Flying in without an Outbound Ticket

I had this problem when leaving the USA after working in the Gulf of Mexico. They wanted to see an onward ticket out of Thailand and a valid visa for Thailand. I have the visa but no onward ticket as my company issues our flights 2 to 3 weeks before returning to work. After explaining this several times for 10 or so minutes she agreed to let me on the flight. When I flew back to the USA next time I went and asked at the airline if I would be getting the same grief when I leave. They explained to me that if Thailand refuses entry the airline is liable for a $10,000 fine and the cost of flying the person back to the USA (even if you are not American) Im British so that would of been a bit of a pain. They said that its at the discretion of the supervisor at check in and totally up to them. To save any crap on the way home I got my wife to go to a travel agency in Pattaya and make a reservation from Thailand to the UK. That cost 400 baht but saved me some BS on the way home.

Next time point out to them that the onward ticket requirement is only applicable for people arriving visa exempt. For people arriving with visa or extension there is no onward ticket requirement.
Its not worth the hassle to argue with them. Check in staff don't know every immigration rules for every country, and they definitely don't know Thailand. After 6 weeks on a boat off Mexico I just want to get home, so if it i have to buy a 400 baht reservation so be it. I will try it though next time and then pull out the reservation if they are going to stop me boarding. :-)

They have a computer in front of them with the rules from IATA.

Yeah I know, they showed me it. However there was pages and pages and by the time it would of all been read I would of missed my flight for sure.

• Like 1

I flew into BKK last week on Delta Airlines. I had obtained a single entry tourist visa prior to leaving the US and noticed that when I printed out my boarding pass the day before the flight there was a statement at the top of each segment of the trip that specified "International visa required". When I checked into the flight at the PHL airport the agent noticed the return flight was more than 30 days after departure and required that I show her the visa and explain to her why it was OK for me to spend 60 days in Thailand. Previously, I have flown into Thailand many times on Korean Airlines and never been asked to show a visa in my passport or why it was OK for me to spend several months in Thailand before the return leg of the trip.

I think there is a lot of variation in what different airlines require for validation of long stays although that may change soon with the new O-I visa restrictions by Thai Immigration.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Is their any updates regarding onward ticket requirements?

I awoke last night in total panic - I am British married to a Thai, i have been living & working in Haiti for over 4 years now. I have returned to Bkk several times for short holidays during this period on tourist visa. I recently found my contract is not renewed nere so I booked Haiti - JFK on Jet Blue next Saturday and then Emirates one way to Bkk via Dubai Sunday 2nd August. I intend to get the 1 year marriage visa in Bkk. However now i am worried if Emirates will refuse me to board at JFK or will Thai Immigration refuse me entry if i do arrive there.

There is no Thai consulate here in Haiti.

Thank you for any advice,

Best Regards,

James.

Edited by james.d

Onward ticket requirements are required by some airlines. I was asked for this when leaving the USA...on Delta, because I had a one way. You can show them proof you live here long term...which works....or buy a cheap onward ticket on credit, and then cancel right after you show it to them. In the Philippines, I was asked for onward ticket when I arrived...by their immigration. Also...flying out of Philippines to Thailand, on Cebu Pacific...they asked for proof of onward travel.. I told them I had a ticket waiting at a travel agency..and gave them the address and phone number.

Yes...several "well seasoned" travellers will tell you it "never happened to them"....but it has to me. You will not be asked by immigration in thailand...for onward travel....but when you check in your baggage at your departure country (at your specific airline check in counter)..they may, or may not want one. Prepare something...anything...or do a song and dance....whatever. I cannot even recall exactly how many international flights I have been on in the last forty years....more than I can count.

And as some previous posters said...it would be more likely that you will be asked, if you fly in visa exempt.

Edited by slipperylobster

Thank you Sir for taking the time to reply and your advice. I dont have proof with me of living there as my old passport with visas was stolen while here (which was a nightmare). I have a marriage certificate but its in Thai. I will book a flight to Singapore then cancel when home in Bkk.

Many thanks again,

James.

• Like 1

I have flown many times to Thailand, from all over the world, without a visa or onward ticket. I have never been refused boarding, but have sometimes needed to sign a form where I promise to indemnify the airline for any costs they incur should I be refused entry. It is my impression that airlines are becoming more strict about the requirement. If it comes down to signing an indemnity form, the supervisor probably does an on-the-spot assessment of whether you are wealthy enough for the airline to accept your assurances.

Those of a nervous disposition traveling without a visa are best advised to have an onward ticket.