Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card

I have to say, for the price they are asking they really should hire better salesmen. Those pitches above are not put together very well.

Let's see when we have the first actual first hand witness report of the stamps they put in the passport.

Dear OP,

Do update us your experience/s once you have gotten your Elite visa.

Thank you and best regards.

Yes I will make an update here detailing the entire fast track and visa process at the airport in Bangkok after I've arrived (end of June) and also after I've done the first 90-day reporting using Thailand Elite, and the first 1 year extension.

Yeah, well done Stanley. So I now wonder when your membership first starts.....upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport end June or the other day when you paid up. I will be interested to hear everything you have to say. My friend is now up to speed with what you are doing and has a trip planned back to her native home in NZ in July......I'm kind of using you as her test dummy. :P;)

I noticed someone mentioning a 1y permission to stay on a tourist visa. Can't happen, immigration act limits tourist entries to 90 days, see section 34: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf . Extensions of stay are another matter, but a 1y stamp on entry on the basis of being a tourist doesn't fit in the act.

I guess the names "tourist" and "non-immigration" as well as the subcategories of the non-imm visas were cooked up by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to match the immigration act. The word "immigrant" is only mentioned in the name of the act and in the glossary in section 4.

The names could be anything, but if the TE visa is some sort of "Special Entry", the other officials such as Department of Land Transportation most likely won't know if they can handle it as a non-imm or no. The orders given to the officials likely do include the actual words "non-immigrant visa". Might lead to some confusion.

• Like 1

I noticed someone mentioning a 1y permission to stay on a tourist visa. Can't happen, immigration act limits tourist entries to 90 days, see section 34: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf . Extensions of stay are another matter, but a 1y stamp on entry on the basis of being a tourist doesn't fit in the act.

I guess the names "tourist" and "non-immigration" as well as the subcategories of the non-imm visas were cooked up by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to match the immigration act. The word "immigrant" is only mentioned in the name of the act and in the glossary in section 4.

The names could be anything, but if the TE visa is some sort of "Special Entry", the other officials such as Department of Land Transportation most likely won't know if they can handle it as a non-imm or no. The orders given to the officials likely do include the actual words "non-immigrant visa". Might lead to some confusion.

Same issue with using this visa while having a work permit (which requires holding a NON-B or NON-O). Confusing visa class!

i got someone at Thailand Elite to look into this driving licence issue for me as i have considered using the card again in the future when i no longer have a work permit ie instead of switching to a retirement visa. i have a current 5 year licence and dont want to have to switch back to a 1 year one in the future. They were helpful and called up an official at the land transport department to clarify the situation. The response i got was that the elite visa is not acceptable to the land transport dept as one that would qualify the holder for a 5 year licence. The reason given was that this visa is classed as a tourist visa (though a long stay one). So although it is a very attractive option in many ways (esp for the under 50,s) the inability to use it to get a 5 year licence needs to be borne in mind.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 2

i got someone at Thailand Elite to look into this driving licence issue for me as i have considered using the card again in the future when i no longer have a work permit ie instead of switching to a retirement visa. i have current 5 year licence and dont want to have to switch back to a 1 year one in the future. They were helpful and called up an official at the land transport department to clarify the situation. The response i got was that the elite visa is not acceptable to the land transport dept as one that would qualify the holder for a 5 year licence. The reason given was that this visa is classed as a tourist visa (though a long stay one). So although it is very attractive option in many ways (esp for the under 50,s) the inability to use it to get a 5 year licence needs to be borne in mind.

Indeed sad they classified it as a Tourist visa :(

i got someone at Thailand Elite to look into this driving licence issue for me as i have considered using the card again in the future when i no longer have a work permit ie instead of switching to a retirement visa. i have current 5 year licence and dont want to have to switch back to a 1 year one in the future. They were helpful and called up an official at the land transport department to clarify the situation. The response i got was that the elite visa is not acceptable to the land transport dept as one that would qualify the holder for a 5 year licence. The reason given was that this visa is classed as a tourist visa (though a long stay one). So although it is very attractive option in many ways (esp for the under 50,s) the inability to use it to get a 5 year licence needs to be borne in mind.

