Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card

I'm happy with my retirement extension of stay. B1,900 per year (If I don't leave the country and have to purchase a re-entry permit) smile.png

I'm happy for you that you are 50+ and feel satisfied with the terms of your retirement visa.

I'm 35 so I can not get the retirement visa yet. But I'm happy that THB 500k is a relatively small amount of money for me so I am too satisfied with the terms of the TE visa.

Hope you are happy for me too. smile.png

I'm happy for ya Stanley !

I don't need one of these to,take pleasure in seeing others benefit from one.

<deleted offensive remarks>

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed inflammatory comments
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it also possible to pay cash?

I not want send have million online

For the sake of argument I will assume that's a serious question and say that I would really doubt that they accept payment in cash.

But if you are seriously considering applying for the TE card then I suggest you e-mail or call them and ask to make sure (the contact details are on the official site: thailandelite.com).

Strangely enough I ended up paying for mine in cash. At my bank they told me the maximum amount I could send would be 100,000 per transfer and I would need to do 5 separate transfers for 500k unless I came back before 2pm when a different type of transfer was available. They didn't appear to be too keen on doing the separate transfers and I never get out of bed before 2pm.

Alternatively I could just withdraw cash and walk into the bank which was next door and deposit it there.

So they gave me 5 'wads' of 1000 Baht notes and I walked next door and made the deposit in cash.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my 5 year visa and a one year stamp in my passport. I got it today at Chaeng Wattana without having to leave the country. I was on a tourist visa extension when the new visa was inserted.

This 500k Baht 'Easy Access' visa appears to be the 'missing option' for people who are under 50 but can financially support themselves on a medium term basis without committing to 20 years on the full Individual Thailand Elite membership.

Excellent, nicely done.

This seems like a good option, but as a lump sum it feels expensive... A lot more expensive than making the visa runs for sure? If you only pay for the fuel to make the trip to the border. Who issues the card? If it's the Thai government, then it's trustworthy. If it's some company, who knows. Maybe at some point they are required to pay more to the government, they refuse, and then all the cards will become invalid? I would only feel good about it if it was issued by some government agency. But I don't think it is? The government already offers the Investor visa...

I now have my 5 year visa and a one year stamp in my passport. I got it today at Chaeng Wattana without having to leave the country. I was on a tourist visa extension when the new visa was inserted.

This 500k Baht 'Easy Access' visa appears to be the 'missing option' for people who are under 50 but can financially support themselves on a medium term basis without committing to 20 years on the full Individual Thailand Elite membership.

Congratulations! So is it official after all?

This seems like a good option, but as a lump sum it feels expensive... A lot more expensive than making the visa runs for sure? If you only pay for the fuel to make the trip to the border. Who issues the card? If it's the Thai government, then it's trustworthy. If it's some company, who knows. Maybe at some point they are required to pay more to the government, they refuse, and then all the cards will become invalid? I would only feel good about it if it was issued by some government agency. But I don't think it is? The government already offers the Investor visa...

It is all legit. It is a government funded and owned company that does it. The visa is issued by immigration.

• Like 1

It is all legit. It is a government funded and owned company that does it. The visa is issued by immigration.

I already read about it. It seems like a good option if you want convenience and have the extra money. Otherwise it might not be the best option.

i am also very intereseting at this visa opportunity.

I have a cople of question for the pepole that already take the advantage of this visa.

Inside the passport when they issue the visa you will have a 1 year extension of stay, or a 3 months one?

thank you in advance.

I am actually on an Ed visa to try to learn a bit of basic thai. Which will be usufull in the future. But i think after this year this visa will actually be the better solution for me.

Just hope they will not delete this opportunity.

i am also very intereseting at this visa opportunity.

I have a cople of question for the pepole that already take the advantage of this visa.

Inside the passport when they issue the visa you will have a 1 year extension of stay, or a 3 months one?

thank you in advance.

I am actually on an Ed visa to try to learn a bit of basic thai. Which will be usufull in the future. But i think after this year this visa will actually be the better solution for me.

Just hope they will not delete this opportunity.

