Bus drivers ignoring new BMTA regulation for better safety and service

Lite Beer

They could start by trying to keep the buses on the left side of the road.

The last few days I have driven through the Dusit area and daily I see buses driving on the wrong side of the road forcing on-coming cars to stop and move over.

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority's (BMTA) new regulation calling for all buses to keep to the left lane and for them to stop at all bus stops . . .

So they made new rules. Big deal! Obviously they are NOT enforcing them. No surprise.

The land of jokes. Failed State + laws never enforced + corrupted police = chaos = anarchy = TIT = It will never change.

So why don't you leave??????????????????????????

I truly hope you are not teaching here.

With your attitude, nothing in the whole world would ever develop. Smug chops!!

• Like 1

Totster, on 17 May 2014 - 10:24, said:

Well, there's a surprise...

totster smile.png

Yeah, I am so shocked by this blatant breaking of the rule/laws, never would have expected it here in this law abiding society. ok.. I know, all said in jest.

Perhaps they could cone off the bus lane and get PDRC guards to enforce it? whistling.gif

Congratulations to you fabby. On a topic about Bangkok bus regulations and handling, you, and only you. managed to bring in the PDRC.

Jolly well done, cracking post.clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The near complete lack of law enforcement here is astonishing. The toy police rarely back up new laws, and when they do the cowardly judges do not impose adequate fines, nor penalties. For anything but drug related offenses there is very little deterrent. These guys will not change their ways without one. Anything else is wishful thinking.

• Like 1

This is not about the buses driving in the centre or outside lane , they can drive where they want to keep to the schedule. It is about buses pulling into the left lane when they stop and not having passengers get off and have to cross the inside lane of motorbikes. Also educating drivers to give way to buses pulling out would help.

I have great deal of respect for Bangkok bus drivers. Everyday they have to take to roads frequented by idiots, while still trying to maintain a semblance of a timetable.

Repainting the red lines on the kerbs at all bus tops and not penalizing bus drivers for scratching vehicles parked at bus tops would soon solve the problem.

In the west there are no more small shops along roadsides, everyone has to drive to the mall to go shoppingsad.png So the roadside parking problem has been resolved but the quality of life may not have been.

Have you exhausted all pie in the sky solutions for this problem, yet? Next topic please.

Maybe get beings that aren't jungle raised illiterates to drive a crappy bus for 10 hours in 40 degree heat for 8000b a month with 2 days off.

I'm betting that there isn't exactly a queue.

arisaje, on 17 May 2014 - 16:54, said:
fullcave, on 17 May 2014 - 15:50, said:

Nobody’s forcing you to stay...whistling.gif

Nobody is forcing 'who' to stay??

Isn't this topic about bus drivers breaking new safety rules? This might effect all people here directly or indirectly, whether they like it in Thailand, or they don't.

Maybe you like to live in a lawless country with utter chaos that appears to get worse month on month…..but it is getting very similar to Somalia…Nigeria…Ivory Coast and i bet you wouldn't go to live there

Some people only have one comment, so will post it many times.

If you can't reform bus drivers, who can you reform? smile.png It might be a good idea to pay them by the hour instead of by the 'round trip'. Oh, and a strict enforcement of cars/trucks/vans stopping and blocking bus stops might help as well.

A prime minister can be ousted by a kangaroo court over nothing of consequence, or by a coup for being too successful in business and winning too many elections, while people roam the streets, occupy public land illegally, and advocate the overthrow of government with impunity; and the concern is about bus drivers?

• Like 1

Maybe get beings that aren't jungle raised illiterates to drive a crappy bus for 10 hours in 40 degree heat for 8000b a month with 2 days off.

I'm betting that there isn't exactly a queue.

So what's your solution? You've raised a very good question. How would you fix it?

Asking a bit much I know, but why are there not dedicated bus lanes. Any infringement by other road users incurs a fine. Keeps the traffic moving and busses have it all their own way. I'm dreaming of course!

so if bus drivers endanger lives, they could be fined. I didn't see any

mention of getting fired. Wouldn't that be the safest thing to do? thumbsup.gif

Three years ago a bus collided with my wife in her car at a junction. He was clearly in the wrong and admitted so. There was only minor damage.

However, when she was seeking to exchange insurance particulars he said - and I quote. "please let us settle this outside insurance as I killed a motorcyclist yesterday and the company are likely to fire me now". ( My Thai wife translation)

I was gobsmacked. What company would allow a driver, involved in a fatal accident the day before - irrespective of the circumstances - behind the wheel of a bus the next day full of Chinese tourists?

Hard to believe but it's 100% true.

Today on my bicycle on phaholyothin between jatujak and saphan kwai a speeding bus came by. I was in the middle lane doing around 35kph and the orange bus came from my right and squeezed me all the way into to bus stop then opened the doors and the people came pouring out. Almost killed me. As i came to a stop, i saw the bma bus guy at the stop, he was looking straight at me, in the eyes. The bus was still there, by now he had closed the middle doors, never opened the front doors but as i started to complain to the bma guy, he opened the back doors again, i was still stopped where it happened. As i explained what happened and asked "didn't you see it", the bus eventually left. The bma guy told me he didn't notice and to file a complaint we needed the bus number. I said that's what i was doing, why did you let him drive away! He gave me a look of embarrassment, i gave him a look of disappointment and rode away.

What is he doing there? His job is to say hello to all the buses??

Phaholyothin is a disaster with those buses. Practically each and every one drives like a maniac. All day Friday i watched on tv about this crackdown. The reporters were right there in this same place reporting! This is the next day and no one gives hoot alrwady!!

-*I typed this myself*-

The land of jokes. Failed State + laws never enforced + corrupted police = chaos = anarchy = TIT = It will never change.

And that's the way we like it.

Somehow yes. I know that we also like the "Thai" mess but that's also why it is so cheap. But the laxity and anarchy reach such high level that it becomes dangerous. An example: Thailand is the 2nd country in the World for number of deaths on the roads. Don't you think that little bit too much? Do you still like when you know that your life is at high risk? Do you like it when you know that there is no construction standard (but you still pay high price for your condo), when you know that what you eat every single day is full of forbidden/dangerous chemicals and pesticides. Do you still like it when you will be in trouble and you will be wrong even though you are right?

Do you still like it or are you unconscious? Think twice before you like it and believe me, you will understand the reality of LOS aka TIT.

So true. Perhaps if/when road accident deaths increase Thailand will be #1. in the world. Then they can legitimately claim to be the hub of something. Can we visualize the boast,” Thailand the hub of road death”.

"...the severity depended on whether the offense was intentional..."

When it comes to driving in Thailand, nothing appears to be intentional. They just get in or on a motor vehicle and go, without any awareness that there are other people on the road. wai2.gif wai2.gif wai2.gif

Rule No. 1

Turn on key Turn off brain ( That is if they had one to begin with ) whistling.gif