Elected Thai senators to boycott informal meeting

webfact

Ginjag you made a comment that in my opinion was a reference to a previous incarnate otherwise why did you say what you did?

You think that only TVF members are up to speed on Thai politics ?

Your on the defensive which again is indicative of the original nature of your post!!

So what if a person with 1 post opens up with a condemnation of the PDRC/UDD/PTP or whatever they chose, don't you think that's up to them and their right of expression ?

Your always quick to jump on anyone who views the PTP in a glowing light and your not shy in offering your opinions and these are respected by me the same as everyone else who posts whether they have 1 post to their name or 50,000 having a huge post count in a short space of time just means too much time spent on the computer getting wound up and also being bored!! I know that when I'm working in the office I spend way too much time posting in TVF wink.png

Having a high post count in my opinion doesn't earn any extra respect , that's earned when I like a particular post and yesterday you posted a very good one when I asked if your so anti Government run for office smile.png

All I was indicating was that just because someone has aligned themselves with a particular group in 1 or 2 posts it's no big deal smile.png

Stop using the that's a LIE stuff, it's called what people are interpreting or an opinion put your petted lip away just like all the post I've read of yours it is my opinion you're more a yellow shirt than a red, just like you associate me with being a red, I too could throw a teddy and say that's a LIE but why bother ? It's no big deal it's your prerogative to make up your own opinions. doesn't mean diddly squat to me what you think of my stance as it means nothing as I'm not in a position to make the changes needed to push Thailand forward biggrin.png so go and pick up your teddy and enjoy the rest of the afternoon wink.png

Go off and have your holiday working-brownie point collector.

You have tried to make a mountain out of a molehill.

The lie was right I NEVER said that others missing had been banned. BE CAREFULL.

If the red fits you up to you Just because I oppose lousy government does not--again does not make me a yellow.

The sides you refer to are.

(1) I am a critic of this said government who have lost it big time, wrecking Thailand in the act before Suthep appeared. this I think is healthy.

(2) The other side is this element who are in complete denial of government mismanagement. unhealthy. because it means you condone corruption and wrong.

WE are talking about Posters NOT Thai opinion.

Your teddy remarks make your post more OTT. I have been honest here with this reply, if you read into it . I am a genuine BAD government critic, not necessarily a PTP one as they did happen to be in office. But I would be if it were the Dems and they self destructed.

I must have hit a nerve for you to rant like this --backing up a denial group.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame to see this group of senators playing games and politics. Their stated aims seem to the same as the acting Speaker and the informal meetings. Perhaps the difference is that the acting Speaker doesn't Skype with Thaksin? There is also the minor (major!) detail that the PTP and UDD refuse to meet with the Senate.

It would seem that perhaps they are just pouting because one of them didn't win the election for Senate Speaker.

PS. I see elsewhere that the Senate has submitted the Speaker and Deputy Speaker for royal assent (or whatever it's called). It will be interesting to see if the government will sit on that request. Can the caretaker government pass it on when the status of the acting caretaker pm is in question? If they sit on it, isn't it tantamount to saying he is not a legitimate caretaker pm? What a mess!

The constitution needs to be amended the right way and all senators and governors must be elected not having someone pick who going to be your voice about matters of state. Free and fair elections need to be held now and reform of people rights to vote for their choice to represent them not some elite academic who doesn't not represent your feeling.

I think that it would be a very bad idea to have a fully elected senate. Then Thailand might end up as the same disaster as the USA is. Much better to follow the Canadian model of a fully appointed Senate. It's a much more stable and productive system!

Elected governors is a good idea, allow more decentralized representation. Same for the other reform suggestion from the PDRC of having provincial police report to the governors instead of the central government in Bangkok.

You seem to balanced views. You are wrong with supporting the PTP idea for a fully elected senate and you are right to support the PDRC in electing governors. Throw in decentralizing the police force and enforcing election regulations strictly, and Thailand would be making the right first steps in the right direction. (in my opinion of course).

• Like 1

Ginjag

Considering that any people in Thailand are very well aware of the political situation your making assumptions that some new posters are previously banned ones?

Who cares if they are or not ? Not me that's for sure in my opinion there's quite a few posters here need to to be given a " time out" but that's for the moderators to determine.

Opinions are just how people express themselves and most members here are less than whiter than white, they harp on about respecting laws etc but will not think twice about getting on their moped over the limit as breaking the very same laws of the land, or buying counterfeit DVDs and watches etc which actually breaks many federal laws worldwide and support video piracy. People in glass houses really ought to leave the stones on the ground and not be throwing them ;

Some posters here take the situation on Thailand very personally as if it's a life or death situation and again here in Krathok outside Korat everyone is getting on with their daily lives I don't see any Thais getting animated on the streets apart from those in Bangkok.

