To the world: Please don't become part of Thailand's internal affairs problem

webfact

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the problem is western media slant situation in Thailand not because "foreign press never bothered to study the verdict thoroughly."

there were a few coups around the world in previous few years: Egypt, Morocco, Ukraine, Libya. And any time Western Media, controlled by US financial oligarchy coherently took the position of supporting US-controlled figures. There were no any voice truly against joint position.

there are no independent media in Western World anymore (actually if there were any before is also a big question). All of them a directly controlled by US bankers and government and work as a propaganda machine, influencing sovereign nations affairs.

In Thailand there agenda is to restore Thaksin, there agent of influence, in power. And they will do whatever it takes to archive this goal.

Don't ask any objectivity from them, this is simply not what they are getting there paychecks for.

Once in a while you need to take off that tinfoil hat my friend, it must give you some serious headaches cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif OK, now please continue with more conspiracy theories biggrin.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the USA in particular should keep their interfering nose out of it totally as should rest of world USA in particular have caused more deaths and problems by putting their big nose where it does not belong. They adel bathed and hated by most of world and only yeti involved to save their own interests. I and many others hate them for deaths and misery they have caused.

And yet they continue in Ukraine where quite rightly the people of Crimea don't want anything to do with fascist regime in Kiev that USA put in power. ThE USA are hypercritical bastards having invoked a lot of military coup's when it suited their interests

Anyway USA europe and rest wont do anything since they are has been powers and sooner they realise that the better

C'mon there icare, now get up on your soapbox and tell us what you really think, and don't hold back this time cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</scrip

Really?Mosts books about Thailand and whats going in Thailand are blacklisted.Because the establishment is scared to death things go public.As long some institutions in Thailand are above the law and protected by an undemocratic and biased constitution,as long Thailand goes in circles.Thaksin might be a greedy corrupt guy,but he is smart.he had to go because he was gaining to much power,he tried to take power away from the army,royalists and bkk elite.What happend now was probably long planned by suthep and army and untouchables.Maybe not now but i think in near future we will see a civil war in Thailand,because of institutions like army and others,because the poor want a bit,and the rich don't want to give

Thus the crux of this whole problem. Wasn't there a thread on here recently about Thai exceptionalism?

The bottom line is that 80%+ of Thai people have two choices:

Group A, who have held power either directly or behind the scenes for decades and have done little or nothing to improve the situation for anyone else outside of their group.

Group B, who are as every bit corrupt as Group A, if not more, but sprinkle enough of it around to keep everyone happy.

There's no "Thai nuance" to that situation. It's pretty clear. It's simple human nature. Thai's aren't some special level of human achievement that can't be broken down on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

A few years back, and I think they keep repeating this poll, they did a poll where some overwhelming majority of Thai people said they didn't mind corruption as long as they benefitted from it. Us westerners pull that out to show how corrupt Thai culture is at its core but, if all you know is Group A and Group B, even that is a perfectly logical choice. If corruption is the norm in politics, the government, etc, the best you can hope for is to at least benefit in some way from it. It doesn't mean that the people themselves are corrupt. It just means that if you just accept that it's corrupt, your only desire is to at least get something out of it.

The people who don't understand Thaksin's popularity need to forget about the corruption and focus on how you would see it if you had the above choices. Likewise, it's easy to see the poor hillbilly's as being too dumb to vote for the right choice if your worldview is based in the fact that you benefit from cheap, uneducated labor.

We, as expats and tourists, actually benefit from this situation and are poor judges of what's right or wrong in Thailand. As soon as I heard about the coup my first reaction was to check exchange rates and pump my fist at the weakening Thai baht because my income sources are in dollars. The relatively low cost of living in Thailand is predicated on the fact that neither Group A or Group B is interested in benefitting the whole Thai economy. Most of us would have been priced out of Thailand long ago if the country was actually doing anything other than funneling large amounts of money to a relatively small number of people.