Indeed sad they classified it as a Tourist visa :(

I just can't get my head around it.

There's non immi o visa that requires 90 day exits, valid for 1 year (15 month if time exits right).

Then this one, technically some sort of tourist visa, with 1 year validity, 90 day reporting and the opportunity to stay in Thailand for 5 years without leaving. The licence issue being secondary.

On a side note, what's the downside of only having a 1 year licence, except the obvious need of annual renewals?

I'm on my 3rd 5 year licence, can't even remember what the difference between them was. I know my first one was 1 year.

A loan programm for this card like leasing every car for poor farangs and the public every month 8000 baht would be nice to see

Then defiantly more customer, and attractive for public!

They'd have to call that one a different name.

Perhaps 'Thai deprived difficult access card'.

Sorry, in poor taste, but I don't think they are that interested in helping the financially challenged, at very least they'd want 240% interest or something. Maybe a business opportunity?

i got someone at Thailand Elite to look into this driving licence issue for me as i have considered using the card again in the future when i no longer have a work permit ie instead of switching to a retirement visa. i have a current 5 year licence and dont want to have to switch back to a 1 year one in the future. They were helpful and called up an official at the land transport department to clarify the situation. The response i got was that the elite visa is not acceptable to the land transport dept as one that would qualify the holder for a 5 year licence. The reason given was that this visa is classed as a tourist visa (though a long stay one). So although it is a very attractive option in many ways (esp for the under 50,s) the inability to use it to get a 5 year licence needs to be borne in mind.

Well done wordchild. Sounds a bit like the left leg and the right leg not agreeing on the direction to go, since I was under the impression that TE can assist with getting a work permit on that visa.

And a tourist visa with a work permit sounds a bit funny to me. I've e-mailed them to ask about it.

Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 1

Yeah, well done Stanley. So I now wonder when your membership first starts.....upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport end June or the other day when you paid up. I will be interested to hear everything you have to say. My friend is now up to speed with what you are doing and has a trip planned back to her native home in NZ in July......I'm kind of using you as her test dummy. tongue.pngwink.png

Actually glad you asked, because in my welcome letter received on the 12th of May it says "Member Since : April 17, 2014" which of course seems quite random since that's weeks before I even contacted them to apply. I've emailed to ask!

Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 1

On a side note, what's the downside of only having a 1 year licence, except the obvious need of annual renewals?

I'm on my 3rd 5 year licence, can't even remember what the difference between them was. I know my first one was 1 year.

You cant get an IDP for a start..

Basically the one year was described to me as being like a provisional, given for the first year of driving, after that you got the 'full' 5 year or lifetime for the old folks who have been here ages.

I dont know if all land transport offices stick to this.. I am pretty confident I was non on a non imm and I think others also.. The issue was to get the resident paper, not the visa class.. Maybe thats changed ??

Yeah, well done Stanley. So I now wonder when your membership first starts.....upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport end June or the other day when you paid up. I will be interested to hear everything you have to say. My friend is now up to speed with what you are doing and has a trip planned back to her native home in NZ in July......I'm kind of using you as her test dummy. tongue.pngwink.png

They've replied now and they had put the wrong date in my Welcome Letter. The membership starts when you receive the welcome letter. Since the process is:

1) Apply and wait for approval.

2) Pay and wait for payment to clear.

3) Receive welcome letter.

4) Make appointment for the first visa. Must be done 7 days in advance (unless you choose to have the visa/card sent to your home country).

That of course means that it is a bad idea to pay for the membership for too long before you actually intend to start using it. IE minimize the time which will pass between step 3) and 4) by not paying too soon.

Maybe by asking them nicely it might be possible to simply say before paying that you don't want your membership to be active until such and such date. It's free to ask!