I return to work tomorrow and no doubt will be returning home in 6 weeks to a changed Thailand or maybe not!!

hats off to you..what a way to spend your last day of hols worrying about ginjag...your concern is noble yet wierd..must be bored or lonely...or both...wai2.gif safe trip ..

• Like 2

Doesn't matter attend or boycott, its now Suthep and his puppets turn to establish dictatorship.

With the beehive of activity in the Senate this week, it's incredulous that people would still be bleating on about Suthep.

Bearing in mind that if, according to suthep, the Senate do not appoint a interim PM by Monday, he is going to declare his "followers" have sovereign power and elect one on behalf of 45 odd million disenfranchised members of the Thai electorate, there might be a good reason to bleat on about suthep, doncha think?

"He disagreed with the attempt of the acting Senate speaker to find ways out for the country without listening to all sides."

the interim acting temporary caretaker PM would love to, but simply is too busy, he had no time to meet the Senate Speaker. The poor chap is as busy as Ms. Yingluck was in avoiding the talks they really would like to have.

Niwattumrong says he has no time for discussing political solution with Senate

BANGKOK: -- Acting Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said Friday that he has no time for meeting the Senate to discuss political solutions.

The Senate invited the government to hold a discussion with the Senate on Saturday.

Niwattumrong said he had to work in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and other northern provinces over the weekend and would have no time for a meeting with the Senate.

-- The Nation 2014-05-16

He's not the Senate speaker, he's the deputy senate speaker holding unofficial meetings of the senate and declaring that what comes out of those meetings are legitimate when half the actual Senate is not present at those meetings.

Why would the acting Caretaker PM give credence to such an obvious non partisan grouping by attending their closed door meetings?

• Like 1

"He disagreed with the attempt of the acting Senate speaker to find ways out for the country without listening to all sides."

the interim acting temporary caretaker PM would love to, but simply is too busy, he had no time to meet the Senate Speaker. The poor chap is as busy as Ms. Yingluck was in avoiding the talks they really would like to have.

BANGKOK: -- Acting Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said Friday that he has no time for meeting the Senate to discuss political solutions.

The Senate invited the government to hold a discussion with the Senate on Saturday.

Niwattumrong said he had to work in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and other northern provinces over the weekend and would have no time for a meeting with the Senate.

-- The Nation 2014-05-16

He's not the Senate speaker, he's the deputy senate speaker holding unofficial meetings of the senate and declaring that what comes out of those meetings are legitimate when half the actual Senate is not present at those meetings.

Why would the acting Caretaker PM give credence to such an obvious non partisan grouping by attending their closed door meetings?

I may have missed that. Please point out where this deputy senate speaker claimed that this informal meeting will give legitimate results?

Doesn't matter attend or boycott, its now Suthep and his puppets turn to establish dictatorship.

With the beehive of activity in the Senate this week, it's incredulous that people would still be bleating on about Suthep.

Bearing in mind that if, according to suthep, the Senate do not appoint a interim PM by Monday, he is going to declare his "followers" have sovereign power and elect one on behalf of 45 odd million disenfranchised members of the Thai electorate, there might be a good reason to bleat on about suthep, doncha think?

You missed the part about Suthep aligning with the Senate today.

Do try to keep up, dear.

-- The Nation 2014-05-16

Well, everyone else has.

The constitution needs to be amended the right way and all senators and governors must be elected not having someone pick who going to be your voice about matters of state. Free and fair elections need to be held now and reform of people rights to vote for their choice to represent them not some elite academic who doesn't not represent your feeling.

How can you have free and fair elections now with the country in such upheaval. That is only possible when all sides start talking .. and from what I can see it's ONLY the Senate that are trying that!

Where is the 'caretaker deputy Pm stand in for the ousted PM' ..

He's in Chiang Mai on vitally urgent business .. Not!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

-- The Nation 2014-05-16

Is the "acting caretaker PM " title official yet?

I thought he was still Caretaker Deputy PM!

Most government policy is in closed door meetings .. No?

Well according to the constitution, it is illegal for any senator to have any sort of political bias towards any political camp.

I think that any group standing up to argue against the senate as a whole, is just as much as standing up and shouting, 'us lot have a political bias' and that could run them the risk of being removed from the senate.

If the senate is meeting to discuss a way out, they should NOT be boycotting it.... They have a right to lay down their vote one way or the other, that is what the senate is for, that is the extent of their power only... If they don't agree.... vote no.. Simple as that. Boycotting is a declaration of political bias. If they prefer this route..... goodbye, you just breached the constitution and need to be replaced by those who came second in the senate election for their province.

