How long do tires last in Thailand?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that 3 year or 30K is about the limit. From experience, tires become very hard, presumably due to heat and sunlight, results in poor braking etc.

???????????What Crap!!! Where do you get your automotive facts from? Depending on the type of tire you buy....they can last anywhere from 50k - 120k. My first set went 70000km!!!! If you bye a cheap tire....it'll usually last 50k. In thailand, bye good quality tires and they will last longer...do your research first.

Agree that 3 year or 30K is about the limit. From experience, tires become very hard, presumably due to heat and sunlight, results in poor braking etc.

???????????What Crap!!! Where do you get your automotive facts from? Depending on the type of tire you buy....they can last anywhere from 50k - 120k. My first set went 70000km!!!! If you bye a cheap tire....it'll usually last 50k. In thailand, bye good quality tires and they will last longer...do your research first.

Not true, even good quality name brand tyres here do not safely last more than 50k or four years in Thailand and that form experience of buying Bridgestones or the equivalent on a CRV and driving 20k a year for many many years.

Boggle the mined how many post are in here for seemingly boring and trivial question about

cars' tiers..... TV members either all tirs expert or bored as hell....coffee1.gif

Wait 'till next week, we're planning a "which is the best and longest lasting light bulb", thread, I'm guessing it'll run to fifteen pages or better, excited are we!

From everything i've read about nitrogen in motorsport it has nothing to do with blowouts. Nitrogen expands and contracts less than air when tempreture changes. When using air a cold tyre needs to o be below optimal pressure for car setup, as tyre comes up to racing temp pressure increases to a better level for car setup. By using nitrogen the pressure is more constant and the car better to drive on cold tyres.

When i used nitrogen in a set of new tyres in Aus they did not need pumping up for a couple years, don't know why they were just standard Bridgestones. I was rather amazed.

Common sence at Last.thumbsup.gif

From everything i've read about nitrogen in motorsport it has nothing to do with blowouts. Nitrogen expands and contracts less than air when tempreture changes. When using air a cold tyre needs to o be below optimal pressure for car setup, as tyre comes up to racing temp pressure increases to a better level for car setup. By using nitrogen the pressure is more constant and the car better to drive on cold tyres.

When i used nitrogen in a set of new tyres in Aus they did not need pumping up for a couple years, don't know why they were just standard Bridgestones. I was rather amazed.

Except, oxygen is required to complete the chemical conversion that enables explosion, replacing oxygen with nitrogen eliminates that possibility.

Except, oxygen is required to complete the chemical conversion that enables explosion, replacing oxygen with nitrogen eliminates that possibility.

Some good informationabout nitrogen here:

http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/ and here

http://tirenitrogen.typepad.com/tirenitrogen/2009/03/bob-jane-t-marts-australia-nitrogen-tire-inflation-reduces-fuel-consumption.html

I also used it in Australia - driving from Canberra to Sydney on a regular basis in summer, at the end of the journey I could put my hands on the tyres and they were warm, but not hot to the touch. Sold the car before got an idea of total milage, but they were wide, low profile, high grip tyres which I wouldn't have exected to last as long as they did, and after the first few months I stopped checking the pressures so often and they just held their pressure with no stress.

So first hand experience that it means cooler tyres hence much reduced risk of blowout, it's all about that risk and really has nothing to do with tyre/rubber degradation..

Nooooooo, tyres have an operating temperature to do their stuff.

Yes, but that operating range is relative to where the tyre was made and sold. Tyres that are made and sold in cooler climates are of a different composition to those made and sold in say tropical climates. So the use of nitrogen in reducing blow out risk is more likely in warmer climates, it's difficult to imagine why Scandinavians or Canadians for example might wish to use it, no?

I believe that the primary purpose of filling tyres with nitrogen is to avoid blowouts as described here:

"In Québec in the last four years, three fatal accidents involving heavy vehicles were directly attributable to the bursting of tires. The degradation of the rubber under the effect of heat is the main cause. In fact, under some conditions when the temperature reaches a sufficiently high threshold, several physical and chemical phenomena occur inside the tire and in the volume normally occupied by the air that fills it. The heating of the air inside the tire helps raise the internal pressure, and the degradation of the rubber by the oxidation produced by the increase in temperature seems to cause a reaction characterized by a release of heat that can lead to the explosion of the gases thus produced inside the tire. There are few apparent indications for detecting the start or scope of the degradation with or without pyrolysis (a phenomenon that requires the presence of oxygen)".

http://www.irsst.qc.ca/en/-project-study-of-the-possible-causes-of-bursting-of-tires-on-heavy-duty-trucks-and-identification-of-potential-solution-scenarios-0099-4830.html

Clearly there is a degrading effect on the inside of the tyre caused by heat and moisture, although since the inside of the tyre avoids sunlight and UV and is exposed to only minimal amounts of moisture, the effect of those things is likely to represent only a small proportion of the damage caused to external surfaces. Yes, oxidation of the rubber inside the tyre is caused by heat build up which is reduced from external surfaces whilst the vehicle is in motion. But wheeled vehicles tend to spend the greater percentage of their time parked hence oxidation of the rubber inside a tyre is more likely to be a very minor factor compared to that experienced on the outer surfaces.

