Next Election May Take Place '1-2 Years' From Now

Lite Beer

Next Election May Take Place '1-2 Years' From Now

By Khaosod Eng.

14006802201400680463l.jpg

BANGKOK - Thailand may not get see a functioning government for the next 24 months.
"We have presented two solutions," said Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, "One option is a quick arrangement of election in five months from now ... And the other option is an election in one or two years from now."

Regardless of which option will be adopted, Mr. Somchai said, all relevant parties must present mechanism that will guarantee the new Prime Minister and Cabinet will take power in a legal manner, and genuinely accepted by all sides.

Mr. Somchai made the comment hours after he attended a 7-party "peace talk" arranged by the army-installed Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC). The meeting was meant to find a peaceful solution to the ongoing political crisis which pitted the embattled caretaker government of Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongphaisarn and the anti-government protesters, who are allied to the establishment.

Among the invitees are Mr. Niwatthamrong, the Senate Speaker, the Election Commission, chairmans of the ruling Pheu Thai and the opposition Democrat Parties. Leaders of pro-government and anti-government protest groups were also invited to the talk, which took place at the Army Club on Viphavadee Road today.

"The Election Commission has insisted to the meeting that an election is still the solution to the country," Mr. Somchai said in a press conference today, "It's just we have to wait for the right moment, so that the election takes place in peaceful and orderly manner, and a universally-accepted government can be formed after the election."

He explained that he offered two drastically-different timeframes to the meeting so that the participants can decide whether they can "create an appropriate atmosphere and mechanism, to ensure a free and fair election" in the next two months.

If they realise that they are not up to the task, they should wait for one or two years to solve the situation before an election is held, Mr. Somchai said.

Thailand has not seen a functioning government since former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra dissolved the House in December 2013, and set the new election in February 2014. Anti-government protesters have denounced the election, insisting that "reforms" must be implemented before any election can be held, and successfully blocked voting in many districts.

The Constitutional Court eventually invalidated the 2 February election result, citing the failure to hold the election and registration on the same day across the country.

Although a new election date has been set on 20 July, it is increasingly unlikely that the poll will take place on that day.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400680220&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-21

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may well take more than two years to root out all the corruption associated with the multi-billion baht scams PTP foisted on the country. And that should be part of the process of a fair election--full knowledge before the election of where the money went, who got it, and who accepted payoffs and bribes.

Would you apply that to only the most recent government or the one before also? Im thinking in particular the billions of baht Suthep stole with his Palm Oil antics?

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the situation. But reform is coming. Root out all the thieves, anywhere and everywhere. I think there are lots of people in the country at every social stratum who are desperate to see things change and have hope for the future. Clean the stables.

Its a yes or no question, can you not just answer it?

It will be interesting to see how an interim PM and cabinet will be able to run the country for the next one or two years with only the same "powers" as a caretaker government - of course that is if the legal route is taken via the constitution.

Way to go Somchai. Better hope you stick with this job because I can't see an Election Commission anywhere else in the democratic world offering you a job.

If the current government steps back the senate can appoint a PM with full power. It is bending the laws but it is legal.

Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, "One option is a quick arrangement of election in five months from now ... And the other option is an election in one or two years from now."

Of course, you have the ultimate solutions:

First one: Election-Collection!!!!

Second Choice: Election-Collection!!!!!!

And if there is a third choice,.... can you guess what the answer is???? ..... Election-Collection!!!!!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

10-20 years in Thai time. sad.png

They have beaten democracy - 1 person, 1 vote. sad.png

forgot the 2006 coup?

They gave power back as promised and let fair election happen (which by the way Thaksin won, what more proof do you need?)

Yes...Thaksin won..no problems.....but he mismanaged to such a degree for himself and his family, that eventually, he was ousted......then came his sister......

• Like 2

There is a silver lining to every catastrophe. For Thailand's neighbors - that is, and not for Thailand.

Thailand's neighbors have had a silver lining in rice sales for 2 years or so!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

," Mr. Somchai said in a press conference today, "It's just we have to wait for the right moment,

so that the election takes place in peaceful and orderly manner,

and a universally-accepted government can be formed after the election."

