't go any higher than 120GB.

Don't forget to get a good case, good mouse, good keyboard, and good power supply to complement all the really nice stuff you buy.

Firefoxx,

The OP didn't ask what was cutting edge, but for recommendations for a specific purpose and I made suggestions accordingly. I'm aware of dual core and 64 bit but I bought a new MB/CPU a few weeks ago and chose not to go that route myself just yet.

Peter

PMK, I think you're a little bit behind on processors. The current Pentium processors are dual core, and all pretty much support 64 bit (you don't need to use 64 bit software).

DVDs can be ripped to WMV/Divx, just like CDs can be ripped to MP3s. You can also store them normally in their native format (without the copy protection), but that takes a bit of space.

Thanks for the info

Could you tell me what software I would need please and if possible where I could get it

DVDs can be ripped to WMV/Divx, just like CDs can be ripped to MP3s. You can also store them normally in their native format (without the copy protection), but that takes a bit of space.

Thanks for the info

Could you tell me what software I would need please and if possible where I could get it

i.e. under freeware by versiontracker:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.p...windows&x=0&y=0