The only way out for Thailand, over the long term, is for someone who doesn't represent Group A or Group B to bravely take a stand. Sadly, that person stands no chance of dying a natural death. Just as patriots and civil rights leaders have been assassinated in western countries, someone in Thailand needs to be willing to chuck the whole corrupt system out the window. There are very few countries where power was ripped from the powerful and turned back over to the people where blood didn't need to be spilled. That's the difference between Thai democracy and western democracy. Thais have never paid the price. They don't cherish democracy. They don't understand it as a fundamental human right.

It's hard for us foreigners to understand the Thai mentality because someone already paid that price for us. We grew up expecting it. And it's hard for Thais to understand our mentality because they haven't yet paid the price.

To really, really understand, I had to see my wife adapt to US culture. I still remember the first time a late night talk show host ripped on Obama and my wife's jaw dropped. She simply could not fathom that this guy was not going to be arrested the next day. Or imagine the shock of a Thai seeing the rule of law being applied equally who has only known corruption. Not that the US is democracy nirvana. It's not. But compared to what Thais call democracy, it's light years away.

This is an excellent post. The best I've read on this forum for a long time. Totally nails it. Well done and thanks!

I'll second that thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The sad thing about this article is that it is written by someone with a good education but who unfortunately has not escaped from the Thai physche of believing no one can understand unless they are Thai - as if Thais were a human race apart. What most of the foreign press and governments are concerned about is the rights of ordinary Thai people to have a democratically elected government, something that most mature countries guage as paramount. Most outsiders see military intervention as antidemocratic because in all the coup d'etats that have happened this has been the case and in Thailand's case the aftermaths have usually lead the country backwards. The genuine belief of the foreign press and international community of helping Thailand and its wonderful population finding its way to democracy should not be underestimated.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Leggo, You have of course stated the obvious here, and it is refreshing to see this and a few other straightforward objective posts on TV. All too often it is the drunk and ignorant posting here on TV wai2.gif

• Like 1

That is ridiculous. It is not a "Thai problem", but a problem experienced by people. A military coup, against a democratically elected government, with the same pseudo justification given as it always is, for national security, or something similar.

You seem a little confused by all of this, so let me try and help you understand what’s really going on. As a Thai person, I have a unique insight into the situation that you simply do not. You can’t appreciate our country’s current events just by reading those academic, peer-reviewed books of yours, because they rely far too much on facts and corroboration, and miss out on the nuances that define our culture and kingdom. Also, it has been well documented that the foreign press has been unduly influenced by dark forces, and I have it on good authority that most of the books and articles that attack our position were paid for by Thaksin Shinawatra. Please set aside all those lies by the Economist and the Yale University Press. Those organizations have no credibility compared to the absolutely true rumors I heard from my friend on Facebook who heard it from someone who works in a insider position of such high authority I can’t even tell you what it is.

Really?Mosts books about Thailand and whats going in Thailand are blacklisted.Because the establishment is scared to death things go public.As long some institutions in Thailand are above the law and protected by an undemocratic and biased constitution,as long Thailand goes in circles.Thaksin might be a greedy corrupt guy,but he is smart.he had to go because he was gaining to much power,he tried to take power away from the army,royalists and bkk elite.What happend now was probably long planned by suthep and army and untouchables.Maybe not now but i think in near future we will see a civil war in Thailand,because of institutions like army and others,because the poor want a bit,and the rich don't want to give

Thus the crux of this whole problem. Wasn't there a thread on here recently about Thai exceptionalism?

The bottom line is that 80%+ of Thai people have two choices:

Group A, who have held power either directly or behind the scenes for decades and have done little or nothing to improve the situation for anyone else outside of their group.

Group B, who are as every bit corrupt as Group A, if not more, but sprinkle enough of it around to keep everyone happy.

There's no "Thai nuance" to that situation. It's pretty clear. It's simple human nature. Thai's aren't some special level of human achievement that can't be broken down on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

A few years back, and I think they keep repeating this poll, they did a poll where some overwhelming majority of Thai people said they didn't mind corruption as long as they benefitted from it. Us westerners pull that out to show how corrupt Thai culture is at its core but, if all you know is Group A and Group B, even that is a perfectly logical choice. If corruption is the norm in politics, the government, etc, the best you can hope for is to at least benefit in some way from it. It doesn't mean that the people themselves are corrupt. It just means that if you just accept that it's corrupt, your only desire is to at least get something out of it.

