filipina GF can't leave to Thailand because of martial law

They don't actually stop but they do want to talk. It was the same earlier in the year with the State of Emergency. We were booked on Thai so changed the tickets to travel onward to Phnom Penh. When we got there we changed our flight back to Bangkok and after a couple of pleasant days in Cambodia proceeded to where we wanted to be. If you are on Cebu Pacific you could change to go to Siem Reap and then fly down after checking out Anghor Wat. You could take a bus from Siem Reap but tat could be complicated from the crackdown aspect it seems.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philippines immigration comes up with whatever reason they can to not allow their citizens to travel anywhere as tourists. Once, with a sponsor letter, probably ok, more than once, she will need a visa and employment invitation. Not allowed to be a tourist here more than once any more for Filipinas. Even my Filipino brother-in-law had a lot of hassle coming back to visit us for a 2nd time (over a 12 month period) for a 4 day visit to meet with us and help us review our building plan he is managing for us in the Philippines.

Martial law just gives them yet another excuse to say "no" "you can't travel there". The Thai government also pressures local embassies to keep the non-legitimate big spending tourists to a minimum and foreign companies are told to keep outlying staff office falang workers away from visiting Bangkok since last weekend.

In your specific case, the underlying issue is the number of illegal workers from the Philippines here. My wife (on a dependent pass) knows many and they are all in a panic over visa run shut downs and now this.

The underlying issue exists because there are not enough Thai's that have absolute basic skills needed for servicing tourism and a few other related industries in certain "Reserved for Thais" and even unreserved jobs.

The answer? Don't have it. Same thing happening in every country in the world.

Sigh... this place.

We've got one guy bringing up completely irrelevant flying to a Western country for prostitution issues.

Another that doesn't get why that is completely irrelevant. (The girl isn't flying to a Western country, THAT is why it is irrelevant.)

A third that says another girl had no problem flying from Phils to Hong Kong. (So what?)

Another one thinking you can be deported from your own country of citizenship... LOL

Sigh. No wonder Thailand is tightening up the immigration rules.

Reading comprehension has never been big in the land of TVF.

Sigh... this place.

We've got one guy bringing up completely irrelevant flying to a Western country for prostitution issues.

Another that doesn't get why that is completely irrelevant. (The girl isn't flying to a Western country, THAT is why it is irrelevant.)

A third that says another girl had no problem flying from Phils to Hong Kong. (So what?)

Another one thinking you can be deported from your own country of citizenship... LOL

Sigh. No wonder Thailand is tightening up the immigration rules.

Sick in bed browsing TV with no expectations of anything besides more misery but you just made my day. Thanks for the laugh! laugh.png

Here here... Why must some people prattle on about something in no way related to the original post ??

Maybe there should be an IQ test to visit, reside.... Just a thought.

Tourists need to be aware of the very real fact that many travel insurance policies have exclusionary clauses on travel to countries with insurrection, civil unrest, and martial law. If you are young and adventurous, come on over - but a family with children? Stay home - don't put your children in danger.

Tourists need to be aware of the very real fact that many travel insurance policies have exclusionary clauses on travel to countries with insurrection, civil unrest, and martial law. If you are young and adventurous, come on over - but a family with children? Stay home - don't put your children in danger.

Has this something... anything, to do with the original post ?

From the sounds of it, if true, it is not a restriction on the Thai side but rather the Philipinnes side.

Possibly she confused "discouraged" with "forbidden"

Or - very likely IMO -- she may understand that it is only "discouraged" but herself feels afraid to travel and rather than say so directly, says her govt won't allow it.

As others have said, martial law in the Philippines is a far more dangerous thing than it usually is in Thailand.

• Like 1

From the sounds of it, if true, it is not a restriction on the Thai side but rather the Philipinnes side.

Possibly she confused "discouraged" with "forbidden"

Or - very likely IMO -- she may understand that it is only "discouraged" but herself feels afraid to travel and rather than say so directly, says her govt won't allow it.

As others have said, martial law in the Philippines is a far more dangerous thing than it usually is in Thailand.

Call the airline you are booked with and they will know if she is not allowed it could just be that her country suggest not to go like many other country's.

