EC says government proposes August 3 as new election date

Lite Beer

EC says government proposes August 3 as new election date

somchai-EC-2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- ECcommission Somchai Srisuthiyakorn disclosed that the caretaker government has proposed a new general election on August 3.

But he said he has told it that the government and itself are not enough to set the election date.

The caretaker government also re-confirmed that acting premier Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisarn has power to issue election decree, Mr Somchai said.

However, he said the EC has stated that under the present circumstances it needed to discuss the new election date with national security agencies since they had good understanding of the situation.

Mr Somchai added that a meeting of the EC Wednesday would have clarity on the election date.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ec-says-government-proposes-august-3-new-election-date/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ec-says-government-proposes-august-3-new-election-date

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-20

hmm... let's see where the wind blows first....very likely in the matter of 24, 48, or 72 hours, this government will not be around to haunt me for an election date anymore....

wait and see...

• Like 1

The government proposes.. the caretaker government doesn't know, and the national security government needs to be involved.

Do all these people at the top suffer from 'identity crisis', or are they really all 'so qualified' at their jobs, they know exactly where they stand with each other? facepalm.gif

The 26 appointed acting caretaker cabinet ministers who like to call themselves a government still seem to think they can push the EC around.

I see they have assured the EC that they have the authority of a government to issue a royal decree.

The EC is not so sure and wants to be cautious for if something goes wrong they know that this so called government will blame them again.

The ML is only 18hrs old and a lot has gone down in that time so we wait to see.

• Like 2

The 26 appointed acting caretaker cabinet ministers who like to call themselves a government still seem to think they can push the EC around.

I see they have assured the EC that they have the authority of a government to issue a royal decree.

The EC is not so sure and wants to be cautious for if something goes wrong they know that this so called government will blame them again.

The ML is only 18hrs old and a lot has gone down in that time so we wait to see.

This PTP lot have more gall than all of France.

• Like 1

It's almost as if Pheu Thai lives on the planet Krypton. It's a complete alternate reality. One could say it is the natural consequence of shock. But then, how can you explain the fact they've always been like that ?

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

hmm... let's see where the wind blows first....very likely in the matter of 24, 48, or 72 hours, this government will not be around to haunt me for an election date anymore....

wait and see...

I think we are in for a big surprise. I bet my future TV posting that the General will shortly side with the care taker government and bolster them until new elections are immediately forced on us. It will be a sad day for democracy in Thailand if this becomes a reality.

Edited by jcb2001

wait and see...

I think we are in for a big surprise. I bet my future TV posting that the General will shortly side with the care taker government and bolster them until new elections are immediately forced on us. It will be a sad day for democracy in Thailand if this becomes a reality.

Yes, spoken like a true " away with the fairies " PTP supporter..

It's almost as if Pheu Thai lives on the planet Krypton. It's a complete alternate reality. One could say it is the natural consequence of shock. But then, how can you explain the fact they've always been like that ?

Yes, I agree and it reminds me of what an English school educated Chinese man said to me in Penang about 30 years ago.

" I really don't understand what these Chinese educated Chinese are thinking ". ( he was referring to the logic of their thinking)

wait and see...

Ouch, that hurts. I for one, am not or have never supported Pheu Thai, as you might see in all of my previous posts. I'm just saying the odds are stacked against us and it is looking even worse for the PDRC movement after the enforcement of martial law. I really hope I'm wrong, but right now, it doesn't look good.

• Like 1

The EC are caught on the backfoot with this as are the Army.

Army have effectively provided the security that the EC was sqealing didn't exist on feb 2

Been going after the media all day at their backers behest has blinded them to everything else going on.

Lets have an election so the world can see for the umpteenth time how few Bangkok Elite PDRC supporters there are.

Only them holding it up now.

You do realize who the army's backer is ?

No apparently not, best you do a little research which will be a new experience for you.

After you finish then you may be able to post common sense and not just red propaganda.

• Like 2

wait and see...

Ouch, that hurts. I for one, am not or have never supported Pheu Thai, as you might see in all of my previous posts. I'm just saying the odds are stacked against us and it is looking even worse for the PDRC movement after the enforcement of martial law. I really hope I'm wrong, but right now, it doesn't look good.