The people who don't understand Thaksin's popularity need to forget about the corruption and focus on how you would see it if you had the above choices. Likewise, it's easy to see the poor hillbilly's as being too dumb to vote for the right choice if your worldview is based in the fact that you benefit from cheap, uneducated labor.

We, as expats and tourists, actually benefit from this situation and are poor judges of what's right or wrong in Thailand. As soon as I heard about the coup my first reaction was to check exchange rates and pump my fist at the weakening Thai baht because my income sources are in dollars. The relatively low cost of living in Thailand is predicated on the fact that neither Group A or Group B is interested in benefitting the whole Thai economy. Most of us would have been priced out of Thailand long ago if the country was actually doing anything other than funneling large amounts of money to a relatively small number of people.

The only way out for Thailand, over the long term, is for someone who doesn't represent Group A or Group B to bravely take a stand. Sadly, that person stands no chance of dying a natural death. Just as patriots and civil rights leaders have been assassinated in western countries, someone in Thailand needs to be willing to chuck the whole corrupt system out the window. There are very few countries where power was ripped from the powerful and turned back over to the people where blood didn't need to be spilled. That's the difference between Thai democracy and western democracy. Thais have never paid the price. They don't cherish democracy. They don't understand it as a fundamental human right.

It's hard for us foreigners to understand the Thai mentality because someone already paid that price for us. We grew up expecting it. And it's hard for Thais to understand our mentality because they haven't yet paid the price.

To really, really understand, I had to see my wife adapt to US culture. I still remember the first time a late night talk show host ripped on Obama and my wife's jaw dropped. She simply could not fathom that this guy was not going to be arrested the next day. Or imagine the shock of a Thai seeing the rule of law being applied equally who has only known corruption. Not that the US is democracy nirvana. It's not. But compared to what Thais call democracy, it's light years away.

Brilliant post, and it really deserves more likes.

If you could write this in a more scholarly way, I imagine it might find its way into major media distributors. It's an excellent piece.

Check this out this is pretty much along the same lines.... http://www.aa.com.tr/en/news/333383--german-photojournalist-just-one-victim-of-thai-conflict

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Kind of ironic those countries governments adding their pathetic two cents of big brother crap have messed up their own countries. I agree, stay out of Thailand's business. They can handle it fine.

I don't think they can handle this at all. Thailand at this point is at risk of either civil war or turning into Cambodia.... They need help fast. The world needs to speak sense into this junta.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I respect the point this article is making. I do not agree with everything the author is saying, viewing this situation as an American expat living in Thailand for several years. But the author is making some strong points. Thailand has been trying to establish a democratic government for about 80 years, now. The checks and balances are not effective yet, and therefore corruption continues to be uncontrollable. The people, both educated and uneducated want a fair and accountable system of representation and they do not have one yet. Thailand has attacked no other nation outside its borders. Thailand does not try to impose the Thai national will or cultural views on other nations or peoples. This situation concerns the dysfunction of Thailand's government only. At least for the time being, there is an opportunity for the Military to keep the impact of this coup to a minimum, and facilitate dialogue between PDP and UDD leadership.If the Leadership do their jobs: carry out the business of government in a manner that serves the best interests of the people - the coup can be ended with new elections. The author is also telling the truth about the Red Shirt political machine, and its ecxesses and outright abuses of power that led to the protests and to the military coup. That same corrupt political machine will sweep the next elections. And they will win regardless of whatever reforms are imposed. This is simply because the poor overwhelmingly outnumber the rich. The poor are reperesented by the Red Shirts. The rich are represented by the Yellow Shirts. The poor will not vote for the PDP. The PDP has not done anything the empower the poor. The TRT - UDD - PTP Red shirts have done things to empower the poor. The Red Shirts did not conduct their political duties legally, and did not serve the people well. They are now out of office. Reforms are being called for. Reforms are indeed needed. Reforms may indeed be accomplished. When new elections are held, under new rules, will they be free and fair? That is the first major test. Whatever the political reforms are meant to correct, they must not impede free and fair elections. Elections in Thailand have historically been free, but not fair. Vote-buying and fixing deals has long been the practice of both sides, red shirt and yellow shirt. Putting a stop to it will require the kind of law enforcement Thailand does not have. Reforms are llikely to focus more on the process of selecting and approving political candidates. There will be a wish to intervene in who is allowed to stand for election more behind the scenes. Regardless - If the elections are seen to be rigged by the international monitoring agencies, Thailand wil have a serious confrontation with the rest of the free world over this. Rigged or not, the elections will very likely be a landslide win for the red shirts candidates. With the red shirts back in power with a strong majority, will the Yellow Shirts be willing to take part in government where they have very limited legislative and executive influence? Important question. Here is another one: When these proposed reforms are announced to the Thai people, will the people have a legitimate say in ratifying or opposing them? Referendum or civil war is hanging on that question.

