Thai Drivers License Valid In Cambodia?

As posted above, need to be the 5 years license.

Yes, it's definitely valid in Cambodia.

It's valid in all the ASEAN countries (and some additional countries), since the change to the plastic credit card style license.

Unfortunately that's still not a guarantee that the local policeman won't try to fine you anyway sad.png

• Like 2

It's valid in all the ASEAN countries (and some additional countries), since the change to the plastic credit card style license.

Unfortunately that's still not a guarantee that the local policeman won't try to fine you anyway sad.png

Vietnam did not sign the protocol. It insists on you getting one of theirs. You have to take your 5 year to them and I think it is a direct issue.

Vietnam did not sign the protocol. It insists on you getting one of theirs. You have to take your 5 year to them and I think it is a direct issue.

Yes, when you mention it, remember reading something about these problems with Vietnam.

I got pulled up with 5 year Thai licence in Phnom Phen. Police wanted to fine me $5, but I argued with him for about 10 minutes before he let me go. They will try anything. If you are on a motorcycle, make sure you have a switch so you can turn off your headlight during the day, otherwise you will be pulled up when a cop sees you and a $5 fine.

If you want to be very sure, write to their Embassy. If the answer is yes, then take a copy of the reply with you when you go to Cambodia.

I got pulled up with 5 year Thai licence in Phnom Phen. Police wanted to fine me $5, but I argued with him for about 10 minutes before he let me go. They will try anything. If you are on a motorcycle, make sure you have a switch so you can turn off your headlight during the day, otherwise you will be pulled up when a cop sees you and a $5 fine.

I had exactly the same issue, argued for 5 minutes that ASEAN Countries accept all licences, unfortunately the cops on the ground have no idea what that even means. There is a distinct lack of training in Cambodia with the police & they generally only target westerners, I showed them an out if date International licence, then averything was OK...... Go figure

I think you might ne wrong there pal, was in Sihanooky last month and got stopped

several time by the local fuz and all they care about was getting $ 1-2 " fine on the spot"

even though I have Thai driving license, and was told by the copper that Thai d/l means

nothing in Cambodia....

Isn't that what the International Drivers Permit is for?

I use it whenever I travel. Never A problem. Plus my home country license.

Yes. Agree. The International Driving Permit is the way to go.

It allows you to drive nearly everywhere in the World

and avoid you to get a license for every country you want drive in wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit#Countries_recognizing_IDP

Who wants to drive in Vietnam anyway? Even compared to Thailand it's a madhouse, leave it to the locals.

NO;

if your stoped u can SHOW it to them ( do not let them take it from your hands)

but usually if your stopped they will try an get something out of you $1-2 for a motorcycle $2-5 for a car

is the going rate.

Out of all my driving in Camboida, i have been stopped 2 times ONLY.

once in Phnom Penh and fined $5 for an illegal turn ( i was following a Cambodia car)

and once in SHV an was fined $20 he than gave me a 30 mniute lecture in perfect english an he knew my gf.

Explained all the laws an rules an said if he took me to the station i would lose my car ( thai registered) and be fined $200.

He siad it was usually $5 but there were 4 of them :-)

Yes they are a signtaure of the ASEAN an yes the 5 year license should be fine BUT

No It's not.

ONLY International and Cambodian licences are accepted in Cambo. You can get a Cambo license from Luckys Bike shop in PP for $50.

... but my info is only up to date as of last month.

No it is not. You can get pulled over and pay your way out but if you have an accident you MUST have a Cambodian one. International will not work either.

All insurance companies insist on Cambo license.

I've lived in Cambo for 10 years and am sure of this info as I've been through it a few times with myself and others.

Easy to get. Most travel agents rental agencies can do for you in a matter of hours. Only trouble is how to get one before you get there!?

You could call Infinity Insurance in PP, they speak perfect English and arrange for an insurance cover note on a Thai license. Then get a Cambo one once there to avoid fines.

They will also give you the correct info.

hi went to cambodia motor bike trip kawa 650. 10 days with thai wife arrived at shv stopped by police i had thai licence and head light on they said thai licence no good you have lights on, argued with them told them lights can not be turned off no switch and thai licence was good. they let me go no fine, after that i pulled plug off back of light in day time. friend had international licence no problem they were happy with this

I crossed several times via Poipet with my car (2003 - 2010) or motor cycle (2013-2014) into Cambodia. Fact is, an ASEAN Agreement states, that any driving licence issued in one ASEAN country is valid in all ASEAN countries. Well, so far, so good the official papers. We also know that police in many ASEAN countries are hardly interested to read (and / or to understand) anything, especially if it is against their interest to make some extra money, to get on with life and family. Same goes for Cambodia. However, to be fair, as Cambodia only not too long ago introduced official driving licences and many, if not most, Cambodians do not carry a driving licence, Police do not see it as a major issue. Same goes for the border crossing, I was never in my 19 years driving in Cambodia asked for a driving licence. I only showed/used it one time in 2008 as I crossed with my Thai registered car into Cambodia and Custom officers stopped me and asked for all kind of Import papers, which had from PP. However, as they felt still not comfortable, I showed them my Khmer driving licence and suddenly all problems had been solved.