You get a 1 year stamp when you get the visa if you're in Thailand when it's issued and one year each time you enter the country.

When the year runs out you can extend it for another year without any need to leave the country.

The visa is type 'PE' and it's a full multiple entry visa so you can travel as much or little as you want during the 5 years.

I can see this visa becoming more popular now they're offering the 5 year membership.

• Like 1

I can see this visa becoming more popular now they're offering the 5 year membership.

It could hardly become less popular.

According to the newspapers a couple of days ago they have sold only 41 cards since October 1st last year. The full year target (to the end of September) was 1300, which has now been reduced to 317. Doubt they'll make even that.

The marketing budget is 185 million Baht. Even if they make the target, that's half a million Baht to attract each new member.

It's about time that somebody put this wretched scheme out of its misery.

According to the newspapers a couple of days ago they have sold only 41 cards since October 1st last year. The full year target (to the end of September) was 1300, which has now been reduced to 317. Doubt they'll make even that.

The marketing budget is 185 million Baht. Even if they make the target, that's half a million Baht to attract each new member.

Would you expect them to reach the target with all the unrest experienced in Thailand during those months. Every month since october until today have had protests in the streets, the blocking in Bangkok, a coup and a junta, martial law and curfew. And more than 60 countries have warned their citizens to go here.

And you are surprised if less people invest in a 5 year visa/elite card?

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

I am sure that is the numbers for the 2 million baht card not the 500k five year one being discussed here.

An attempt was made to shut it down before but common sense came in to play because of the legal ramifications of shutting it down.and the cost of doing it. There are a large number of people with deep pockets that have the original card that can afford to put up a legal fight for breach of contract.

I think you might find that there are a lot of people that would disagree with your comment that it is a "wretched scheme".

• Like 1

I am sure that is the numbers for the 2 million baht card not the 500k five year one being discussed here.

An attempt was made to shut it down before but common sense came in to play because of the legal ramifications of shutting it down.and the cost of doing it. There are a large number of people with deep pockets that have the original card that can afford to put up a legal fight for breach of contract.

I think you might find that there are a lot of people that would disagree with your comment that it is a "wretched scheme".

The numbers are definitely for all four flavours of the Elite scheme - the article explicitly mentions them.

Yes, some people will disagree that it's a "wretched scheme" - the few who've taken advantage of it, or are hoping to. However, from the point of view of the Thai taxpayer it's been an absolute disaster, and the way things are going, will continue to be. Half a million baht or more to attract each member is a ludicrous waste of money. That's on top of the loss of 1.27 billion Baht to the middle of last year.

As for the few people (not a large number) who have an original card, just give them all their money back plus interest and shut the whole scheme down.

The numbers are definitely for all four flavours of the Elite scheme - the article explicitly mentions them.

Yes, some people will disagree that it's a "wretched scheme" - the few who've taken advantage of it, or are hoping to. However, from the point of view of the Thai taxpayer it's been an absolute disaster, and the way things are going, will continue to be. Half a million baht or more to attract each member is a ludicrous waste of money. That's on top of the loss of 1.27 billion Baht to the middle of last year.

As for the few people (not a large number) who have an original card, just give them all their money back plus interest and shut the whole scheme down.

How is this a disaster for the Thai taxpayers?? This is a great option for those of us under 50. It sounds like you're penniless and plain enviousbah.gif

• Like 2

How is this a disaster for the Thai taxpayers?? This is a great option for those of us under 50. It sounds like you're penniless and plain envious:bah:

It's costing more to attract each new member than each member is paying in, so the scheme's continuing to run at a loss.

And to date it's already cost the taxpayer over a billion Baht - that's well over $30 million.

