What maintenance work do I need for my Honda DreamExess (68.000km)?

kandi

A month ago, a relative of mine who has been living in Thailand for the past 10 years but has now moved back to his home country gave me his scooter, an old Honda DreamExess, 100cc I think.

So far, it has driven 68.000km. Over the years, he did some basic repairs and maintenance work, such as tyre pressure, breaks and oil change. He's never had an accident with that bike.

It runs quite smoothly, despite the age. Only the breaks are a bit weak, which shouldn't be too expensive to fix. But what about the rest? I must admit I don't know much about motorbikes, so I'm not really sure what I have to repair/change over the time. In some threads I read about changing the chain was essential after some time. This could be something I need since I have the feeling that the bike sounds a bit weird when driving, as if the chain was too dry or something.

Long story short: What maintenance work do I need for my Honda DreamExess in order to keep it running safely and smoothly?

I would find a reputable mechanic. Rebuild the carb (eventually the seals will wear out and you don't want to troubleshoot that problem), replace the spark plug and wire, replace the air filtre, check the cam chain and tensioner, lube up all of the control cables (or just replace them) and if really anal, replace all the bearings. Headstock, wheels and swing arm bearings that is.

Should last a good long time more with those simple, inexpensive maintenance items done.

• Like 2

I pretty much agree with "dave_boo", but it might go a bit too far. If the bearings are going bad you would probably hear something.

What I would suggest is to just take the bike in for a complete inspection at a new bike dealer for the purpose of giving you recommendations on what to repair or replace. However, that could open you up to being taken advantage of, but you can always take it to another shop and compare notes.

If you don't know when the oil was changed then just change it and from then on every 4,000 kilo. By all means have the breaks checked out. You don't want bad breaks or just replace them regardless to be sure.

dont touch it apart from oil, carb cleaning and maintenance, and basic things, chain and sprockets. you can get new drum pads for very cheap but get genuine honda ones, they last a lot more.

I have a have also passed 40 k km and my philosophy about it is, if it aint broke, dont touch it! and this workslaugh.png

Actually, if you dont push these machines, they last forever.

• Like 1

I have a 2002 Dream and it's just coming up to 170,000 km. The engine has never been touched. It does not burn oil. It does not smoke. It runs just fine.

It's our staff hack bike. Oil changed every 2000 km. It has been all over Thailand from Chiang Mai in the North to Phuket and Hat Yai in the South.

Unless you have a good reason to pull your engine apart I would leave it as it is.

Service items:

Fuel filter

Spark plug

Valve clearances

Air filter

Chain and sprockets

Brake shoes

Oil change.

Whatever you do to the brakes they will never be much good. It's the biggest weak point on this model.

Fuel consumption will not match the later fuel injected Hondas but it runs fine on gasohol provided it is used regularly and gives around 50 km per litre.

I'd go with the above with the addition of having a good look at the tires and change the wheel bearings for piece of mind. The Honda engine has a roller bearing crank and camshaft. 68,000 is nothing! Just broken in.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

How about, find a GOOD mechanic, let them give the bike a once over and do whatever needs doing on it, if it is running sweet don't touched the engine, if it has had regular oil changes all its life there is no reason the engine needs any rebuild. From your op it sounds like you don't mess with bikes, so let a expert do it. Chains lifespan if well maintained (oiled every 200 - 500 miles depending on dust/weather conditions) are around 10k - 20k miles depending on bike capacity, yes some will say my chain has been on my bike for X years, but chains stretch after a few years/miles. I would expect all sundrie items to be change, oil/filters, check tyres for condition (cracking etc) yes have them overall the carb all this will not break the bank. as for bearings etc these only need doing if a problem, most last an eternity unless your mate was a Stunt rider. get up to scratch and enjoy a nice cheap runabout...

• Like 1

Wow, thanks already for the many answers. Now at least I have a rough overview on what has to be done.

How about, find a GOOD mechanic

That's what I'm about to try, but reading so many posts on here where mechanics don't even do the most basic repairs and even use wrong air pressure for the tyres I'm a bit skeptical if I'll find one. I guess I'll just have to ask around a bit. Or does anyone can suggest a good garage, best somewhere near Pin Klao?

Wow, thanks already for the many answers. Now at least I have a rough overview on what has to be done.

That's what I'm about to try, but reading so many posts on here where mechanics don't even do the most basic repairs and even use wrong air pressure for the tyres I'm a bit skeptical if I'll find one. I guess I'll just have to ask around a bit. Or does anyone can suggest a good garage, best somewhere near Pin Klao?

I live close to pink lao and big honda dealer near the intersection of charan sanitwong and borommoratchanonani road is good. I was going there for service for my old cbr150 and they were competent enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live close to pink lao and big honda dealer near the intersection of charan sanitwong and borommoratchanonani road is good. I was going there for service for my old cbr150 and they were competent enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

The best and most responsible answer. Take it in for an oil change and ask for an inspection. Unless you can find an English speaking mechanicof you can speak and understand Thai, take a friend who can. The chain might just need some oil. " if it's not broken don't fix it ! "

I have a 2002 Dream and it's just coming up to 170,000 km. The engine has never been touched. It does not burn oil. It does not smoke. It runs just fine.

It's our staff hack bike. Oil changed every 2000 km. It has been all over Thailand from Chiang Mai in the North to Phuket and Hat Yai in the South.

Unless you have a good reason to pull your engine apart I would leave it as it is.

Service items:

Fuel filter

Spark plug

Valve clearances

Air filter

Chain and sprockets

Brake shoes

Oil change.

Whatever you do to the brakes they will never be much good. It's the biggest weak point on this model.

Fuel consumption will not match the later fuel injected Hondas but it runs fine on gasohol provided it is used regularly and gives around 50 km per litre.

• Like 1

as for bearings etc these only need doing if a problem, most last an eternity unless your mate was a Stunt rider.

Rear wheel bearing(s) failed on my bike. Ok it is not 100 but....it is also age not necessarily just mileage.