That my friends is 'democracy'.... use your senatorial vote, and accept the results ...... or leave.

• Like 2

Is the "acting caretaker PM " title official yet?

I thought he was still Caretaker Deputy PM!

Most government policy is in closed door meetings .. No?

Not in Thailand. Here people are even allowed to skype in into cabinet meeetings.

I think that it would be a very bad idea to have a fully elected senate. Then Thailand might end up as the same disaster as the USA is. Much better to follow the Canadian model of a fully appointed Senate. It's a much more stable and productive system!

Elected governors is a good idea, allow more decentralized representation. Same for the other reform suggestion from the PDRC of having provincial police report to the governors instead of the central government in Bangkok.

You seem to balanced views. You are wrong with supporting the PTP idea for a fully elected senate and you are right to support the PDRC in electing governors. Throw in decentralizing the police force and enforcing election regulations strictly, and Thailand would be making the right first steps in the right direction. (in my opinion of course).

The one thing that escapes me is how can Thailand reform its RTP? It's easy to lay down the objectives, but how to go about it? Should they report to their local governor? Or would that create warlord-type setups?

Thailand needs a functioning law enforcement.

Thanks winston I always worry about people who get so worked up over things beyond their control it just causes undue stress

OH PPlleeaassee I thought you were already gone ! Name winstonC, maybe shares concern about your long dubious post, attacking me for being only a critic of lousy governing.

Sorry your flight was delayedwink.png

The one thing that escapes me is how can Thailand reform its RTP? It's easy to lay down the objectives, but how to go about it? Should they report to their local governor? Or would that create warlord-type setups?

Make it a part of the police contract that upon leaving they CANNOT take a post within a political party. That would sort some. Then strengthen the internal investigation team (if there actually is such a thing)

Finally make fine payments computerized and subject to random checking with the proceeds going back into the Police dept to finance the 1st world items a modern police force requires.

• Like 1

To Sum up their proposal

1. Elections get suspended indefinitely, EC will see to that presumably. Can't have any pesky voters choosing a leader as per the constitution.

2. Acting Senate Speaker, Surachai Liangboonlertchai, (an appointed Senator) will find a way to prevent elected Caretaker Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan from being Caretaker Prime Minister, by discussing options with 12 independent agencies (not actually independent, they are appointees of the Senate).

3. A group of senators (mostly appointees) will ask the Constitutional Court to then remove Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan.

4. Surachai is only acting Senate Speaker until the Caretaker PM sends him name in and His Majesty approves it.

5. So somehow the acting Senate Speaker will take the role of Caretaker PM and submit his own name for approval. (Conflict of interest + magic law + time travel needed)

6. He (as acting PM) then approves a Senate special meeting (conflict of interest) which will then issue a resolution to let the Senate act as the elected House of Representatives (approved by him as Caretaker PM, conflict of interest).

7. That fake House of Representatives will then propose a Constitution Change (flatly illegal 132 limits Senate duties in that role, you'd need a change in the constitution for the Senate standing as the House to propose a change in the constitution).

8. That Change will then be approved by the Senate acting as the House of Representatives, which will then approve it, and then the Senate acting as the Senate (conflict of interest), which will then be approved by the Senate Speaker, acting as the Acting Prime Minister will send it up for approval.

9. Then they'll choose an Government and Prime Minister, by some means not decided yet. The change of point 8, will have to remove the requirement that the PM and Cabinet must be elected and from the House of Representatives and not a Senator. So in otherwords, it will make the Government appointed not elected.

10. They'll pick a PM and Cabinet and that will be sent up for approval.

Section 68. No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution.

Section 69. A person shall have the right to resist peacefully an act committed for the acquisition of the power to rule the country by a means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution.

So at that point, they would control the Senate, appointed the Independent Agencies, be impersonating the House of Representatives, have picked the Cabinet and the Prime Minister. The law will at that point say that the Government is Appointed not Elected, because that was required for step 9. So in effect this is an end to elected governments.

They promise (cross your heart and hope to die) to only hold power for a little bit.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

It wasn't so long ago that western countries were faced with the same problem, yet they were able to resolve it.

The 2007 Constitution states in Part 4, Provisions Applicable to both Houses:

Section 122. Members of the House of Representatives and senators are representatives of the Thai people and free from any mandate, commitment or control, and shall honestly perform the duties for the common interests of the Thai people without conflict of interest.

Section 123. Before taking office, a member of the House of Representatives and a senator shall make a solemn declaration at a sitting of the House of which he is a member in the following words:

“I, (name of the declarer), do solemnly declare that I shall perform my duties in accordance with the honest dictates of my conscience for the common interests of the Thai people. I shall also uphold and observe the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand in every respect.”