• Like 2

Here's the information regarding work permit (the last sentence is of course about the driver's license) sent to me by Thailand Elite:

The Elite visa can not apply work permit due to it’s tourist visa but we can expedite you to do work permit.

If you require to do work permit. Firstly you have to got the Non B visa. Normally it gonna be take 30 days but if you are member we can do it for you within 1 day (in case your document is ready). Then apply for work permit, normally take 15 days but we do for you only 1 days (in case your document is ready). But both case you must show up at immigration office. Before you apply non B visa and work permit. You can contact us to ask about the information such document, qualification and so on.
Actually, visa is considered by immigration office not by Transport Department but member can get 1 year diver’s license for each time.
Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 1

Basically the one year was described to me as being like a provisional, given for the first year of driving, after that you got the 'full' 5 year or lifetime for the old folks who have been here ages.

I dont know if all land transport offices stick to this.. I am pretty confident I was non on a non imm and I think others also.. The issue was to get the resident paper, not the visa class.. Maybe thats changed ??

We'll they reakon you learn something new each day. I seem to exceed that around you and a few others. I was unaware of a lifetime DL. My FIL doesn't have one, I will double check and in my storage room I've got my dear old fathers stuff, I don't think he had any lifetime DL. Anyway, nothing would surprise me.

Won't effect my friend who's now considering elite as she doesn't drive.

IDP = International Driving Permitt?

The resident paper? Sorry sometimes I loose the plot, like now. So one doesn't need to run around to immi OR embassy all the time to prove residence?

It certainly seems only half thought out really, I'd expect more for 2.0 mil /20 years & 500k/5 years. Anyway, at least they're kind of consistent.

They've replied now and they had put the wrong date in my Welcome Letter. The membership starts when you receive the welcome letter. Since the process is:

4) Make appointment for the first visa. Must be done 7 days in advance (unless you choose to have the visa/card sent to your home country).

That of course means that it is a bad idea to pay for the membership for too long before you actually intend to start using it. IE minimize the time which will pass between step 3) and 4) by not paying too soon.

Maybe by asking them nicely it might be possible to simply say before paying that you don't want your membership to be active until such and such date. It's free to ask!

Good idea.

Will have to put you on the payroll soon. Thanks.

We'll they reakon you learn something new each day. I seem to exceed that around you and a few others. I was unaware of a lifetime DL. My FIL doesn't have one, I will double check and in my storage room I've got my dear old fathers stuff, I don't think he had any lifetime DL. Anyway, nothing would surprise me.

Won't effect my friend who's now considering elite as she doesn't drive.

IDP = International Driving Permitt?

The resident paper? Sorry sometimes I loose the plot, like now. So one doesn't need to run around to immi OR embassy all the time to prove residence?

It certainly seems only half thought out really, I'd expect more for 2.0 mil /20 years & 500k/5 years. Anyway, at least they're kind of consistent.

The lifetime licenses got phased out before my time.. I think end of the 90s.. I only met one or two real old timers that had them.

Residence paper.. I am really struggling to think back to my first 5 year, but back then I am sure I didnt have a non imm, you just needed a local immigration that gave you that letter of residence on a lower visa class, which Phuket did. Of course this has probably possibly changed. Tho I am fairly sure someone who is only on visa ecxempt stamps recently got a 5 year, so maybe different land transport offices are less strict.

And yes, you still need to keep running around getting them if you dont bother to get a yellow house book.

• Like 1

So it is a visa classified as a tourist one. Next thing that'll be interesting to know is on what basis are they granting 1y extensions to it. The immigration act only allows 90 day stays for the purpose of "Touring". The purpose needed for the extension must be something else.

I guess getting post-payed SIM cards, etc are also out of the question because it's considered a tourist visa.

Edited by DrTuner

I guess getting post-payed SIM cards, etc are also out of the question because it's considered a tourist visa.

I will find out but pre-paid is still the way to go. When girls don't respect "never contact me again", which they hardly ever do, just change your number. Privacy woohoo! smile.png

So it is a visa classified as a tourist one. Next thing that'll be interesting to know is on what basis are they granting 1y extensions to it. The immigration act only allows 90 day stays for the purpose of "Touring". The purpose needed for the extension must be something else.

