The New Visa Enforcements

N47HAN

Another thread heading into a slanging match .

Here we go again.

Now if i may go back to my OP ,

Has anyone information that nots hearsay or conjecture.

Im sure theres a few guys here that would like some real info.

But hey ... For TV that could be a first :-)

Edit were on page 7 , so normal. Apolagies . Lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why turn them, and their money, away? Why make illegal immigrants out of them?

There are many self funded under 50's living here.

What about the contract workers? The guys that work for 6 months in their home country and live here for the other 6 months? The various FIFO oil/gas and miners who have made their base here? What about the many merchant ship workers.

I have just named a few of the demographic that would easily qualify for an appropriate visa, should one exist.

The same visa laws just can't keep serving Thailand forever. The country needs to move with the times.

Don't you think it ridiculous that a guy like David Beckham couldn't even live here, if he was not playing/coaching football, simply because he is under 50 years of age?

In what decade do you think Thailand should review their visa laws? smile.png

Beckham could reside here on an investment visa, 10 million baht in a FD at Govt Bank- and would pay tax on the interest., Or he could put his kids in school and have a guardian visa . Fact is, Thailand wants foreigners to work, to pay taxes and hire Thais for their businesses. Fairly sound policy for a developing country.

When they don't enforce the rules, and allow , even encourage this border running, year in and year out , and don't have any modern facilities to check for criminals (and " check box if o you have been convicted of a crime" is not a valid method,) then they look to be monkey-mouse.

My point is, here's a guy that could easily retire before reaching 50 years of age, as he is a multimillionaire.

Why not ask the same criteria of him, as someone over 50 who's on a retirement visa?

They could even set a slightly higher criteria to meet, for those under 50, if they wanted to ensure the ability of the applicants to self fund here.

They could make it 1,000,000 baht in a bank untouched for 2 months, or 100,000 baht per month income, but at least have a visa class for this demographic, which growing in numbers, year by year.

That said, Thailand loves it's "tourist numbers statisics" and I am counted as four tourists visiting, when really it's just the one, me, coming in four times.

How many thousands of others are there like me, and if they are doing land crossings, they are counted as twelve tourists visiting Thailand. :)

There are hundreds of thousands of people, all over Thailand, doing tourist visa/stamp runs, yet, there are not hundreds of thousands of foreigners working illegally here or committing crime. If so, you would see a foreigner working illegally in every second business here.

Another thread heading into a slanging match .

Here we go again.

Now if i may go back to my OP ,

Has anyone information that nots hearsay or conjecture.

Im sure theres a few guys here that would like some real info.

But hey ... For TV that could be a first :-)

Edit were on page 7 , so normal. Apolagies . Lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It will always be difficult to get accurate information on this issue.

Diffierent Thai Embassies handing out tourist visas, to different individuals, with different travel histories.

Same with the land boarder crossings.

Then, you have the issue of are they going to seriously enforce these back to back stamp and/or visa runners, or it will all go back to business as usual next week, or next month.

We could have someone post that they were refused in Penang, and someone post they were granted in Phnom Penh - what can you make of intell like that?

I'm interested in this topic, as you are, but it will be hard to rely on any information given with any degree of certainty. Just too many variables.

Why turn them, and their money, away? Why make illegal immigrants out of them?

There are many self funded under 50's living here.

What about the contract workers? The guys that work for 6 months in their home country and live here for the other 6 months? The various FIFO oil/gas and miners who have made their base here? What about the many merchant ship workers.

I have just named a few of the demographic that would easily qualify for an appropriate visa, should one exist.

The same visa laws just can't keep serving Thailand forever. The country needs to move with the times.

Don't you think it ridiculous that a guy like David Beckham couldn't even live here, if he was not playing/coaching football, simply because he is under 50 years of age?

In what decade do you think Thailand should review their visa laws? smile.png

You're turning things around.

The Thai authorities are not making illegal immigrants out of them, they are doing that to themselves by living here without meeting the requirements.

Many can't meet the requirements based on one thing, and one thing only, and that is their age. They are not 50.

How do you go about meeting that requirement? biggrin.png

New info on ed visas;

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)

• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

Do you mean Walen School? Whalen=Walen

I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced. It is a very normal situation young backpackers come in on a 30 days airport visa free entry stamp, and decide to extend their holiday later on. They should not be hassled about confirmed hotel bookings, travel plans and so on. Flipping briefly through their passports should make clear immediately they are Germany, France or wherever based, and certainly not residing in Thailand permanently. I am eagerly awaiting field reports from Ranong.

"I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced" - and this is the question, what is a "genuine tourist?"

For me, a genuine tourists is a 2 week holiday maker, or a 6 month South East Asia backpacker.

Everyone else is not a tourists, including myself.