I say let the Thai work the problem. International community, and especially my American government, should offer assistance, and withhold public criticism. Even with the purest intentions of the Military to facilitate a right approach to dialogue, there will be imperfect human actions that degrade to process, so each new development should be regarded with patience and some perspective. Thailand has so far acted honorably in the international community, and should be treated with according respect. They want the same freedoms as the rest of the free world, and they may yet succeed in securing their liberty in a better government body. Should be half as patient with Thailand, as Thais are with foreigners, it should be sufficient breathing room. The Thai are a tolerant and polite people. They are asking for a little of that to be returned to them in kind, and it should be so.

The cost of living is going up rapidly. Economic policies that lifted many of the rural poor out of starvation and destitution may not sustain them for very long. Thailand's number one problem is education. The elite have spurned education for the poor because this secures a future in powerfor the elite's children . But by keeping the majority of the population undereducted, national competetiveness and competency are suffering, and Thailand is losing ground to better educated workers in other countries. Too, national law enforcement against corruption and abuses is greatly impeded by poor education. And again, these weaknesses in the people help keep the elite in power. Education has therefore been the accelerant to the class division and income disparity empowering one group and impugning the other group, and the very reason why economic populism was successful in polarizing Thailand's politics. And now the polarization is so complete, that if the PDP truly want reform, they must address this, or nobody will buy into what they want in return.

I wish them luck.

• Like 2

Reply to Bluefunk...

I wish the teenagers in the UK, US & Europe could rant like that. Maybe their parents wouldn't be so opinionated and narrow minded...

Just because you sleep in a bed in Thailand doesn't make you an expert on Thai affairs. Especially when you wake up every morning with the same predjucies and opinions you were probably too scared to voice 'at home'.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jobe

Shoppers and curious tourists milled around the protest, highlighting the differing responses to a coup welcomed by some Thais and met with nervous neutrality by others used to seeing electoral politics hijacked. Demonstrators estimated to number more than a thousand later marched on Victory Monument, a focal point in the capital for dissent.

Asked if she was afraid of the response of an army that has massacred protesters several times during Thailand’s coup-plagued modern history, Chat, a teacher, said: “We don’t care. We are already half dead. We cannot take it any more.”

Human Rights Watch, the New York-based campaign group, accused the junta of playing a power game to destroy Mr Thaksin, a former premier who outflanked the old urban elite and won power thanks to the support of millions of rural Thais grateful for his subsidised healthcare, crop-growing and microcredit schemes.

“The military and others in Thailand are so desperate to rid the country of Thaksin and his allies that they are now holding the entire country hostage to their whims,” said Brad Adams, Human Rights Watch Asia director.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e7a9600-e3ec-11e3-a73a-00144feabdc0.html

• Like 1

The Nation? You've got to be kidding me! The Nation is notorious for being a one-sided cesspool of propaganda. They're so bad, there's actually a website called "Not the Nation" where they write parodies of things and events in Maithailand. It's pretty funny.