Quite simple - the Thai Elite card was introduced by you know who for wealthy individuals to come and go from Thailand when they wish without the worry of separate Visa's - not for someone living here - and if immigration notices too many 90 days stamps without leaving they may cause a problem.

Quite simple - the Thai Elite card was introduced by you know who for wealthy individuals to come and go from Thailand when they wish without the worry of separate Visa's - not for someone living here - and if immigration notices too many 90 days stamps without leaving they may cause a problem.

The worry about immigration should be sorted out by the TE agents who run to Changwattana, I suppose. That's a risk factor, how legit is this thing, or is it just a glorified under the table deal.

Once some one actually finds out what is stamped on the 1y extension, it'll then be clear if there is an actual 'Ministerial regulation' that allows for such an extension. I suspect Thaksin did put something like that in place, but finding it is far beyond I'm willing to dig into. Probably buried somewhere in MFA document pile.

You are incorrect fortunately. This is what Thailand Elite had to say:

"Member will get 5 years visa and per each entry they can stay in Thailand 1 year. After 1 year if they want to continue to stay in Thailand they have to go immigrant office to do another 1 year stay extension so in the period of 5 years visa they can stay in Thailand without leaving of country but have to do1 year extension in every year."

I would also like to point out that as a TE member you do not pass through the immigration in the way most people do. You use the special fast track line (ie not the Premium Lanes which you can use when flying business/first class etc. but the one where diplomats, VIPs etc. go) and you are escorted by a representative from Thailand Elite, hence eliminating the chance of issues.

Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 2

The worry about immigration should be sorted out by the TE agents who run to Changwattana, I suppose. That's a risk factor, how legit is this thing, or is it just a glorified under the table deal.

Once some one actually finds out what is stamped on the 1y extension, it'll then be clear if there is an actual 'Ministerial regulation' that allows for such an extension. I suspect Thaksin did put something like that in place, but finding it is far beyond I'm willing to dig into. Probably buried somewhere in MFA document pile.

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the legitimacy of the TE visa program except for the previously discussed short period of time when no visas were done.

I will unfortunately not be able to find out what it says in the 1 year extension until June next year but perhaps wordchild or some other member here who has had Thailand Elite for years already knows?

i don't think the 1 year entry stamp can be anything to do with Thaksin (at least not directly) as it has only recently been introduced along with the revamped card. Holders of the original card (eg myself) only ever got 90 day stamps on entry.

• Like 1

i don't think the 1 year entry stamp can be anything to do with Thaksin (at least not directly) as it has only recently been introduced along with the revamped card. Holders of the original card (eg myself) only ever got 90 day stamps on entry.

Ah yes I forgot you have the original card.

If what I read on a news site (which I won't link here because I don't know if it's allowed) which was posted on the 21st of February this year is true, only 10 (!) of the new TE cards had been sold so far at that time.

For some reason they were still, according to that article, expecting to sell 1300 cards during 2014.

That of course means the likelyhood of anyone holding the new card, except for me, actually being a member on TV is quite limited (those 10 are probably chinese). smile.png

ask them to change your start date, I would think pretty likely they will, I have always found the staff there to be pretty helpful

• Like 1

Ah yes I forgot you have the original card.

If what I read on a news site (which I won't link here because I don't know if it's allowed) which was posted on the 21st of February this year is true, only 10 (!) of the new TE cards had been sold so far at that time.

For some reason they were still, according to that article, expecting to sell 1300 cards during 2014.

That of course means the likelyhood of anyone holding the new card, except for me, actually being a member on TV is quite limited (those 10 are probably chinese). smile.png

Your pioneering is much appreciated biggrin.png

So far I've gathered it's a multi-entry tourist visa with a validity period of five years. Since there aren't many TE'rs around, I think you'll be the first one being able to report what's on the extension stamp.