Any advice on moving Thai lodger along please

Mac66

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should not have to move out of your appartment. Try telling him that you have your family coming from over seas to stay with you for a couple of months next week and insist he must leave withen the next couple of day's then start moving his belongings to the front door for him to move out, then ask him for his entry card so you can give it to tour family and inform the condo staff for the guard to refuse him access to the lift or enter the building

Another good idea if the Krungsri one doesn't scare him off. If you have some farang friends in town you could rope them into this.

Get them to turn up with a couple of suitcases each to imply they're staying quite a land then the pressure will be on Mister Freeloader to get his belongings out as they're waiting on that room.

If you've given him notice of their arrival and stay the onus will be on him to get out ASAP.

• Like 1

Hello mac66

I am very sorry to read about your difficulties. You sound like a decent man whose good nature has been sorely abused. You have done nothing wrong to deserve this.

In your OP you say:

"I am also now of the understanding that prior to the wife moving back to Buriram they both took out loans and credit cards with Krungsi Bank and the move and finishing their jobs was to avoid paying the money back. I have this information from a mutual Thai friend who says my lodger finds it amusing he has been able to get away for the money. This would suggest to me that he has no intention of ever getting a job as the bank would be able to find him relatively quickly."

If the bank were to find out where he is living, do you, or indeed other TV readers, know what the legal consequences would be? If you owe money to a bank then under Thai law, will there be criminal as well as civil proceedings? Even if it is only a civil matter, any sort of contact from the bank may be enough to encourage him to make a quick exit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jukebox. I don't know the consequences of owing money here in Thailand. However this morning a colleague at work has told me he has the contact details for head of credit card security at Krungsi. He is going to speak to him see if there is an option for bank collections to pay a visit that may well scare him out. Thanks again.

TURN OFF THE POWER. LOCK THE POWER BOX. CHANGE THE DOOR LOCKS.

when he is out, put all his belongings in the hall way, cover up with some plastic sheet or not, have the locks change, put a sign on the door

he is obviously taking advantage of your goodness

Only see two options:

1 ) wait for him to leave your appartment, move his stuff out on the street, change the locks and tell the police that there will be trouble coming...

2 ) get yourself a new place to stay, and then do the same as in 1 ) but move yourself to the new appartment at the same time.

sorry, but if you don't have connections to the local police to come and help you move him out, then the above seems the way to do it.

Yeah, that sure is being up front, isn't it. Just throw the bum out. He is/was a friend, be honest and treat him like a friend.

Give him 48 hours to go--that's the friendly part. If not you will throw him out--that's the honest part. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

Only see two options:

1 ) wait for him to leave your appartment, move his stuff out on the street, change the locks and tell the police that there will be trouble coming...

2 ) get yourself a new place to stay, and then do the same as in 1 ) but move yourself to the new appartment at the same time.

sorry, but if you don't have connections to the local police to come and help you move him out, then the above seems the way to do it.

Thanks. I do not have any connections with police. Moving is the best option.

jesus christ man, grab him by the throat and march him out the door

If you'd summarise that long story into a short passage containing the relevant information then you'd get more responses.

I'm guessing you are American Edward.

spelling looks Brit-influenced

Let's see now.

Correct use of the apostrophe on two occasions, correct use of the 's' (as opposed to a 'z', pronounced 'zed') in the word 'summarise', no spelling mistakes, near perfect sentence construction, and a user name that has reference to a classic British comedy called 'The League of Gentlemen'.

Overwhelming evidence that he's not American. biggrin.png

Edited by Gsxrnz

Go to the police explain the situation I am sure for a 1,000 baht the policeman will come around and chase him for you it is that easy, as soon as the guy is in your apartment call the policeman a few of my mates have used this tactic to get out of a sticky situation good luck

Rule #1: What worked for you, may not work for me.

