Ten misconceptions about Buddhism

camerata

People may do anything but the common uses of Buddha images, statues, paintings, amulets etc is as a reminder of Buddhist ideas and as a way to help the mind focus on them. Some people use a candle flame to concentrate on. Walking meditation provides another way. Many ignorant of Buddhism think the Buddhists are praying to a statue when the correct mind set is not doing that at all.

Why do buddhists worship images of the buddha when he himself instructed people not to?

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do buddhists worship images of the buddha when he himself instructed people not to?

Do any of the so-called "Buddhists" follow through with any of the instructions given anyway? In Thailand I haven't seen one, especially the monks seem to have a hidden agenda that instructs them to do exactly the opposite of what they teach. Time for reform and time for "believers" to wake up and stop bowing in front of persons who are nothing but a pretender in a colored robe, same goes for worshipping of idols, etc...

After all what I have learned here in my 20+ years in LOS, it appears that some of the biggest crooks take refuge in temples to either hide or try to wash themselves clean of their sins by doing a few years in a temple instead of a prison. Look into their eyes and be amazed of the filth hiding behind them.

So far we had Thai abbots collecting Mercedes limousines, travelling first class by air, owning thousands of Rai of land, abbots with huge bank accounts, gold, jewelry and other luxurious items stacked up to the roof, all paid with "alms", we had abbots and monks raping dogs (no joke!) and children, performing sodomy, sleeping with massage and bar girls, monks betting, gambling, bribing, even killing and robbing people... But still Thai people believe that this exact monk there, standing with his alm bowl in front of them in the morning is one of the good guys, someone to look up to, someone above them... It makes me sick at times, especially when I think about what a truly amazing life philosophy the true Buddhism really is.

Good question by the way! Let's disassemble the myth of Buddhism...

I also have 20+years experience with Thailand and I would have to say after having read the Buddhist bible and then see how Thais practice their faith, my personal observation is that Thais have no real understanding of Buddhism.

The five precepts to be the most basic of Buddhist

1. Don't Kill

2. Don't steal

3. No Alcohol or drugs

4. No Adultery

5. Don't lie or speak ill of others

I have never seen anyone that calls themselves Buddhist in Thailand able to stick to all of these five most basic precepts.

and its a shame because they are such easy precepts to follow and the ideas and philosophy of Buddhism are fantastic.

• Like 1

The Tibetan Buddhist monks who fought the Red Chinese invasion TOOK OFF their robes first before fighting. This was a very painful and significant step because, once off, the robe could not be taken on again. Many died in those battles and many others were tortured to death by Red Chinese but most had de-frocked themselves by then. In more recent times Red China forcibly take off the robes which ruins that person's life because they can not put back on. There is more horror to this story, still going on now.

4. All Buddhists are pacifists

One sometimes hears people say, “A war has never been fought in the name of Buddhism.” Exactly what “in the name of Buddhism” means is debatable. Not debatable is that Buddhists over the centuries have engaged in violent acts, including warfare, and have also condoned such acts.

This whole thread is remarkably interesting, thank you 'camerata' for bringing the material and for your wise comments as well.

Many things come to mind when reading your post and the subsequent replies. Point #4 is particularly challenging, in general but also in the light of recent events (Buddhist monks resorting to violence in Tibet, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, and here in Thailand a robed 'monk' heading a group of super violent men).

Would you agree that the tendency to condone violence in most religions is intricately connected with the notion of Truth with a capital T ?

Once a man thinks he has 'found the Truth', the almost inevitable consequences are :

- an understandable (if not exactly legitimate) urge to convince/convert others so that they too can bask in the ineffable Light

- a tendency from then on to divide the world into two categories, those who share his faith and those who don't

- an assumption that all those 'others' are necessarily 'in the wrong'

These three factors themselves may remain relatively inocuous, but are more likely to cristallize into dogmatic thinking which in turn inevitably leads to violent action, especially when faith merges with secular power.

We have innumerable illustrations of this pattern in the history of humanity (from the Crusades to 9/11 and the subsequent invasion of Iraq). The clerics decide what is 'right' and 'wrong' and the 'soldiers of God' translate it into military action.

In this field the specifity of Buddhism, because of its emphasis on impermanence and illusion, tends to 'nip the disease in the bud'. By teaching that there is no truth with a big T, it adresses the root of the problem. This fact would also explain why many won't call it a 'religion' and prefer the term 'philosophy' or 'ethics' or even 'lifestyle'.

