Getting a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur

Hi!

Because of the recent changes, my friends and I are flying to KL for a few days to get our visas next week.

We want to get an extended tourist visa so we don't have to fly out every month, and I'm not exactly sure how this works.

Is this just called a "tourist" visa?

Does anyone know if the embassy in KL does double-entry tourist visas?

Do I need to bring anything with me besides passport photos, passport and money to pay the visa?

I have 3 or 4 re-entry stamps, will this be a problem?

Thank you!

They only do single entry tourist visas. A tourist visa is what you will be applying for.

I can't say anything for sure about KL because there have been mixed reports. For some people they have been asking for financial proof that can only be obtained by Malaysians and others not

Savannakhet is also still issuing double entry.

I would bring evidence of 20,000B and an onward flight just to be sure.

1. REQUIREMENTS FOR THAI TOURIST VISA

This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wishing to enter Thailand for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form completely filled out
- One recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
- Air ticket or eTicket paid in full
- Financial means (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary

3. VISA FEE

USD 30.00 per entry or equivalent (as per 2008-01-17)
(Visa fee may be changed without prior notice)

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months or six months. That means that you must utilize your visa within 90 or 180 days (dependent on number of entries) .

5. PERIOD OF STAY

Upon arrival, travellers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days or 60 days.
Nationals of countries which are on Thailand’s Tourist Visa Exemption list or have bilateral agreements on visa exemption with Thailand will be permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 60 days. Nationals from other countries who hold a tourist visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days

6. EXTENSION OF STAY

Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their status of visa must file an application for permission at [their local immigration office]

Some good links for you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/tourist-visa.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/189375-latest-reports-of-getting-a-visa-in-the-region/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

That very general information you posted and certainly does not apply at all locations.

Savannakhet and Vientiane do not ask for ticket out or financial proof.

You pay 1000 baht for each entry.

Kuala Lumpur Thai embassy only issue first time without asking any question for second time apply many question ask before the staff can proceed need this and that very hard for second and third timer to get a tourist visa , I saw some Chinese national being reject on window before they allow to summit for second time. Since crack down on fake visa scam started in KL embassy if we recalled the incident last year.

Kuala Lumpur Thai embassy only issue first time without asking any question for second time apply many question ask before the staff can proceed need this and that very hard for second and third timer to get a tourist visa , I saw some Chinese national being reject on window before they allow to summit for second time. Since crack down on fake visa scam started in KL embassy if we recalled the incident last year.

It wasn't a fake visa scam. It was visa stickers stolen from the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. wink.png

Perhaps in the current climate it is better to be safe than sorry though?

Please expound on this.

What recent changes?

What I mean is that in light of the recent announcement about scrutinising tourists who have been using back-to-back visa exempt entries, it might be safer to comply with all the stated requirements, whether or not they have been enforced in the past. For instance, when I flew back into CM from KL on Monday, I had already purchased a cheap ticket out of the country and had 20k in cash on me, neither of which I would have bothered to do in the past.

Maybe it won't be necessary for anybody else but I only had two visa exempt entries in my passport following the expiry of a multiple non-imm O visa and I was questioned more closely than at any other time I have entered Thailand in the past.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that but given that the poster already has "3 or 4 re-entry stamps", I thought it might be a good idea for her to cover all her bases. I guess we won't know if it will become more difficult to apply for tourist visas from consulates in neighbouring countries if you have a number of re-entry stamps in your passport until people start to report. Me, I just prefer to err on the side of caution at the moment.

• Like 1

Those changes have nothing to do with getting tourist visas from an embassy or consulate. They are all about doing to many back to back visa exempt entries.

I wonder if this will affect those of us who work offshore and use the visa exempt option (don't have time enough when in Thailand to do the proper Non-O based on marriage). It's not exactly back to back since most of us are away from Thailand slightly longer than we're in country, but I guess we will be affected too. This will be a huge problem for me, the mrs and the kids.

Time will tell....sad.png

Those changes have nothing to do with getting tourist visas from an embassy or consulate. They are all about doing to many back to back visa exempt entries.

I wonder if this will affect those of us who work offshore and use the visa exempt option (don't have time enough when in Thailand to do the proper Non-O based on marriage). It's not exactly back to back since most of us are away from Thailand slightly longer than we're in country, but I guess we will be affected too. This will be a huge problem for me, the mrs and the kids.

You can get multiple entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai in Savannakhet Laos. You apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

They don't ask for financial proof.

But even without it you will not be effected the new rules because you do not do Out-In trips. You are spending time out of the country between your departures and entries.

Hi

I just received my single entry visa today at the KL Thai embassy. No problems and I have way more than 3 or 4 (30 day) entry stamps in my passport. I did not try to get double or multiple, but the option is there on the forms.

• Cost 110 Ringgits
  • Needed photo copy of passport
  • 1 photo even though the form says 2
  • Evidence of financial support not needed (but I had anyway)
  • I just said I had a wedding to go to and I would also be typical Joe tourist having a look
  • Apply in the morning between 9:30am and 11:30am (20 to 30 people there when I applied
  • Pick up next day between 2:30pm and 4:30pm
  • Forms at the embassy or online

Otherwise no problems

You can get multiple entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai in Savannakhet Laos. You apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

But even without it you will not be effected the new rules because you do not do Out-In trips. You are spending time out of the country between your departures and entries.

I sure hope that you're right!smile.png

I have thought about the Savannakhet option for a while now. Better just go ahead and do it before they close this option. Is there anyplace else in the world where they grant 1 year non-O based on marriage?

I sure hope that you're right!smile.png

I have thought about the Savannakhet option for a while now. Better just go ahead and do it before they close this option. Is there anyplace else in the world where they grant 1 year non-O based on marriage?

A new report of getting one yesterday was just posted a bit ago.

The non-o based upon marriage is available at many locations around world. Many in Europe, US and Canada and Australia.