Looking for a fishing buddy

Hello fellow fishermen/women!

Let me briefly introduce myself: I'm a Dutch guy who loves fishing. I've been living in Bangkok for 1,5 years but haven't really been able to fish successfully in Thailand yet. In The Netherlands I used to fish for pike and carp mostly.

I've tried to fish on the Chao Praya and the river Pai but I haven't really caught anything mentionable, only a view catfish and some other small fish of which I don't know the names. I’ve brought 2 fishing rods over from The Netherlands and some basic fishing gear.

I know that there are some really big fish on the Chao praya and the surrounding canals. But it’s also very hard to find a good fishing spot in the middle of this concrete jungle. I know about the fishing lakes in the Bangkok area but this is not something in which I’m very interested. I’m more interested in “wild” fish instead of some starving catfish that are really easy to catch. Although it does sound like a fun thing to do, it’s not something I would like to focus on.

So I’m looking for someone who’s already familiar with the fish and fishing techniques in Thailand and who would like to go fishing one day.

I’m looking forward to the responses and if you would like to go fishing, please send me a private message.

Cheers!

Dutchie

If I wanted to break the streak, I'd head over to Pilot 111 and pay 500 baht for a great day of fishing. Bring the fly rod and it's even better. No live bait allowed- all lure fishing.

If I wanted to break the streak in style, I'd then pay the extra 2000 baht and go across the street at Pilot 111 and fish their "private reserve" And catch 10-20 pound barramundi just about as fast as I can reel them in.

If I wanted to soak bait for humongous catfish, Bungsamran would be my choice, where I'd expect to catch half a dozen catfish up to 100 lb in an afternoon.

Yes, it's a guilty pleasure, similar to fishing in a fish farm. Real similar.

But if you're expecting wild fish to survive the gauntlet of nets, clubs, spears and traps here in the land of eating everything they can catch, you're going to be sorely disappointed. And you'll want access to a boat- not an easy feat for us apartment dwellers.

When you're at Pilot 111 or BSR, introduce yourself to other guys who share your fishing style. They may be able to point you to some wild fish. Sadly, I don't get enough time off to spend my time looking for wild fish, and I don't belong to any Thai fishing clubs that chase them (mostly snakeheads) in the wild.

Best of luck. PM me if you're headed to Pilot 111 and maybe we can meet sometime. I don't get there as often as I like, because work gets in the way.

If you want to get real envious, rattle on over to this website and peruse through the pictures: http://www.siamfishing.com/

Edited by impulse

If you scour the thai forums a little its quite easy to find numbers of boat men in all the dams, bang prah for instance does not allow motors so the guy has to paddle, i have no idea about bait fishing in the dams as i only go lure

fishing but there are guys who fly fish there also, the target is mostly jungle perch and plachado,

Street fishing has become quite popular in and around bkk, its an interesting way to see the city.

• 3 weeks later...

If you scour the thai forums a little its quite easy to find numbers of boat men in all the dams, bang prah for instance does not allow motors so the guy has to paddle, i have no idea about bait fishing in the dams as i only go lure

fishing but there are guys who fly fish there also, the target is mostly jungle perch and plachado,

Street fishing has become quite popular in and around bkk, its an interesting way to see the city.

what the heck is street fishing tingtong?!

i have seen kids standing here in the road with nets in the floods, and catching escapees from next door's pond etc, but i dont think that is what you refer to is it?

i have seen kids standing here in the road with nets in the floods, and catching escapees from next door's pond etc, but i dont think that is what you refer to is it?

Its a far cry from throwing a net or drowning a worm, street fishing entails going around on a motocyc or bicycle casting scum frogs into any body of water you can find regardless of how small although klongs are the obvious choice,

Pla chon get just about anywhere as they are air breathers and can walk a couple of km without problems, A nice short rod is needed and good casting skills, the gear these people use is quite high end,

There are groups of these anglers going around ...both male and female but often its called a team.

Its a far cry from throwing a net or drowning a worm, street fishing entails going around on a motocyc or bicycle casting scum frogs into any body of water you can find regardless of how small although klongs are the obvious choice,

Pla chon get just about anywhere as they are air breathers and can walk a couple of km without problems, A nice short rod is needed and good casting skills, the gear these people use is quite high end,

There are groups of these anglers going around ...both male and female but often its called a team.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever feel like a trip up to Essan I'll be happy to take you out on the lake here in Loei.It's a little piece of heaven. I've got a good custom built fishing boat with electric outboard I brought from Scotland. There have been great days & disappointing days over the past few years for me but when you get lucky there's nothing to compare with catching a big wild fish. August, September & October are the best times to go for the big boys. Now I just spin with poppers for Plachon & Plachado. I'm sure you know that a bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work! I used to own a fishing tackle shop in Scotland & brought loads of good gear here. You are welcome to experience what I have available up here any time. Here's one of my better catches. Tight lines mate! Joe

attachicon.gifPC140449.JPG

Really nice fish! I'm down in Trat, but I'd love to head up to Issan and fish sometime. I brought 14 fishing rods and 18 reels with me from America.

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2014 at 10:17 PM, Scotswahay said:

If you ever feel like a trip up to Essan I'll be happy to take you out on the lake here in Loei.It's a little piece of heaven. I've got a good custom built fishing boat with electric outboard I brought from Scotland. There have been great days & disappointing days over the past few years for me but when you get lucky there's nothing to compare with catching a big wild fish. August, September & October are the best times to go for the big boys. Now I just spin with poppers for Plachon & Plachado. I'm sure you know that a bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work! I used to own a fishing tackle shop in Scotland & brought loads of good gear here. You are welcome to experience what I have available up here any time. Here's one of my better catches. Tight lines mate! Joe

post-146449-0-61861600-1400771749_thumb.

hi i see this is a old topic hope you are still hear in thailand i have been hear for 7 years and i use a 4 weight fly rod on the local river Ping catch small fish but its fun.i am hopefully coming to loei on the 16th may for 4 days would like to take you up on your offer if it still is ok my name is Tony ok       [email protected]