Philippine nationals, especially young women, need a verified reason for travel to depart at all - without this they will not be allowed to board aircraft in the best of times as immigration is tasked with protecting them from the illegal activities such travel often results in. This is nothing new and has been in place for at least 30 years. And yes it is abused at times for gain by all parities. With the current military control of Thailand would highly suspect any travel without proven valid reason will be restricted and that appears what was told this person. She would not have valid reasons for travel to a different country so a change of ticket is not likely to be effective. If travel partner is with her there might be room for an exception but even then with the current martial law conditions I doubt it.

• Like 2

If all else fails....she can make herself qualify for deportation...

That will ruin her future chances to return. She would turn herself in at the Philippine consulate for whatever reason....(Use Imagination here). Financial, overstaying, etc.

misread the op "to" thailand. not from. my post is not relevant

So far, you're just going on what gf says she heard on television, right? Before pushing the panic button, probably worthwhile trying to get some confirmation. Barring any such confirmation, you COULD just proceed to the airport & roll the dice. BUT, have a Plan B: check into and be ready with a last-minute air ticket purchase option to another country, as others are suggesting.

If PI immigration is going to prevent your gf from going ANYWHERE, then you're into territory beyond mere short-term vacation-planning... I know some filipina friends of mine were able to travel to KL on short notice with no problem, but it was a family group with return tix.

Your answer:

20 May 2014 – The Department of Foreign Affairs has raised the Alert Level for Thailand from 1 (Precautionary Phase) to 2 (Restriction Phase) in view of recent political developments in that country.

Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security, and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance in or external threat to the host country. Under Alert Level 2, Filipinos in Thailand are instructed to restrict non-essential movements, avoid public places and prepare for evacuation if necessary.

Under Alert Level 2, the Department of Labor and Employment allows only overseas Filipino workers with existing contracts (balik-manggagawa) to return to their host country.

The Philippine Embassy in Bangkok advises Filipinos residing in or traveling to Thailand to avoid the rally sites and large gatherings and to refrain from taking part in the protest or other political activities. Everyone is advised to continue exercising extreme caution and vigilance and to closely monitor developments. END

https://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/2013-06-27-21-50-36/dfa-releases/2914-dfa-raises-alert-level-2-for-thailand

Updates at Philippines Thailand Embassy fb page: https://www.facebook.com/bkkpe

• Like 1

To the op,

You got a lot off good advice on your question. Why don't you answer? Please show some respect to the members off this form who are trying to help you.

I think the mods can close this thread down, the op is not responding.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I live in both Thailand and the Philippines. My fiance is a Filipino and even though we travel back and forth a lot, we still on ocassion, have an issue with an immigration officer. I suggest you take a moment to visit the Thai Embassy at 107 Rada Street in Makati. I called my girl to go and check tomorrow and see what the deal is. If all else fails, travel from Manila - Kuala Lumpur - Thailand on Air Asia or Cebu Pacific (cheap flights). Good luck amigo.

Saw this on the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs website...

https://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/2013-06-27-21-50-36/dfa-releases/2914-dfa-raises-alert-level-2-for-thailand

20 May 2014 – The Department of Foreign Affairs has raised the Alert Level for Thailand from 1 (Precautionary Phase) to 2 (Restriction Phase) in view of recent political developments in that country.

Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security, and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance in or external threat to the host country. Under Alert Level 2, Filipinos in Thailand are instructed to restrict non-essential movements, avoid public places and prepare for evacuation if necessary.

Under Alert Level 2, the Department of Labor and Employment allows only overseas Filipino workers with existing contracts (balik-manggagawa) to return to their host country.

The Philippine Embassy in Bangkok advises Filipinos residing in or traveling to Thailand to avoid the rally sites and large gatherings and to refrain from taking part in the protest or other political activities. Everyone is advised to continue exercising extreme caution and vigilance and to closely monitor developments. END

It doesn't seem to affect travelers who are tourists...

Edited by toybits

I was thinking enter through Laos or neighboring border.

Good advice. Even if M.H. (Malaysia Airlines) is offering cheap flights just to get "backsides" on seats, I'd give the carrier a big miss at the moment and anyway, the prospect of having to travel to BKK or wherever via the "strife torn" South of Thailand wouldn't make me feel too safe.