Long-Term Stay in Thailand

Hi All,

I am a 24 year old British passport holder with a triple entry tourist visa obtained from the UK.

I arrived in Thailand in mid-April with the hope of staying long term. I am living in my unmarried Thai partner’s house in Bangkok so therefore have no hotels booked, no return ticket like most tourists have. I will need to do a border run, say to Poi Pet soon to activate my second entry soon and wondered if there is a chance I will have any trouble coming back into the country on the same day.

I arrived in Thailand with enough money to comfortably support myself for just over a year and have no intention of working anytime soon. If I do, then I will apply for the appropriate visa and work permit. I don’t want to break the law.

My concerns are with this news on border run crackdowns which are impending in the not too distant future.

I have signed up for a Thai language school and am eligible for the ED visa but have told the school to hold off on processing the documents just yet as I still have time on my tourist visa. I have started the classes already and unlike some that use the schools purely for visa purposes, I genuinely want to learn.

Am not sure if it’s worth just getting the documents processed now and using that visa to continue studying Thai language now or whether it’s safe to use the TR visa. I’m not sure that if I come back into Thailand from the outside and get questioned, is it a bad idea or not to state that I am signed up for a school or not (which I can prove through receipts etc).

I’m quite the worrying type, so wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the best route forward for me to stay long-term in the wonderful Land of Smiles!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

it is your choice how you do it.

Once you have the paperwork from the school you will have to go out for the ED visa and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you will get from the visa you can apply for an extension of stay. After getting the extension you will no longer need to leave the country.

Sooner might be better than later.

I am sure that as they get closer to the deadline many people are going to try the ED visa route and that will mean that the Thais will become leary of people applying.

i would do it sooner and not use the last entry.

I think you have really confused our dear TV members- you have a civil partnership with your Thai partner? Or a change of tack and living with your unmarried girlfriend?

ED visa is the way to go.

One question at 24- unless you are seriously independently wealthy- most guys would be looking to start a career and start earning / saving for the future- you might get a bit bored here. It's a cultural wilderness in western terms.

Jack, Good post. I have friend he is UK and also lawyer Thailand. If I post his name and contact here it gets flagged. He is honest and reasonable. From what you say here, it is certain he can help. Get in touch, will provide you with contact info. Don't believe all you read. Just follow your heart and truth. Best wishes. When you can provide you contact phone will get it to him or staff.

Peter, Yes, well in the eyes of the Thai law I'm not married. I'm in a same-sex civil partnership registered in the UK. Thailand unfortunately doesn't recognise this full-stop so that option doesn't work for me.

The ED is on it's way now. I got my school to sort it this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand