Any mexican food like burrios around?

expatsupreme

In my defense (why is everyone alway picking on me sad.png ) my first post I started by saying "So I guess you could interpret those posts as a big NO" meaning that that's how I did and the OP is free to as well (as I imagine he's or she's a big boy or girl with a fully functioning mind). With comments like Walmart etc I also interpreted "best option" as meaning best from all the not really Mexican places here but perhaps I misinterpreted the poster's intentions. For sure I missed UG's first post praising Miquels and apologize, as much as I disagree. As for uhhh ohhh I guess I agree with one thing, uh oh! Your response did not meet my criteria but your still entitled to it. With you telling me to go to Tripadvisor I guess I'm not entitled as well, at least here. Glad you enjoyed my bean thesis which is the OP's main complaint and reason to start the thread. Boy what a waste of time bickering here (talking about being off-topic), think I'll go see who I can piss off on Tripadvisor now.

p.s. Op, there is a Mexican guy who has a restaurant in Thailand called Mariagritas. It's in Hua Hin and not vey good either (due to the fact that he knows nothing about food and restaurant cooking) but maybe Uh Oh would enjoy a cold refreshment there drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Edited by junglechef

what is refried beans? Cooked beans fried in lard?

I will start making my own burritos again, but the burrito wrap has so many preservatives I just gave up

I will have to do it myself from scratch

Authentically yes the mashed beans are fried in lard and that is usually how you will find them in Mexico ... though you won't usually find burritos in Mexico. More modern Mexican restaurants in the U.S. and elsewhere often have the refritos cooked in vegetable oil. It is easy to tell by the taste ... lard is very distinctive.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

In my defense (why is everyone alway picking on me sad.png ) my first post I started by saying "So I guess you could interpret those posts as a big NO" meaning that that's how I did and the OP is free to as well (as I imagine he's or she's a big boy or girl with a fully functioning mind). With comments like Walmart etc I also interpreted "best option" as meaning best from all the not really Mexican places here but perhaps I misinterpreted the poster's intentions. For sure I missed UG's first post praising Miquels and apologize, as much as I disagree. As for uhhh ohhh I guess I agree with one thing, uh oh! Your response did not meet my criteria but your still entitled to it. With you telling me to go to Tripadvisor I guess I'm not entitled as well, at least here. Glad you enjoyed my bean thesis which is the OP's main complaint and reason to start the thread. Boy what a waste of time bickering here (talking about being off-topic), think I'll go see who I can piss off on Tripadvisor now.

p.s. Op, there is a Mexican guy who has a restaurant in Thailand called Mariagritas. It's in Hua Hin and not vey good either (due to the fact that he knows nothing about food and restaurant cooking) but maybe Uh Oh would enjoy a cold refreshment there drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Actually, my response was not intended to fit your criteria but the OP's second point....."I wonder if there are any Mexican Restaurants in CM? I mentioned four. But I also feel your pain. I should have never mentioned Margaritas when talking about Mexican food. I'm just glad I didn't bring up Mexican beer, but I digress. Thank you for recommendation in Hua Hin. Maybe we can get together sometime and here's the deal. You bring the beans and I'll buy the beverages! Peace!

• Like 1

what is refried beans? Cooked beans fried in lard?

I will start making my own burritos again, but the burrito wrap has so many preservatives I just gave up

I will have to do it myself from scratch

Authentically yes the mashed beans are fried in lard and that is usually how you will find them in Mexico ... though you won't usually find burritos in Mexico. More modern Mexican restaurants in the U.S. and elsewhere often have the refritos cooked in vegetable oil. It is easy to tell by the taste ... lard is very distinctive.

I have a plan to visit mexico someday, but hearing lard being used in food and I am vegan, that is a big no no. And asking each tamales, if they put lard inside is fruitful. Probably they dont even understand. They must think lard is full of vitamins and stuff......perfect to oil your arteries and strenghten your heart

Edited by expatsupreme

There are plenty of dishes not cooked in lard. Mexican cuisine is one of the most amazing in the world and only in Mexico can you really discover that. OK, being a vegan ... maybe not worth the trip ... how about India?

Edited by Jingthing

There is no "real" Mexican food in Chiang Mai, or in Mexico for that matter if one wanted to wax pedantic. As well ask about "real" French food, or Italian food, or... Mexico is a large, geographically- and climate-diverse country with 100 million people having suffered numerous cultural influences on its cuisine over many centuries. Historically the backbone of Mexican food was corn meal tortillas, beans, chiles and squash with bits of various meats. The poor and indigenous peoples still eat this way. It is surprisingly nutritious .

Well, what you call waxing pedantic in saying there is no "real" Mexican food, I'd call waxing pretentious and pointless. By your standard, there is virtually no real food anywhere anymore .

• Like 1

authentic anything, is probably making best use of what's availible at that time and place.... a change in mangement, or cook or even some small ingrediant can make your favorite place dissappointing... can only say that for me Diablos makes a very decent burrito, similar to ones I have had in California....most of the food I ate in Mexico was not to my liking. Your experience may vary

I made beef and bean burritos last night. I bought the large flour to tortillas at Makro. I make my own refried pinto beans about once every 2 months then freeze them. I fry ground beef and add all the needed spices and then dice onions and then grade some colby cheese. I wrap each completed burrito into a freezer bag and save for later. YUM

You are such a tease! Now I want to raid your freezer.

T

In Mexico you will find machaca burritos... partially dried beef cooked in some magic way.

Now THAT'S the most enticing yet unhelpful recipe I've ever read!

smile.png

T

Machaca is pretty common Mexico-wide. Easily available in the U.S. as well. Mostly served on a plate with rice, beans, and tortillas, rather than IN a burrito wrapping. Burritos are not common in Mexico, mostly a Northern Mexican thing and a much simpler dish than the international version. The Americanized (mostly California style) burrito became a world famous food because of it's popularity in the USA (not a big thing in most of Mexico at all). Considering the American Southwest historical ties to Mexico, these American expansions on Mexican food are plenty authentic!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, on the website fivethirtyeight.com founded by Nate Silver whose statistical skills earned him some fame during the 2012 election, there are several articles about burritos. More than I thought I wanted to know, but I suspect not enough for some here. Anyway, it's worth a look. The first article is here http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-search-of-americas-best-burrito/

Tacos from Northern Mexico....no cheese, cabbage; not lettuce, and the red onions are actually referred to as brown onions. about 94 cents each. Meat is shoulder steak, grilled, then chopped up into small cubes on a butcher block.

The burritos were a mix of beef and potato, about thumb size, with red sauce on the side. About 50 cents each.

post-37570-0-65136200-1402315187_thumb.j

Many modern Thai kitchens have a crock pot next to the rice cooker and all you have to do is stick a big chunk of pork in it with some store bought bbq sauce and put it on auto. Later just pull it apart with two forks and serve with some extra bbq sauce if desired. There's your local decent pulled pork UG and if you don't want to make it yourself sell this secret recipe to your favorite restaurant.