It's quite rare a mature aged western person will "holiday" for 60 days. Most western countries only give 4 weeks of holiday from employment. Sure, it can be accrued and there is long service leave etc, but in general, mature aged people, with responsibilities back home, will not holiday here for 60 days, extend that by another 30 days, and then go and try to do it again.

So, if these people are not working illegally, and are not committing crime, what do we call these people, and why is there no visa class for them?

Actually, I've been doing just that for the last 10 years! UK IT contracts in the summer, relax in Thailand for 3-6 months in the winter. (And I'm 59 now, by the way - old but not mature!) smile.png

I simply don't hold with a company telling me when I can take my holidays thank you very much, so I don't sign long contracts - simples!

Used to get O Multiples but presume I'll now have to get triple entry Tourist visas which is as close as it comes to getting the "right" visa. But you're correct NamKangMan: there really isn't a Visa class into which I fit, but then I suppose I am one of those "rare" people to whom you refer. biggrin.png Would be nice if there was but I still see myself as a Tourist and if I wanted to stay longer, an O followed by extension for retirement shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

But then I'd have a long contract......whistling.gif

Your specific employment conditions put you in the minority, not the majority, of tourists. I would classify you as semi retired.

You are over 50 years of age, so no problems for you, you can get a retirement visa and come and go as you please.

If you were under 50 years of age, your "holiday" in Thailand for 3 to 6 months of the year, if there is a crackdown on back to back tourists visas, may become a problem for you, like so many others here, including myself.

Yes NKM I agree - semi-retired fits my situation nicely. And my lifestyle as it happensthumbsup.gif

However, just a point here for those under 50, single.... surely, even under the new rules, a double-entry Tourist Visa would give (2 months + 1 extension = 3 months) x 2 = 6 months. Then, if one goes away for 6 months (to work in another country) wouldn't the clock start again? After all, a 6-month absence between visas hardly qualifies as back to back......does it?

Or....... how about a Triple-entry TV giving 2 months x 3 = 6 months (thus spending more money on the extra entry and saving money not doing Visa runs.) Once again, a 6-month absence from Thailand follows.

Oh, and if I'm right, then a TRIPLE-entry TV (2 months + 1 extension = 3 months) x 3 = 9 months would presumably work too, only it would give a 9-month "holiday" followed by a 6-month absence?

My logic (oh dear!) is that Thailand would should be satisfied because one would leave Thailand for 6 months to work. In my book, that would make one a genuine Tourist, albeit with a very acceptable "life-work balance" rolleyes.gif

But then that's Farang logic..... what do other people think?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Not cheap, but the Elite Card is also an option.

As mentioned in a recent thread in the Visa forum, there is also the Easy Access Elite card - 500k for a 5-year visa. That sounds quite reasonable.

Simon

• Like 1

Look at the age of the people goi g on visa runs. Many are over 50, why ? No funds to get a retirement visa so are also working without WP.

Why? They might have an income from abroad of say just 40k (65k is the requirement for a retirement visa) and no bank account to speak of. Still no need to work if you live frugally.

smile.png Most farang guys you see drinking beer at tables in front of mom and pop stores are no spring chickens.

This thread is about New Visa Enforcements.

Enforcements is the key word in the title and the thread is for discussion on the new crackdowns on serial border runners. it is not about new visa classes to cater for a few individuals who suddenly find it difficult to continue living in Thailand.

Most reasoned people here are convinced that a large percentage of young border runners are working illegally and some involved in criminality. Perhaps selfishly, I am on the side of those who would like to see them shunted off home so I welcome the crackdown.

No doubt there are a few wealthy under 50s who choose to live in Thailand permanently, and as can be gleaned from several posts above there are avenues for these individuals to stay legally. I would bet my lefty none of these rich people run to Burma every 15 days.

One or two hysterical individuals are trying to hijack the thread and make it into a debate about their perceived need for a new visa class to fit their own purposes. I'm not interested in, and haven't responded to, that debate.

Perhaps they should start a new thread in their efforts to get Thailand Immigration to change their legislation

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

@ VBF

From what I have read, the double entry tourist visa have beome quite hard to get, especially in neighbouring countries.

I suspect they will become even harder to get, if not impossible to get, in the near future.

So, the question yet to be answered is, how many back to back 60 day tourist visas would be acceptable to Thai authorities?

@ VBF

From what I have read, the double entry tourist visa have beome quite hard to get, especially in neighbouring countries.

I suspect they will become even harder to get, if not impossible to get, in the near future.

So, the question yet to be answered is, how many back to back 60 day tourist visas would be acceptable to Thai authorities?

Why don't you go to the visa subforum, this really does not belong here.

Enforcements is the key word in the title and the thread is for discussion on the new crackdowns on serial border runners. it is not about new visa classes to cater for a few individuals who suddenly find it difficult to continue living in Thailand.

