How do I register our marriage in Thailand without affirmation certificate from Indian Embassy?

ulakme

Hello Friends,

I am an Indian national residing in India itself and not Thailand I am a Banker by profession. I have never been married before.
I am due to get married to my Thai girlfriend in Thailand in the first week of July'14.
As I understand, the process involves that I am to have an affidavit confirming my Bachelorhood status ( I am single and never been married before ) under the seal of a Judicial Magistrate and then have it subsequently attested by the Indian Foreign Ministry. I understand that the affirmation to marry certificate obtained from the respective home embassy is a common clause as required by the Thai authorities
This document I need to present at the Indian Embassy in Bangkok, along with my Passport and Visa for " Affirmation ". This affirmation is required for having the marriage registered in Thailand. I had written to the Indian Embassy in Bangkok and they have now written back that though I can get married in Thailand as per Thai traditional laws, I cannot get our marriage registered in Thailand as for issuing the " Affirmation " certificate, I need to show them a residency or work visa for a minimum period of 2 years. This information is not available at the Indian Embassy, Thailand website under the particular subject " Affidavit for registering marriage in Thailand ". I had written to the embassy previously also but they never mentioned anything about the same. They have sprung this clause now when I wrote to them to reconfirm on the processing time involved for issuance of such certificate.
I will eventually register our marriage in India also when my fiance visits in the later part of the year, but we wanted to register it in Thailand first as the process is much quicker. Right now it seems that we will have to do it the traditional way, though we are aware the same is not legally recognised.
Since, the Indian Embassy in Thailand has refused to issue the affirmation certificate, even though the affidavit that I am required to present will be apostilled by the Indian Foreign ministry, is there any way by which we can register our marriage in Thailand without the embassy affirmation? Will the Thai marriage authorities accept the affidavit if I get it attested / legalized by the Thai Embassy / Consulate in India also.
I am in a predicament and confused. Valuable inputs will be deeply appreciated.
Warm Regds
Ulakme

Friend of mine had same problem. In the end he had to go to India, get the docs and come back. You should be able to get the doc in India via a lawyer or a well connected friend.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, Christopherabhadra said:

its changed only in Phuket also in just few of the amphurs. But i am sure it might get stricter. 

i am married and not divorced and i am muslim can i get marry again with my thai girlfriend and registerd in thailand