Blending fruits/veggies while visiting as a tourist in thailand.

ultimate weapon

Been doing the blending thing for a while now. I'm thinking how am i going to continue doing it when i visit thailand for a holiday. I'm not going to pack my blender in my suitcase obviously. So it's either i stop doing it or just eat a few fruits like apples etc or perhaps some of the service apartment/hotels would have a blender. Could i request for one?

I blend a whole variety of fruit and veggies like carrots, brocoli, lettuace, apples so i'm not going to eat those raw. Help me out here guys if not i'll just stick to orange/apples.

You can get a cheap blender for 600-700 thb in places like Tesco Lotus. Then before you go home just sell it to any old market vendor if you don't want to take it home.

The kitchens of hotels might let you use one, they might look at you a bit strange.

Not sure where you're going but if anywhere remotely urban there's likely to be a smoothie stall in every food court anyway, 25-50 baht per smoothie.

you can buy one tesco 2100bht

Well do they have one small enough to fit into a luggage bag or something? It kind of sucks that you don't want to bring your own over cos of the space it takes up then buy one over there and just leave it like that when you go back.

My mum used to make papaya and pineapple jam. Based on that, I would suggest it makes a good combination.

Since you are into such disgusting things as blended broccoli (it may be healthy, but yecht to broccoli juice), you might try carrot, pineapple, celery, ginger, orange, and radish. (all that minus the radish is very nice).

• Like 1

You can get a cheap blender for 600-700 thb in places like Tesco Lotus. Then before you go home just sell it to any old market vendor if you don't want to take it home.

The kitchens of hotels might let you use one, they might look at you a bit strange.

Not sure where you're going but if anywhere remotely urban there's likely to be a smoothie stall in every food court anyway, 25-50 baht per smoothie.

I wonder how much the old market venders might buy it for but wow 600-700 that's like around 25-28 bucks in my home currency it's actually quite worth it come to think of it. That's quite a good suggestion provided it actually is that cheap i'm thinking it's going to be 1500 bht upwards.

Smoothie stalls no way. They'll sell all the sweet type of fruits like mangoes, strawberries and no veggies. It's not actually about the taste it's more for health and usually these types of stalls put in the sweetest fruits in there that aren't the healthiest.

My mum used to make papaya and pineapple jam. Based on that, I would suggest it makes a good combination.

Since you are into such disgusting things as blended broccoli (it may be healthy, but yecht to broccoli juice), you might try carrot, pineapple, celery, ginger, orange, and radish. (all that minus the radish is very nice).

Raw chicken fillets could really make this a classic .

You don't call some sugar water with sweet milk, a small piece of fruit or vegetable, ice and some more sugar a smoothie, do you?

Edited by JesseFrank

When i bought an airconditioner in Bestbuy i got a Mamaru blender from 300 baht for free. I expected it to be a crappy machine but wonderwell it works many years now without any problems.

So buy one of those and you can blend whatever you like, also icecubes.

We got a small blender from Tesco which would easily fit in a carry-on, not sure how it would cope with carrots mind.

To our OP, what's the difference between mashed up uncooked veggies and raw ones? (you say you don't want to eat raw)

EDIT Interesting thread David, I now understand the idea of juicing is to be able to cram more veggies down your throat in less time, I like to munch on the odd carrot myself.

• Like 1

Blending fruit and vegetables making smoothies and such risks destroying the fibre, which "protect" the liver from the bad effects of fructose.

Some claim that the content then becomes not dissimilar from coca cola, from a sugar point of view.

Far better to eat the stuff as nature intended it to be eaten! :-)

I bought a blender for something like 300 Baht (this style which you would use to make milk shakes, with up a glass and down the blades).

You could buy one and than just give it the cleaning woman of the hotel as gift....

Just a lot of the veggies and fruits are full of pesticides....there is a lot discussion if healthy food, might be unhealthy in Thailand, because there are no checks on the chemicals.

But bigger supermarkets have organic fruits and vegetables. If they aren't cheating it would be better

Blending fruit and vegetables making smoothies and such risks destroying the fibre, which "protect" the liver from the bad effects of fructose.

Some claim that the content then becomes not dissimilar from coca cola, from a sugar point of view.

So when you chew the food it all gets broken down right? So you need to swallow them whole?

you need a strong blender to crack the chemical bounds in the fiber biggrin.png

and how would fibre protect the liver from fructose?

Simple test....if the veggies taste after blending sweet like coke that the fibres are broken down to monosaccharides

If it still tastes like veggies than it is not broken down.

• Like 1

So when you chew the food it all gets broken down right? So you need to swallow them whole?

I think it is the point of chewing to get it broken down.....

I think it is the point of chewing to get it broken down.....

yeah that's right so a blender helps to break down the fruits so you don't need to chew yet that guy was going on about bro science like the liver and the frutose etc OMG so i asked him if that's the case won't it happen if you chew the fruit so wouldn't swallowing the food be better?

Mix in some chilli[prik] and add some chang beer,if that don't get you on the toilet for an hour in the morning i doubt anything will.

You forgot the coconut cream

Took your advice ,still a bit murky at the bottom,so i fished around,did not realise power was off, then came back on as i was fiddling,now missing two fingers,great smoothie though apart from the fingernails,blood certainly added some colour to it.

Buy a Nutribullet an take it with you.. Bearing in mind that some countries have strict rules on fruit importation and might confiscate it on your return..

i will be buying the fruits in thailand.

Yes, but you wouldn't want to leave the blender behind.

Well, here is some research at least:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10238549/Is-fruit-juice-bad-for-your-health.html

It's quite possible that the dangers pointed out by Dr Lustig may perhaps be exaggerated.

Of course it's up to each of us to consume fruits and veggies any way we like them. :-)

The article is about juice. The OP is talking about making smoothies. Like any new dietary phase, there is always someone who wants to sell a book hostile to it.

you can buy one tesco 2100bht

Well do they have one small enough to fit into a luggage bag or something? It kind of sucks that you don't want to bring your own over cos of the space it takes up then buy one over there and just leave it like that when you go back.

< the space it takes up >

??????? You can put things into the jug part and the base is usually pretty small. Unless it's also heavy, that's not a valid reason to not bring yours. Just need an plug adaptor assuming it's 220- 240 v.

As said, you can buy really cheap ones here, Big C and Makro have them. Just leave in room when you go. The cleaner will be happy.

i love smoothies that I make here with my Sharp EM-ICE blender I got from Powerbuy I think it was for 890b over a year ago - but I am sure a non brand name one would last a while, but maybe not the way that I make smoothies.

I like to freeze all the fruit and then add 0% fat milk and blend, you can make it like McDonalds style milk shakes, but no added sugar (I know there is a lot of sugar already fruit).

Best fruit to use...

Bananas - got 13 for 15b last night and now frozen and ready to blend.

Mangos - think these must be in season now as I see a lot for sale - I just peel, squash all the flesh off with my hands into a bag and freeze

Strawberries - I get these from Makro already frozen - not had any in a while as Bananas are so cheap, and strawberries from Makro are not that sweet, but OK mixed with banana and/or mango.

Anyone suggest any other fruit which will freeze well, cheap and work well? I love pineapple but its not that good in a smoothie, too many fibres. Adding some cooked oatmeal is also nice (not raw oatmeal) and would be a good alternative for having oats for breakfast.

The milk is expensive though, 90b for 2 litres I think it must be - I might try coconut water, but thats expensive as well, 10b for a small bag, but I guess more healthy than milk.