The New Visa Enforcements

N47HAN

It would make sense that multiple tourist visas would be on the list too. Equates to the same as multiple voa's i guess.

Maybe walen is one of the few that will benefit from the status quo now.

Interesting month or two ahead to see how this really pans out

From looking though the Visa Forum, the problem for folks applying for 'perpetual' tourists visa is that the Thai embassy/consulate will be asking a lot more questions about why the applicant is always in Thailand. Recently multiple tourist visas are hard to be granted. For now Vientiane seems to be the only place in Asia to be granting a double entry tourist visa.

The ED visa companies here in Phuket are under very close scrutiny, tough row to hoe for them.

Yes it will be interesting. Many think that this is just a short term purge and everything will go back to the relaxed normal. I have no idea.

Actually on various other threads it has been reported that Savanakhet also issues double entry visas, Hanoi is said to be issuing them too (and possibly even triple entries if you have flights in/out to show), Manila possibly double entry, Yangon also, Bali triple entry and Jakarta maybe. I'm just taking this information from the many trip reports on this very forum, so whilst I agree that consulates/embassies may be asking more questions, I have yet to see any evidence that Vientiane remains the only one to do double entries, in fact I am quite sure that these other places mentioned still do them.

Some places definitely won't do anything more than a single entry, despite there still being an option to tick double entry on the application form: Phnom Penh, Penang, KL, Singapore. These cities are some of the most popular for foreigners applying for Thai visas. As for Kunming, single entries are fine, not sure about double entries.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to think about others like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese. Many of those around, and I know quite a few here working without workpermits.

There is a reason this present enforcement is primarily aimed at them.

Quite right Steven, I was more thinking about Europeans/Aussies/North Americans. Good article in the Bangkok Post (can't link on this forum) from the Head off all Immigration. He specifically mentioned that Koreans/Chinese/Russians were being targeted.

Yes, that is the problem in the discussions about this on Thai Visa. This is an English language forum, mainly visited by westerners.So naturally these enforcements are looked on from a western perspective and others affected, much more than westerners, they are even mentioned specifically, are not thought about.

Tired of all the hoopla now. Thai Immigration now has the odious task of refusing entry to a great number of foreigners daily. They must really get huge headaches, with all the bickering and positioning going on. That is all about Karma, I suppose.

As for me....unless I am wrong....I did a bit of reading and came up with a solution that works for myself.

1. I am on my first entry of a double entry Tourist Visa (with 3 previous back to back border crossings).

2. According to what I read on ThaiVisa, I can convert my Tourist Visa to and OA Extended Stay, 14 days prior to Expiration. (Understanding that I must return to Immigration to get the 90 day OA stamp on the day my Tourist Visa Expires)

3. I have proof of Income from the US Consulate, Certificate of Residency and am 58 years old

4. The third step is getting the One Year Retirement Extension.

Question is.....should I do all this 14 days before my first 60 days expires, or risk a border run and get my second entry....and then do it 14 days prior to the expiration of the second entry?

I am worried I might not be allowed in for the second entry. So I suppose I should just go ahead and get the OA now.

• Like 1

Tired of all the hoopla now. Thai Immigration now has the odious task of refusing entry to a great number of foreigners daily. They must really get huge headaches, with all the bickering and positioning going on. That is all about Karma, I suppose.

As for me....unless I am wrong....I did a bit of reading and came up with a solution that works for myself.

1. I am on my first entry of a double entry Tourist Visa (with 3 previous back to back border crossings).

2. According to what I read on ThaiVisa, I can convert my Tourist Visa to and OA Extended Stay, 14 days prior to Expiration. (Understanding that I must return to Immigration to get the 90 day OA stamp on the day my Tourist Visa Expires)

3. I have proof of Income from the US Consulate, Certificate of Residency and am 58 years old

Question is.....should I do all this 14 days before my first 60 days expires, or risk a border run and get my second entry....and then do it 14 days prior to the expiration of the second entry?

I am worried I might not be allowed in for the second entry. So I suppose I should just go ahead and get the OA now.

Yes, with your history, I would do this before the first 60 days expire. And as far as I can tell this plan would work.