In conclusion, nitrogen fill in tyres were designed to stop performance and racing cars from having blow outs, the benefits in that area are undeniable since dragsters, formula cars and the like are prone to such things by virtue of the torque they generate. But for ordinary passenger vehicles, even slightly powerful ones, even in tropical climates, I doubt there's any advantage whatsoever.

Yes, thank you, blow outs due to overheating which then also causes over pressure due to moisture content and internal tire degradation which eventually leads to external degradation and tire failure, all you had to do is say you agree, it would have been much easier then posting all the info from another source that I already gave you..rolleyes.gif

Apart from the build quality, maintenance and environmental factors the greatest reduction in tyre life is caused by poor driving skills particularly a lack of training in 'reading the road'. Too many drivers are gas/brake footed with an inability to control the speed of the vehicle by varying the throttle input. There is a lack of patience when in a moving traffic string and impatient drivers waste full, brakes and tyres by constantly squirting up a line one car at at a time.

I changed out the original tyres on my 1965 Fortuner 2.7 at 164000 kms when one tyre reached the treadware indicator and had another set of Bridgestone Duellers fitted.

Check pressures regularly with your OWN pressure gauge for consistency and use the vehicle manufacturers pressures shown on the label on the driver's door jamb. Think of the brakes as being only to bring the car to a halt at stops or in emergency and read the road ahead of you adjusting speed via the gas pedal (accelerator) to avoid uneccessary braking. Reduce speed early when approaching traffic lights, turns and full stops and brake gently and you will avoid early tyre wear.

When your vehicle goes for service ask that the tyres are rotated in accordance with the manufacturers recommendation. Front wheel drive cars usually swop both tyres on the front for those on the rear. Don't rely on the agent's mechanics to follow the schedule.

Now, if only my wife would listen to me.........

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

Oddly you got a "like" from T/A? More back tracking once the tide of thought goes against him now suddenly he's with the crowd..But yet he also liked the counter point to your post on the previous page. Seems he's confused and waffling just a bit again.. whistling.gifclap2.gif Although he's been arguing the point I made from the very beginning which you just echoed. The point regarding racing has ironically come up in spite of my attempts to avoid it since most can't grasp the correlation between the 2. But yes in my follow up post on the next page, once I got back to the conversation and before I saw this post, we basically say the same thing..

Ran the factory supplied Michelins on my 08 Toyota Vigo for 100,000km no problem, five years of use. Then changed out the set.

I wouldn't think 50k kms is necessary unless there's signs of tire damage from debris, run over nails or metal is quite common. I've had several good holes from that and always replace the tire.

Never heard of a time limit other than having to change the tires on my Harley after 20 years of age. six years of use and 14 of storage.

Re Harley: and very little riding. I run through a set of tires on my Harley every 12-15k miles, about a year--on previous Harleys, the factory Dunlops lasted only 10k on rear--the new bike's factory Michelins lasted 13k on rear, got about 8k on the new set of Metzlers, still look great and ride well.

Apart from the build quality, maintenance and environmental factors the greatest reduction in tyre life is caused by poor driving skills particularly a lack of training in 'reading the road'. Too many drivers are gas/brake footed with an inability to control the speed of the vehicle by varying the throttle input. There is a lack of patience when in a moving traffic string and impatient drivers waste full, brakes and tyres by constantly squirting up a line one car at at a time.

I changed out the original tyres on my 1965 Fortuner 2.7 at 164000 kms when one tyre reached the treadware indicator and had another set of Bridgestone Duellers fitted.

Check pressures regularly with your OWN pressure gauge for consistency and use the vehicle manufacturers pressures shown on the label on the driver's door jamb. Think of the brakes as being only to bring the car to a halt at stops or in emergency and read the road ahead of you adjusting speed via the gas pedal (accelerator) to avoid uneccessary braking. Reduce speed early when approaching traffic lights, turns and full stops and brake gently and you will avoid early tyre wear.

