Thai Immigration: Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

Just occurred to me the targeted nationalities all have bilateral visa exemption agreements. Could well be Thais got pissed off due to a lot of them being turned around trying to enter the countries in question (for obvious reasons, ie. suspicion of working illegally) and are retaliating.

That is part of the problem, in part it's retaliation against South Korea who have deported over 9,000 Thai's for working illegally whilst Thailand has deported something like five South Koreans during the same period. I have no link to support that but I did read about it a few days ago so easily searched etc..

Close. It was 8000 Thais deported from Sth Korea and 20 Sth Koreans deported from Thailand according to the Bangkok Post article.

That's a ratio of 400 Thai's deported for every South Korean deported from Thailand.

Whoever does the paperwork for all these must be really annoyed.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has any information about how tough the immigration officials at Mae Sai are being on people with passports from the non-target countries seeking visa exemptions, it would be highly appreciated! (I'm not a tourist, but not working yet either, I'm between visas). Thanks in advance!

2 days ago the 20th.. From another forum.

Just got back from doing a 30 day land crossing visa in Mai Sai (3rd crossing). Almost got turned away at the exit gate leaving thailand and entering myanmar. seems like there might be more leniency for the next month or so if you arrived with actual hotel guest paperwork, return plane ticket home showing a date that dose not exceed that 30 day period and 10,000 baht cash in hand (thats what the boarder officer was asking of us). after a phone call to my wife verifying my reason for being here and some other work related things, he reluctantly let us cross. while at the exit counter 2 other tourist walked up behind us in line to do the same thing and the officer told them to please step away from the counter so they would not see him process our passports. To no surprise the other 2 people behind us did not make it through and were turned back. the officer was without a doubt the main guy in charge and was trying to set an example for the other employees at the office. total time at the counter was about 30 minutes. all other tourist with proper single or multiple entry visa's were aloud to cross without any hassle.

He was allowed a out and in but only after extensive hassle, phoning his wife, and generally working it and being lucky.. Other non prepared people turned away.

Yes, I do believe that Immigration cares about getting it right, no sympathies for the illegals who have exploited the loopholes and tried to play the system, they just make life more difficult for the rest of us..

1) I've never worked in Thailand, ever, but have entered Thailand many times - being outside of Asia entirely (to work in Europe) at least 4-7 months out of each year. But was given an extremely hard time entering on May 8 thru Sawanabhumi, after being in Europe for 7 months. Explain to me how I had 'played the system' or 'exploited loop holes' after being away for 7 months.

2) Explain to me how I have made your life more difficult.

By stealing his thunder.

Why else is that geezer up in arms??

tongue.png

I'm going to sign up to the 'Elite Easy Access' program and get a 5 year multiple entry visa so that will take care of me for the next 5 years, no worries, no problems.

No more unwanted trips to Europe and no more 90 day visa runs.

Each entry gives you 1 year and you can come and go as you please. At the end of each year you can extend it for another year by going to immigration and paying the usual 1,900 Baht extension fee.

I'll leave the uncertainty to others.

Has any immigration official actually stated that the purpose of elite visa is to allow foreigners to live in the country (unlike visa-exempt stamps and tourist visas)? I believe the intention of the program is to fast-track highrolling holidaymakers (hence monthly limos, spa and golf perks), not sell long-term residence permits.

Certainly it's being advertised by the people selling it as a way to stay in the country long-term, but so were visa-run services too.

• Like 1

I am just back from Phnom Penh -via Poipet- with a fresh tourist visa.

At the border, earlier this morning, a German guy just received seven days.

According to the lady in charge, if I did not have that TV I would have had the same treatment because too many stamps in my passport.