Growing Naga Chillies (bhut jolokia) In Thailand?

IsaanRick

Dorset_Naga_1_gr_5021274da8e85.jpg

Has anybody grown naga chillies (bhut jolokia) over here in Thailand & if so what are your experiences? any tricks, tips or recommendations would be much appreciated.

I have tried once myself & found that the plants did not react well to the heat & sun which surprised me as most chilli plants thrive from these conditions.

Cheers

IsaanRick

The only difficulties that I have had with growing chillies here has been due to members of the aubergine/tomato/chilli family being repeatedly planted on the same spot for years, leading to wilt. I can no longer plant any of these in my garden for the time being.

• Like 1

I would think they might be available at the indian market bkk.[pahurat] next to china town.

I am lucky my nieghbour works in india and brings me authentic spices,last week he brought me onion powder and tandoori masala mix[15bht] x 50grms and some very nice paprika.

• Like 1

I would think they might be available at the indian market bkk.[pahurat] next to china town.

I am lucky my nieghbour works in india and brings me authentic spices,last week he brought me onion powder and tandoori masala mix[15bht] x 50grms and some very nice paprika.

I usually get a lot of my spices from the pahurat area, I have never seen naga chill though? That's a nice neighbor I wish mine would do that :)

I usually make my own tandoori powder & onion powder but it is time consuming.

Cheers

IsaanRick

I usually get a lot of my spices from the pahurat area, I have never seen naga chill though? That's a nice neighbor I wish mine would do that :)

I usually make my own tandoori powder & onion powder but it is time consuming.

Cheers

IsaanRick

The only difficulties that I have had with growing chillies here has been due to members of the aubergine/tomato/chilli family being repeatedly planted on the same spot for years, leading to wilt. I can no longer plant any of these in my garden for the time being.

That's good info to know I will bear that in mind in the future. I actually did my last naga chilli seeds that I purchased off the internet in single pots, but still didn't get a good result

Cheers

IsaanRick

I had unfortunate experiences with these bags, I found out that most of them were spent mushroom compost and therefore worthless. I raised tomatoes in one bag for ages, transplanting them into normal garden soil worked miracles (until the dreaded wilt took hold). At present I am experimenting with a mixture of coconut husks, well matured cow poo, home made compost (tomato plants burnt) and yes, some of this bagged compost to fill the cracks. I may follow my own advice and cultivate in pots (in the shade) or even go for hydroponics, there is a good thread on the farming forum.

• Like 1

Hello All,they grow as well as any of the super hot chilies here, the pic were

in 08 when Naga G was #1, seed was from Uof NM Chili Pepper Institute.

The new #1 kid on the block is the Carolina Reaper displacing the Trinidad

Scorpion.

But for general heat and sauces, any of the habs will work. For ease of

growing and and the amount of fruit, I like the Congo Trinidad Hab, around

200,000 SVU, about 10% of the heat of a naga, but less fungus problems

if things get wet.

rice555

post-37242-0-54084000-1400315360_thumb.j

post-37242-0-47569500-1400315403_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hello All,they grow as well as any of the super hot chilies here, the pic were

in 08 when Naga G was #1, seed was from Uof NM Chili Pepper Institute.

The new #1 kid on the block is the Carolina Reaper displacing the Trinidad

Scorpion.

But for general heat and sauces, any of the habs will work. For ease of

growing and and the amount of fruit, I like the Congo Trinidad Hab, around

200,000 SVU, about 10% of the heat of a naga, but less fungus problems

if things get wet.

rice555

Hi rice555

They are great pics & interesting information, where in Thailand did you grow them? did you put them into direct sunlight?

Cheers

IsaanRick

I had unfortunate experiences with these bags, I found out that most of them were spent mushroom compost and therefore worthless. I raised tomatoes in one bag for ages, transplanting them into normal garden soil worked miracles (until the dreaded wilt took hold). At present I am experimenting with a mixture of coconut husks, well matured cow poo, home made compost (tomato plants burnt) and yes, some of this bagged compost to fill the cracks. I may follow my own advice and cultivate in pots (in the shade) or even go for hydroponics, there is a good thread on the farming forum.

I didnt know that about those bags, thanks for the heads up, have you ever tried buffalo dung?

I have a friend in Isaan that is doing it the hydroponic way so I am waiting for him to let me know how he has got on.

Good shot rice 555.

I planted about 30 seeds last month. One came up to about an inch so I transplanted it three weeks ago. It is still an inch tall. I also got my seeds from the NMchili institute.

I live in Wyoming and there is still snow on the ground here. Naga's are hard to sprout, grow and get going here. When we move to Thailand I will bring another 100 seeds or so. So expensive!!!!

I envy your plants! They are beautiful!

