Flying in without an Outbound Ticket

Going to be in Singapore for about 4 days and flying back into Thailand via Air Asia. No current visa and just flew back into Thailand less than a month ago after being away for several months.

It has never been an issue before flying regionally but anyone hear anything or have any experience with them (airline/immigration) now checking to verify a return/outward bound ticket?

I kind of have a ticket since I canceled my original return flight but just haven't confirmed a new return date yet so it wouldn't meet 30-days requirement. Just trying to figure out if I should buy or confirm something now or if the odds are low I will be asked ... prefer not to be in a position to try to have to book something at the last minute when I am trying to board or enter.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I have seen no reports of immigration wanting to see a ticket.

The airline can always ask. If they do you try showing them the ticket you do have and show that the flight has been canceled which makes it open onward flight.

If they insist you could buy a cheap one way ticket to a nearby country..

• Like 1

Never heard of or had experience of this myself. Sometimes on arrival in Bangkok I can't remember the flight number of my flight out. I often either leave the box blank or make something up if I am tired. About 6 months ago I arrived in BKK on a single ticket from China, no ticket out of the country. I have never once been asked for evidence of my return ticket. There's a first time for everything though.

• Like 1

Never heard of or had experience of this myself. Sometimes on arrival in Bangkok I can't remember the flight number of my flight out. I often either leave the box blank or make something up if I am tired. About 6 months ago I arrived in BKK on a single ticket from China, no ticket out of the country. I have never once been asked for evidence of my return ticket. There's a first time for everything though.

Agree 100% - I always leave the box for the outward flight blank for no other reason than I'm too lazy!

I have been asked by the airlines why I don't have a return ticket. I show them my visa with extension to stay and no problems. But that is with the major airlines. Air Asia is to busy trying to figure a way to charge you extra than to worry about a return ticket.

• Like 1

I have been asked by the airlines why I don't have a return ticket. I show them my visa with extension to stay and no problems. But that is with the major airlines. Air Asia is to busy trying to figure a way to charge you extra than to worry about a return ticket.

I flew on AIrAsia from Surabaya, Indonesia to Bangkok non-stop on a one-way ticket with a U.S. passport. The Air Asia check-in agent did request either a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days or a visa.

Edited by KED

I was asked by Delta Air from Tokyo a few years ago and my friend was asked by immigration at Don Muang a few weeks ago for proof of a return flight. Both on Australian passports.

In an emergency (ie airline refuses to let you board),

cheapest online outward flight I could find was airasia.com Krabi- KUL booked >1 month in advance, ~ US$30 oneway . AA

rolleyes.gif The requirement for an onward ticket is for those who arrive without a visa only. It is in the IATA (International Air Traffic Association) rules all IATA members are supposed to conform to.

This is not something that the Thai immigration usually enforces.

The reason for the requirement is that if, for some reason you are refused entry by Thai immigration on your arrival then the AIRLINE is responsible for removing you from Thailand to another destination.

Some budget airlines like Air Asia may not be IATA members, or simply may not bother to follow the IATA rules.

Many large international carriers do.

Often the enforcement of the rule is biased, those who look like young "backpackers" to the airline staff will often be selected out for questioning about an "outward ticket" from Thailand.

Or when international flights are very full. and there are waiting standby customers wanting to fly the airlines may ask for "outward tickets" to remove some passengers.

It is a matter of there selection and their choice.

But this is NOT applicable to those with valid Thai visas, it is for those who are attempting a visa free 30 day entry into Thailand.

And it is the airline that may chose to ask for that outward bound ticket, not the Thai immigration.

I flew on AIrAsia from Surabaya, Indonesia to Bangkok non-stop on a one-way ticket with a U.S. passport. The Air Asia check-in agent did request either a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days or a visa.

Thanks - when was this?

rolleyes.gif The requirement for an onward ticket is for those who arrive without a visa only. It is in the IATA (International Air Traffic Association) rules all IATA members are supposed to conform to.