Most reasoned people here are convinced that a large percentage of young border runners are working illegally and some involved in criminality. Perhaps selfishly, I am on the side of those who would like to see them shunted off home so I welcome the crackdown.

No doubt there are a few wealthy under 50s who choose to live in Thailand permanently, and as can be gleaned from several posts above there are avenues for these individuals to stay legally. I would bet my lefty none of these rich people run to Burma every 15 days.

One or two hysterical individuals are trying to hijack the thread and make it into a debate about their perceived need for a new visa class to fit their own purposes. I'm not interested in, and haven't responded to, that debate.

Perhaps they should start a new thread in their efforts to get Thailand Immigration to change their legislation

I gather your post is directed towards me.

The enforcement will catch quite a few self funded under 50's, like me. I don't think it's off topic to discuss visa classes when the thread is about visa enforcement. After all, they are enforcing the various visa classes, are they not?

Sure, this visa enforcement will catch a few young ones working illegally here, but what about the many undesirables that are over 50's that are living on next to nothing here?

Like you, selfishly, I would laugh if tomorrow the Thai Governmnet announced a change to the retirement visa law and raised the retirement age to 65 and they must have 2 million baht in the bank or a monthly income of 200,000 baht in order to get rid of the over 50's undesirables.

What the forum light up then. cheesy.gif

Is a Russian girl working in a dive shop such a problem for you OC?

If not, why bother commenting on this thread?

@ VBF

Why don't you go to the visa subforum, this really does not belong here.

I read it in the visa subforum, just thought I would let VBF know.

This thread is about "enforecement." So, VBF, to make it relevent to this thread, the Thai authorities can't enforce what you will not get.

There, back on topic. :)

Look at the age of the people goi g on visa runs. Many are over 50, why ? No funds to get a retirement visa so are also working without WP.

Why? They might have an income from abroad of say just 40k (65k is the requirement for a retirement visa) and no bank account to speak of. Still no need to work if you live frugally.

smile.png Most farang guys you see drinking beer at tables in front of mom and pop stores are no spring chickens.

They are! They just look old after spending the last ten years of their life drinking cheap Chang sat at a stone table. wink.pngwink.png

• Like 1

Not cheap, but the Elite Card is also an option.

As mentioned in a recent thread in the Visa forum, there is also the Easy Access Elite card - 500k for a 5-year visa. That sounds quite reasonable.

Simon

The Thailand Elite and Easy Access Elite sound good if you are "wealthy" and do not qualify for the retirement visa and not willing to go the ED visa route. I am considering this option once my triple entry tourist visa expires.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The enforcement will catch quite a few self funded under 50's, like me. I don't think it's off topic to discuss visa classes when the thread is about visa enforcement. After all, they are enforcing the various visa classes, are they not?

Sure, this visa enforcement will catch a few young ones working illegally here, but what about the many undesirables that are over 50's that are living on next to nothing here?

Like you, selfishly, I would laugh if tomorrow the Thai Governmnet announced a change to the retirement visa law and raised the retirement age to 65 and they must have 2 million baht in the bank or a monthly income of 200,000 baht in order to get rid of the over 50's undesirables.

OK, because I alluded to you in my post, I'll break one of my rules and respond to yours which is designed to incite a response. (how's the electricity supply under the span?)

It's not off topic to discuss existing visa classes which are the ones subject to this enforcement. To continually babble on about a non-existent visa adds nothing. Talk to Thai Immigration - good luck!

The only difference for me with under or over 50s is that some are able to apply for a long term visa if they meet criteria. All people who fall foul of this new enforcement about border running should move on. I'm not interested in championing older people without means staying outside the rules. That's their life decisions and they should expect consequences.

Your silly little comment about changing retirement visa criteria wouldn't affect this selfish character one iota. You seem very interested in my age for some reason, you've asked several times.

I am 66 today, and, if I needed 2m in the bank today to qualify, I wouldn't need to transfer a single baht from my offshore accounts or investments.

The Russian girl. (I looked at her Facebook page- quite cute) I think her biggest mistake, apart from not getting a WP like others in the dive industry and also putting her work details on LinkedIn, was to tell bald face lies to the Immigration Officers at the airport. They're not all completely stupid.

As a former Immigration officer I had people lying to me continually in the hope of gaining an advantage. So, even though long retired, I can't stand her type. And the fact that she helped foster the minivans which have nearly killed me on the roads a couple of times, I say good riddance.

• Like 2

OK, because I alluded to you in my post, I'll break one of my rules and respond to yours which is designed to incite a response. (how's the electricity supply under the span?)

It's not off topic to discuss existing visa classes which are the ones subject to this enforcement. To continually babble on about a non-existent visa adds nothing. Talk to Thai Immigration - good luck!

