Thai Immigration is determined to prevent abuse of visa exceptions

Hi, im Italian and on saturday i'll leave from Italy to Thailand without visa (just 30 days stamp on arrival), i'llstay one night in bkk, the day after i leave again to china and stay there 15 days.

After that, can I have some problem when i come back from china to thailand?

(ps I have already 3 or 4 "30 days stamps" had in dec2013-march2014)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, im Italian and on saturday i'll leave from Italy to Thailand without visa (just 30 days stamp on arrival), i'llstay one night in bkk, the day after i leave again to china and stay there 15 days.

More than likely.

This directly contradicts reports and posts here.

Actually it confirms them perfectly. No Thai consulate in nearby countries issue more than 2 or 3 tourist Visa, at the most. In most case single entry. If you don't believe it try it yourself.

Which is not what John is saying.
It is. He said:

Plus, they won't issue tourist visas anymore if they see other tourist visas from the past, NO MATTER how long ago. This is my experience, and the experience of places which arrange visas. It's not just hearsay.

O

You can have as many visa as you like, just spend 6 months or so in your own country every now and again..and get double entry from consulate in your country to go back to Thailand.

I do this many times in Australia and never have a problem even to stay in Thailand up to 2 year at a time.

You will have not problem re-entering to Thailand.

What you are doing does not fit into the what immigration is trying to reduce.

• Like 1

I do this many times in Australia and never have a problem even to stay in Thailand up to 2 year at a time.

The key thing to keep in mind is that the "Rules" (if only there were a clear set of rules detailing things like how long you need to spend outside of the country between tourist visas) are changing & what some people have been doing for many years #might# not be acceptable anymore.

The key thing to keep in mind is that the "Rules" (if only there were a clear set of rules detailing things like how long you need to spend outside of the country between tourist visas) are changing & what some people have been doing for many years #might# not be acceptable anymore.

I am going to Vientiane for a few days with a guy who will activate the second entry of a double TR visa upon his return to Thailand. He has been in Thailand for about 18-19 months on a combination of TR visas and 'visa free' entries. Having read a number of threads on TV forum concerning "new rules" regarding TR visas, I am just a little concerned that he may have some issue when we return to Nong Khai. Have there been any reports of TR visas not being honoured by the immigration officers at land borders? I asked this on another thread but did not get any replies, Thanks

Edited by PREM-R

Make sure you have your onward flight booked, and have a paper copy ready to show immigration when you arrive.

Ubonjoe - I was questioned extensively at CM airport on Saturday and I have a similar, genuine tourist profile. The only thing that may have set me apart on Saturday is that my passport is nearly full, so there are dozens of stamps and visas in it, for many different countries, including Thailand of course.

My passport was handed to the senior immigration officer and after further discussion, where I pointed out that the majority of my stays were for only one or two weeks, provable by the stamps, things started to ease. The clincher was when I handed over my onward flights details, showing that I was departing for the UK in 18 days.

It is now imperative that you can show your onward flight if you have a history of visiting Thailand on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I am going to Vientiane for a few days with a guy who will activate the second entry of a double TR visa upon his return to Thailand. He has been in Thailand for about 18-19 months on a combination of TR visas and 'visa free' entries. Having read a number of threads on TV forum concerning "new rules" regarding TR visas, I am just a little concerned that he may have some issue when we return to Nong Khai. Have there been any reports of TR visas not being honoured by the immigration officers at land borders? I asked this on another thread but did not get any replies, Thanks

A friend of mine that has been in Thailand for eight years and has a similar profile re-entered without a problem at that border crossing two weeks ago. That was with a tourist visa just granted at V. To be honest I shared your concern, I did expect my friend to have a problem.

Make sure you have your onward flight booked, and have a paper copy ready to show immigration when you arrive.

Ubonjoe - I was questioned extensively at CM airport on Saturday and I have a similar, genuine tourist profile. The only thing that may have set me apart on Saturday is that my passport is nearly full, so there are dozens of stamps and visas in it, for many different countries, including Thailand of course.

My passport was handed to the senior immigration officer and after further discussion, where I pointed out that the majority of my stays were for only one or two weeks, provable by the stamps, things started to ease. The clincher was when I handed over my onward flights details, showing that I was departing for the UK in 18 days.

It is now imperative that you can show your onward flight if you have a history of visiting Thailand on a regular basis.

This is interesting as the 'crackdown' isn't meant to start until August 12th or 13th and even then it's only meant to be targeted at people on visa exempt entries.

Personally I suspect every 'out/in' same day / few days away visa run type trip will be scrutinised.

It's also worth considering that these forthcoming immigration changes were announced prior to the coup and there's a different administration in charge right now who appear to want to attract as many foreign visitors as possible.

