Gap year tragedy as British teenager dies after falling from a train in Thailand

Lite Beer

Gap year tragedy as teenager dies after falling from a train in Thailand while trying to have a sneaky cigarette

BANGKOK: -- A teenager has died during his gap year trip in Thailand after falling from a train while he tried to have a sneaky cigarette.

Matt Lawlor, 19, described by his father as a 'rising star', is thought to have been standing in the area between two carriages when he fell from the moving train.

The teenager, from Bengeo, Hertfordshire, was travelling with friends from Bangkok to Koh Phangan but had stepped outside to smoke because it was banned inside the carriage.

His body was found lying in bushes next to the tracks, the day after the incident took place, on May 8.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2631131/Gap-year-tragedy-teenager-dies-falling-train-Thailand-trying-sneaky-cigarette.html

--Mail Online 2014-05-17

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TH is dangerous for Western youths. They have not enough life-experiences to protect them-self properly. This was proofed many-times for me in TH news.

RIP young guy, my SC to his sad family.

How do the Thais know he fell rather he was pushed.

Are you trolling or have you never stood up on a moving train? Another thread last week about a guy that fell from a train in Isaan had the same tommyrot speculation.

Unless you've stood outside the carriage for a smoke you'll never understand how much these trains suddenly lurch from one side to another.

RIP young man as you were less fortunate than I was when having a quick puff in the same manner as you.

How do the Thais know he fell rather he was pushed.

Are you trolling or have you never stood up on a moving train? Another thread last week about a guy that fell from a train in Isaan had the same tommyrot speculation.

Unless you've stood outside the carriage for a smoke you'll never understand how much these trains suddenly lurch from one side to another.

RIP young man as you were less fortunate than I was when having a quick puff in the same manner as you.

I'm a smoker, but I have patience in places which state no smoking.

I have many a time taken a train from BKK to Ubon Ratchatani and not smoked, but preferred to have slept.

Accidents happen, as well as unknown circumstances in Thailand, as you well know. Better to adhere to the rules, than take a risk.....

Yes easy to happen, esp. with a bit of booze mixed in, which seems to be a mainstay on these trains full of travelers headed south. The trains fly and the track is not maintained to a high standard so the lurching makes a wild ride. U can stand by the open door in between the cars, and all it takes is taking ur hands off the handles at the wrong second ~ yes if you've ridden this train it is easy to see how this happened, just bad luck. RIP

• Like 1

how did he fall when the trains have covers between the coaches.on every train they use them.sad for the family,but I wonder how he fell

Only the air conditioned trains do. The standard trains are open and it is very common for people to sit or stand out there and have a smoke or just sit out there and take in the views... very free and calming feeling. My guess would be he stuck part of his body out to take in the views and a branch or something knocked or pulled him out. Trees, bushes and structures are often only an inch or two away from the trains.

Edit: Actually at least some of the air con ones may even have space to smoke between but much smaller and not many people do it.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

What is the need to find ridiculous blame such as blaming the tragedy on smoking or somebody pushing him or train tracks or the trains themselves? It was simply an accident and this kid chose to ignore the sign or common safety sense, as many people do, about being careful and not standing between trains. He could have been out there for a breath of air or a view, it didn't need to be a smoke. Some times, be it here or anywhere, you pay consequences for your actions and other times you can pay dearly even if you are minding the rules and/or putting safety first. For the family and loves ones this is a terribly sad and tragic loss but for others in reality, it is simply just another of the MANY daily incidents, of a young life lost too soon.

I love sitting between the trains when I ride them here and completely relate to this kids spirit. Sounds like he liked to live life to its fullest and sad it got cut short too soon but bet his days on this earth were lived well and he enjoyed his life.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Deleted several off topic, insensitive , silly posts. Please remember family members could be reading this.

Further posts of this nature will be deleted with no notice & suspensions issued.

• Like 1

RIP young guy............

Am sure when most of us were a teen we look back and wonder "how the fugg am I still here". I do now, and sure many of you do. We did what we wanted, many didn't make it, but we did what we wanted, risk or not.......

yes, very true. this kid was one of the unfortunate ones where lady luck has deserted him.

he was probably standing a little to close to the edge of the gap and the train suddenly jolted .he lost his footing and instead of falling in he fell out.,,,,,very easy to happen.

Sad news, but travelled this route by train many times and had a cigarette in the open door ways or just sat and watched the world go by, very easy to see how this can happen .

• Like 2