Now you might want to know how to get a Khmer driving licence: Very easy, go to Lucky Lucky motorbike rental service, at 413Eo Monivong Boulevard http://yp.com.kh/listings/kh8826-lucky-lucky-motorcycles-shop with your national driving licence and for xx$ you will get your Cambodian Driving licence few days later.

In short, nobody ever asked me for a driving licence, even if police stopped me sometimes simply asking for money (no reasoning, simply pay), and if you feel you need it, you get a Khmer driving licence in PP.

Enjoy driving in Cambodia.

Yep, the law is what the local cops says it is....

No you will get stopped just pay $1 US it's extortion in Sihanoukville it's a joke and don't have your lights on during the day $1 fine and running a GREEN LIGHT $1 fine, Theres a way to avoid them in S'nouk just take the side streets.They want an International Licnese but you'll still have to pay for whatever they say you did.

Moved to the Cambodia forum.

While it is true that many Cambodians drive without a license, it is not the case that "no one cares". The police regularly shake them down for money. When they stop a foreigner, they will likewise hope to find that you do not have a valid license as this ups the amount of money they can demand for whatever the original infraction (or alleged infraction) was. Experienced it many times.

Personally I use an international permit and it has always been accepted by police there. Afraid I cannot clarify the situation regarding a Thai drivers licence t(as I also use international permit in Thailand, have only US license) though reports above seem to indicate that whatever the official policy may be, in practice police often do not accept it.

Who wants to drive in Vietnam anyway? Even compared to Thailand it's a madhouse, leave it to the locals.

"Who wants to dive in Vietnam anyway?". Most likely, those that want to exercise freedom and choose to do so. I prefer to let others live their own lives and not to direct them to do this or that.

I was in Snooky a couple of months ago. Had my Canadian licence and international permit. The scooter

rental company told me that it did not matter which licence I had I would have to make a 1-2 dollar donation

to the police when I was stopped. (Although they would not rent me a scooter without the international permit)

Sure enough my last day there (7th day) I was stopped by two police officers. They were friendly and happy

to see I had my international permit but asked for a tip for Cambodian New Year good luck. whistling.gif

Which I gave, 2 dollars each as I had been instructed by the rental company.

I think you might ne wrong there pal, was in Sihanooky last month and got stopped

several time by the local fuz and all they care about was getting $ 1-2 " fine on the spot"

even though I have Thai driving license, and was told by the copper that Thai d/l means

nothing in Cambodia....

Actually I do think I’m right, however I did add the standard disclaimer for any traffic violation in Asia wink.png

Think Lancelot narrows it down pretty well:

Yep, the law is what the local cops says it is....

There was a time a couple of years ago Lucky Lucky would not arrange a license. Maybe things have eased up.

Anyone been there recently to buy a license? What did you need to provide and how much? Thanks. I will renew soon when I return to Cambodia.

I have heard that Thai licenses are NOT accepted in Cambodia, whether 1 or 5 year versions. Not yet anyway. Better bring an international license or better yet, convert any foreign license (including Thai) to a 1-year Khmer license for US$45 or so, or if you do the driving test you can get a 5-year license.

There was a time a couple of years ago Lucky Lucky would not arrange a license. Maybe things have eased up.

Anyone been there recently to buy a license? What did you need to provide and how much? Thanks. I will renew soon when I return to Cambodia.

Every hotel or motorcycle / car rental agency can arrange a Cambodian license. I have been able to get one since 2010, which was the first time I was interested in having one. Never heard of anyone not being able to arrange one.

There are 2 versions: 1-year, which costs US$45-60 depending on who arranges the license, you need to show your passport, hand over 1 passport photograph and your equivalent foreign driver's license. It used to take only a couple of days if you pay extra but recently it took a month to receive mine, which is still at the hotel I stayed in Phnom Penh until I can arrange a courier to send it to me, or I next go to Phnom Penh.

The 5-year version requires a driving test and costs somewhere around $200-250 including the driving school fee. It takes at least a week to get and apparently you might need to have a business visa in your passport (but then again, maybe not).

• Like 1