But this, as you so rightly point out, doesn't stop human beings from being who they are and indeed Buddhists in the course of history have repeatedly engaged in violent action. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, they were/are not chanting 'we're doing this in the name of our faith and our God', unlike the Crusaders, the Jihadists ... and Georges W. Bush.

Cat.... you type a Christian-ized take on Buddhists and Buddhism. Under your comments you are asserting guilt and sin, absent from Buddhism. Not all Thailand monks are true to the precepts and not all typists on this venue know anything about what they type. All... I wish you would tell me where is the "Buddhist bible" because there is none. Too, you mistake that people are bowing to THE MAN but really to the ideals he represents. (Westerners are really freaked out about bowing.) There is no worshiping of idols.

There is so much kneejerk misunderstanding in the comments attached to this specific posting.

Do any of the so-called "Buddhists" follow through with any of the instructions given anyway? In Thailand I haven't seen one, especially the monks seem to have a hidden agenda that instructs them to do exactly the opposite of what they teach. Time for reform and time for "believers" to wake up and stop bowing in front of persons who are nothing but a pretender in a colored robe, same goes for worshipping of idols, etc...

After all what I have learned here in my 20+ years in LOS, it appears that some of the biggest crooks take refuge in temples to either hide or try to wash themselves clean of their sins by doing a few years in a temple instead of a prison. Look into their eyes and be amazed of the filth hiding behind them.

So far we had Thai abbots collecting Mercedes limousines, travelling first class by air, owning thousands of Rai of land, abbots with huge bank accounts, gold, jewelry and other luxurious items stacked up to the roof, all paid with "alms", we had abbots and monks raping dogs (no joke!) and children, performing sodomy, sleeping with massage and bar girls, monks betting, gambling, bribing, even killing and robbing people... But still Thai people believe that this exact monk there, standing with his alm bowl in front of them in the morning is one of the good guys, someone to look up to, someone above them... It makes me sick at times, especially when I think about what a truly amazing life philosophy the true Buddhism really is.

I also have 20+years experience with Thailand and I would have to say after having read the Buddhist bible and then see how Thais practice their faith, my personal observation is that Thais have no real understanding of Buddhism.

1. Don't Kill

2. Don't steal

3. No Alcohol or drugs

4. No Adultery

I have never seen anyone that calls themselves Buddhist in Thailand able to stick to all of these five most basic precepts.

and its a shame because they are such easy precepts to follow and the ideas and philosophy of Buddhism are fantastic.

• Like 2

Please name one Buddhist "holy war."

Not only that some Buddhists have their own holy wars, but in America some people seem to think that you can use Buddhist practices to make better soldiers:

I read somewhere that the American army want to use meditation as a means to make the soldiers more able to handle the stresses of warfare.

I fear there may be some unexpected side effects when the soldiers in their foxholes start losing their hate for the enemy and begin to see more clearly what a madness the whole thing is.

"Tricycle" is oriented more toward Tibetan Buddhism and thus Vajrayana and Mahāyāna and less on Hinayana..... and less on Theravada. But I think the magazine wants to be more universal. BTW, there are no "denominations" of Buddhism.

What form of Buddhism is this thread about?

Being Thai we are mainly about Theravada as practiced in Thailand.. but the Tricycle magazine is supposed to be all denominations of Buddhism.

But "gods" and nothing like the Christian God.

6. The Buddha was human and Buddhism has no place for the worship of gods

"Buddhism is famous in the West as an “atheistic religion,” in the sense that, unlike the Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, it does not recognize a single creator deity. However, one should not assume from this that Buddhism has no gods. It has not one, but many."

Cat.... you type a Christian-ized take on Buddhists and Buddhism. Under your comments you are asserting guilt and sin, absent from Buddhism. Not all Thailand monks are true to the precepts and not all typists on this venue know anything about what they type. All... I wish you would tell me where is the "Buddhist bible" because there is none. Too, you mistake that people are bowing to THE MAN but really to the ideals he represents. (Westerners are really freaked out about bowing.) There is no worshiping of idols.

There is so much kneejerk misunderstanding in the comments attached to this specific posting.

1. Don't Kill

2. Don't steal

3. No Alcohol or drugs

4. No Adultery

Think you are mixing up the posters here, I - Catweazle - never mentioned a buddhist bible.

I don't bow in front of any mortal human. I'd rather die standing than having to live on my knees!

Edited by catweazle

We touched upon this earlier C.

The Buddhist gods are not really gods, but devas or super beings in higher relms.

They have powers and long lives but none can live forever.