Certainly doesn't sound like a success to me.

your posts are full of hatred and spiteful agenda of this visa option and you really should have been told this by the forum miderators as you are trying to ignite arguements on a visa thread which is keeping people informed of an extra option that they may or may not want to consider

if you want to discuss tax issues there is a section on finances for you to happily chat away or maybe you can discuss on other threads like retirement visas why people are not required to pay any taxes to gain a visa

if you think something is not a success and someone feels its a success then great but to have you try and ram it down peoples throat is showing you to be quite a disturbed person

this visa option is an extra option out there and that is the point of this thread, right

to discuss if it makes sense to thise who could afford one

• Like 2

How is this a disaster for the Thai taxpayers?? This is a great option for those of us under 50. It sounds like you're penniless and plain envious:bah:

It's costing more to attract each new member than each member is paying in, so the scheme's continuing to run at a loss.

And to date it's already cost the taxpayer over a billion Baht - that's well over $30 million.

Certainly doesn't sound like a success to me.

It is obvious that your agenda here is to complain about everything associated with this visa and card. And show us some links to all those numbers you write about !!!

• Like 1

It is obvious that your agenda here is to complain about everything associated with this visa and card. And show us some links to all those numbers you write about !!!

I can't post a link to the numbers because they come from a newspaper we're not allowed to link to here. However, if you search for "Thailand Elite Card relaunched" and "TPC goes hunting for foreign Elite" you'll find the source articles.

And get your slurs right, I haven't complained about "everything associated with this visa and card". I've only complained that it's a scheme which has wasted a lot of taxpayers money and continues to do so. It would have been far cheaper and simpler simply to remove the age limit for getting an extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

I belive you are spot on Joe. This 500k card is also very new. I bet 99% of the people coming to Thailand have never heard about it. And at least 90% of the expats don't know about it.

Edited by bangkoklasse

this option is miles different to the 20 year option as in that one you would have to weigh up what could happen to the programme in the future as you would need 3 more 5 year renewells in saying that the card so far as lasted 12 years

but this option seems to be pretty simple if you pay 500 k thats it untill 2019 job done

• Like 1

this option is miles different to the 20 year option as in that one you would have to weigh up what could happen to the programme in the future as you would need 3 more 5 year renewells in saying that the card so far as lasted 12 years

but this option seems to be pretty simple if you pay 500 k thats it untill 2019 job done

That's right, once the visa is in your passport you don't really need to ever speak to them again. Not for 5 years anyway unless yo uuse the 'meet and greet' services at the airport and free car into Bangkok.

The exception to this being if your passport expires or you renew it while the visa is still valid in which case you would need to get the visa transferred.

Thank you for this information. A few questions. The OP did this while still in home country. I spent a year in BKK in my 20s, went back to states to make my money, and have been thinking hard about returning. I would want to visit again on standard tourist visa to make sure the country still agrees with me in my early 40s. I assume there would be no issue applying for this while in country on standard tourist visa if I decide I still love BKK and want to spend my time there? I assume not, but wanted to double check. The risk of losing a part of $15k would be well worth it to me to avoid those runs. I do want to learn the language, but at my own pace and preferably with private teacher. It is my understanding that the accredited schools have pretty strict attendance requirements, and those that don't are likely to be imminently cracked down on from popular opinion. I also don't feel like attending school regularly in a class of what I assume would be primarily 20somethings. The 500k baht is preferable to anything that is compulsory at this point. Thank you in advance for any clarification on applying once already in country.

Thank you for this information. A few questions. The OP did this while still in home country. I spent a year in BKK in my 20s, went back to states to make my money, and have been thinking hard about returning. I would want to visit again on standard tourist visa to make sure the country still agrees with me in my early 40s. I assume there would be no issue applying for this while in country on standard tourist visa if I decide I still love BKK and want to spend my time there? I assume not, but wanted to double check. The risk of losing a part of $15k would be well worth it to me to avoid those runs. I do want to learn the language, but at my own pace and preferably with private teacher. It is my understanding that the accredited schools have pretty strict attendance requirements, and those that don't are likely to be imminently cracked down on from popular opinion. I also don't feel like attending school regularly in a class of what I assume would be primarily 20somethings. The 500k baht is preferable to anything that is compulsory at this point. Thank you in advance for any clarification on applying once already in country.

Yes you are correct, I applied from outside of Thailand. I have detailed the exact process in one of my posts. I suggest you read through the entire thread.

Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 1