#1....I thought martial law should ensure a "peaceful & orderly election"

#2.... Where in the world has a universally-accepted government?

There is always a winner & a loser ...happy & unhappy voters

This does not smell good & those reveling in the thought of more baht for their dollar

might be discounting what living in a civil war torn country might be like.

Thais dont do evolution..too many greedy dinosaurs holding the country back ...revolution it is then or more nonsense years of an army PM. After which time the rules of law will be twisted that much as the red shirts, even with a majority can never gain outright power. Whichever way you look at it...bloodshed or a mass exodus of the dinosaurs in on the horizon. And dinosaurs dont move that quick

• Like 2

," Mr. Somchai said in a press conference today, "It's just we have to wait for the right moment,

so that the election takes place in peaceful and orderly manner,

and a universally-accepted government can be formed after the election."

#1....I thought martial law should ensure a "peaceful & orderly election"

#2.... Where in the world has a universally-accepted government?

There is always a winner & a loser ...happy & unhappy voters

This does not smell good & those reveling in the thought of more baht for their dollar

might be discounting what living in a civil war torn country might be like.

Thais dont do evolution..too many greedy dinosaurs holding the country back ...revolution it is then or more nonsense years of an army PM. After which time the rules of law will be twisted that much as the red shirts, even with a majority can never gain outright power. Whichever way you look at it...bloodshed or a mass exodus of the dinosaurs in on the horizon. And dinosaurs dont move that quick

Red dinosaurs don't move or JUMP at all unless the buffalo chief in Dubai tells them too then they whimper "HOW HIGH`'? This is ALL about him if you can't see that watch a soap opera on channel 7 instead of posting on here!!!

After the threats by the red shirt "Uncle Yim" on his FB page one might be forgiven for suggesting free and fair elections will be along long way away yet. This shows the lack of intellect being displayed by them. They yearn for elections, they will fight and die for elections, but they threaten the lives of opposition leaders in the same breath thus ensuring and proving that elections are not going to happen soon.

This is why elections may be 2 years away.

​Training a mongrel dog pack (that attacks one monk) to sit and roll takes years...

So typical of the one size fits all mentality shown by the self chosen ones.

Training a mongrel dog pack (that attacks one monk) to sit and roll takes years...

I mean where do you get this from, is there a facebook page for PDRC bile or something?

Maybe there is a FB page on PDRC bile, but I am more interested in what you think about the fact I presented.

Do you feel elections can be free and fair when the PTP/UDD threaten opposition leaders.

Your inability to even acknowledge the threats of opposition leaders and instead say a few silly quips shows that you or the PTP are not ready in seriously addressing free and fair elections, but would rather dodge that uncomfortable fact and have a go at me and state "bile"

The threats are ignored to have a go at me?

Come on..Rebut me?

Whats your views on this?

Edited by djjamie

It is a coup! I hope US and other embassies seems it that way asap. You can also send e-mail to your emabassy/consulate to say you support democracy and Thai constitution (which clearly tells to have an election asap). I pitty those brave some 30 million people who voted and will vote in an election(s). Everybody should also know that vote buying has been a long tradition in Thai politics just made "know" during Thaksin period. Corruption done by Suthep (who is considered not that wealthy just owning few billions) is much much worse than T. did. The problem/challenge is between Siam and Thailand as a whole. finally last time military picked the government, it was the most corrupted government in decades in Thailand

• Like 2

It is a coup! I hope US and other embassies seems it that way asap. You can also send e-mail to your emabassy/consulate to say you support democracy and Thai constitution (which clearly tells to have an election asap). I pitty those brave some 30 million people who voted and will vote in an election(s). Everybody should also know that vote buying has been a long tradition in Thai politics just made "know" during Thaksin period. Corruption done by Suthep (who is considered not that wealthy just owning few billions) is much much worse than T. did. The problem/challenge is between Siam and Thailand as a whole. finally last time military picked the government, it was the most corrupted government in decades in Thailand

Which government was that then?

Why don't you all actually give the talks a chance?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app