These gods/devas are conditioned, impermanent and live in samsara like the rest of us.

A true God is a creator who is beyond samsara, permanent and unconditioned.

So you can't really call so called Buddhist gods, gods in the normal sense.

But "gods" and nothing like the Christian God.

6. The Buddha was human and Buddhism has no place for the worship of gods

"Buddhism is famous in the West as an “atheistic religion,” in the sense that, unlike the Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, it does not recognize a single creator deity. However, one should not assume from this that Buddhism has no gods. It has not one, but many."

"Buddhism is a religion by any definition of that indefinable term, unless one defines religion as belief in a creator God." (in original article) Seems that is the bedrock 'must have feature' of defining "religion". From what I have read, Buddha said he was NOT a god, not to worship him, he couldn't bail you out from your karma.... and on question of "Is there God" I think he said "For the work you have to do, it doesn't matter if there is or isn't". Buddhism is too hard for many, they want some rescuer and want all that other stuff that was appended to the basic teachings to make it more palatable. What drew me to Buddhism is lack of mumbo jumbo supernatural unprovable assertions. Keep to basics of what Buddha said and ignore all the ornaments added on later.

This is so different from other "true" religions: 'Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests. But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.' -Buddha

• Like 2

"Buddhism is a religion by any definition of that indefinable term, unless one defines religion as belief in a creator God." (in original article) Seems that is the bedrock 'must have feature' of defining "religion". From what I have read, Buddha said he was NOT a god, not to worship him, he couldn't bail you out from your karma.... and on question of "Is there God" I think he said "For the work you have to do, it doesn't matter if there is or isn't". Buddhism is too hard for many, they want some rescuer and want all that other stuff that was appended to the basic teachings to make it more palatable. What drew me to Buddhism is lack of mumbo jumbo supernatural unprovable assertions. Keep to basics of what Buddha said and ignore all the ornaments added on later.

This is so different from other "true" religions: 'Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests. But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.' -Buddha

I'm not disagreeing with you on what you say and find myself also embrasing the teaching.

However, as unenlightened beings, we still have to accept a little of the "mumbo jumbo" tag until we experience for ourselves.

Those who don't go along with Buddhism might assert that:

• Re birth to many lives.
  • The fruits of Karma (Vipaka) resulting in future suffering not only in this life but future lives.
  • Awakening to some kind of permanent, timeless, unconditioned state of awareness once successful in practice of the eightfold path.
  • A state beyond the mind/body.
  • That we are the culmination of our actions over countless re births.
  • That these lives span between several realms including hell & deva.

are not only mumbo jumbo but fantasy.

I personally am open to them but have no proof that these are not fantasy.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Think you are mixing up the posters here, I - Catweazle - never mentioned a buddhist bible.

I don't bow in front of any mortal human. I'd rather die standing than having to live on my knees!

bowing has nothing to do with losing freedom or living on your knees. you continue to misinterpret an action of respect for a concept as one of subservience to a person

• Like 1

Not only that some Buddhists have their own holy wars, but in America some people seem to think that you can use Buddhist practices to make better soldiers:

I read somewhere that the American army want to use meditation as a means to make the soldiers more able to handle the stresses of warfare.

I fear there may be some unexpected side effects when the soldiers in their foxholes start losing their hate for the enemy and begin to see more clearly what a madness the whole thing is.

I will name you two buddhist "holy wars".

Myanmar.

Sri Lanka.

• Like 1

One sometimes hears people say, “A war has never been fought in the name of Buddhism.” Exactly what “in the name of Buddhism” means is debatable. Not debatable is that Buddhists over the centuries have engaged in violent acts, including warfare, and have also condoned such acts.

Sri Lanka? http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/world/asia/sri-lanka-aluthgama-violence/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Buddhism being about 'Life, the Universe & everything' it isn't really about being a religion started by the Buddha. Since what he really wanted to do is spread The Dhamma, the truth about life and everything. It gets called a religion after him but that really just confuses the issue.

He is really just one of an infinite number of Buddhas... and they all teach exactly the same Dhamma ... because there is only one Ultimate truth... not many.

+1 well said!

Great observation. From battle fatigue to PTSD, the name of the mental stresses of wars have changed but the resulting damage has not. First they decided to move treatment up to the front line, keep soldiers in the fight, and found soldiers actually have better outcomes by addressing the stress while still present. Now they're incorporating meditation but not in foxholes, per se. These are mindfulness exercises while in garrison, FOB support bases, etc. they believe soldiers will stress fatigue less with a global framework of mindfulness in which to have the context of what's been experienced. I agree.