When your vehicle goes for service ask that the tyres are rotated in accordance with the manufacturers recommendation. Front wheel drive cars usually swop both tyres on the front for those on the rear. Don't rely on the agent's mechanics to follow the schedule.

Now, if only my wife would listen to me.........

My thinking is that the greatest cause of tire wear, as is being displayed here is the ignorance that surrounds their maintenance and that includes checking the pressures and maintaining them properly, using nitrogen instead of regular air and checking the alignment more often then once every 2 to 3 years or when it comes time to replace a set as most do.

I believe that the primary purpose of filling tyres with nitrogen is to avoid blowouts as described here:

"In Québec in the last four years, three fatal accidents involving heavy vehicles were directly attributable to the bursting of tires. The degradation of the rubber under the effect of heat is the main cause. In fact, under some conditions when the temperature reaches a sufficiently high threshold, several physical and chemical phenomena occur inside the tire and in the volume normally occupied by the air that fills it. The heating of the air inside the tire helps raise the internal pressure, and the degradation of the rubber by the oxidation produced by the increase in temperature seems to cause a reaction characterized by a release of heat that can lead to the explosion of the gases thus produced inside the tire. There are few apparent indications for detecting the start or scope of the degradation with or without pyrolysis (a phenomenon that requires the presence of oxygen)".

http://www.irsst.qc.ca/en/-project-study-of-the-possible-causes-of-bursting-of-tires-on-heavy-duty-trucks-and-identification-of-potential-solution-scenarios-0099-4830.html

Clearly there is a degrading effect on the inside of the tyre caused by heat and moisture, although since the inside of the tyre avoids sunlight and UV and is exposed to only minimal amounts of moisture, the effect of those things is likely to represent only a small proportion of the damage caused to external surfaces. Yes, oxidation of the rubber inside the tyre is caused by heat build up which is reduced from external surfaces whilst the vehicle is in motion. But wheeled vehicles tend to spend the greater percentage of their time parked hence oxidation of the rubber inside a tyre is more likely to be a very minor factor compared to that experienced on the outer surfaces.

In conclusion, nitrogen fill in tyres were designed to stop performance and racing cars from having blow outs, the benefits in that area are undeniable since dragsters, formula cars and the like are prone to such things by virtue of the torque they generate. But for ordinary passenger vehicles, even slightly powerful ones, even in tropical climates, I doubt there's any advantage whatsoever.

Yes, thank you, blow outs due to overheating which then also causes over pressure due to moisture content and internal tire degradation which eventually leads to external degradation and tire failure, all you had to do is say you agree, it would have been much easier then posting all the info from another source that I already gave you..rolleyes.gif

Same time of the evening, same rhetoric, go sleep it off.

@ Spoonman

Well, if you light a fire the crap goes into the air, does the crap fly off on it's own, labeled crap, or is it mixed in with air............YES or NO.

When the air eats the tyres does it leave little gnaw marks like a mouse has had a go at them ?

I think you and another will learn something very soon..............Watch this space...........thumbsup.gif

<deleted>? More garbled double speak? rolleyes.gif

You must be American. Slow speed and straight roads dramatically improve the mileage from a tyre. In the UK straight roads are a novelty so 30K miles is about average. The front wheel tyres are always first to show wear.

You know what I thought was REALLY funny, was when top gear had Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz on a few years ago and those 2 "Americans" who don't normally drive right hand drive went over and topped the celebrity board for fastest drivers with several Brits previously the top, then it was Matt Leblanc another American that topped it as the fastest celeb. Kinda blows those stereotypes away doesn't it?

Not true, even good quality name brand tyres here do not safely last more than 50k or four years in Thailand and that form experience of buying Bridgestones or the equivalent on a CRV and driving 20k a year for many many years.

Think that is not quite true chum. If you choose Bridgestone then perhaps, but I have 80K on a pair of Mich in their seventh year......Sidewalls OK, tread near finished, but nooooooo probs.....smile.png

Yet you "liked" his post about this on page 2 when he first posted it? whistling.gifgiggle.gif

Eh?? Now it makes common sense?? facepalm.gif I've been saying this exact thing for years here until I gave up trying to get the point across. Oh! I see, it wasn't the message it must have been the messenger? rolleyes.gif FYI I didn't have to READ about it either..

Edited by WarpSpeed

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif This gets more comical, a tire doesn't "EXPLODE" in that context.. It hemorrhages from a weak point and then it fails, in medical terms it begins with a hernia or bulge in the tire where the cord is infiltrated by air from within the tire and it is loses it's integrity until it explodes outwardly, it is not a literal "explosion", as I said earlier the inside pressure well exceeds the outside pressure thus an explosion.