helping bus station dog

You two ('posters') have just restored my faith in the human race ! ! !

I know there are many 'dog-appreciators' around, but you guys are actually DOING something about it. This certainly sets you apart from many !

My personal & longtime motto: "The More People I meet; the More I Appreciate My Dogs"

On behalf of those dogs: "Thank you for caring !"

wai.gif

+++++500++ wai.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

I very seldom post, but since these are dogs, I have to hop in.

First I agree - you’re doing a great thing.

Next – My sister from the States has been after me for years to do something to help out the Soi Dogs. My Thai Wife and her family just give me CFHS (Crazy Farang Head Shakes).

We live in a Nakhon Sawan middle class suburb. A few of these dogs have been around for years. Some with collars. Hard to tell which of these are owned and let out most of the day, 50% looked after, or just resourceful and able to get by.

I hate to write this out loud, but am really afraid if I tell folks we want to help soi dogs, with … say … a broken leg, someone will find a healthy dog, break it’s leg, and helpfully bring it on over.

Some days, nothing surprises me here …

Tourist areas seem to have organizations (Samui Dogs, etc). But up here, it’s not the same. Getting the dog in the car without getting us all killed, finding a Vet we can trust, on and on.

We’d simply adopt a few ourselves, but we travel too much these days.

So – If anyone out there knows of good common sense advice or referrals of where to start, what to do (and what NOT to do), I’m listening. Or reading.

Woof.

ken b

I took in an adult soi dog three years ago and I thought she was boring too. Turns out she was just sad/scared. These are dogs that have spent their entire lives on the streets and they don't know anything else. They don't have time to enjoy life or be playful because they're always stressed about surviving.

With time, my dog came out of her shell and is now more playful and lively. I still think of her as "the boring one" when compared to the other two, but I think it's because she's more independent and my other two dogs are more... needy (which I like).

In the end, it doesn't matter. She's such a grateful dog. Sweet, loving and obviously so happy to have a home and somebody who loves her. Please do take the dogs in if you can. You get huge karma points for it, but more than anything, you'll give these dogs a chance to a good life. Nothing beats that.

To everybody else asking for suggestions, please catch the females and spay them. Then return them to the streets if there's no other option. At least you'll prevent more puppies from being born. My local vet here will sell me a sleeping pill I can give the wild dogs (inside a piece of meat). They don't completely fall asleep, but it knocks them out enough that I can pick them up, put them in the car and drive them to the vet to get sterilized. Even sterilizing ONE dog makes a world of difference, so please do that if you can't do anything else.

• Like 1

I very seldom post, but since these are dogs, I have to hop in.

First I agree - youre doing a great thing.

Next My sister from the States has been after me for years to do something to help out the Soi Dogs. My Thai Wife and her family just give me CFHS (Crazy Farang Head Shakes).

We live in a Nakhon Sawan middle class suburb. A few of these dogs have been around for years. Some with collars. Hard to tell which of these are owned and let out most of the day, 50% looked after, or just resourceful and able to get by.

I hate to write this out loud, but am really afraid if I tell folks we want to help soi dogs, with say a broken leg, someone will find a healthy dog, break its leg, and helpfully bring it on over.

Some days, nothing surprises me here

Tourist areas seem to have organizations (Samui Dogs, etc). But up here, its not the same. Getting the dog in the car without getting us all killed, finding a Vet we can trust, on and on.

Wed simply adopt a few ourselves, but we travel too much these days.

So If anyone out there knows of good common sense advice or referrals of where to start, what to do (and what NOT to do), Im listening. Or reading.

Woof.

ken b

There are legitimate dog rescue services advertised with a Google search, some are specific to BKK.

There is a very good one called "Soi Dog" that does some occasional work in BKK providing vet services. They have a good webite with much information.

To the OP, how long do you anticipate living in Thailand? These dogs will be alive for many years and if it is longer than your "stay" then you will have to get rid of them.

I would be interested to hear some of the avid dog owners opinion on turning a domesticated dog back onto the Soi when its no longer convenient to keep it? There become problems with the doge re-establishing territory, etc.. Plus the fact a dog does bond to an owner--are you willing to stick around to find these dogs homes before you leave?

Its a very kind thing you are doing for these dogs. I respect it but taking a dog home is moving to the next level.

Also, is there a chance one of the vendors at the bus station might be considered the owner and expect compensation should you take them or possibly just replace the dogs with another in their absence?

I am interested in opinions. Thanks

They more or less just sit around all day suffering in the heat.

That is pretty much what soi dogs do...as do Thais...they do not know they are suffering as they are acclimated to the climate...