This is not something that the Thai immigration usually enforces.

The reason for the requirement is that if, for some reason you are refused entry by Thai immigration on your arrival then the AIRLINE is responsible for removing you from Thailand to another destination.

Some budget airlines like Air Asia may not be IATA members, or simply may not bother to follow the IATA rules.

Many large international carriers do.

Often the enforcement of the rule is biased, those who look like young "backpackers" to the airline staff will often be selected out for questioning about an "outward ticket" from Thailand.

Or when international flights are very full. and there are waiting standby customers wanting to fly the airlines may ask for "outward tickets" to remove some passengers.

It is a matter of there selection and their choice.

But this is NOT applicable to those with valid Thai visas, it is for those who are attempting a visa free 30 day entry into Thailand.

And it is the airline that may chose to ask for that outward bound ticket, not the Thai immigration.

The IATA does not set the rules for entry to any country. They maintain a data base for the entry requirements for all countries based upon info provided to them by those countries.

The airlines do not randomly enforce the entry requirements for a country they apply it to everybody.

The airline can fined by the country where a person arrives at if the airline has allowed them to board a flight and they do not meet the requirements for entry. They will also have to pay for the return flight for that person.

• Like 1

It's slightly nuts though isn't it. They let you fly with an onward ticket to a neighbouring country. Then, say you are refused entry, they have to fly you out the country, but the ticket you have isn't leaving for a month yet, and is for a country for which you don't have either a visa or onward ticket for and so they couldn't actually make you use it. They'd have to fly you home.

Weird.

Lufthansa, Qatar have asked me about having a visa with a one way ticket on Manchester - Bangkok. Air Asia have asked me for visa on a one way Macau - Bangkok. I think I had to sign something to get on that flight. I have been asked many times departing Hong Kong back to bangkok on the return part of the ticket. Most of the time they don't ask but if you don't meet the entry requirements who can you blame? Only yourself.

Thanks - when was this?

April 20, 2014

• Like 1

Thanks - when was this?

April 20, 2014

If you don't meet the requirements for a confirmed outbound ticket any airline (IATA or not) can refuse to board you and Thai immigration can refuse to issue a visa on arrival - then the airline has to fly you back. Now there are many who have not been asked to show the outbound ticket by the airline or immigration - but those are the rules and CAN be applied. Considering the recent enforcement of the rules regarding out-in visa runs this could be the next crackdown. Take a chance at your own risk.

Airlines often overbook their flights, as experience shows a number of passengers does not show up. If a flight is overbooked and more passengers show up than expected, they have to deny some people boarding and compensate them. So the first people they will refuse boarding are the people who do not meet the official requirements to enter Thailand and with that the small print attached to the ticket. These passengers they simply do not have to compensate and are cheap to deny boarding.

I had this problem when leaving the USA after working in the Gulf of Mexico. They wanted to see an onward ticket out of Thailand and a valid visa for Thailand. I have the visa but no onward ticket as my company issues our flights 2 to 3 weeks before returning to work. After explaining this several times for 10 or so minutes she agreed to let me on the flight. When I flew back to the USA next time I went and asked at the airline if I would be getting the same grief when I leave. They explained to me that if Thailand refuses entry the airline is liable for a $10,000 fine and the cost of flying the person back to the USA (even if you are not American) Im British so that would of been a bit of a pain. They said that its at the discretion of the supervisor at check in and totally up to them. To save any crap on the way home I got my wife to go to a travel agency in Pattaya and make a reservation from Thailand to the UK. That cost 400 baht but saved me some BS on the way home.

Thanks - when was this?

April 20, 2014

Thanks, I was hoping for input from after the news of the crack down but seems other posters are saying business as usual with Air Asia and airport immigration

Just for clarification, is is absolutely necessary to have a return ticket, no matter the visa, no matter the kind of visa and no matter the length of stay?