Rule #2 What worked for you yesterday, may not work for you today

Rule #3: What worked for somebody's friends....probably didn't really.

go to the police with someone that speaks thai & explain everything.

go back and pack all his belongings into bags & change the locks if possible.

take his bags down to security, give a copy of the police statement to the condo management & security explaining what has happened and that he is not to come in anymore.

it's quite an easy process.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for you, I would truly hate to be in this position. You have to do something.

Put his stuff out on the street and change the locks. If you have building security tell them not to let him in, otherwise notify the police.

Pay up your rent/lease, give notice, find a new apartment. When he's out give the keys to the agent/landlord and move out.

Gets some ghost noise recordings and pipe that into the building

This is actually not a bad idea

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's a great idea. Me and the old New Yorker did this but using long exposure photography to put a ghost in the house to keep the wife and drunken boy friend out.

Photos done, I bottled it when thinking the critical path all the way through to the moment the locals turn up with a bulldozer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

To Mac66 - I hope that some of the real idiots on this forum have trouble and need a place to go for advice. This is one of the first choices but not always the best place.

I fully sympathize with you. We invited a young man to visit my son for a weekend; he stayed for 9 months! Ya, we are too nice and also were then too new in Chiang Mai, suspecting that if we filed charges against him, he would go to the Thai-support-Thai defense and make false charges against us. We were blackmailed until I chose to act against the instructions of legal counsel and neighborhood leaders. Here is what I did.

Early on a day we found him out of the house, we packed up all his many belongings into 5-ply cardboard cartons, sealed them with tape, tied them with twine, marked each with his name, and moved them out to the public street. It was the rain season but that day it was dry. Everything was moved out. We changed the front gate lock and when he returned driving one of our motorcycles we'd lent him, I was called to the gate, demanded the key to the motorcycle as he, looking stupefied and actually crying, nearly made me feel sorry for him.

Handing me the keys, meekly, he asked me in effect why I was doing this to him. I replied for it's time for you to move on. Where? he wailed; I am so comfortable here, why must I go, he carried on. I have no place to go, he protested through his real tears.

Having anticipated the need, we'd hired a song-tau who came when called, helped him to load his many packages on board and on top, and gave the Song-tau driver money to take him to the bus station with instructions to put him on a bus to his family home (hours away), and I went inside.

The only fallout: he kept our land line number and for many years has kept pestering us with incessant late night miss-calls. I chose not to change the number in the event someone from my large family needed me and did not get the advice of the change. Even with caller ID the phone company was not able to stop his calls, so we all changed to cell phones and keep the land lines only for emergencies... and installed a turn off switch when he calls ... Mind you, the last calls were this morning; the fool is still lost and angry for nearly 8 years!!

And we have learned our lesson. No good deed ever goes unpunished. We now tell all overnight guests the day they arrive to tell us the day they will leave, with the warning if they don't leave on time, we will put their stuff out on the street. Of course they think it's a joke as I tell them in a very happy manner, but from our point of view, it's fair warning and that will hold up in any police or court investigation should they seek to go that route. If they ask why I tell them the above story. "Your home is like a 7 star hotel" some guest write in our guest book. hahah. I should charge those rates.

And the dolts on this forum will point out acid and guns are also used here as the reason to use more caution.

Nonsense; forget bribes, going down improper paths, encouraging fights or disregarding danger. We are guest here and most local Thais know and appreciate us for who we are. Of course we have protective proactive and defensive measures ..... but there has not been one untoward incident beyond words.

I have lived successfully in Asia for more than 20 years the same way: honest to a fault, helpful whenever I can be, and resolute in keeping my home and family secure from idiots who inhabit the world, not just Thailand.