Anyway, the fact that this website is aligned with The Nation gives me one more reason to avoid it like the plague it is. You sicken me Thaivisa.com mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

Pooket

If that is how you feel then

To quote a true AMERICAN MARINE HERO and future Hollywood star Corporal Stitch Jones

Don't go away mad, Just go away.cheesy.gif

facepalm.gifwhistling.gif Mods i know it isn ot nice but hey we need a little levitycheesy.gif

It's strange how the international community are condemning the Army of staging a coup. If they study the situation, democracy has already been raped by this govt. I don't see them standing up for individual rights when it comes to the protesters being killed and constantly attacked. Why didn't they condemn the government for sitting on the hands and not catching at least one person responsible. That in itself is a form of suppression from the freedom of speech. People are afraid to go and demonstrate in fear of loosing their lives. I don't hear the international community speaking up about this at all. If they did, then the government hid it from the public. USA needs to come to grip with reality and see things for what they are and what they have been told.

From Michael Yon's Facebook followers ...who speaks for a good 99% of the Thai people it seems ...

Wannapong Amornrat A letter from Thai people to the international communities.
Hello friends . We, thai people, would like you to understand what's going on after the Thai military took control of the country. We, the majority of Thai citizens, millions and millions Tha
is are happy to see it happened. However, there are some small groups of people,with the support from those corrupt Thais living abroad, are trying to discredit the well intention of the military. The number of those who go out to protest the coup are small and they are paid for by Thaksin ,a criminal living in exile. The majority of the Thais welcome the coup.
1. The coup d'état is necessary for the upcoming true democracy in Thailand . Ninety -nine per cent of the population welcomes it along with the martial law. The coup came out to resolve the crisis, will initiate a reform and then hold an election. This will bring a true democracy to our country.
2. The coup did not come out to rid the democracy or to gain military power. They had to do it to help the country from chaos and civil war, designed by Thaksin
3. The protesters are supported and paid for by the Thaksin regime. Thaksin and his cronies are the corrupt officials who use the political power to steal the country it's wealth.
4. What is happening in Thailand is our internal affair. We can resolve our crisis ourselves.
We do not wish to see any interference from outside in any case.
With respect,
The people of Thailand

The coup is cool! Dontcha just love it?

Anyone who opposes the coup should be shot! I just loaded my gun for the purpose and nearly shot myself... until I realised that I'd changed my mind and love the coup.

Wow that was a close call.

So remember guys, before you decide to oppose this coup, slap yourself around a bit, waterboard yourself - and then you'll change your minds.

Now, don't go believing that "The Matrix" stuff !

From Michael Yon's Facebook followers ...who speaks for a good 99% of the Thai people it seems ...

Hello friends . We, thai people, would like you to understand what's going on after the Thai military took control of the country. We, the majority of Thai citizens, millions and millions Thais are happy to see it happened. However, there are some small groups of people,with the support from those corrupt Thais living abroad, are trying to discredit the well intention of the military. The number of those who go out to protest the coup are small and they are paid for by Thaksin ,a criminal living in exile. The majority of the Thais welcome the coup.

1. The coup d'état is necessary for the upcoming true democracy in Thailand . Ninety -nine per cent of the population welcomes it along with the martial law. The coup came out to resolve the crisis, will initiate a reform and then hold an election. This will bring a true democracy to our country.

2. The coup did not come out to rid the democracy or to gain military power. They had to do it to help the country from chaos and civil war, designed by Thaksin

3. The protesters are supported and paid for by the Thaksin regime. Thaksin and his cronies are the corrupt officials who use the political power to steal the country it's wealth.

4. What is happening in Thailand is our internal affair. We can resolve our crisis ourselves.

With respect,

The people of Thailand

Believe the Yon. The Yon is wise, the Yon is good. The Yon reveals the truth: "The coup d'état is necessary for the upcoming true democracy in Thailand".

Dwell on the Yon's words, all 12 of them - or 13, depending if you think the truncated "de" is a separate word, or not. I would argue that it is not, because dozen is good, while 13 is unlucky.