• Like 1

while we are talking about growing your own,has anybody got a bay leaf tree,the dried crap I last bought was black with no taste.

we had a cracker in the uk.we have had a lot of success with all our fruit tree's from kok-krut,the jack-fruit are exclusively to us.our dog water's them every morning.so I will try there.

• Like 1

while we are talking about growing your own,has anybody got a bay leaf tree,the dried crap I last bought was black with no taste.

we had a cracker in the uk.we have had a lot of success with all our fruit tree's from kok-krut,the jack-fruit are exclusively to us.our dog water's them every morning.so I will try there.

That's a great idea a bay leaf tree I would love to try & grow one down here in Isaan that could save me a fortune, I usually get my bay leaves from Bangkok in the Indian area (Pranakorn) they are much better than the horrible ones in Makro.

I would also like to grow a curry leaves tree? if anybody has any info on where I could purchase both trees from please let me know?

Working in Bangkok, living in a high rise condo and driving to/from work in horrendous traffic and weekends at the shopping malls. You guys are so very lucky doing things that you enjoy, i wish i could do the same.

• Like 1

Hello All, IsaanRick, all my chilies/toms are hydro, they have for the past 13 years

in Korat.

Another pic of my Naga's, the bucket is filled with coir, no dirt.

Another of Naga, Jamican Hotchoc habs, serranos and drying NuMex Pequin.

Hotchoc habs R/H, Congo Trinidad L.

Part of this past season, serrano, jal, Anaheim, pasilla and black toms.

Testing 4 diferent ancho verities.

rice555

post-37242-0-84082600-1400398282_thumb.j

post-37242-0-80201200-1400398298_thumb.j

post-37242-0-24511500-1400398334_thumb.j

post-37242-0-73308100-1400398359_thumb.j

post-37242-0-77575200-1400398393_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pretty sure they won't grow here, but you can try.

• Like 1

Hello All, IsaanRick, all my chilies/toms are hydro, they have for the past 13 years

in Korat.

Another pic of my Naga's, the bucket is filled with coir, no dirt.

Another of Naga, Jamican Hotchoc habs, serranos and drying NuMex Pequin.

Hotchoc habs R/H, Congo Trinidad L.

Part of this past season, serrano, jal, Anaheim, pasilla and black toms.

Testing 4 diferent ancho verities.

rice555

I live in Surin which is not to far from you, how much do you charge for a kilo of Naga's as I make & sell Indian food, I usually have to rely on great friends & customers to bring me over ''MR Naga Chilli Pickle'

'

prod_huge_203.jpg

but if I could acquire the nagas at a good price I could make my own, I would love to come & see your set up next time I am in Korat.

Cheers

IsaanRick

As I understand it, the naga chilli was developed in Dorset, England....so hardly similar growing conditions to Isaan..... but who knows, stranger things have happened! I've never had much success taking UK seeds to Thailand and vice versa, but better success has come from bringing seeds from Mediterranean or semi-tropical countries to either place. At the moment am experimenting with green tomatoes and a type of dwarf bean from Mexico, neither of which are doing that well thus far - the toms are already flowering at about 10 inches height plants! sad.png

• Like 1

Mrs was growing scorpions there last year - apparently they are a little hot for the locals.

They have a very noticable taste/flavour.

If you do overdo it, they can be slightly hallucinogenic. This is not hearsay, it is first-hand experience.

• Like 1

Hello All, Isaan Ric, I don't grow nagas or any chili for sale, the naga pics were in

2008, thats when they were #1, but hotter is not always better.

If you look at my posts not logged in to TV, you can see the date when my pics

were taken.

In March I cut all my ancho, anaheim and jals down and started to recycle the coir

for the next go-round, the white bags in the second pic is the next crop of toms and the black bags, ancho and anaheim. On the R/H side of the pic is some holdover serranos, but most are zapped now.

Third pic is April and a lot of wet weather and 104F's days, Forth pic mid April pulled all new chili plant and wired up the Ind. toms.

Pic 5, May, stills the wet and 104'F's days. Toms are taking a beating too.

For year round growing of hab's and naga's and the like you some covering

like in the 6Th. pic or a net house.

The last pic is the king of heat, the #1 hottest chili, the Guiness Book first place.

He sales sauces and CR seed. Maybe in 4 months, I'' have something to show

you, but I don't go over 200K anymore.

rice555

post-37242-0-85848600-1400596822_thumb.j

post-37242-0-48057300-1400596864_thumb.j

post-37242-0-86878600-1400596889_thumb.j

post-37242-0-74126600-1400596924_thumb.j

post-37242-0-83003900-1400596951_thumb.j

post-37242-0-26805600-1400597017_thumb.j

post-37242-0-87680200-1400597044_thumb.j