East Pattaya man stands alone against traffic chaos

Rimmer

East Pattaya man stands alone against traffic chaos

n12In.jpg
PATTAYA:--Amid the honking cars, buzzing motorbikes and belching trucks that traverse Pattaya’s two railroad-access roads, a 52-year-old local resident stands alone, trying to ease the chaos.

Manit Bantherng is not a traffic cop. He’s simply a man trying to bring peace to others. For six years, he’s directed traffic on Soi Nernplabwan during the morning school hours and afternoon rush, not collecting a single baht until a local market showed its appreciation and began paying him a stipend.
- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/east-pattaya-man-stands-alone-against-traffic-chaos-37769#sthash.LA1YU2K9.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-05-23 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Give a Thai some paramilitary gear and he will feel like a king for a day. Give him a whistle and he can direct traffic for life.

not just Thais, theres at least 3 farang that wear the same uniform and give out traffic tickets in Pattaya

• Like 1

This prick tried to pull me off my bike not long ago. Both he and I were lucky his grip on my t-shirt was not sufficient.

Probably because you ignored the " pricks" directions.

Well you would know wouldn't you. you seem to know everything.

• Like 1

This prick tried to pull me off my bike not long ago. Both he and I were lucky his grip on my t-shirt was not sufficient.

Come on, just tell us why a traffic regulator would try to pull you off your bike, if you were following his directions.

• Like 2

Come on, just tell us why a traffic regulator would try to pull you off your bike, if you were following his directions.

My 2 bits worth: I don't care who you are. You do not try to pull anyone off of a bike... not ever, unless you are a megalomaniac prick.

He is a civilian, not Law Enforcementl. He needs to take his delusions down a notch.

The man seems to deserve some form of appreciation for his efforts; but by no means should anyone ever attempt idiotic stunts like that.

My 2 bits worth: I don't care who you are. You do not try to pull anyone off of a bike... not ever, unless you are a megalomaniac prick.

He is a civilian, not Law Enforcementl. He needs to take his delusions down a notch.

The man seems to deserve some form of appreciation for his efforts; but by no means should anyone ever attempt idiotic stunts like that.

If you take a look at Spoonman's posting history you will realize, that it most probably didn't happen at all, or that the event happened in a complete different context as he let it shine out here.

The school crossing in front of our kids school: Generally has a car parked on it. Cars with kids stop on the crossing so you have to go round them. Access to the crossing is blocked by a restaurant, you have to walk on the road to get there. The policeman there does occasionally tell traffic to stop, they may or may not ignore him. We struggle across every morning. The police officer doesn't do anything to get the crossing used correctly. I dream of buying a whistle and doing his job for him, probably get beaten to a pulp pretty quickly.

If you take a look at Spoonman's posting history you will realize, that it most probably didn't happen at all, or that the event happened in a complete different context as he let it shine out here.

I thought about that, but did not think about researching his posting history. A claim of being grabbed by a pedestrian whilst operating a motorbike is either over the top, or has some substance.

I guess my response was conditional, and largely based on the "if".

Cheers.

• Like 1

I will post the circumstances even though Jesse will call me a liar and that it did not happen. thats his style.

Travelling on the bypass I approached the nern plub wan intersection to head straight through. I was in the left Lane and old matey had the traffic stopped, I filtered up the left side until I got the the front and noticed police on the otherside pulling over scooters. Knowing that the police here love to pull me over an extort money I moved over to the right hand lane.

A policeman noticed me, pointed and yelled out something to old matey.

He changed his signals to let us go but moved in front of me pointing to go over to the police. I gave a gentle swerve to the right to go round him when he lurch and tried to grab me on the shoulder as I went past.

Real nice chappie he is.

Edited by Spoonman

I will post the circumstances even though Jesse will call me a liar and that it did not happen. thats his style.

Travelling on the bypass I approached the nern plub wan intersection to head straight through. I was in the left Lane and old matey had the traffic stopped, I filtered up the left side until I got the the front and noticed police on the otherside pulling over scooters. Knowing that the police here love to pull me over an extort money I moved over to the right hand lane.

He changed his signals to let us go but moved in front of me pointing to go over to the police. I gave a gentle swerve to the right to go round him when he lurch and tried to grab me on the shoulder as I went past.

Real nice chappie he is.

So it is as I said, you disobeyed orders.

The guy was given an order by a policeman to stop you, and of which you were well aware according to your post, but you chose to ignore the laws of Thailand.

You're lucky the policeman didn't shoot you.

• Like 2

Real nice chappie he is.

The guy was given an order by a policeman to stop you, and of which you were well aware according to your post, but you chose to ignore the laws of Thailand.

what order did I disobey?

You reply is typical of you though and not surprising at all.

Edited by Spoonman

Real nice chappie he is.

Sounds like you suffer from acute memory loss if you don't even remember what you posted only a few minutes ago

Knowing that the police here love to pull me over an extort money I moved over to the right hand lane.

Real nice chappie he is.

You wrote it yourself: Knowing that the police here love to pull me over an extort money I moved over to the right hand lane

You are not allowed to move over to the right hand lane , it's idiots like you that sooner or later will end up in a traffic accident.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Real nice chappie he is.

You wrote it yourself: Knowing that the police here love to pull me over an extort money I moved over to the right hand lane

You are not allowed to move over to the right hand lane , it's idiots like you that sooner or later will end up in a traffic accident.

When did it become illegal to move to the right hand lane ?

Edited by Spoonman

Real nice chappie he is.

When did it become illegal to move to the right hand lane ?

Funny how the story has changed from the dramatic sounding he tried to pull you off your bike to the now he stepped in front to block your stopped motocye. I guess the real question is why you are trying to avoid a police checkpoint I the first place: No license, no insurance, no helmet, carrying contraband...? If you are in compliance with the law, there is nothing to extort from you.

Whatever the case, I'm grateful for this fella taking it on himself to bring some order to this often chaotic intersection.

• Like 1