Thailand Driving License: Tough new tests from 1st June 2014

Definition of passing a Thai Driving License Test:

To exceed the required failure limit of each test procedure and automatically receive the license.

Definition of failing a Thai Driving License Test:

Once obtaining the license: ...to drive ones vehicle into an object, causing immediate death.

These are the tried, proven and agreed upon methods, of which both are 100% inarguable.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to actually teach them to drive because they can't. I did my Thai licence earlier this year for both car and motorbike, when my international was running out. The theory test was ok and similar to that which I have taken in western countries. However the actual driving test was a joke. For those who are interested, there were only 3 foreigners this day and about 60 Thais, so we were each put into groups of about 5 and each group did their exam while everyone else watched on from the waiting area next to the course.

On the bike I had to pull up at the start and state my name, turn right, turn left, enter the round a bout and go around once, stop at the stop sign, turn right, stop at some markers then weave between then, stop at another stop sign and continue to the end. That was it.

For the car it was exactly the same, but instead of weaving through the markers we had to do a reverse park between some other markers (concrete bases with steel poles). This space was the equivalent of an empty car space. In the west we do this between 2 actual cars in the street. Well, this is where I was shocked, I was in the 4th group and thought this as easy as like most people on here i've done this everyday. With 23 years driving and a good history and I believe pretty good skill passed no problem. However, only about 2 people in each group (1/3) did the reverse park without issues, everyone else hit the poles with some people hitting both front and back. One lady actually did a bit of damage to the car. What surprised me was that when I went inside the office area to collect my licence, so was everyone else including the lady who did all the damage. I was that taken back I thought out loud, cause I remember saying "Wow, unbelievable" and the girl doing the photos asked me in very good english "what is?". I simply said to her "I can't believe these people are getting a licence when none of them can drive. You are basically giving them a licence to kill cause they are going to leave here, driving 100km/hr with no idea how to drive". Her reply "Welcome to Thailand". The other thing that made me shake my head was that about 90% of the people doing their driving test, drove to the test in their own cars or bikes. Meaning unlicenced driving. I will post in good detail of the actual days events and everything needed for the licence a little latter for those who are interested in finding out more.

Edited by Phuketboy

Forgive me for asking a rather simple question.

The hours of 'instruction' are increased. OK, but does the person actually have to take an official test with an examiner, as in the UK for example.? You can have 200 hours with a driving school and still 'fail' the actual test.

I have had a clean licence for 51 years both in the UK and here. I only mention that to reinforce any readers understanding of my constant fear of driving over here in and around Pattaya. I call it defensive left mirror driving - that's the most important of the mirrors to me.

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" Bt. 500 ? "

" yes and you have just passed the new tougher driving test . "

Contrary to popular belief, you can't bribe your way out of everything here. I've had many friends try this method and they got nowhere. Obviously you've never been to the Department of Motor Vehicles here.

Forgive me for asking a rather simple question.

The hours of 'instruction' are increased. OK, but does the person actually have to take an official test with an examiner, as in the UK for example.? You can have 200 hours with a driving school and still 'fail' the actual test.

I have had a clean licence for 51 years both in the UK and here. I only mention that to reinforce any readers understanding of my constant fear of driving over here in and around Pattaya. I call it defensive left mirror driving - that's the most important of the mirrors to me.

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

No examiner in the car. They have a small driving test course, you don't go out on a real road. No instruction for Motorway driving/lane discipline. My advice to anyone driving a car in Thailand is always double check before changing lanes because of bikes and if you are on a bike try to stay ahead of the traffic. I know that's not possible on a scooter. Be safe.

P.S. You are old enough to remember the public information films for driving they used to put on TV in the UK. Why they don't do that here I don't know.

Edited by ATF

The place to start is BICYCLE TRAINING. Thai learn to ride bicycle, then apply those principles and habits to their motorbikes, and then behind the wheel of car or huge truck. There is a straight line from bad bicycle riding to bad driving, but adults are too late to train.

Seconded.

Anyone of a similar age to myself and from the UK should remember the Cycling Proficiency Test, it wasn't compulsory but it was very heavily encouraged.

You developed a significant amount of road sense long before you got to control anything with an engine.

I wonder if they still do it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" Bt. 500 ? "

" yes and you have just passed the new tougher driving test . "

Contrary to popular belief, you can't bribe your way out of everything here. I've had many friends try this method and they got nowhere. Obviously you've never been to the Department of Motor Vehicles here.

Add another 1000Bt and see the eyes pop and you could be out with a shiny new license in a jif. But it's true not everyone is on the take, however I have never witnessed a refusal, be it a new jacket from my lawyer to one of the BIB or a free lunch, cash, need I say more.

A spokesperson for the DLT also went on to confirm that it plans to expand the number of driver training centres nationwide in order to accommodate the increase in training and studying time and that the DLT is actively seeking new trainers to help teach the revised driving curriculum.