You have a kind heart...turn it toward the street children who are in dire need of a physicians care...vaccinations...and a decent meal from time to time...

Try not to save the world...just a few at the time...good luck...

That is pretty much what soi dogs do...as do Thais...they do not know they are suffering as they are acclimated to the climate...

You have a kind heart...turn it toward the street children who are in dire need of a physicians care...vaccinations...and a decent meal from time to time...

And here we go.

Firstly do you help the kids? how much do you donate? and how many have you taken to see physician or for vaccination or given decent meal?

Secondly, this thread is about helping dogs, if you want to help kids either make a new thread or find one about helping the kids

Lastly, there are plenty of private and government sponsored organizations out there to help the kids, but hardly any to help the animals.

To the OP who questioned whether in taking on a soi dog I realize how long it will live etc. iI have considered this very carefully. I am over 70 but in excellent health. Nonetheless I have a will which leaves an amount for them in trust should anything happen to me. And yes, I have helped children, but my main focus is on helping Thai dogs (and cats) who so often lead terrible lives of starvation, sickness and abuse.

I hate it when people respond to a question by saying "your heart is in the wrong place, go help somebody else." The question wasn't about helping children (maybe the OP does that too) or poor people or whatever. If you feel strongly about street children, YOU help them.

• Like 1

Im the OP who wrote this thread and glad to read there are other kind hearted people out there. Also grateful that thai visa admin added this to one of the daily emails to all members.

The gf and I took the 2 pups to the vet for booster jabs and gave them some worming stuff. We check both pups ears and one had over 10 ticks in an ear. The other had a few.

I had previously given frontline 4 to 5 week ago but looks like I should give it every 2 to 3 weeks. The total bill for vac, frontline and worming was 1400 b. In oz that would bave been $160 probably. very cheap here!

cheers

• Like 2

Im the OP who wrote this thread and glad to read there are other kind hearted people out there. Also grateful that thai visa admin added this to one of the daily emails to all members.

The gf and I took the 2 pups to the vet for booster jabs and gave them some worming stuff. We check both pups ears and one had over 10 ticks in an ear. The other had a few.

I had previously given frontline 4 to 5 week ago but looks like I should give it every 2 to 3 weeks. The total bill for vac, frontline and worming was 1400 b. In oz that would bave been $160 probably. very cheap here!

cheers

Good on you.wai.gif

If pups had ticks, its more than likely they have blood parasite, hence the reason for being very mellow.

You need to get the antibiotic for them and liver and blood support tablets.

The test to check is around 800 baht per pup, but i am certain they have it, so you can skip the test and ask for medicine.

Will just need their weight to make sure the doze is correct.

Frontline ONLY prevents the ticks, it does not cure if parasites already in the blood.

Thank you for your kind heart to help those street dogs. I would do the same if I was in Thailand. I was actively involved in rescuing some abandoned cats and dogs in Bangkok when I visited Thailand two years ago. I had much free time then so I might as well do some good deeds that I am good at.

I am Thai and I am an animal rescuer which I have been since I was young. I have know some Thai animal rescue organizations in Bangkok that I used to ask for help for spay and neuter street cats and helped out sick dogs. If you decided not to adopt any or adopt any of them, please spay and neuter the mother and her youngs when they are 7-8 months old but do not wait until they are in their first heat. It is better off to fix them before they reach their pubity to eliminate any bad behavior which cause by hormone like aggressiveness.

You are welcome to contact me if you need any advice or any contact to Thai organization. Thank you for helping animals in need those can not speak for themselves.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 1

We have always had rescue dogs in the states, we live in a condo now, but we see the poor dogs in the streets all the time. We have only been here a few months, there is so many people, children, and animals to help. We do what we can for everybody, every little bit helps. Just do the best you can to help, you will get your reward. And Thanks to everyone for being Humane.

We have always had rescue dogs in the states, we live in a condo now, but we see the poor dogs in the streets all the time. We have only been here a few months, there is so many people, children, and animals to help. We do what we can for everybody, every little bit helps. Just do the best you can to help, you will get your reward. And Thanks to everyone for being Humane.

I often wonder if/when the aliens come, they might turn out to be or look like cats or dogs.

I treat mine really well, as i am worried they will give me up, especially my persian cat who always looks grumpy laugh.pngtongue.pngbiggrin.png

The pups may b more bonded with eachother so don't interact with you and soi dogs are more indepandent ...not working breeds or 'wanna please' breeds...get blood work done as others have suggest ed..might have to give mom broad spectrum long lasting injection if can grab her...if not than a long stint of AntiBIOTIC...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app