Good to hear you are not a PTP supporter.

However my wife and her friends had a laugh at your surprise idea.

• Like 1

The EC are caught on the backfoot with this as are the Army.

Army have effectively provided the security that the EC was sqealing didn't exist on feb 2

Been going after the media all day at their backers behest has blinded them to everything else going on.

Lets have an election so the world can see for the umpteenth time how few Bangkok Elite PDRC supporters there are.

Only them holding it up now.

You do realize who the army's backer is ?

No apparently not, best you do a little research which will be a new experience for you.

After you finish then you may be able to post common sense and not just red propaganda.

If you think the army has a single backer you might want to do a little research as well!

• Like 1

In principle setting an election IS the ONLY way to resolve this.

The army provides the security and protects the people from further grenade attacks for now.

The demonstrators are encouraged to go home and disperse... Both red and PDRC... ie go home.

An election date is set far enough away but not too soon to allow proper organising and campaigning.

The army provide the security to the EC to run an election as it should

Caretaker gov run things in the interim, as the constitution requires.

The people decide at the ballot box...

The dems should run in this election for thier own sake and the peoples for a choice.

Suthep goes home and can save face, the reds get an election and save face

The people are given the choice and the battle is fought in an election and not on the streets .. as it should be.

the army are seen as the heroes and do their job as protectors of the people....

Prayuth has a positive end to his career and can move into politics after sept.

We return to normality and democracy wins.

sounds good to me.

The main point of all that is that the election must be run in a manner that gives every candidate the opportunity to campaign in their constituency without fear and that intimidation and coercion are stamped down on severely as are shenanigans at the ballot box and vote counting.

Section 102 of the constitution must also be strictly enforced.

There must also be some sort of an agreement (enforced in some way) that the winner enacts comprehensive reforms.

These reforms to be put together by an independent reform group then taken to the people in a referendum.

There should also be a time limit on the reforms being put into law.

And Sathap also wants an election but with reforms first.

He will come round if a reform process can be enforced after a free and fair election..

• Like 2

I am assuming the communication lines between the caretaker cabinet, the UDD, the PDRC, the army, the election commission and the senate are not quite up to the speed of the Internet ... mixed messages coming from all angles. No wonder the situation has become like this.

The army provides the security and protects the people from further grenade attacks for now.

The demonstrators are encouraged to go home and disperse... Both red and PDRC... ie go home.

An election date is set far enough away but not too soon to allow proper organising and campaigning.

The dems should run in this election for thier own sake and the peoples for a choice.

The people are given the choice and the battle is fought in an election and not on the streets .. as it should be.

the army are seen as the heroes and do their job as protectors of the people....

sounds good to me.

The main point of all that is that the election must be run in a manner that gives every candidate the opportunity to campaign in their constituency without fear and that intimidation and coercion are stamped down on severely as are shenanigans at the ballot box and vote counting.

There must also be some sort of an agreement (enforced in some way) that the winner enacts comprehensive reforms.

These reforms to be put together by an independent reform group then taken to the people in a referendum.

He will come round if a reform process can be enforced after a free and fair election..

As ive always said I care not who the people choose to fleece the country, as long as they can choose their fate.

There would or should be time to arrange for an agreement for review and reforms from whatever government is returned in an election. since there has been no points agreed on its not likely that will be in place anytime soon. It does however allow for something to be agreed on and binding for when decided reforms whatever they may be are agreed about...

if there is a referendum or political agreement on certain reforms then it should be easy enough to make it an obligation of the next working government to oversee and implement within agreed time frames.. by law if required.

There will always be some that are not going to be happy but thats life.

As for Suthep im afraid since hes not a politician any longer and the PDRC are not apparently a political party they really are irrelevant in all this and any political solution.OK not irrelevant but certainly in no position to claim political consideration...

If he wanted he could set up a party and run, np im sure he could get the funding and apparently there are tens of millions behind him, so it should be a landslide victory for him as hes so in touch with the people. wink.png

I don't generally trust any military intervention and am sceptical its not just a coup by stealth over the next few days/weeks as many expect .. but..... there is always the chance people are coming to their senses here to end this widening crisis before things break irreversibly.

