Visitors To Thaivisa Origin

sriracha john

Just browsing about and came upon what, to me, was surprising results as to the online origin of our members. I would have thought the majority would have been Thailand... or at least, that the UK would have surpassed all foreign origins... both assumptions were wrong :o :

nc1574.png

The numbers for Thailand-origin visitors may be skewed a bit low as any number of members/guests may be using a proxy server for their browsing.

I notice that they do not include a category for those with origins Under the Troll Bridge. Safe to assume that these folks fall under Others? :o

Where did you stumble across that SJ?

the pictured pie chart and bunches of other stats on the forum are available at:

http://www.big-boards.com/board/1574

EDIT

*sheesh.... getting slow in my old age... youngsters like udon are beating me to it*

C'mon now ... it was on the picture ;-)

well yes, that part was... I was just referring to the rest of the addy that led specifically to TV...

I had no idea udon could work so sprightly with the keyboard... :o

The numbers for Thailand-origin visitors may be skewed a bit low as any number of members/guests may be using a proxy server for their browsing.

I notice that they do not include a category for those with origins Under the Troll Bridge. Safe to assume that these folks fall under Others? :o

:D

ROFL.... yes, if there was someway that bigboards could track trolls... their stats would be invaluable..

> The numbers for Thailand-origin visitors may be skewed a bit low as any number of

> members/guests may be using a proxy server for their browsing.

Yeah, but how many would intentionally use a proxy server outside of their own country (company, ISP).. Some, but not a lot.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> The numbers for Thailand-origin visitors may be skewed a bit low as any number of

> members/guests may be using a proxy server for their browsing.

Yeah, but how many would intentionally use a proxy server outside of their own country (company, ISP).. Some, but not a lot.

I would think that anybody trying to access blocked sites from within a particular country would be using a proxy server outside that country.

Edited by ovenman

I'm more than mildly interested as to how they actually gather this data.

Is it a set of stats put out by the board software or some sneeky packet sniffing somewhere along the line.

I can understand the board itself knowing where I am (I have a Thai IP address), but a 3rd party??

> I would think that anybody trying to access blocked sites from

> within a particular country would be using a proxy server outside

> that country.

Sure, but ThaiVisa isn't a blocked site. There are few blocked sites that are the type of sites where people continuously come back to. So whenever I feel like checking out some site that's blocked, I would tunnel or proxy around to have a look, but then go back to a normal direct connection because the proxy/tunnel route slows things down so much. So you only want to be doing that when you actually need to.

> Isn't the percentage for the US exaggerated as many UK (and possibly other

> country's) ISPs route their traffice through the US first?

Doesn't matter where/how it's routed. Your browser sends the http-request, so that's the IP that's used.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Is it a set of stats put out by the board software or some sneeky packet sniffing somewhere along the line.

I can understand the board itself knowing where I am (I have a Thai IP address), but a 3rd party??

To me, this is one of the more interesting parts about the stats... just "how" are they compiled?

Is anyone familar with how these percentages can be tracked by an outside source?

:D:o

There are few blocked sites that are the type of sites where people continuously come back to. So whenever I feel like checking out some site that's blocked, I would tunnel or proxy around to have a look, but then go back to a normal direct connection because the proxy/tunnel route slows things down so much. So you only want to be doing that when you actually need to.

slightly off topic , but how do you obtain a proxy server. i have been trying to access ogrish.com for a while ( they claim to have footage of spontaneous combustion) but its been blocked. would a proxy server get me there , and are there any dangers (e.g virus attack , computer being taken over by aliens ) in using proxy servers.

To me, this is one of the more interesting parts about the stats... just "how" are they compiled?

Is anyone familar with how these percentages can be tracked by an outside source?

We have a tracking code on every page of the forum that updates the stats at big-boards.com. Nothing strange at all.

i believe that these trackers also keeps track of the pages the viewer was looking at before coming , and where they go after , and what if anything was typed into google by the viewer in order to find a web page.

the detail and the amount of information kept is quite staggering.

We have a tracking code on every page of the forum that updates the stats at big-boards.com. Nothing strange at all.

Cheers George, it had to be something like that. Always nice to know how these stats are gathered :D

Cheers George, it had to be something like that. Always nice to know how these stats are gathered :D

Thanks and sorry, George. I didn't mean to imply it was strange... just that I was unaware of it.

And with tax's comment illuminating things further... I am, indeed, staggered.

Way too many Aussies for my likeing,go on sling your hook the lot of ya ,that goes for you moose banging Canadians too.

Bunch of arse the lot of ya. :D:o

Well, my stats would counted as Thai (I think) not Canadian. That must mean the 2.7% Canadian shown in the graph is all CdnVic !

I think the UK contingent is getting nervous. Add the Aussies, Canucks and Malays together and we outnumber the UKs.

Of course, this stats don't tell the whole story of course. Just the origins of the primarily-english speaking visitors to TV. And as mentioned previously, many ISPs are hosted in countries different than you might expect.