The only difference for me with under or over 50s is that some are able to apply for a long term visa if they meet criteria. All people who fall foul of this new enforcement about border running should move on. I'm not interested in championing older people without means staying outside the rules. That's their life decisions and they should expect consequences.

Your silly little comment about changing retirement visa criteria wouldn't affect this selfish character one iota. You seem very interested in my age for some reason, you've asked several times.

I am 66 today, and, if I needed 2m in the bank today to qualify, I wouldn't need to transfer a single baht from my offshore accounts or investments.

The Russian girl. (I looked at her Facebook page- quite cute) I think her biggest mistake, apart from not getting a WP like others in the dive industry and also putting her work details on LinkedIn, was to tell bald face lies to the Immigration Officers at the airport. They're not all completely stupid.

As a former Immigration officer I had people lying to me continually in the hope of gaining an advantage. So, even though long retired, I can't stand her type. And the fact that she helped foster the minivans which have nearly killed me on the roads a couple of times, I say good riddance.

I feel privileged that you broke one of your rules for me. smile.png

I don't really care about your age, but Happy Birthday anyway. I hope you have a good day. smile.png

So, you were an immigration officer - no wonder you are taking this thread very personally. smile.png

Whenever there is a thread about visas, visa classes and enforcement - there are always posts about how to get around it. A forum sponsor has even sprung up selling his "school."

So, the Russian girl goes and gets an ED visa - what has it really achieved? A school makes some money out of her, or probably her boss pays for her anyway. She'll still be working because tea money is being paid at the base level. Sure, you get the odd arrest, but tea money rules here.

It's designed to get money out of these people, not get rid of them. They don't want them coming in on free 30 day stamps. They want them to pay to get in and/or stay.

I think I'll still be here, along with all the other visa runners. Just too much money involved, legitimate, and corrupt money, but time will tell.

Edited by NamKangMan

I think dodgy ED visas are also in Immigrations sights.

The Russian couple who were involved in money lending, extortion, etc had these type of visas. They were working illegally, not studying.

They got themselves kidnapped and one of them went home in an ambulance, the other in a box.

• Like 1

Being pedantic, I don't think there is anything 'dodgy' about these ED visas, (unless you are suggesting that the Thai consulate in Penang is taking bribes to issue these visas).

What is 'dodgy' is the abuse of the ED visa system, where many holders of that visa do not adhere to the terms of the visa, (which typically means attending classes on a regular basis etc).

Immigration should test the language abilities of the student every 90 days, (not sure how they will test the Muay Thai or cookery class students....)

There needs to be a way to verify class attendance, but that needs to be independent of the schools themselves.

Being pedantic, I don't think there is anything 'dodgy' about these ED visas, (unless you are suggesting that the Thai consulate in Penang is taking bribes to issue these visas).

What is 'dodgy' is the abuse of the ED visa system, where many holders of that visa do not adhere to the terms of the visa, (which typically means attending classes on a regular basis etc).

Immigration should test the language abilities of the student every 90 days, (not sure how they will test the Muay Thai or cookery class students....)

There needs to be a way to verify class attendance, but that needs to be independent of the schools themselves.

I presume that is what Old Croc means, and what the objections of quite a few people are against the ED visa: the abuse of the system.

I presume that is what Old Croc means, and what the objections of quite a few people are against the ED visa: the abuse of the system.

Yes, thanks, the abuse of them.

Although I could ask if there are any systems in place for the school to report non attenders?

Although I could ask if there are any systems in place for the school to report non attenders?

The last time that I studied in Phuket on an ED visa, my teacher and I both had to sign a timesheet at the end of each lesson and that timesheet, (subsequently stamped by the language school), had to be shown to Phuket Immigration for a 90-day extension.

However, I suspect that many who abuse the ED visa system are doing this in cahoots with the language school, which is quite happy to take their money and for them not to attend lessons.

They are! They just look old after spending the last ten years of their life drinking cheap Chang sat at a stone table. wink.pngwink.png

Its not chang they are drinking, its cheap spirits bottled the same as beer

The last time that I studied in Phuket on an ED visa, my teacher and I both had to sign a timesheet at the end of each lesson and that timesheet, (subsequently stamped by the language school), had to be shown to Phuket Immigration for a 90-day extension.

However, I suspect that many who abuse the ED visa system are doing this in cahoots with the language school, which is quite happy to take their money and for them not to attend lessons.

I met a bloke recently with a ED visa who has never attended a lesson in three years

I met a bloke recently with a ED visa who has never attended a lesson in three years

Not surprising.

The authorities are just creating another revenue stream for tea money.

They'll be collecting from schools in the future, if they are not already. :)

Edited by NamKangMan