• Like 1

Yes, with your history, I would do this before the first 60 days expire. And as far as I can tell this plan would work.

Thanks

You are allowed to do one land border crossing and come straight back in. It is back to back border crossings without a visa that is being cracked down upon.

NKM, I see you are using your very fertile imagination to wind people up with mere speculation.......yet again.

They have started with the land boarder crossings. Wouldn't it stand to reason the next step would be the back to back 60 day visas?

Possibly IF they really are back to back.......what KarenBravo referred to as "your very fertile imagination" is stopping you reading my comments - my alternative is clear - my comments (right at the start) have all been for the benefit of those UNDER 50 who HAVE no choice, and OVER 50s who would like a choice.

Thank you KarenBravo - I hadn't realised NKM was a known "Wind-up merchant" I thought he was a serious poster - silly mefacepalm.gif

I'm under 50 and have been living here, full time, on back to back 60 day tourist visas. I have described my menthod for doing so in another post.

While I'm not 26 years old and Russian, I'm still under 50 and living here on a tourist visas.

The Russian girl could simply do what I, and so many others, have been doing, getting the 60 day tourist visa, but they would still suspect she is working here illegally and probably not issue her a 60 day tourist visa.

Once they have stopped all the free land boarder crossings, and those coming in by air, don't you think they will then have a serious look at those on constant back to back 60 day visas, as all the 30 day land crossing and air visa runners would have moved to 60 day tourist visas.

You have said you are not living here full time on the 60 day tourist visa, but if they stop issuing double and triple entry tourist visa, even for a short period of time, than that means you will have to do a visa run, like thousands of others, and you should have a plan in place if you are refused your second 60 day tourist visa at a nearby Thai Embassy, because it will be "back to back" and allowing you to live here for 6 months.

It's not a "wind up."

I have already organised to pay my rent over the internet, should be locked out of Thailand, to keep my apartment and I will take a little more gear than usual with me on my next visa run. I've also left a spare key with a friend.

Due to the extra ques for the 60 day visas, because the multiple 30 day land and air boarder crossings have stopped for many, I will also allow extra days for processing.

Whilst I may not raise as much suspicion as a 26 year old Russian, I'm still doing the same thing.- living here on tourist visas and I'm under 50. Maybe the younger "tourists" will be treated differently to the older "tourists." Who knows.

I hope you get your double entry visa, but if you don't, what's wrong with having a plan in place in case they do not issue you a second (back to back) 60 day tourist visa.

With the massive extra workload placed on all the nearby Thai Embassies, I would not be surprised if they try to refuse as many as possible.

Edited by NamKangMan

For years I've been coming in with the 30 day visa exempt stamp. Many times, if I have to wait longer than 30 days for a new job, I would fly to Singapore and come back on the same day.

When they changed Ranong to a 30 day stamp from a 15 day stamp, I did the road-trip.

I have been meaning to go the retirement visa route for a few years now. but, was just too lazy.

Last March, I had to do a visa run as I had already stayed 30 days. Decided to go to Penang mainly for the Indian food and thought I'd get a three month Non-Imm visa that I could eventually extend for the reason of retirement.

At the consulate they asked me if I wanted a one year, multiple entry Non-Imm instead of only three months. Of course, I said yes.

So, next year, I'll get the retirement extension and the re-entry permit.

Very lucky and thankful that I did this before all this news came out as the embassies that are close are going to be swamped with visa applicants and inevitably, they will tighten up the requirements.

Hi KB

Why not have a couple of kids??

Then you can get a Non Imm O 1 year multiple entry to visit them and keep your cash hidden from prying eyes

eyes

Cheers

Kids? It would be cheaper to buy the Elite card for 500,000 Bt and get a five year visa.

My cash IS hidden from all. The money required to be shown each year, 800,000 Bt after getting the visa, or extension is used for living costs.