In the 1980s the us military first experimented with this in the Trojan Warrior program, aka Jedi Knights. The unit picked was 10th Special Forces in Ft Devens, MA. Highly skilled meditator instructors were brought in and a rigorous meditation program ensued. However, martial arts, neuro linguistic programming, blood doping, and various deprivation regimes were also practiced to in essence make a superior soldier. Meditation was a core component to make soldiers less attuned to pain and fear. A part of this program, the part at Ft Bragg, NC, became the basis of the movie "The Men Who Stare at Goats." They fully expected a command of "self" through meditation would produce a more able soldier.

Dutchguest ... meditation is not an exclusive of Buddhism. It is practiced in many forms and religions and traditions and in all ages ... but only by following the methods laid down by the Buddha is it able to bring one to Nibbana.

Actually, your first part is correct. However, whether it be the various yoga methods like Gnani, Raja, Kyria and others, or the Toaist NeiDan practices many hold that liberation can result from their meditative practices. Yes, if looked at closely you can clearly see Buddhist influences. But in the Christian mystical tradition, like Raja Royal yoga, often devotees attain "liberation" less by mindfulness than by identifying and subsuming into their focus- god, Jesus, Krishna. Is it really the same thing though? They think so; I do not. I assert that unless the mind is unfettered of appellations, deity, mindless orthodoxy, etc., you cannot close the distance to liberation. On this regard I hold Buddhism does contain the "cleanest," least busy map to get you to the goal.

title_a-5min-introduction.gif

• What is Buddhism?

Buddhism is a religion to about 300 million people around the world. The word comes from 'budhi', 'to awaken'. It has its origins about 2,500 years ago when Siddhartha Gotama, known as the Buddha, was himself awakened (enlightened) at the age of 35.

• Is Buddhism a Religion?

To many, Buddhism goes beyond religion and is more of a philosophy or 'way of life'. It is a philosophy because philosophy 'means love of wisdom' and the Buddhist path can be summed up as:

(1) to lead a moral life,

(2) to be mindful and aware of thoughts and actions, and

(3) to develop wisdom and understanding.

• How Can Buddhism Help Me?

Buddhism explains a purpose to life, it explains apparent injustice and inequality around the world, and it provides a code of practice or way of life that leads to true happiness.

• Why is Buddhism Becoming Popular?

Buddhism is becoming popular in western countries for a number of reasons, The first good reason is Buddhism has answers to many of the problems in modern materialistic societies. It also includes (for those who are interested) a deep understanding of the human mind (and natural therapies) which prominent psychologists around the world are now discovering to be both very advanced and effective.

• Who Was the Buddha?

Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

• Was the Buddha a God?

He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

• Do Buddhists Worship Idols?

Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

• Why are so Many Buddhist Countries Poor?

One of the Buddhist teachings is that wealth does not guarantee happiness and also wealth is impermanent. The people of every country suffer whether rich or poor, but those who understand Buddhist teachings can find true happiness.

• Are There Different Types of Buddhism?

There are many different types of Buddhism, because the emphasis changes from country to country due to customs and culture. What does not vary is the essence of the teaching — the Dhamma or truth.

• Are Other Religions Wrong?

Buddhism is also a belief system which is tolerant of all other beliefs or religions. Buddhism agrees with the moral teachings of other religions but Buddhism goes further by providing a long term purpose within our existence, through wisdom and true understanding. Real Buddhism is very tolerant and not concerned with labels like 'Christian', 'Moslem', 'Hindu' or 'Buddhist'; that is why there have never been any wars fought in the name of Buddhism. That is why Buddhists do not preach and try to convert, only explain if an explanation is sought.

• Is Buddhism Scientific?

Science is knowledge which can be made into a system, which depends upon seeing and testing facts and stating general natural laws. The core of Buddhism fit into this definition, because the Four Noble truths (see below) can be tested and proven by anyone in fact the Buddha himself asked his followers to test the teaching rather than accept his word as true. Buddhism depends more on understanding than faith.

• What did the Buddha Teach?

The Buddha taught many things, but the basic concepts in Buddhism can be summed up by the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path.

• What is the First Noble Truth?

The first truth is that life is suffering i.e., life includes pain, getting old, disease, and ultimately death. We also endure psychological suffering like loneliness frustration, fear, embarrassment, disappointment and anger. This is an irrefutable fact that cannot be denied. It is realistic rather than pessimistic because pessimism is expecting things to be bad. lnstead, Buddhism explains how suffering can be avoided and how we can be truly happy.

