Double eviction threat drove Thai businessman to suicide: family

webfact

WOENG NAKHON KHASEM
Double eviction threat drove man to suicide: family

The Nation

30233656-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A BUSINESSMAN left all his valuables behind, as he headed to a riverside temple on Monday apparently on a suicide journey. He carried only one thing - a plastic business card showing his shop was located in Bangkok's Woeng Nakhon Khasem area.

The shop, now widely known as Yong Seng Musical, has operated in the old-community zone for more than a century. This original shop, however, will have to close down permanently this year as its proprietors are evicted.

"I believe by carrying his business card, my dad wanted to speak up for all Woeng Nakhon Khasem residents," Pollakorn said after his father Chatchawal Asavasopon went missing.

Woeng Nakhon Khasem is one of the oldest retail musical instrument centres in Bangkok. All retailers there are tenants and are required to vacate the zone after its landlord decided to sell the plot to a developer.

TCC Land is known to have purchased the 14-rai (2.25-hectare) plot in Woeng Nakhon Khasem. Pollakorn believed his father might have been under huge stress because imminent evictions would have affected both branches of Yong Seng Musical.

"When we learned that the original shop would have to close, my dad decided to open a new outlet in an area known as Wat Teuk a few years ago. My family spent Bt10 million on the new shop only to find out later that we will be evicted from there by 2017," he said.

According to Pak Klong San Police Station investigator Pol Lt-Colonel Prapas Khiaoprapassorn, surveillance-camera recordings show Chatchawal paying respect to a riverside shrine at about 3pm on Monday before softly submerging himself in the Chao Phraya.

Pollakorn said his father did not tell anyone what he planned to do.

"I began to suspect something wrong must have happened only after finding that my dad had put his personal documents, mobile phone, and ornaments in his locked drawers," he said. The family alerted police. Yesterday, Chatchawal's body was retrieved from the Chao Phraya River near Wat Rakang.

His family does not suspect any foul play in his death.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

Isn't TCC Lands owned/controlled by TCC Assets?

TCC Assets is owned by the wealthiest man in Thailand, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi.

I believe his family wields great power and influence and it is unwise to be on the wrong side of the family's multinational conglomerate.

• Like 1

TCC Assets is owned by the wealthiest man in Thailand, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi.

I believe his family wields great power and influence and it is unwise to be on the wrong side of the family's multinational conglomerate.

I agree with you for once. I even liked your post. I would have liked it even more if you'd had a bit of a go at TCC.

• Like 1

I agree with you for once. I even liked your post. I would have liked it even more if you'd had a bit of a go at TCC.

Why should he have a go at TCC?. Because it's owned by a wealthy man? Are you suggesting that TCC is responsible for the tenant's death because it bought property offered for sale by it's owner? Maybe your unjustified proposed attack should be directed at the person who sold the land even though all the tenants would have been well aware that at some stage, by definition, their tenure of that property would end and possession of the property would revert to the actual owner.

Here's a great business idea - stop all trading, of whatever nature, in case there is someone, somewhere, that doesn't agree with the concept of commerce.

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 2