Hi SLESQ thanks for your suggestion. Sounds very similar to my situation. When I have asked him to leave he has sorted of laughed and said I don't have any where to go and then walks off. I do follow up and and let him know that is not my problem and he still has to go but to no effect .. more talk such as you have two rooms why cant you share. I get nowhere with it and he just watches tv like I am not even talking. Exasperating! I have also considered many times to put his stuff out but then I get soft and don't do that, simply because he doesn't have much (fridge, microwave, those roll out beds and other linen / clothes items) and putting it out might get taken or ruined in the weather. Obviously I am being to considerate. Whilst some on here have been rude, I was looking for input which I received. It has been helpful in sorting out all the thoughts going around in my head and to work out a way forward. Thanks again your thoughtfulness and sharing your experience. I have a clear plan now. Cheers

Edited by Mac66

Go to the police explain the situation I am sure for a 1,000 baht the policeman will come around and chase him for you it is that easy, as soon as the guy is in your apartment call the policeman a few of my mates have used this tactic to get out of a sticky situation good luck

Good idea,but dont offer the policeman to stay overnight !coffee1.gif

you need the police statement before you act.

the whole process only cost me 20 baht for the police photocopier.

it will also pre-empt any kind of police complaint he might think of.

easy to let a thai move in but try getting them out........they are like limpets.

Edited by jomcondo

You asked him to leave? Tell him to leave. Raise your voice, swear, all the things that Thai's never do...this might help to get the message across. Tell your landlord just in case he does damage and you are held responsible. Why do you think is wife left? Alcoholism doesn't occur overnight. Brother you have been had. Sort of a new version of "I love a Thai woman but she is married".

It's a great idea. Me and the old New Yorker did this but using long exposure photography to put a ghost in the house to keep the wife and drunken boy friend out.

Photos done, I bottled it when thinking the critical path all the way through to the moment the locals turn up with a bulldozer.

The ghost pics would have worked! My wife didn't want to look at the test photos. This is powerful stuff in Thaland. Anyone who bulldozed the place would have to accomodate the ghost. It wouldn't be difficult to plant that seed. We then could have done a exorcism when MJP returned and taken clean photos of the house. Atleast, this what the old New Yorker would have done. Superstition is not to be underestimated in Thailand!

Unfortunately, since you invited him into the apartment, you're going to have to do it the legal way, get a lawyer, go to court, get an eviction notice on him, and if he doesn't leave, then he can be removed by way of the authorities so long as the judge deems it correct. The laws of the land don't differ too much from other countries, and the strong-arm technique can get you into trouble. Either way, you'll be in badlands. Take it as a lesson for the future. As a softener, you could perhaps let him know you're going to see a lawyer, get the court involved, and take it from there. He might then see that it's not worth the hassle anymore and move on??

The ghost pics would have worked! My wife didn't want to look at the test photos. This is powerful stuff in Thaland. Anyone who bulldozed the place would have to accomodate the ghost. It wouldn't be difficult to plant that seed. We then could have done a exorcism when MJP returned and taken clean photos of the house. Atleast, this what the old New Yorker would have done. Superstition is not to be underestimated in Thailand!

Is that you R?

Unfortunately, since you invited him into the apartment, you're going to have to do it the legal way, get a lawyer, go to court, get an eviction notice on him, and if he doesn't leave, then he can be removed by way of the authorities so long as the judge deems it correct. The laws of the land don't differ too much from other countries, and the strong-arm technique can get you into trouble. Either way, you'll be in badlands. Take it as a lesson for the future. As a softener, you could perhaps let him know you're going to see a lawyer, get the court involved, and take it from there. He might then see that it's not worth the hassle anymore and move on??

it's not that complicated.

I've done it, it was an incredibly easy process.

Also, re-reading your post, smells something like you've been caught in a scam. I would not advocate anything illegal as this (as a businessman) could put you in a very awkward position...think carefully on your next move.....

Place all of his belonging out in the hall...or out of the building...

Change the door locks...and post a notice on the door that you will not be responsible for this individual in any way, shape or form...

This kind of irresponsible freeloader...will never leave...must be booted out...

Do not feel sorry for him...he has taken advantage of you far too long...

• Like 1

To Mac66 - I hope that some of the real idiots on this forum have trouble and need a place to go for advice. This is one of the first choices but not always the best place.

I fully sympathize with you. We invited a young man to visit my son for a weekend; he stayed for 9 months! Ya, we are too nice and also were then too new in Chiang Mai, suspecting that if we filed charges against him, he would go to the Thai-support-Thai defense and make false charges against us. We were blackmailed until I chose to act against the instructions of legal counsel and neighborhood leaders. Here is what I did.

