How long do tires last in Thailand?

You must be American. Slow speed and straight roads dramatically improve the mileage from a tyre. In the UK straight roads are a novelty so 30K miles is about average. The front wheel tyres are always first to show wear.

Not sure how long ago you left the UK but there are hundreds of mile of motorways and arterial roads that have few bends let alone corners. Maybe you can identify the source of your 30K miles from? Your last sentence is stating the obvious as the back wheels are mainly there to stop the exhaust dragging on the ground. smile.png

To get both of you out of your dilemma, it are the tires on the wheels that provide the traction that wear the first .

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised the Tyre Plus branch mentioned only sell Michelin.

We buy Maxxis, Yokohama and many other brands through Tyre Plus.

"But as they only sell Michies I doubt I would buy a new set there" they only had Michelin in stock and the only POS material was for Michelin so I assumed that was all they sell. Maybe I am wrong???

• 10 months later...

I posted the Bridgestone piece because of the following, not because the info about dates and side markings, after all, the purpose of the OP is to discuss life span of tyres in Asia and reasons for failure and short lifespan: How old is too old?

This is a subject of much debate within the tyre industry and no tyre expert can tell exactly how long a tyre will last. However, on the results of experience many tyre companies, including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture. Based on their understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing.

Tyre Ageing Mechanism

There are three main mechanisms of tyre ageing. The first involves rubber becoming more brittle. Sulphur is used to link rubber molecules together during vulcanisation with the application of heat and pressure, giving the rubber its useful elastic properties and strength. As the tyre absorbs energy in the form of light, heat or movement the tyre continues to vulcanise. This ongoing vulcanisation causes the rubber to become stiffer and more brittle.

The second mechanism of tyre ageing is oxidation involving oxygen and ozone from the air compromising the strength and elasticity of the rubber and the integrity of the rubber to steel bond. Basically heat and oxygen cause cross linking between polymer chains (causing the rubber to harden) and scission of polymer chains (leading to reduced elasticity).

Thirdly, breakdown of the rubber to steel-belt bond will occur due to water permeating through a tyre and bonding with the brass plate coating on steel belts. This causes the steel to rubber bond to weaken leading to reduced tyre strength and reduced heat resistance. If compressed air used for inflation is not completely dry, tyre strength will be affected over time. Even unused tyres will become more brittle, weaker and less elastic with exposure to water, air, heat and sunlight.

I took my 2012 Toyota Vigo for its 90000km service yesterday, to be told it needs four new tyres. I said WHAT? They said they recommend after TWO years. One of them is the the spare and has done less than 20000km. During servicing Toyota always inflate to 35psi even though the manual and sticker on the door says 29 all round. Rip off merchants.

Michelin tires can last practically forever in the Thai heat and humidity*

Other brands, 3-4 years and they're toast.

* Disclaimer: You will need a highly accurate tire pressure gauge, and will need to fill them up with daily loving kisses to possibly achieve these claims.

Sounds about right.

When I purchased my new car, I got Bridgestones, which seem to be standard on many vehicles here. They lasted me 58100km or 17 months. Well I do a lot of driving, compared to some people, but not necessarily that much more than the average driver here in Thailand, especially those that live on the outskirts of Bangkok and commute into town daily for work.

I noticed there was a large crack in the sidewall of the driver side front tyre one morning a couple of days after returning from a trip to Laos. On that trip, I had driven over a largish rock, which suddenly appeared on the road with my passenger side front tyre, so to see that the crack was on the tyre that didn't make contact with that rock had me baffled. In any case, I drove slowly to the tyre shop (yes I could have changed to the spare, but as I had already decided to buy new tyres I couldn't justify spending 20 mins undoing the old tyre and fitting a new one) and purchased new Michelins. They're excellent - driven around 5000km on them already and expecting many more.