Changing from a 6 month Tourist Visa to a Non "O" visa

Gentlemen,

I have a friend who is here on a double entry Tourist Visa from the US, and he would like to get that changed to a Non-Immg "O" Visa so that he can apply for a 1 year extension based upon Retirement... He has lived in Thailand before on a Non Immg "O" but that was several years ago.. Anyway, I have been told that he can switch his Tourist Visa to a Non Immg "O", and with the proper aged Bank Account and paper work that he can apply for a one year extension based upon retirement at any Immigration Office...

Confirmation, Comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Pianoman

For a conversion he should have about 15 days left on his permission to stay.

It can not be done at any immirgation office, but can be done in places as Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Bangkok.

He does not need to have the money seasonend if based on money in the bank, but for the conversion they might require proof that the money in the bank came from abroad. (Ask the bank for proof).

If location or proof of funds from abroad are a problem, he can get a single non-O in a neighbouring country.

A change of visa status can be done at immigration but not at all immigration offices. If it cannot be done at his local office he would have to do it in Bangkok.

In order to qualify he would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or 65k baht income proven by letter from his embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

He could do it at any time but would need 15 days remaining on his entry.

Thank you for the information, especially as it is the same that I had been told before... He is coming up on the end of his first 60 days "Permitted to Stay" stamp, so I plan on taking him to an Immigration Office to purchase a 30 Day extension... Then prior to the end of that time to do a Visa "In & Out" run for his 2nd Entry, which will give him enough time to obtain his Income Letter from the Embassy when they visit Isaan mid July and also to "age" his bank account... Plus will give him enough time in case there are any Hang Up's and he can apply for the change / extension the first part of Aug...

Pianoman

Regarding changing visa status

A couple of years ago I wanted to change from Tourist to Non O (in order to get retirement visa status)
Liivng in Udon, I foolishly accepted the adivce of the three "reception staff" at immigration who told me I could only do this in BKK.

Checked what I needed, downloaded TM 86 - application for change of visa - and filled it in.

Nipped down to BKK on the bus and Chaeng Wattana. There they wanted proof that my 800K Baht had arrived from abroad. Pretty diifficult as it had been in my Thai bank account for about 15 years.
After some discusion it was suggested that for 20K Baht under the table my bank would "produce" some paperwork to comply with the requirement that my cash came from abroad.
I declined this, and after chatting to a another but helpful member of the immigration office, she suggested I return to Udon, as it was only BKK that required proof of my cash having been transfered from abroad.

Went back to Udon, the boss there intially said it was impossible and I'd have to go to Laos to apply for a Non O visa.
After pestering him for a while, he said that that I could change my visa from Tourist to Non O in Udon, but it was difficult and took a long time, having to send my application to the regional headquarters (Korat?).

The boss knew that it would cost me 4K Baht to go to Laos and get a new Non O visa. Being kind-hearted he said that for only 2K Baht under the table I could have my visa changed within two hours.
Went for that option, and true to his (money making) word my visa was changed in two hours.

Thank you for the information, especially as it is the same that I had been told before... He is coming up on the end of his first 60 days "Permitted to Stay" stamp, so I plan on taking him to an Immigration Office to purchase a 30 Day extension... Then prior to the end of that time to do a Visa "In & Out" run for his 2nd Entry, which will give him enough time to obtain his Income Letter from the Embassy when they visit Isaan mid July and also to "age" his bank account... Plus will give him enough time in case there are any Hang Up's and he can apply for the change / extension the first part of Aug...

Pianoman

If he can get an income affidavit from the consular outreach he dose not need the money to be in the bank if has an income of 65k baht. If he is doing a combination of income and money in the bank there is no requirement for the money to be in bank for any amount of time.

There have been no recent reports of any immigration office in Isaan doing a change of visa status.

I suggest instead of doing a border run for an a visa exempt entry he goes to the embassy in Vientiane and gets a single entry non-o visa. They ask for nothing more than you passport to prove your age.