Early on a day we found him out of the house, we packed up all his many belongings into 5-ply cardboard cartons, sealed them with tape, tied them with twine, marked each with his name, and moved them out to the public street. It was the rain season but that day it was dry. Everything was moved out. We changed the front gate lock and when he returned driving one of our motorcycles we'd lent him, I was called to the gate, demanded the key to the motorcycle as he, looking stupefied and actually crying, nearly made me feel sorry for him.

Handing me the keys, meekly, he asked me in effect why I was doing this to him. I replied for it's time for you to move on. Where? he wailed; I am so comfortable here, why must I go, he carried on. I have no place to go, he protested through his real tears.

Having anticipated the need, we'd hired a song-tau who came when called, helped him to load his many packages on board and on top, and gave the Song-tau driver money to take him to the bus station with instructions to put him on a bus to his family home (hours away), and I went inside.

The only fallout: he kept our land line number and for many years has kept pestering us with incessant late night miss-calls. I chose not to change the number in the event someone from my large family needed me and did not get the advice of the change. Even with caller ID the phone company was not able to stop his calls, so we all changed to cell phones and keep the land lines only for emergencies... and installed a turn off switch when he calls ... Mind you, the last calls were this morning; the fool is still lost and angry for nearly 8 years!!

And we have learned our lesson. No good deed ever goes unpunished. We now tell all overnight guests the day they arrive to tell us the day they will leave, with the warning if they don't leave on time, we will put their stuff out on the street. Of course they think it's a joke as I tell them in a very happy manner, but from our point of view, it's fair warning and that will hold up in any police or court investigation should they seek to go that route. If they ask why I tell them the above story. "Your home is like a 7 star hotel" some guest write in our guest book. hahah. I should charge those rates.

And the dolts on this forum will point out acid and guns are also used here as the reason to use more caution.

Nonsense; forget bribes, going down improper paths, encouraging fights or disregarding danger. We are guest here and most local Thais know and appreciate us for who we are. Of course we have protective proactive and defensive measures ..... but there has not been one untoward incident beyond words.

I have lived successfully in Asia for more than 20 years the same way: honest to a fault, helpful whenever I can be, and resolute in keeping my home and family secure from idiots who inhabit the world, not just Thailand.

Hi SLESQ thanks for your suggestion. Sounds very similar to my situation. When I have asked him to leave he has sorted of laughed and said I don't have any where to go and then walks off. I do follow up and and let him know that is not my problem and he still has to go but to no effect .. more talk such as you have two rooms why cant you share. I get nowhere with it and he just watches tv like I am not even talking. Exasperating! I have also considered many times to put his stuff out but then I get soft and don't do that, simply because he doesn't have much (fridge, microwave, those roll out beds and other linen / clothes items) and putting it out might get taken or ruined in the weather. Obviously I am being to considerate. Whilst some on here have been rude, I was looking for input which I received. It has been helpful in sorting out all the thoughts going around in my head and to work out a way forward. Thanks again your thoughtfulness and sharing your experience. I have a clear plan now. Cheers

Dear Op,

You've mentioned that he’s obviously taking, or maybe also selling drugs. Why would I let such a guy destroy my life? No way.

It doesn't really matter now, if he owes money to a bank, nor his problems with his wife/baby, etc…

Can’t you just get hold of the cards, take them away that he doesn't have access to your place anymore? If he’d get caught with drugs, you’d be blamed and might face huge problems.

Just take a Thai guy you know, make him move out and if he’s even trying to cause problems he’ll get what he would deserve.

Please don’t waste so much time with problems like that guy that has nothing to do with you. Life’s too short.

Show up with a Thai guy who knows what it’s all about, have some guys available to remove his stuff out of your place and make sure that he won’t come in this building again.

Honestly speaking, you were way too soft on that p_ _ck.

Now please do what has to be done. Good luck.-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1