The same guy who made the announcements of the looming crackdowns is still in charge at immigration from what I've read.

• Like 1

It's also worth considering that these forthcoming immigration changes were announced prior to the coup and there's a different administration in charge right now who appear to want to attract as many foreign visitors as possible.

The same guy who made the announcements of the looming crackdowns is still in charge at immigration from what I've read.

No, there were news reports about a month ago that Gen. Phanu, the commander of Thai Immigration in recent years under whose command all this stuff began to happen, had been replaced by a different commander.

There was a mention of it in the Bangkok Post on May 29, but also here in a TV item as well.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728866-thai-coup-leader-disbands-senate-assumes-law-making-power/?p=7879293

I haven't seen peepers from the new Immigration commander -- Pol Lt Gen Sakda Cheunpakdi -- in terms of any public comments on Immigration policies relating to tourism since his appointment. According to some of the news reports and the Immigration's own website, it's an "acting" appointment for now.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=boss

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Do i need a onward travel ticket when i come from Europe to Thailand with a triple entry tourist visa ?

If you have any visa a return or onward ticket is not required.

Poor advice, and that is going to backfire on someone.

The embassy does not require and return ticket as part of the application process. SiamLegal advise having a funded return ticket booked -

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php

Someone is going to turn up here in August with a valid tourist visa and on a one way ticket. And they will be denied entry.

What the embassy says is irrelevant - immigration are going to grab the passport from the hand and pour over the visitors profile. They're going to be looking for a history of lengthy stays and multiple entries.

They're then going to look at the visitor in the eyes and say "what are you doing in Thailand?" - then the sweat will start. And at that point the visitor will not be able to show an onward travel plan. And that will be it.

There will then be a bloodbath topic started on this forum - where it will be pointed out that the management repeatedly gave out wrong advice. Get this straight once and for all -

It doesn't matter what the embassy says - the border police will decide.

And they will decide based upon the profile of your passport. I would go as far as to advise those of you with dozens of Thai entry stamps to go get a new passport. Luckily for me my passport is nearly full so when I next present myself here it will be blank.

You know, it wouldn't have bothered me if I had been denied entry on Saturday. I would have gone back to Hong Kong and had a great time. For others, showing up here after a days travel and with limited funds - getting deported would be devastating.

Do not show up here without onward travel plans.

• Like 1

Do i need a onward travel ticket when i come from Europe to Thailand with a triple entry tourist visa ?

The embassy does not require and return ticket as part of the application process. SiamLegal advise having a funded return ticket booked -

Someone is going to turn up here in August with a valid tourist visa and on a one way ticket. And they will be denied entry.

What the embassy says is irrelevant - immigration are going to grab the passport from the hand and pour over the visitors profile. They're going to be looking for a history of lengthy stays and multiple entries.

They're then going to look at the visitor in the eyes and say "what are you doing in Thailand?" - then the sweat will start. And at that point the visitor will not be able to show an onward travel plan. And that will be it.

There will then be a bloodbath topic started on this forum - where it will be pointed out that the management repeatedly gave out wrong advice. Get this straight once and for all -

And they will decide based upon the profile of your passport. I would go as far as to advise those of you with dozens of Thai entry stamps to go get a new passport. Luckily for me my passport is nearly full so when I next present myself here it will be blank.

You know, it wouldn't have bothered me if I had been denied entry on Saturday. I would have gone back to Hong Kong and had a great time. For others, showing up here after a days travel and with limited funds - getting deported would be devastating.

You were denied entry on Saturday?! More details please.

Anyway, immigration officers are people and you can talk with them. Even if you don't have an onward ticket but you have access to sufficient funds you can tell immigration that you will buy an outbound ticket once inside the country. You'll give some local airline or travel agent some income by doing so. I don't think immigration will just tell you to f*** off without giving you a chance to present your case. If you are really a drifter though, chances are you haven't got any recourse and may be deported. However, I still don't believe very many people are or will be deported...Thai immigration has had the power to deport foreigners they see as not being fit to enter the country for ages and I'm quite sure they have used that power in the past too. Obviously due to the current "crackdown" more and more people are stepping forward to detail their experiences, but I still don't believe that it's a new thing for Thai immigration to deport foreigners because it definitely isn't.

It is already being enforced at border crossings.

The August date was by air their would be some changes made.

My Lao girlfriend did her monthly border run to Cambodia (from Pattaya) last week, as she's done for the last 5 years, and got the usual 30-day stamp, so it's not being enforced 100% yet.

Laotians fall into a different category because they get their entries based upon a bilateral agreement between the two countries. Thais get the same 30 days from it. I suspect Thailand might give a bit of leeway for them for fear of reprisal it they start turning away Laotians.