• What is the Second Noble Truth?

The second truth is that suffering is caused by craving and aversion. We will suffer if we expect other people to conform to our expectation, if we want others to like us, if we do not get something we want,etc. In other words, getting what you want does not guarantee happiness. Rather than constantly struggling to get what you want, try to modify your wanting. Wanting deprives us of contentment and happiness. A lifetime of wanting and craving and especially the craving to continue to exist, creates a powerful energy which causes the individual to be born. So craving leads to physical suffering because it causes us to be reborn.

• What is the Third Noble Truth?

The third truth is that suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained; that true happiness and contentment are possible. lf we give up useless craving and learn to live each day at a time (not dwelling in the past or the imagined future) then we can become happy and free. We then have more time and energy to help others. This is Nirvana.

• What is the Fourth Noble Truth?

The fourth truth is that the Noble 8-fold Path is the path which leads to the end of suffering.

• What is the Noble 8-Fold Path?

In summary, the Noble 8-fold Path is being moral (through what we say, do and our livelihood), focussing the mind on being fully aware of our thoughts and actions, and developing wisdom by understanding the Four Noble Truths and by developing compassion for others.

• What are the 5 Precepts?

The moral code within Buddhism is the precepts, of which the main five are: not to take the life of anything living, not to take anything not freely given, to abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence, to refrain from untrue speech, and to avoid intoxication, that is, losing mindfulness.

• What is Karma?

Karma is the law that every cause has an effect, i.e., our actions have results. This simple law explains a number of things: inequality in the world, why some are born handicapped and some gifted, why some live only a short life. Karma underlines the importance of all individuals being responsible for their past and present actions. How can we test the karmic effect of our actions? The answer is summed up by looking at (1) the intention behind the action, (2) effects of the action on oneself, and (3) the effects on others.

• What is Wisdom?

Buddhism teaches that wisdom should be developed with compassion. At one extreme, you could be a goodhearted fool and at the other extreme, you could attain knowledge without any emotion. Buddhism uses the middle path to develop both. The highest wisdom is seeing that in reality, all phenomena are incomplete, impermanent and do no constitute a fixed entity. True wisdom is not simply believing what we are told but instead experiencing and understanding truth and reality. Wisdom requires an open, objective, unbigoted mind. The Buddhist path requires courage, patience, flexibility and intelligence.

• What is Compassion?

Compassion includes qualities of sharing, readiness to give comfort, sympathy, concern, caring. In Buddhism, we can really understand others, when we can really understand ourselves, through wisdom.

• How do I Become a Buddhist?

Buddhist teachings can be understood and tested by anyone. Buddhism teaches that the solutions to our problems are within ourselves not outside. The Buddha asked all his followers not to take his word as true, but rather to test the teachings for themselves. ln this way, each person decides for themselves and takes responsibility for their own actions and understanding. This makes Buddhism less of a fixed package of beliefs which is to be accepted in its entirety, and more of a teaching which each person learns and uses in their own way.

Prepared by Brian White 1993, with thanks to Ven S. Dhammika.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

• Like 2

I will name you two buddhist "holy wars".

Myanmar.

Sri Lanka.

Although Buddhist Burma and Thailand fought several wars they were not wars fought about faith but territory. The violence in Myanmar and Sri Lanka between Buddhists and Muslims are incited by feelings of threat to the status quo.

IMHO one who does not do their best to keep the five precepts are only pretend Buddhists. Anyone involved in violence is not really Buddhist at all since they are not following the teachings of the Buddhas. I'm sure there are many good Buddhists in both Countries who shake their heads and have no wish to get involved.

• Like 2

There are thousands. Likely the world's best repository of Buddhist and esoteric lore burned to the ground last year, the Pilgirms Bookland in Kathmandu. Word is they are rebuilding, but in this subject area, that loss was like the burning of the library at Alexandria.

Try "Fundamentals of Tibetan Buddhism" by Rebecca McClen Novick with good bibliography, great dictionary of terms, and condensed packed text. But there are so many (but not a Buddhist bible, no not at all).

Could you guys suggest me any books to go deeper in the budda teachings... It would be very much appreciate
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

From interviewing men who took off their robes to fight the Red Chinese and their sons and daughters, I can say that those men

did not fight as Buddhists,

did not fight to spread Buddhism nor force it on anyone, and

did not seek to kill people of other religions, and to put their Buddhist beliefs into place instead.

Those fighters are typical of all situations where Buddhists were involved over all of history.