So believe the Yon's dozen wise words, and above all believe in the "true coup". The true coup will set you free, out of the clutches of the evil troll Thaksin who dwells in the outer darkness.

Oh yes, we all love fairy stories, especially those from the Yon.

This is supposed to be a class war, not a 'Thaksin vs the rest of Thailand' battle. However, since the coup began anti-coup people have been upstaged by events in the south. It appears that those who are willing to risk more than a couple of late nights at their favorite bar in order to push back the powers of the putsch are few and far between.

Still, Coupmaster P needs to get things done and dusted before anti-coup sentiment gains any traction. I just can't help feeling the nation's problems will not be solved in a week or two of forced reconciliation between its political leaders.

Hello friends . We, thai people, would like you to understand what's going on after the Thai military took control of the country. We, the majority of Thai citizens, millions and millions Thais are happy to see it happened. However, there are some small groups of people,with the support from those corrupt Thais living abroad, are trying to discredit the well intention of the military. The number of those who go out to protest the coup are small and they are paid for by Thaksin ,a criminal living in exile. The majority of the Thais welcome the coup.

With respect,

The people of Thailand

99% of the people support the coup. Only the 1% of red shirts are anti-coup.

Yet, Thaksin has not lost an election in 14 years.

Some interesting logic.

US cancels war games with thais

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/us-cancels-military-exercises-thailand

BANGKOK — The United States has cancelled an ongoing military training exercise with Thailand and said it is reconsidering its military relationship with its ally due to the country’s coup.

The move came hours before Thailand’s junta took its first steps in revitalising a battered economy, saying nearly a million farmers owed money under the previous government’s failed rice-subsidy scheme would be paid within a month. The military also sought to quell growing protests fuelled by social media, saying anyone violating orders would be tried in military court, as more than 2,000 anti-coup protesters gathered in Bangkok

the USA in particular should keep their interfering nose out of it totally as should rest of world USA in particular have caused more deaths and problems by putting their big nose where it does not belong. They adel bathed and hated by most of world and only yeti involved to save their own interests. I and many others hate them for deaths and misery they have caused.

And yet they continue in Ukraine where quite rightly the people of Crimea don't want anything to do with fascist regime in Kiev that USA put in power. ThE USA are hypercritical bastards having invoked a lot of military coup's when it suited their interests

Anyway USA europe and rest wont do anything since they are has been powers and sooner they realise that the better

What??? You expecting an invasion or something?

With respect,

The people of Thailand

It reads almost like written by someone in a cult.

With respect,

The people of Thailand

It reads almost like written by someone in a cult.

It is spreading all over Facebook - all us farangs consider ourselves told. Sadly this degree of infantile petulant analysis doesn't bode well for understanding and reconciliation in this divided nation.

So let me get this striaght...The US should provide aid to Thailand, massive military support, disaster relief, and much more....but should shut up and go away while Thailand destroys it's democracy???

I don't want to discuss democracy, red or yellow Thai politics, but:

The financial aid from abroad to Thailand is minuscule nowadays. Thailand paid off the IMF debt several years ago and can survive without that massive military support from the USA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reply to Bluefunk...

I wish the teenagers in the UK, US & Europe could rant like that. Maybe their parents wouldn't be so opinionated and narrow minded...

Just because you sleep in a bed in Thailand doesn't make you an expert on Thai affairs. Especially when you wake up every morning with the same predjucies and opinions you were probably too scared to voice 'at home'.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm guessing you are talking to me [despite your deliberate change of my user name, the pause is after the s]. Though you clearly know nothing about myself you choose to believe I am afraid to express my opinions at home [though as I live here and have done so for 12 years now, this is my home]. You could not be more wrong.

I express my views where ever and however I choose, I said the OP report had a point in that the opinions in the worlds press were one sided, especially Mr. Head's, however the article was in general weakly written and full of whinging, whining 'we're so special BS'. That was a poor piece of journalism.

