Reports of Tourist Visa denial at Hull

Just saw a thread on one of the Facebook groups from a UK guy saying he'd just been refused a tourist visa at Hull and had been told that they'd been instructed they could no longer issue visas.

The guy said a lot of his friends had recently been denied visas too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DSBKK/682358435151796/

Anyone got info as to whether this is true?

Another guy asked him if it was via mail and suggested he might be better of in London, the response was:

Should be London, and in person now, but Hull said it was futile. Thailand quietly are making moves to push us out. American friend has just had the same issue

Not sure if it's just scaremongering.

Someone else added this comment which was interesting - any idea if this is correct Ubonjoe?

Next 27 May there will be a Consultative Meeting with government to discuss the following:
Visas and work permits
- WP-10 regulation change
- Updates on immigration and work permit rules
e.g. Thai-Foreign employee ratio, required working capital per one work permit
BOI’s rules on unskilled foreign labor
BOI promotion for services
Other issues related to FTAs

Facebook post has been removed.

Yeah he said he was going to remove the thread. Shame he didn't start a thread over here so people could have got the full facts. Some of his claims were pretty far fetched. He also admitted openly (perhaps not the smartest thing to do on Facebook) that he was working remotely in Thailand and had done so for years.

Someone else added this comment which was interesting - any idea if this is correct Ubonjoe?

Next 27 May there will be a Consultative Meeting with government to discuss the following:

Visas and work permits

Where is this meeting supposed to be? Who has been invited? Do you know any more details?

• Like 1

Visas and work permits

Where is this meeting supposed to be? Who has been invited? Do you know any more details?

Nothing more at all, just something that an Italian chap had added to the post on Facebook but the thread was deleted before he could elaborate.

Visas and work permits

Nothing more at all, just something that an Italian chap had added to the post on Facebook but the thread was deleted before he could elaborate.

Can you remember the guys name or a link to his Facebook profile?

Why do people not bother to read properly.

it clearly states on the Hull web site that all postal applications for visa's are now done and processed at London.

Ease up, it is not that clear and can very easily lead to confusion.

The paragraph on Non Immigrant O says that they have to send it to London and will take about 5 days. You have read it fairly thoroughly to work out what they mean. I assume that you take your application to Hull and hand it in. Then about a week later you have to go back if it is approved.

Sounds a bit familiar.

Why do people not bother to read properly.

it clearly states on the Hull web site that all postal applications for visa's are now done and processed at London.

Ease up, it is not that clear and can very easily lead to confusion.

The paragraph on Non Immigrant O says that they have to send it to London and will take about 5 days. You have read it fairly thoroughly to work out what they mean. I assume that you take your application to Hull and hand it in. Then about a week later you have to go back if it is approved.

Sounds a bit familiar.

I agree with sandyf that it is not 100% clear.

For instance, the application form that you have to print off and complete still has the Consulate at Hull's address and not the Royal Thai Embassy in London's address.

Secondly, you still make your cheques payable to A P Taylor. He is the Honorary Consul at Hull.

Thirdly, last week, I posted here on another thread, correspondence that I had just had with the Consulate at Hull. I had asked whether they would grant me a third triple entry visa and whether there was a limit to the number of triple entry visas that could be granted to the same person. Hull replied that it would be granted and that there was no limit. Interestingly, they did NOT tell me that I now had to send the postal application to the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

This is the link (post #29):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726268-will-i-have-problems-with-a-triple-entry-tourist-visa/page-2

Anyway, I wrote another email to the Consulate at Hull yesterday (the reference in the email to a telephone call to Hull is a nod to Stanley78 in post #4 on this thread above):

Subject: Enquiry to Royal Thai Consulate Hull - Tourist Visas No Longer Processed by Post at Hull?

Dear Sir or Madam

I have made three postal applications to your offices in Hull:

(a) July 2012 for single entry visa for August - October 2012

(b ) January 2013 for triple entry visa for January - September 2013

© November 2013 for triple entry visa for November 2013 - August 2014

I am currently in Thailand and I shall fly back to the UK on 1st August. I shall apply for another triple entry visa in October 2014.

The Hull Consulate is always quick and efficient. If I post my application on a Monday, you process it on the Tuesday and I receive the application back on the Wednesday.

I have been looking at your website "Visa Applications and Downloads":

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

Paragraph 2 of that web page says:

"Visa applications by post should be sent to the Royal Thai Embassy in London";

Paragraph 3 says:

"Visa applications by hand can be submitted at the Royal Thai Consulate in Hullbetween 09:30 and 16:00 Monday to Friday"

That web page has a copyright date of 2008.

Apparently, someone telephoned the Thai consulate in Hull today, Thursday 22nd May, and asked them if they still process tourist visas. The lady on the line said "yes, but only in person."

I have looked at your "Visa Application Pack":

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20140211101356

On page 1, it says: "Visas are only available from the Royal Thai Embassy OR the Royal Thai Consulate."

On page 2, it says, under Non Immigrant Visa Category O-A long stay: "This visa can only be issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in London"

On page 3, it says that visas are issued at the discretion of the Royal Thai Consulate (RTC) and/or the Royal Thai Embassy (RTE)."

I have, on the three previous occasions listed above, downloaded the visa application form and have sent my tourist visa application forms with payment to the Consulate in Hull. I thought that it was only the Non Immigrant Visa Category O-A that had to be sent to the Embassy in London.

My questions to you:

(a) when I apply in October for my triple entry visa, can I still send the forms, as I have done on 3 previous occasions, to the Consulate at Hull?

(b ) are you now ONLY dealing with tourist visa applications that are made in person, and ALL postal applications, for tourist visas, and not just for Non Immigrant Visa O-A, must now be sent to the Embassy in London?

(c ) if so, when did the rules change that you no longer accept applications for tourist visas by post?

Thank you for your help

Yours faithfully

===================================================================================

Thank you fore your message

It is correct we can no longer deal with postal applications for any visa tourist or non-immigrant only if you come in person, all postal application do have to go through the Thai Embassy in London.

The changes imposed by the Royal Thai Embassy came into force on the 15th January 2014.If you can come to the consulate we do issue the tourist visas on the day but not the non-immigrant visas.

Regards

Royal Thai Consulate

I have to admit that in view of the email I received last week about triple entry visas, with no mention of the new requirement to post the application to London, I would have sent mine to Hull. That is what I have done on three previous occasions. As I said above, the application form that you print off still has the address for the Consulate at Hull.

I would therefore like to say a big 'thank you' to the OP for posting and raising the issue. The stuff about Facebook was confusing, but I have now got it clear in my own mind. Thanks mate :)

Indeed, I have learnt why we make the cheques payable to the Honorary Consul, A P Taylor, by name rather than to the Thai Consulate. This seems to be because his role is unpaid. Instead, he receives a percentage of the fees for the visas. See link here (if you are interested):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/humber/content/articles/2008/02/24/thai_consul_feature.shtml

I live just north of London, and so I may as well make the application in person at the Embassy rather than sending it through the post. I can then meet up with one of my friends afterwards for a drink. So this has been a really useful and helpful thread.

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1

Applications for a multiple entry non immigrant visas applied for at any of the honorary consulates in the UK are sent to the embassy for approval. You still use the consulates application form and pay them.

Mail in applications to the consulates ended in January of this year see this page on embassy website: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401