Mobile Phone Recommendation

NguuMuu

I'm looking to buy a new mobile phone and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. This is what I'm looking for:

• Price around 5-6,000 baht.
  • Looks good (image is everything in thailand, right?). I've always liked phones that flip open.
  • Has a color screen (is that standard these days?)
  • Has some decent games for those long, traffic-jammed taxi rides.
  • I do not need internet capability or palm pilot or other complex capabilities.
  • Easy for typing text messages in Thai and English.
  • A camera is a nice feature, but by no means required.
  • The phone is to be bought in Thailand for use in Thailand only.

I think there's a lot of phones that would fit these requirements now a days. If you have a phone that you really like, let me know. Any model recommendations, or sites where I can browse through phones?

:o

I have a Nokia 6610 which fits your description.

It is a little old, and there will be more modern models, but generally

with more features I do not want or need.

It may pay you to check out the 2nd hand market.

Get some names, models and prices, then check out the features on the Internet, before you buy.

I'm looking to buy a new mobile phone and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. This is what I'm looking for:
  • Looks good (image is everything in thailand, right?). I've always liked phones that flip open.
  • I do not need internet capability or palm pilot or other complex capabilities.

I think there's a lot of phones that would fit these requirements now a days. If you have a phone that you really like, let me know. Any model recommendations, or sites where I can browse through phones?

I recommend the Motorola L6. It is slim, stylish, fairly easy to use and fits your budget. Was 7,900 in Jay Mart during February of 2006. It has recently dropped to 5,100 baht. It has a colour screen, 10 MB memory and has bluetooth. Can't comment on the games as I've never played them but they do have a few on there. Perhaps other L6 users on this forum can comment on the games. It comes with a low resolution camera which can be useful for quick snaps suitable for email attachments. I get 2.5- 3 hours battery life on a single charge. The only catch would be that composing sms's has a bit of a learning curve but once you've mastered it you can type at fairly fast speeds. Personally I think that you can't beat Nokia for user friendliness when it comes to composing sms. If it is not absoultely necessary for you to have a flip top phone, I recommend this phone. Now is a good time to buy as it has dropped in price. I reckon if you wait any longer it will be discontinued. Orange have a promotion whereby if you buy the phone with the sim for 5,100 baht you get a lot of free calls (something like 300 baht of credits a month for 6 months). The L6 delivers a lot of bang for the buck!

Thanks for the replies! :o

The nokia 6610 looks OK, but maybe a little older than I would like. Prices seem to be around 2,500 baht for that one.

Crabstix, that Motorola L6 is sounding pretty nice...looks like it fits all my needs and more for a good price. I found it online at telewiz for only 4,500 baht. This could be my next phone...thanks for the suggestion.

Lung, I've known about siamphone.com, but it's mostly Thai so not too easy for me to use. Thaimobilecenter.com is a nice site I haven't seen before, though. A lot of Thai, but a good amount of English too...thanks for the reference.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the replies! :o

The nokia 6610 looks OK, but maybe a little older than I would like. Prices seem to be around 2,500 baht for that one.

Crabstix, that Motorola L6 is sounding pretty nice...looks like it fits all my needs and more for a good price. I found it online at telewiz for only 4,500 baht. This could be my next phone...thanks for the suggestion.

Lung, I've known about siamphone.com, but it's mostly Thai so not too easy for me to use. Thaimobilecenter.com is a nice site I haven't seen before, though. A lot of Thai, but a good amount of English too...thanks for the reference.

:D:D:D

Wow! That is cheap! Wish I hadn't paid so much for my one. I got mine for 6,500 in March 2006 in MBK. I thought it was a bargain at the time since it was originally 7,900 baht (probably even more before the L7 was out) It is now available in two colours, grey or pink.

Grey looks cool. The speaker is nice and loud for ringtones too. The 10 MB that is built in is sufficent for ringtones but U won't have any room for songs. I guess if songs were important the L7 would be the one to buy.

I just bought our twins new Nokia 6103 phones last week.

They were 6700 baht in Korat but I am sure you can find them a bit cheaper in Bangkok.

Very nice looking flip phones, with camera, bluetooth and GPRS Edge, They love them!!

Here is a link to the UK nokia site with the phone spec's :

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,86676,00.html