Different ways to say "please."

Grawburg

Hello everyone. Curious if someone can share a rule of thumb or grammar rules on how to properly say please. For example, would these be different?

1)Please give me some tea.

2) Give me some tea please.

3) Would I like some tea? Yes, please.

"Noi krub" seems right for #2, but not sure about the others. Also, I see "ka-ru-na" written, but never heard anyone say it.

Thanks for the pointers.

The usual word to make a request is khɔ̌ɔ. You'd need it in both 1 & 2.

karunaa is formal. Usually used in written language, e.g. signs in the car park. proot is even more formal.

noy khrap is added to the end of a sentence by men to be polite, and to suggest it's only a slight imposition. You still need the khɔ̌ɔ.

With #3, would use the verb aw meaning "want". The response would be aw khrap.

Thanks...yes, I would certainly use "kaw" with 1 and 2.

For #3, wouldn't "yak gin" or "yak dum" be better or with food/objects "ow" is just as good?

(Sorry for the bad transliterations.)

Never heard of proot...good one to learn.

Never heard of proot...good one to learn.

I assume he means โปรด or bpròht. And as mentioned, I've only seen กรุณา (garuuna) written on signs or similar never heard it spoken. ขอ means to ask for something and if one wants some intensity to it like to beg for something than ขอร้อง. smile.png

Then there is chern, when you want to invite someone to do something: chern kao maa - please come in

And chuai if you want someone to do sth for you: chuai bpid bpradtoo - please close the door.

This can be followed by duai, noi, or dai mai to make it even more polite

Here is an example of two signs at our office. Both are formal with garuuna being more formal than broht. Both say please close the door. Usually please is within the context and structure of the sentence (IMO). For example kaw bpit siang bow noi (ask to turn the sound down). The kaw and noi gives it a polite effect and alludes to please.

post-566-0-00585700-1400146648_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-86268000-1400146655_thumb.jpg

bpròht is the sort of thing they say before a message on a Tannoy... will never forget it, used to drive me crazy in the old airport!

Yes, in my experience " โปรด " is used on signs on the roads, for instance to say " please slow down because there are works ahead ", and " กรุณา " is used in shops to ask customers to do something, or to ask them to take off their shoes before entering a shop or a temple . Also โปรด in shops, but less than กรุณา

Edited by Aforek

In the second example given above by Tywais , the last word " ด้วย " , usually asociated with ขอ at the beginning of the sentence, means also " please "

a very common expression heard in the restaurants is " kep tang douay", please collect the money, give me the bill

Learn the "ขอ request หน่อย" construction thingy a very polite way to ask someone for something or do do something. I'm not sure about my spelling as im on me phone but no doubt someone will do it in more detail

Edited by HeavyDrinker

In the second example given above by Tywais , the last word " ด้วย " , usually asociated with ขอ at the beginning of the sentence, means also " please "

a very common expression heard in the restaurants is " kep tang douay", please collect the money, give me the bill

Have to disagree here.

In the context referenced "ด้วย" in no way translates as "please" - at best it's a simple instruction to a subordinate requiring them to do their duty.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Have to disagree here.

In the context referenced "ด้วย" in no way translates as "please" - at best it's a simple instruction to a subordinate requiring them to do their duty.

Patrick

ด้วย means "too" or "also". It's used when somebody has previously provided a service and you want them to do something else. It doesn't mean "please" and it's not "a simple instruction to a subordinate". It is, however, polite.