Besides......you already know my feelings regarding kids, as you know they are all banned from my house. Up to the age of 15, anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Follow up.... Not allowed to do the above. I showed up at Udon Immigration to convert my tourist visa to an OA 90 day (to follow up later with the retirement extension)

They said I can only do an OA (retirement) in my own country. (Where the passport was issued...usa)

Well...I have lived in the Philippines for 18 years as a legal resident....But I guess I cannot do it there either...although I will certainly try.

So it is back to the USA after 18 years....just to get the OA (Retirement)

Thanks

Follow up.... Not allowed to do the above. I showed up at Udon Immigration to convert my tourist visa to an OA 90 day (to follow up later with the retirement extension)

They said I can only do an OA (retirement) in my own country. (Where the passport was issued...usa)

Well...I have lived in the Philippines for 18 years as a legal resident....But I guess I cannot do it there either...although I will certainly try.

So it is back to the USA after 18 years....just to get the OA (Retirement)

Different offices, different procedures.

Check the visa information in the general forum, quite some members there who have had success with the procedure as mentioned above.

• Like 1

if ur over 50,

• go to Penang ( cheaper than traveling back to the states)
  • apply for a single non O visa valid for 90 days for reason of retirement
  • put your 800,000 in the bank or arrange having a letter showing your pension, ( get the letter from the US Embassy) an do the combo method with some in the bank an some income
  • apply for the1 year extension

no reason to ever apply for a OA visa

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

For those under 50 I would think the new Elite Lite visa is the answer.

At around usd15.000 it works out to $3,000 per year. You can offset that cost against the all the visa run costs over a twelve month period as you never have to leave the country, and if you take into account the value of your own time then I would think its worth the marginal increase over multiple visa runs . Not to mention you won't have to worry about being barred entry .

For those under 50 I would think the new Elite Lite visa is the answer.

At around usd15.000 it works out to $3,000 per year. You can offset that cost against the all the visa run costs over a twelve month period as you never have to leave the country, and if you take into account the value of your own time then I would think its worth the marginal increase over multiple visa runs . Not to mention you won't have to worry about being barred entry .

My visa runs cost no where near $3000USD a year.

They could cancel the scheme at any time - no refund. They haven't even got a democratically elected Governmnet in power here at the moment.

No thanks.

There are risks in everything. But I think losing your visa is very limited.

The visa is issued by the foreign ministry not thai elite and is for 5 years, once it's in your passport it's there. They could shut the program but I doubt if the foreign ministry would invalidate the visa.

That's just my opinion and as you know opinions are like (deleted), everyone has one.

In any event it's valid option for people under 50. Just like other visa classes terms and conditions do apply, If a person is able and willing to meet those conditions then they can get a long stay visa . It may not conform to everybody's personal risk profile and economic situation but it's there as an option for under 50's who want to reside long tern in Thailand.

There are risks in everything. But I think losing your visa is very limited.

The visa is issued by the foreign ministry not thai elite and is for 5 years, once it's in your passport it's there. They could shut the program but I doubt if the foreign ministry would invalidate the visa.

That's just my opinion and as you know opinions are like (deleted), everyone has one.

In any event it's valid option for people under 50. Just like other visa classes terms and conditions do apply, If a person is able and willing to meet those conditions then they can get a long stay visa . It may not conform to everybody's personal risk profile and economic situation but it's there as an option for under 50's who want to reside long tern in Thailand.

Didn't they cancel the last Thai Elite Card scheme?

Yes there was a debate but nothing ever came of it . The government worked out that it was cheaper to recapitalize the program and restructure it by cutting back on some of the freebee benefits. So that's what they did.

Now this new Elite Lite will provide further funding to make it more sustainable. In addition they are more active marketing paying services to members which provide additional income.

At the time the article happened thai elite contacted all the members ( of which I am one ) and told them that nothing had been decided and that our visas would not be affected but the likelihood would be some kind of restructuring where some benefits may be limited.

I think the new elite lite program is a great alternative for financially independent under 50's. That being said if you're smart enough to become financially independent under 50!then your smart enough to realize there are risks involved with most things so it's up to each individual to decide whether their comfortable with those risks. As with everything in life, don't invest more that your prepared to lose.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes there was a debate but nothing ever came of it . The government worked out that it was cheaper to recapitalize the program and restructure it by cutting back on some of the freebee benefits. So that's what they did.