Seems some senators not only desire to unashamedly break laws to achieve Suthep's reforms but also to violate the Constitution. But judging from the activities of the interim government formed after the military coup, that shouldn't be a difficult action. Looks like Thailand may be in for a repeat of the 2006 overthrow of the government sans military-led coup.

• Like 1

Tree Dan-paibul, Lamphun senator, and seven other elevated senators, stated at a press conference

Is levitation now part of the Thaksin supporting senators power or were strings used to elevate them?

To Sum up their proposal

• Elections get suspended indefinitely, EC will see to that presumably. Can't have any pesky voters choosing a leader as per the constitution.

• Acting Senate Speaker, Surachai Liangboonlertchai, (an appointed Senator) will find a way to prevent elected Caretaker Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan from being Caretaker Prime Minister, by discussing options with 12 independent agencies (not actually independent, they are appointees of the Senate).

• A group of senators (mostly appointees) will ask the Constitutional Court to then remove Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan.

• Surachai is only acting Senate Speaker until the Caretaker PM sends him name in and His Majesty approves it.

• So somehow the acting Senate Speaker will take the role of Caretaker PM and submit his own name for approval. (Conflict of interest + magic law + time travel needed)

• He (as acting PM) then approves a Senate special meeting (conflict of interest) which will then issue a resolution to let the Senate act as the elected House of Representatives (approved by him as Caretaker PM, conflict of interest).

• That fake House of Representatives will then propose a Constitution Change (flatly illegal 132 limits Senate duties in that role, you'd need a change in the constitution for the Senate standing as the House to propose a change in the constitution).

• That Change will then be approved by the Senate acting as the House of Representatives, which will then approve it, and then the Senate acting as the Senate (conflict of interest), which will then be approved by the Senate Speaker, acting as the Acting Prime Minister will send it up for approval.

• Then they'll choose an Government and Prime Minister, by some means not decided yet. The change of point 8, will have to remove the requirement that the PM and Cabinet must be elected and from the House of Representatives and not a Senator. So in otherwords, it will make the Government appointed not elected.

• They'll pick a PM and Cabinet and that will be sent up for approval.

Section 68. No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution.

Section 69. A person shall have the right to resist peacefully an act committed for the acquisition of the power to rule the country by a means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution.

So at that point, they would control the Senate, appointed the Independent Agencies, be impersonating the House of Representatives, have picked the Cabinet and the Prime Minister. The law will at that point say that the Government is Appointed not Elected, because that was required for step 9. So in effect this is an end to elected governments.

They promise (cross your heart and hope to die) to only hold power for a little bit.

You really have a vivid imagination and possibly to much time on your hands.. maybe take up knitting! Cool season is coming and the loyal UDD support will need to keep warm!

Do you REALLY consider that Thaksin's last two governments were Democratic?

and yes.. I know they were elected .. but were they Democratic?

Section 122. Members of the House of Representatives and senators are representatives of the Thai people and free from any mandate, commitment or control, and shall honestly perform the duties for the common interests of the Thai people without conflict of interest.

Section 123. Before taking office, a member of the House of Representatives and a senator shall make a solemn declaration at a sitting of the House of which he is a member in the following words:

“I, (name of the declarer), do solemnly declare that I shall perform my duties in accordance with the honest dictates of my conscience for the common interests of the Thai people. I shall also uphold and observe the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand in every respect.”

Seems some senators not only desire to unashamedly break laws to achieve Suthep's reforms but also to violate the Constitution. But judging from the activities of the interim government formed after the military coup, that shouldn't be a difficult action. Looks like Thailand may be in for a repeat of the 2006 overthrow of the government sans military-led coup.

Seems all of the previous government are also guilty for being under the control of a absconding convicted criminal!

I, (name of the declarer), do solemnly declare that I shall perform my duties in accordance with the honest dictates of my conscience for the common interests of the Thai people. I shall also uphold and observe the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand in every respect.

You couldn't be more wrong; the Senate did not align with Suthep, Suthep aligned with the Senate. Big difference!

And as the future marches on in the Senate, PTP and UDD are nowhere to be seen.

You couldn't be more wrong; the Senate did not align with Suthep, Suthep aligned with the Senate. Big difference!

Er, that's not the Senate. The Senate comprises 150 Senators and is currently out of session.

Er, that's not the Senate. The Senate comprises 150 Senators and is currently out of session.

What's not the Senate?

Wear blinkers at your own peril.

The times they are a changing.

I'm well aware that certain people are pulling out all the stops to keep the status quo. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I'm well aware that certain people are pulling out all the stops to keep the status quo. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

If reforms are enacted fairly, they should be indeed sweeping.

How could requiring transparency be seen as maintaining the status quo?

• Like 2