That's hard to say because first of all, the 30-day visa exempt entries were never intended to be used as de-facto residence permits. I also don't think there are very many Thais living in Laos on back-to-back 30-day stamps either thus as long as Thais can continue to receive 30-day visa free entries all is well although over there I know that Lao immigration turns a blind eye to the practice of visa runs, whether your nationality requires a visa or not you can get away with it by doing it for years. I met a Vietnamese guy living on 30-day stamps in Laos (Vietnamese citizens can stay for 30 days in Laos without a visa, the same entitlement as Thais get access to), and apart from that he was also working illegally at some telecommunications company. So every 30 days he would bus down to Nong Khai, stamp out of Laos, cross the border, stamp in-out of Thailand and then back into Laos for a new 30-day stay. I also know an elderly American guy who is actually of Lao origin (strange that he can't get or doesn't know how to get a special visa for former Lao citizens allowing him to stay long term) who is doing the same thing - visa runs to Nong Khai every 30 days I believe and he has to pay for a new visa on arrival every time. Similarly, a westerner doing the same thing would be more than welcome particularly as every entry on a new visa means more money for the Lao government.

I suspect that because Laos is a neighboring country many Lao citizens length of stay is being turned a blind eye towards by Thai immigration officials who don't look closely at their passports to see whether they have been staying for 28-30 days rather than 1-3 and assume they are just crossing into Thailand regularly as part of regular cross border shopping, business or the like, most of whom stay just a day or a few days at a time at most. However, I am surprised that coming back from Cambodia where they are not citizens they wouldn't be more closely scrutinized but having said that as I just said I think it may only be a matter of time, and also not necessarily every single individual who crosses a border is scrutinized despite what the crackdown claims. Perhaps it also depends a little on the official in charge.

Unless someone knows otherwise with a source to back it up, Laotians were clearly mentioned as a target group of nationalities for the crackdown so I wouldn't say they are out of the woods.

More than likely.

No way you'll have any problems. I have stayed for far longer periods in Thailand than you on a combination of non-Bs and visa exempt entries/tourist visas and I'm not currently experiencing any problems though I'm always a bit worried. I do however have flight bookings and sufficient funds, though I've never been asked to show them.

For someone who is simply "transiting" a day in Thailand you will certainly not have any problems whatsoever. So no need to worry.

Anyway, the number of entries is not nearly as important as the length of stay on each entry or in other words, the length of stay outside of Thailand - have you been spending more time in Thailand than outside, especially on tourist visa exemptions? Clearly not from what you've stated.

More than likely.

No way you'll have any problems. I have stayed for far longer periods in Thailand than you on a combination of non-Bs and visa exempt entries/tourist visas and I'm not currently experiencing any problems though I'm always a bit worried. I do however have flight bookings and sufficient funds, though I've never been asked to show them.

For someone who is simply "transiting" a day in Thailand you will certainly not have any problems whatsoever. So no need to worry.

Anyway, the number of entries is not nearly as important as the length of stay on each entry or in other words, the length of stay outside of Thailand - have you been spending more time in Thailand than outside, especially on tourist visa exemptions? Clearly not from what you've stated.

You right but when i will come back from china im planning to stay in thailand until end of september, so around one months and half.

What d u think? I can do "visa run" for 30 days stamp or i better if i do a standard tourist visa in thailand embassy in Kunming in China?

Finally Italy is on G7, maybe is something different, usually we can have always 30 days stamp by land

You right but when i will come back from china im planning to stay in thailand until end of september, so around one months and half.

If you can shorten your stay to 37 days that can be done with a 7 days extension after the first 30, 1,900 Bt at immigration.

After which your choices are overstay at 500 Bt per day, or border run. In case you are denied 30 days at the border, you should still be allowed for another 7.

In any case as long you pay one way or another, and clearly not residing or working, it's their interest have you come back to spend more money.

You were denied entry on Saturday?! More details please.

Anyway, immigration officers are people and you can talk with them. Even if you don't have an onward ticket but you have access to sufficient funds you can tell immigration that you will buy an outbound ticket once inside the country. You'll give some local airline or travel agent some income by doing so. I don't think immigration will just tell you to f*** off without giving you a chance to present your case. If you are really a drifter though, chances are you haven't got any recourse and may be deported. However, I still don't believe very many people are or will be deported...Thai immigration has had the power to deport foreigners they see as not being fit to enter the country for ages and I'm quite sure they have used that power in the past too. Obviously due to the current "crackdown" more and more people are stepping forward to detail their experiences, but I still don't believe that it's a new thing for Thai immigration to deport foreigners because it definitely isn't.

Who said it was?

And to my recollection a Russian female was denied entry recently even after attempting to show her bank balance and offering to buy an onward ticket there and then.

