Practical implications of Martial Law on Foreigners Daily Activities

impulse

Stock up on flowers for all the selfies you'll be taking posing next to the troops while you push a flower in their gun smile.png

I heard it named many things ... 'play hide the sausage' comes to mind.

But never have it heard it called ... 'push a flower in their gun'.

You learn something new here on Thai Visa each and every day ... laugh.png

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

So tacky, and so unintelligent, so many posters here. Just sit there referencing your body parts all day, in any situation. That shows how far your perception has ever extended before. You can't even imagine thinking about something else, can you.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from a 150km round trip to Udon Thani, Mrs Vail and I needed to do some shopping. We went through 9 police checkpoints and never got stopped. It was the usual thing, one checkpoint did all bikes, another did all heavy trucks, another for lapsed registrations. By the time we headed home, they had all disappeared. I asked the shop clerks at several stores what the martial law meant to them...mai bpen rai, just another day at work. Everyone today seemed more relaxed and helpful than usual. Go figure.

edit for spelling

Edited by noahvail
  • Like 1

The last time the only thing the Army did was restrict Vehicles going North /South after 8.0 P.M..They let me go, and all valid road users, with great politeness , but stopped Red Shirts Trucks..and anything unusual. Seems this topic has turned into a Lefty Ferang Bile Letting.

If you see any soldiers, don't worry about the cannon fodder : keep your eye on the older experienced looking guys at the edges. They will be the ones who actually have ammunition in their rifles.

The main result of this is that we can expect fewer random M79 and drive-by attacks : those cowards will crawl back into their holes if they think someone might shoot back.

Apart from that it will be business as usual : I will feel safer in Bangkok than I did when the BIB were taking care of me.

• Like 1

Stock up on flowers for all the selfies you'll be taking posing next to the troops while you push a flower in their gun smile.png

I heard it named many things ... 'play hide the sausage' comes to mind.

But never have it heard it called ... 'push a flower in their gun'.

You learn something new here on Thai Visa each and every day ... laugh.png

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

So tacky, and so unintelligent, so many posters here. Just sit there referencing your body parts all day, in any situation. That shows how far your perception has ever extended before. You can't even imagine thinking about something else, can you.

Stick around the fart jokes will start soon.

• Like 1

Bum guns have been banned...apparently.

Damn! The Bum Gun? ... I just bought a new high powered model, German made. Do ya think they will be going door to door searching for them?

biggrin.png Lumpini park will still be a party with beer, broads, bands and now....bullets. wai2.gif Rock on! bah.gif Oh, and those pesky travel arrangements that you worry about.....remember the phrase 'force majeur' to get out of them successfully

No curfews (yet).

Keep away from the hot spots, if your car is damaged in a clash/military action: no compensation.

You live in Bangkok?

Today some intersections are blocked/heavy jams.

Some BTS stations jam packed.

Today I would avoid unnecessary travel.

I was out and around in central BKK this afternoon.

Didn't notice anything different/unusual on the BTS Sukhumvit and Silom lines or their stations when I rode them mid-afternoon.

Likewise, stopped by Makro to do some shopping and the store was pretty quiet... as you'd normally expect on a weekday mid-afternoon. No one was there rushing to hoard supplies.

By and large, people seemed to be going about their normal business in a normal way.

My Thai work mates are not even talking about it at the office today. It is a non issue for them. It is more an issue for foreigners like myself who have never had a situation in our home country such as this.

Yes but do they even know?

I work alongside 8 thai teachers in a teachers room at our school.....all competent and able to speak and understand english

This morning 10am I asked them as a group what did they think about the military coup/ imposing of martial law etc.

Answer.......What military coup/martial law?

Conversation then drifted along...and the Yingluck name came up......5 of them weren't aware she was no longer the PM

No BS...this is exactly how the conversation went along.

I think the "average Thai person"......is probably so overloaded with what has been going on over the past 6 months politically that they have simply switched off.

• Like 1

No curfews (yet).

Keep away from the hot spots, if your car is damaged in a clash/military action: no compensation.

You live in Bangkok?

Today some intersections are blocked/heavy jams.

Some BTS stations jam packed.

Today I would avoid unnecessary travel.

Outside of Bangkok: no problems reported yet.

Here the villagers did not even notice in the morning.

TV is on in the evening only biggrin.png

In my opinion no need to panic (yet).

It all depends whether the rival groups will keep their mind.

If the reds would march to Bangkok? I'd better be off.

I don't think you will see any civil war unless one of the two sides outnumber the other by about six to one, and even if that happened, it wouldn't last long.

Some pretty good tips here. I would just like to add some context about grave threats. I, like a bunch of folks on TV, have been in some really bad places over the past ten years. Wanna know what I [we] generally perceive as a very grave threat? Large groups of protestors! That's right; protestors are a greater threat then people holed up with weapons!

You cannot predict what a large group will do. You cannot shoot at them (assuming that was an issue), you cannot beat them up, run them over, or hit them with garbage can. If there are agitators in the group the dynamic can change quickly, and violently. You can not use your vehicle forcefully to get away- or save yourself; you cannot run, you cannot hide; you only get swept up, swamped, or crushed. You cannot defend yourself, or others, and if there is another group merging, it can be catastrophic for the unaware. If the group is in the middle of demonizing "other" being farang could get you in more serious trouble even if that was not the group's specific focus. Groups always demonize "other," it motivates "us-ness" and provides the glue that binds the group cohort.

Groups of any size, especially when moving, are to really be considered quite dangerous. There really are lots of statistics who were once people in the wrong place and the wrong time. I have attempted to remain as apolitical as the moderator suggested, and it was easy. Because this particular threat is not related to one polity or another. Please--- Do not sight see! Do not go witness history in the making. Do not go shoot some once in a lifetime photos. I am telling you, large angry groups can turn on a dime! Buy a whistle or flag online and watch the news!

• Like 1

Some pretty good tips here. I would just like to add some context about grave threats. I, like a bunch of folks on TV, have been in some really bad places over the past ten years. Wanna know what I [we] generally perceive as a very grave threat? Large groups of protestors! That's right; protestors are a greater threat then people holed up with weapons!

You cannot predict what a large group will do. You cannot shoot at them (assuming that was an issue), you cannot beat them up, run them over, or hit them with garbage can. If there are agitators in the group the dynamic can change quickly, and violently. You can not use your vehicle forcefully to get away- or save yourself; you cannot run, you cannot hide; you only get swept up, swamped, or crushed. You cannot defend yourself, or others, and if there is another group merging, it can be catastrophic for the unaware. If the group is in the middle of demonizing "other" being farang could get you in more serious trouble even if that was not the group's specific focus. Groups always demonize "other," it motivates "us-ness" and provides the glue that binds the group cohort.

Groups of any size, especially when moving, are to really be considered quite dangerous. There really are lots of statistics who were once people in the wrong place and the wrong time. I have attempted to remain as apolitical as the moderator suggested, and it was easy. Because this particular threat is not related to one polity or another. Please--- Do not sight see! Do not go witness history in the making. Do not go shoot some once in a lifetime photos. I am telling you, large angry groups can turn on a dime! Buy a whistle or flag online and watch the news!

So, not unlike the way the retirement crowd here operate on this forum :D

But seriously, you are totally succinct and correct about this.

The Martial Law, I think would only have significant effects on the political class who normally use the other uniformed tugs to get to high places with ease, as the presence of no-nonsense, metal helmet, heavier gun carriers and non-bribe taking uniformed men are now in control of most places. I think you are even safer now under Martial Law, if you should ask me...coffee1.gif

• Like 1