Now this new Elite Lite will provide further funding to make it more sustainable. In addition they are more active marketing paying services to members which provide additional income.

At the time the article happened thai elite contacted all the members ( of which I am one ) and told them that nothing had been decided and that our visas would not be affected but the likelihood would be some kind of restructuring where some benefits may be limited.

I think the new elite lite program is a great alternative for financially independent under 50's. That being said if you're smart enough to become financially independent under 50!then your smart enough to realize there are risks involved with most things so it's up to each individual to decide whether their comfortable with those risks. As with everything in life, don't invest more that your prepared to lose.

Cheers

So, was the orginal Thai Elite Card scheme (the one mentioned in the link) canceled, or not.

It that news story, and thread, incorrect?

Cheers

So, was the orginal Thai Elite Card scheme (the one mentioned in the link) canceled, or not.

So far i know the program was not cancelled but during a long time they did not accept any new applications and no advertising for the program etc and the benefits where considerable reduced.

Would not surprise me if the same will happen again.

Cheers

So far i know the program was not cancelled but during a long time they did not accept any new applications and no advertising for the program etc and the benefits where considerable reduced.

Would not surprise me if the same will happen again.

"Would not surprise me if the same will happen again." - that's exactly why I would not touch it.

Retired young (long way to 50) and got an ED visa (one year multi) just before the "crackdown". Got hassled on my first entry with it. Wish there was another option for those of is who genuinely just want to enjoy the good life in Thailand, spend money and not work illegally. Unfortunately the system here forces us to say we're students or employees.

Retired young (long way to 50) and got an ED visa (one year multi) just before the "crackdown". Got hassled on my first entry with it. Wish there was another option for those of is who genuinely just want to enjoy the good life in Thailand, spend money and not work illegally. Unfortunately the system here forces us to say we're students or employees.

I'm not a long way to 50, but still under 50.

Yes, I agree, you have to be a student, employee or a "tourist" to live here, if under 50.

I'm a "tourist." biggrin.png

No, you're forcing yourself by making your choice to live here, knowing you don't meet the requirements.

No, you're forcing yourself by making your choice to live here, knowing you don't meet the requirements.

Don't agree. Why shouldn't a person aged 49 have exactly the same opportunity to live here as a 51 year old? They may even have more disposable income than a 65 year old retiree on a pension.

This is a well known gap in immigration procedures that the powers that be have not addressed. Therefore, these people under 50 years old have to take alternative visas to stay legal. It's not their fault. This is a missed opportunity by immigration. They are at fault here.

Don't agree. Why shouldn't a person aged 49 have exactly the same opportunity to live here as a 51 year old? They may even have more disposable income than a 65 year old retiree on a pension.

This is a well known gap in immigration procedures that the powers that be have not addressed. Therefore, these people under 50 years old have to take alternative visas to stay legal. It's not their fault. This is a missed opportunity by immigration. They are at fault here.

I don't think this discussion should be here, but:

yes, Thailand is missing out on an opportunity here. But yes, people living here not meeting the requirements know that they don't meet them, so saying 'they force us' is simply not true. Nobody is forcing them, they are making their own choices, one of them living here knowing they can't meet the requirements.

I don't think this discussion should be here, but:

yes, Thailand is missing out on an opportunity here. But yes, people living here not meeting the requirements know that they don't meet them, so saying 'they force us' is simply not true. Nobody is forcing them, they are making their own choices, one of them living here knowing they can't meet the requirements.

The member is "meeting the requirements" - they are just harsher requirements than those who are over 50 have to meet. I gather those harsher requirements is where the member feels he is being "forced."

Like the member said, he got an Ed Visa. It's a ligitimate visa, but used for a reason that it was not really intended to be used for.

We all have made the choice to live here, and accepted the visa requirements, but probably all agree that Thailand's outdated visa laws should be reviewed, if for no other reason than they are missing an opportunity to cater for this new demographic of expat, not to mention others that would also benefit, such contract workers and FIFO oil and gas workers.

Edited by NamKangMan