I'm coming in from Hong Kong with a 60 day visa, then will be hired by a school for work......later to get a Work permit for teaching EFL with a one year contract.

Just for clarification, is is absolutely necessary to have a return ticket, no matter the visa, no matter the kind of visa and no matter the length of stay?

I'm coming in from Hong Kong with a 60 day visa, then will be hired by a school for work......later to get a Work permit for teaching EFL with a one year contract.

You only need a ticket out of the country if you do not have a visa. I you have a valid visa of any type you do not need a return or onward ticket.

The only time I was ever questioned by the airlines was this trip. In the 4 months prior to my present trip to Th, I had been to Th 3 times ( visa upon entry ) and DID NOT have a return ticket. This ticket return date was December, I WAS questioned by the folks at my point of departure ( small airport in USA ) and was told, "Th has a 30 day visa at entry ( information on their computer )" and I had to change my return date. ( I think the reason for them actually to check my ticket was they had to reroute me.)

==Needless to say I told them my "visa" was good for 12 months, I also had a "multiple entry permit", so a return ticket was not required as I would be visiting other countries at my leisure, and, might return to the US from another country. ( SHOW and TELL )==

Then, the problem of HOW to reroute me. After 15 or so minutes, I ended up telling them they could reroute me thru Hong Kong. Beijing or Japan with no problems - got a "how do you know this" look. I had to tell them about "transit visas" and showed ( stamps in passport ) I had been in all 3 countries in the past 100 days.

Interesting how "things" are processed.

I had this problem when leaving the USA after working in the Gulf of Mexico. They wanted to see an onward ticket out of Thailand and a valid visa for Thailand. I have the visa but no onward ticket as my company issues our flights 2 to 3 weeks before returning to work. After explaining this several times for 10 or so minutes she agreed to let me on the flight. When I flew back to the USA next time I went and asked at the airline if I would be getting the same grief when I leave. They explained to me that if Thailand refuses entry the airline is liable for a $10,000 fine and the cost of flying the person back to the USA (even if you are not American) Im British so that would of been a bit of a pain. They said that its at the discretion of the supervisor at check in and totally up to them. To save any crap on the way home I got my wife to go to a travel agency in Pattaya and make a reservation from Thailand to the UK. That cost 400 baht but saved me some BS on the way home.

Next time point out to them that the onward ticket requirement is only applicable for people arriving visa exempt. For people arriving with visa or extension there is no onward ticket requirement.

Next time point out to them that the onward ticket requirement is only applicable for people arriving visa exempt. For people arriving with visa or extension there is no onward ticket requirement.

Its not worth the hassle to argue with them. Check in staff don't know every immigration rules for every country, and they definitely don't know Thailand. After 6 weeks on a boat off Mexico I just want to get home, so if it i have to buy a 400 baht reservation so be it. I will try it though next time and then pull out the reservation if they are going to stop me boarding. :-)

Its not worth the hassle to argue with them. Check in staff don't know every immigration rules for every country, and they definitely don't know Thailand. After 6 weeks on a boat off Mexico I just want to get home, so if it i have to buy a 400 baht reservation so be it. I will try it though next time and then pull out the reservation if they are going to stop me boarding. :-)

They have a computer in front of them with the rules from IATA.

You only need a ticket out of the country if you do not have a visa. I you have a valid visa of any type you do not need a return or onward ticket.
As always ubonjoe is spot on....

Officially:

30 day visa exempt entry.... return or outound ticket within the 30 days required (the airline may request before allowing boarding, you may not get asked but its a risk as you do need one)

Any valid visa, Tourist, ED, non O, etc.... no outbound ticket required.

Last year I had a tourist via and was asked for an outbound ticket.... I asked the check in lady to check the boarding requirements (all boarding requirements, for all countries are a mouse click away on their screens), 1 minute later, apology, checked in and on my way.... if I'd been coming in on a visa exempt I think it would have been very different.

Edited by mxer90
  • Like 1