These three FACTS negate any situation where one could call Buddhists acting AS BUDDHISTS and engaged in a holy war.

I suggest you (re?)read the article and also the links it gives:

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/killing-name

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/nirvanaless-asian-buddhism-growing-fundamentalist-streak

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/buddhist-nationalism-burma

We can argue about the question how to define “holy war” or war in the name of buddhism, but that will imo be a rather futile exercise.

Actually by calling yourself a buddhist, or any other kind of “-ism”, you have already separated yourself from the rest of humanity, who don't label themselves buddhist (or label themselves under some other religious or nationalistic banner). With this labelling, and the identification with a specific group, the seed of a (holy) war is already there (to stay in the buddhist terminology). Whether it will grow into a full tree, or an actual war, is dependent on many circumstances.

It is always good to make a clear distinction between the enlightened founders of a religion and the often not so enlightened followers. Jezus taught according to the scriptures to offer the other cheek when hit on the one; what some christians have done in his name I don't have to tell you. Compared with christianity and islam I think buddhism is more tolerant towards other people and their believes, but that does not mean that all buddhists are saints and pacifists.

8. The Four Noble Truths are noble

We ordinary persons are foolish because we don’t know the truth. Specifically, we don’t know that existence itself is suffering, that suffering has an origin, that suffering can be brought to an end, and that there is a path to that state of cessation. We may know it intellectually, we might know it well enough to list it correctly on the midterm, but this does not make us noble. Only the person who has direct insight into the four truths is noble. And it is only for such people that the four truths are, in fact, true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Karen_Buddhist_Army

Japanese warriors used meditation to prepare for battle and become better fighters for centuries. During WW2, Zen monks were recruited by the Japanese military to help train troops. Kung &lt;deleted&gt;, having been invented by the forefather of Zen Buddhism, is also closely related to meditation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great observation. From battle fatigue to PTSD, the name of the mental stresses of wars have changed but the resulting damage has not. First they decided to move treatment up to the front line, keep soldiers in the fight, and found soldiers actually have better outcomes by addressing the stress while still present. Now they're incorporating meditation but not in foxholes, per se. These are mindfulness exercises while in garrison, FOB support bases, etc. they believe soldiers will stress fatigue less with a global framework of mindfulness in which to have the context of what's been experienced. I agree.

In the 1980s the us military first experimented with this in the Trojan Warrior program, aka Jedi Knights. The unit picked was 10th Special Forces in Ft Devens, MA. Highly skilled meditator instructors were brought in and a rigorous meditation program ensued. However, martial arts, neuro linguistic programming, blood doping, and various deprivation regimes were also practiced to in essence make a superior soldier. Meditation was a core component to make soldiers less attuned to pain and fear. A part of this program, the part at Ft Bragg, NC, became the basis of the movie "The Men Who Stare at Goats." They fully expected a command of "self" through meditation would produce a more able soldier.

Japanese warriors used meditation to prepare for battle and become better fighters for centuries. During WW2, Zen monks were recruited by the Japanese military to help train troops. Kung <deleted>, having been invented by the forefather of Zen Buddhism, is also closely related to meditation.

As I see it meditation and also religion can be practiced at many levels and also in many different ways.

At the most superficial level we have the outer forms. Social conditioning teaches people that sitting in the lotus posture or practicing religious rites and visiting the wats or churches is the way to go and more or less automatically the promised blessings will descent on the worshippers. Actually IMO a just born baby is already -unconsciously- in a state of meditation and this kind of conditioning can in the beginning only confuse the child. It is like trying to teach a centipede how to walk consciously, what leg to move first etc. When he is going to think about how to walk he will certainly get entangled in his thoughts and movements, which he was perfectly well able to perform without thinking. This state of confusion is the state most humans find themselves during the rest of their lives.

Buddhism teaches that humans -unlike animals- have the possibility to overcome their conditionings and become natural again in a conscious way (or become aware of their inner nature under the many layers of dust). By that time the outer forms will have lost their absolute status and can be seen as vehicles that have done their job and can be left behind.

To come back to meditation as a means to make better soldiers I think it can do that too (this does not have much to do with Buddhism which also demands the right livelihood, so no killing). Being detached from feelings as anger and fear, not identifying with them, you have a more clear overview of the situation, are more in control of yourself and have a better insight in what the enemy thinks or intends to do. I read that in some eastern fighting sports when you lose your coolness and get angry you have lost already and the fight is over. No need anymore to kill or hurt the enemy.

• Like 1