Who is going to train the trainers?

I recently went through the whole Driving Licence process, since I had never bothered to get one before; the training consisted of 15 hours of me driving around and the "instructor" telling me "turn here" "turn there" and speaking on his phone with his giks. Not one comment on signage, rules of the road or driving procedure (except telling me to turn of the AC before turning off the engine), of course I did study the Thai road regulations and all that by myself, but from the instructor I got nothing.

The practical test took 5 minutes were they simply evaluated if I could drive forward and backwards for 15 meters, parallel parking and being able to park less than 25 cm from the road; so it was basically a parking, not driving, test.

Of course even that amounts to nothing when the real problem is a complete lack of enforcement of the rules.

I bet that surprised a few pedestrians.

If......

If all authorities will be serious about this it might become a first step in the right direction.

Next stepwould be to use the traffic police for enforce the rules.

If the traffic police enforced the rules TV would go ballistic with all the "innocent" farangs whining about how they were unfairly booked - read the threads on enforcing the visa rules and you will see what I mean.

It would be better to enforce the existing laws to prevent from reckless driving,You can not produce the better drivers by making them going through new strict tests. Make the existing drivers to follow the law.

i totally agree but i am sorry to say they need to stamp out this (the falang is ALWAYS in the wrong ) in an road incident

Yes - the attitude seems to be that if the farang had not been there in the first place, the accident would not have happened. I recall one motor bike taxi driver asking his passenger to pay for the damage after they had been in an accident that was the motor bike taxi driver's fault. The reason? The accident would not have happened if the farang had not hired the motor bike taxi in the first place! They don't believe it back home!facepalm.gif

It's not going to make people better drivers or reduce their levels of road rage. The Roads in Thailand are full of unlicensed drivers and idiots. Get the police out onto the roads and actually book people breaking the laws.

Absolutely 100% agree. It is that simple. If laws are not enforced then there is no incentive to follow the laws.

Tough new driving tests are good, but may only contribute a tiny fraction to better drivers, if at all. It amazes me that the government is totally clueless about what it REALLY takes to improve safety on the roads.

Heard a great joke the other day:

The Thai authorities have decided to switch to driving on the right side of the road, they are concerned that a sudden change would be to much confusion for everybody and so are implementing a phased system with the trucks and buses to start first. Boom boom,

It is a joke right? ;-)

"The Department of Land Transport believes that the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards, making drivers pay more attention when driving and therefore reducing the number of accidents on Thailand’s roads."

For a moment I thought that this was 1st April again! Driving standards will never improve here until the authorities start revoking people's licences for a lengthy period and sending anyone driving without a licence to prison.

Alan

Well from the looks of it, that would probably get rid of half the farang on the roads. coffee1.gif

And 99.9% of the locals. coffee1.gif

It would be better to enforce the existing laws to prevent from reckless driving,You can not produce the better drivers by making them going through new strict tests. Make the existing drivers to follow the law.

i totally agree but i am sorry to say they need to stamp out this (the falang is ALWAYS in the wrong ) in an road incident

Yes - the attitude seems to be that if the farang had not been there in the first place, the accident would not have happened. I recall one motor bike taxi driver asking his passenger to pay for the damage after they had been in an accident that was the motor bike taxi driver's fault. The reason? The accident would not have happened if the farang had not hired the motor bike taxi in the first place! They don't believe it back home!facepalm.gif

I don't believe here either!!

Biggest load of &lt;deleted&gt; I've heard......and I've heard a lot.

Look at it this way:

Without the farangs/foreigners coming to Thailand, Thais would not have cars, motorcycles, phones, computers, tv, fidges, electicity....at all.

So. Yes. It is all completly our fault.

Every time I see one of these threads with "superior" farangs going on about Thai drivers I always wonder what it would be like back in farang countries if the police suddenly announced they would no longer be stopping drivers for DUI, speeding, red lights, etc. ? I suspect they would drive even worse than Thais especially in places like Italy or Miami. Considering that there is no fear of police intervention here I think the Thai's are actually RELATIVELY restrained. And to be honest I think I actually prefer having to be extra careful here in return for not having to constantly be looking in my mirror for the police or cameras sending me a ticket in the mail for some minor infraction like in the states or Briton.

Well bob it really is not about superior farangs, but all about Superior driving laws, superior training, superior policing,superior license testing..........i could go on forever. rolleyes.gif

Heard a great joke the other day:

The Thai authorities have decided to switch to driving on the right side of the road, they are concerned that a sudden change would be to much confusion for everybody and so are implementing a phased system with the trucks and buses to start first. Boom boom,

It is a joke right? ;-)

Maybe if they implement this more slowly and get everyone to start driveing in the middle of the road.

AS PER USUEL

...........The Department of Land Transport believes that the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards.........

and I believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.