Martial law in Thailand more bad news for embattled tourism industry

webfact

MARTIAL LAW
Martial law more bad news for embattled tourism industry

The Nation, Agencies

30234122-01_big.jpg
Tarik Asraoui, a tourist from Morocco, right, adjusts an army helmet as he poses for souvenir photographs with soldiers on a military vehicle at Ratchaprasong Intersection in Bangkok yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Tourists may start avoiding Thailand in droves now that the military has declared martial law, as many countries have issued advisories warning their citizens about the political crisis here.

Travel and related associations yesterday met with tourism authorities to hash out some measures to deal with the expected negative impact on the entire tourism industry.

Martial law was declared early yesterday. The military stated that it intended to preserve law and order more efficiently after the crisis dragged on for months without any solution in sight.

Chidchai Sakonbadi, vice president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), said the tourism industry had been in decline now for more than six months since the political conflict flared up. More than 50 countries have issued travel warnings, mostly advising their citizens to avoid travelling in protest areas.

"I expect that we may not attract a lot of tourists now because of this martial law," he said.

According to the Department of Tourism, the number of visitors to the country may fall by 5 per cent this year, the biggest drop since 2009. In the first four months, arrivals were down by 4.9 per cent from a year earlier, to 8.62 million.

Bank of Thailand statistics showed that three-month advance bookings for hotels in Thailand were 26 per cent in March, compared with 32 per cent a year ago, while the occupancy rate was 58 per cent compared with 72 per cent a year earlier.

Mario Hardy, chief operations officer at Pacific Asia Travel Association in Bangkok, warned that the announcement of martial law would not be good for Bangkok tourism.

ATTA, for its part, urged the military to revoke the law as soon as possible to regain tourists' confidence, especially from short-haul markets.

ATTA members are advising tourists who arrive in the Kingdom to adjust their schedules and head to places other than Bangkok, such as Chiang Mai, Phuket or Samui. The association is also working with travel associations in the provinces to come up with strategies.

James Ramage, group managing director for sales and marketing at one of the giant inbound operators, Diethelm Travel Group, yesterday advised all visitors to Bangkok to avoid protest sites and surrounding areas, political rallies and marches, as previously communicated.

However, beach resorts and other destinations within Thailand have not been affected by the political situation and the airports and other transportation systems are running as normal.

Thai Airways International, AirAsia and Singapore Airlines affirmed they would continue operating, but strongly recommended that passengers allow at least three hours' travel time to either of Bangkok's airports and closely follow traffic updates.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-21

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still find TAT figures funny.

They state a drop of 5% and make it sound big, in reality the place is deserted.

Not sure about other towns but Pattaya is pretty empty.

TAT may also have a bigger shock now that back to back visa runners have been targeted, so the tourist number will "drop " further

• Like 2

That picture in the OP is priceless.

Come to Thailand and go home with a snappy in a real Jeep, complete with .30 cal machine gun.

Lemons. Lemonade.

I'll be looking for one of those, to take a photo to send back home.

Edit: I'll have to flip the photo, because the wheel is on the wrong side- and I wouldn't want to be accused of faking it...

Edited by impulse

While required to get the gov't safely operating again, and for officials to be able to go to work without fear of Sutep and his hordes coming in to take over their offices,

Thailand will not soon recover this time

• Like 2

The big issue for this is that travel insurance will not cover people in countries under martial law. This will turn many off coming here while it is enacted. It also means those that have booked are covered to cancel their trips. The real effect on tourism may be much higher in a few months if still in place

I hadn't realised this Tim (I assume Tim is ok) but if so the effect will be massive. Do you know of a source of info this can be looked into?

Thanks

Arrived from Europe last friday around 6pm .... immigration empty , very few people in the airport ...was very strange actually ... But I can understand the interrogation of people , tourists want quiet places and quiet political situation otherwise what's the point of having holidays ..

• Like 2

However, beach resorts and other destinations within Thailand have not been affected by the political situation and the airports and other transportation systems are running as normal.

Looking at all the empty and many closed down bars around Pattaya I would beg to differ. Most "tourists" seem to be residents from Bangkok.

• Like 1

I am on a very popular island right now. It's literally a ghost town. Incredible. Bands playing to empty venues. Not a person there enjoying the music. I feel sorry for the locals.

Must be a dedicated band, playing at 8 in the morning!

• Like 2

The big issue for this is that travel insurance will not cover people in countries under martial law. This will turn many off coming here while it is enacted. It also means those that have booked are covered to cancel their trips. The real effect on tourism may be much higher in a few months if still in place

I hadn't realised this Tim (I assume Tim is ok) but if so the effect will be massive. Do you know of a source of info this can be looked into?

Thanks

Tim is fine. I used to work in private banking in Australia and we used to organise this for our clients. We have had this issue at the time in various countries and I believe that once imposed, they had 48 hours of cover left. This was 5 years ago say may have changed since then. Most of the coverage was done through the platinum card insurance but was the same as the stand alone policies we had.

To check your own policy, look up who is underwriting it on your banks website as it would most likely vary between countries

cheers thumbsup.gif

Was watching ChannelnewsAsia other day and they said numbers in Thailand down 18%, which still seems to underestimate what I've seen (or haven't seen). Back when younger I used to like to go to places under martial law. Was in Sri Lanka at height of their dust up. Went to some beach hotel, asked how much a room was: "Whatever you want to pay".

Bars closing down in Pattaya?

I dont suppose the bar girls have much saved in the bank,

It sounds like the entire food chain in Thailand will feel this, all the way up to the indebted families up north.

The pinch will soon give way to a flood of blood as hungry people start stealing, from their neighbors

• Like 1

And know doubt the economy will suffer like hell the rich will get richer the poor will be a lot poorer and the baht will get weaker but should the latter happen I will not complain more baht in my pocket !

That picture in the OP is priceless.

Come to Thailand and go home with a snappy in a real Jeep, complete with .30 cal machine gun.

I was thinking an M60, but perhaps my eyes (and the times) have changed. 7.62mm

Edited by slipperylobster