I posted earlier that I was questioned extensively and that ,my passport was passed up the line to a senior official. I pointed out that the vast majority of the stamps in my passport were short stay - when I did that the tension lessened, Once I handed over my onward flight details dated 18 days in advance I was stamped in immediately.

I pointed out that the fact that my passport is virtually full may have been a factor in me being targeted. I am a genuine tourist, I don't live in Thailand. I have had one double entry visa in the past, even then I vacated before the visa ran out.

I was not standing there with multiple back to back visas and border runs. I am not who they are looking for.

Some of you guys are going to show up with the exact profile that they are looking for. Years of back to to back tourist visas, border runs, the lot. Some of you may present yourselves with a combination including Non-O. Anyway, let's not be stupid or dramatic about it.

You know, and it it may well apply to you TT69, that you have been living in the Kingdom. If any immigration officer at the border decided to have a look you're in bother. What you think and what will be are two totally different things. Just wait until the snowbirds arrive - if immigration continue with any level of increased scrutiny a lot of people are in for a shock.

So I say do not present yourself with a tourist visa without a 90 day exit flight booked. You only need one as you have not activated the second one yet anyway. Come the second one, repeat. For all it costs for a flight, especially one booked three or four months in advance, why would you not err on the side of caution?

Who said it was?

And to my recollection a Russian female was denied entry recently even after attempting to show her bank balance and offering to buy an onward ticket there and then.

I posted earlier that I was questioned extensively and that ,my passport was passed up the line to a senior official. I pointed out that the vast majority of the stamps in my passport were short stay - when I did that the tension lessened, Once I handed over my onward flight details dated 18 days in advance I was stamped in immediately.

I pointed out that the fact that my passport is virtually full may have been a factor in me being targeted. I am a genuine tourist, I don't live in Thailand. I have had one double entry visa in the past, even then I vacated before the visa ran out.

I was not standing there with multiple back to back visas and border runs. I am not who they are looking for.

Some of you guys are going to show up with the exact profile that they are looking for. Years of back to to back tourist visas, border runs, the lot. Some of you may present yourselves with a combination including Non-O. Anyway, let's not be stupid or dramatic about it.

You know, and it it may well apply to you TT69, that you have been living in the Kingdom. If any immigration officer at the border decided to have a look you're in bother. What you think and what will be are two totally different things. Just wait until the snowbirds arrive - if immigration continue with any level of increased scrutiny a lot of people are in for a shock.

So I say do not present yourself with a tourist visa without a 90 day exit flight booked. You only need one as you have not activated the second one yet anyway. Come the second one, repeat. For all it costs for a flight, especially one booked three or four months in advance, why would you not err on the side of caution?

For genuine tourists not being in possession of a return/onward ticket will not be an issue. For people trying to cheat the system, like the girl in your example, suspected of working illegally, a suspicion that proved correct, it might be.

So even in those cases entry will not be denied because they're not in possession of an onward ticket, but because they're cheating the system.

They do seem to be really paying attention to who is coming and going into Thailand, I came through swampy yesterday as was "questioned " as regards my "status" in Thailand even though I am on a WP/extension of stay and have been for many years

• Like 1

Who said it was?

For genuine tourists not being in possession of a return/onward ticket will not be an issue. For people trying to cheat the system, like the girl in your example, suspected of working illegally, a suspicion that proved correct, it might be.

So even in those cases entry will not be denied because they're not in possession of an onward ticket, but because they're cheating the system.

There has always been a requirement for tourists on visa-exempt to prove onward travel.

I am suggesting that people with tourist visas should err on the side of caution.

You say not - I say up to you.

I have told you my experience on Saturday - Soutpeel has told you his experience yesterday.

If you haven't traversed the border recently - I suggest a bit of silence is in order. We all know how lax the old regime was - you will be seeing daily reports of people being interrogated soon.

Who said it was?

There has always been a requirement for tourists on visa-exempt to prove onward travel.

I am suggesting that people with tourist visas should err on the side of caution.

You say not - I say up to you.

I have told you my experience on Saturday - Soutpeel has told you his experience yesterday.

If you haven't traversed the border recently - I suggest a bit of silence is in order. We all know how lax the old regime was - you will be seeing daily reports of people being interrogated soon.

I have traveled last month, so easily after the announcement of stricter checks.

Nothing wrong with getting more information by asking people. Why do you even mention visa exempt, we're not talking about that here, so better to not confuse the issue.

And no, you're not 'suggesting', you're claiming people are giving bad advice when they say an onward/return ticket is not necessary with tourist visa for genuine tourists.

How can i show onward travel tickets for all three entries !!!??? I can show a ticket that i fly back to europe after 6 month. Is this enough ???

Yes, onward travel tickets for all 3 entries are really not required.