There is potentially the space now and security for people to open talks and put promises and a road map with reforms firmly on the table, and make the next elected gov responsible and accountable on overseeing them implemented.

I cannot see how any normal person unless just being stubborn and selfish would not agree to this.

hehe I know TIT

Edited by englishoak

sounds good to me.

As ive always said I care not who the people choose to fleece the country, as long as they can choose their fate.

There would or should be time to arrange for an agreement for review and reforms from whatever government is returned in an election. since there has been no points agreed on its not likely that will be in place anytime soon. It does however allow for something to be agreed on and binding for when decided reforms whatever they may be are agreed about...

if there is a referendum or political agreement on certain reforms then it should be easy enough to make it an obligation of the next working government to oversee and implement within agreed time frames.. by law if required.

There will always be some that are not going to be happy but thats life.

As for Suthep im afraid since hes not a politician any longer and the PDRC are not apparently a political party they really are irrelevant in all this and any political solution.OK not irrelevant but certainly in no position to claim political consideration...

If he wanted he could set up a party and run, np im sure he could get the funding and apparently there are tens of millions behind him, so it should be a landslide victory for him as hes so in touch with the people. wink.png

I don't generally trust any military intervention and am sceptical its not just a coup by stealth over the next few days/weeks as many expect .. but..... there is always the chance people are coming to their senses here to end this widening crisis before things break irreversibly.

There is potentially the space now and security for people to open talks and put promises and a road map with reforms firmly on the table, and make the next elected gov responsible and accountable on overseeing them implemented.

I cannot see how any normal person unless just being stubborn and selfish would not agree to this.

hehe I know TIT

Except the PTP and UDD are keeping on with having a fast election .. why I'm not really sure. And I'm not really sure how you could put any concrete proposals for reform into place .. there's no working government to make any laws!

But in general I agree.. I think Prayuth agrees. It's now up to the political clans!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good to hear you are not a PTP supporter.

However my wife and her friends had a laugh at your surprise idea.

I wouldn't laugh to much....while Prayuth looks reasonable at the moment, Thaksin has a lot money....

• Like 1

You think August 3rd is fast ? thats plenty of time surely they have all had since last year to get their houses in order and knew at some point there would be an election ( ok some praying there wouldnt be but )

It would not be hard to put in a caveat PRIOR to an election signed by all parties to be judged on and agreeing to reforms implemented at a later date within some timeframe .. in other words an open agreement to oversee whatever reforms are agreed on later...

I agree here its almost impossible to imagine anyone sitting down and compromising but it is doable, it just requires people to put the country first before their own asperations and self.... An no i dont think any of them or group here are capable of doing that but theres always hope

how Many months of protesting have passed and still there is the word " reform " and still it is just the word .Its time for every party to put their concrete "ways of solution " on the table , let them meet , let them discuss and let them explain their kind of view . But if you really want a fair election , the resulting government must be able to do real reforms !!!!!

They must be able to even change the constitution , they must be able to make the senate electorable ( if this is wanted by the voters and the majority of the Parliament ) , there must be a real opposition that always asks the governments decisions and stands for it means , instead of calling the courts ...crying `ve been fouled ,,,, but in the end the majority rules. This is the normal behaviour in a democracy. Let me share some thoughts on votebuying and renting participants on demonstrations ......I `m shure both of the parties are doing this .How could you convince someone poor to leave his home and demonstrate in Bangkok ??? ( not meaning you change his poltical view , but you give him the possibility to express his opportunity without financial problems....this is for both sides !!! ) I am fed up with this Dubai -thing my guess is that most corruption takes place in the lower civil servant scene , why should someone as rich as Thaksin try to earn some peanuts.??

There must be an election , but how could one make believe Thai people that this is higher than their personal interests.Did I state that I am no Thaksin fan ??( no Suthep either ) I do

sounds good to me.

Other than its never a good sign if you need the military to keep peace at home rather than the police, this would work. Well, work in any normal sane country that is.