As to my expertise, I can think and do so. I can see what is going on and know BS when I see it. The OP is clearly in that category. I don't judge Thais, Thailand or articles on the country in general, I judge things on how they are and how they present their case. In this case it was bordering on the cringing, it was self centered, indulgent nonsense, with no clear underlying rational argument, just like a teens angst filled rants, 'full of fire and fury, signifying nothing'.

Edited by Bluespunk

This article's points are so unfocused and its facts only opinion, conjecture, propaganda, and even lies. It feels like the author is grabbing for straws to find something to throw at people who actually have a point. Also, the views of the author are reflecting the views of less than half of the population (the ones that can't win an election). With the army censoring and controlling media, expect to hear more propaganda like this from the "majority" than things opposed to it.

The western world understands democracy and rights better than Thailand does, period. What the western world doesn't understand is that the majority of Thais are selfish to the point of shamelessness for their poorly justified actions and ultimately uncaring and unreasonable towards anyone who does not support them. They are ruthless and merciless when the smiles are turned off. Human rights and much less democratic rights are the last thing on the list to uphold. They are (both sides) inherently corrupt and will struggle to hold power in order to control the corruption for themselves. The aid from the US is a drop in the bucket compared to the cream on the Thai GDP.

Foreign countries have a right to point out what Thailand is doing wrong as far as democracy and human rights go. But it is true that they do not understand the real situation in Thailand. In fact, Thais don't give a damn what the west says when there is so much more power and money to be had than the tiny aid packages. And if the west criticizes Thailand, they will just end up pissing off and alienating Thailand towards them, especially when the criticism is correct. Because... the truth hurts, don't it?

Edited by dwcrist

Wouldn't it be helpful for once if the US and that quite ineffective outfit, the UN actually understood a situation and supported it or at least remained neutral rather than condone it? We have been putting up with Suthep's and Jaturong's nonense for far too long and it has impacted our business and personal lives for the worse as the country suffers. So, Mr Kerry and Mr Moon, wake up and think and spare a thought for the real people who have been trying to make an honest living and have suffered for months because of this impasse. As you obviously can't help the situation, you really should keep quiet. As we say, if you are not part of the solution, then don't become part of the problem.

I read in a paper this morning that Mr Kerry has warned Thailand that it may withhold the $ 10 million loan it was just about to give to the country so I believe the yanks do have the right to voice an opinion on the recent events !

No they don't have a right of opinion and the Thai's should tell the Yanks to stuff their (bribery money/money for favours) in an uncomfortable place!!!!

It's not just a $10 million dollar loan.

If the US isn't still the biggest, it's one of Thailand's biggest trading partners and, in case you forgot, Thailand derives the majority of its GDP from exports.

The US has as much right to warn Thailand as I do to tell my mobile provider that I'll cancel my service and go with their competitor if they don't stop business practices I find objectionable. The US isn't threatening to send troops to Thailand and invade. They're a customer of Thai products. They're voicing a concern about how Thailand is being run and the threat they have to hand over Thailand is cutting off their business with the country.

That may seem like a contrived example because nobody would change their policy over losing a single customer, but let's say that instead of me being a private mobile services consumer, I was a large corporation with 50,000 employees that spends millions of dollars a year on mobile services. That's what the US is in this situation. A customer of Thailand's who spends a lot of money with Thailand and can shut off that flow of cash very quickly if it doesn't like what it sees in Thailand.

I'm not saying that the coup is right or wrong. I'm strictly addressing the fact that any country that does business with Thailand has a right to voice it's concerns.

If we were to follow SICHONSTEVE's logic, this entire website shouldn't exist because none of us have a right to express our opinions about Thai matters, no?

Then why have they misjudged the situation so much. This coup is for the betterment of Thailand and they simply cannot see that!!!

What is wrong with them? Are they thick or something.

I'm sorry, but if they had a real understanding of Thailand rather than military coup = bad and elections now = right way to go then I would listen to what to their opinions are, but until they start to be sensible and change their mistaken views they should stay out of it!!!

I would imagine that the rice farmers are rather delighted about this coup as they will get their money soon - General Prayuth has made that his first priority.

• Like 1