How safe are we going to be on our bikes now?

AllanB

I was out on the scoot last night and got chased by 87 thugs with chainsaws and machete's. be careful out there guys and gals.

No wonder you were chased. You were riding a scooter.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was out on the scoot last night and got chased by 87 thugs with chainsaws and machete's. be careful out there guys and gals.

No wonder you were chased. You were riding a scooter.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was gunna take the bike but I feared for my life.

Trollish, rumor-mongering post, intent on creating fear.

How is it trolling, it is the subject matter, how is it rumour mongering, the two previous incidents were real and how is it creating fear, when the threat is real?

There will be a time, before this is all over, when mobs will take to the streets and looking for an easy target. It should be realised and discussed and I for one will leave my bike at home when trouble starts in KK.

If you think it is all <deleted>, ignore the whole thing and go on as normal.

I got caught up in a mini riot in Copenhagen (of all places) a few years back, it only involved a few dozen people and that was scary. A bigger riot involving hundreds would be much worse and we don't exactly blend in with the locals and on bikes too, well.

Stay home and pull the blinds closed and sleep "under"the bed.If you are still concerned ring Yinny's driver and borrow the bullet proof car,she wont need it for a few days,and go straight to Swampy and go home.

During Songkran, I got very good at getting ice water up under the face shields...... only day for deserved revenge on motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are wasps that do not wipe.

Now here's a guy who deserves a beating and unfortunately probably won't receive one, and we poor motorcyclists are the ones at risk...wink.png

How right you are, I would sure like to meet him if I was riding my Motorbike at Songkran.

• Like 1

During Songkran, I got very good at getting ice water up under the face shields...... only day for deserved revenge on motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are wasps that do not wipe.

This post has got to be a troll.

I see your point, though you can't possibly know the OP's intention. Given past behavior on TV though, rumor and fear would be the only result. Nobody can predict what a mob may do, pointless to speculate. If I say, "Hell yeah, hide for a month" and it's totally quiet, OP (and whoever behaves the same) loses a month of his life. If I say, "Don't worry about a thing" and he's killed by an angry mob tomorrow, then, oops, my bad. Either way, I (and all of you) have no way of knowing.

I think it would not be a problem to go out on your bike, just use common sense!

- Stay away from mobs.

- Stay away from red shirts.

- Don't get to close to any army post (if the protesters get there)

- Don't be out after dark.

Then it should not be more dangerous than usual to go out on your bike!

• Like 1

Never heard of such attacks, but imo an interesting question.

As tourists are allowed to be on the streets if needed i thought it would be perfect to ride on empty Bangkok streets at night now. But maybe i am wrong w00t.gif

Here in Bangkok area i feel safe. If you live in a redshirt area maybe you should wear red under your jacket and show it to the angry mob if they start to attack you. But Allan, with your old bike you should have no problem anyway. They wont think you are rich wink.png

Just be off street by 2200hrs! They (Army) took a friend of mine's Harley Chopper... He might get back... He might loose it! When stopped at 2315hrs, he was polite... not Drunk as usual... Explained he needed to get Milk and Ice and Juice for Family. They took him off Bike and in Truck took him to 7/11 and then Home (He was without Bike) Today he appear to explain to Army... May not get Very Nice Bike back (If someone like it!!)
  • Like 1

As tourists are allowed to be on the streets if needed i thought it would be perfect to ride on empty Bangkok streets at night now. But maybe i am wrong w00t.gif

Here in Bangkok area i feel safe. If you live in a redshirt area maybe you should wear red under your jacket and show it to the angry mob if they start to attack you. But Allan, with your old bike you should have no problem anyway. They wont think you are rich wink.png

Just be off street by 2200hrs! They (Army) took a friend of mine's Harley Chopper... He might get back... He might loose it! When stopped at 2315hrs, he was polite... not Drunk as usual... Explained he needed to get Milk and Ice and Juice for Family. They took him off Bike and in Truck took him to 7/11 and then Home (He was without Bike) Today he appear to explain to Army... May not get Very Nice Bike back (If someone like it!!)

"They took him off Bike and in Truck took him to 7/11 and then Home"

Nice service. Guess he will get his bike back without problems. Army doesnt want to lose face in such situation. Please report back.

• Like 1

Today he appear to explain to Army... May not get Very Nice Bike back (If someone like it!!)

It sounds like the army was quite accommodating and helpful, but of course you had to insert the nonsense about someone keeping/stealing his bike because they like it. If there's no reason to Thai bash, just make up one to feed the bigots. Sad really.

It's very very unusual in Isaan to be treated with any form of negativity or hate unless you take offence to being called farang. Everyone is mostly curious and polite

I've been asked for my political views in the past, but always played dumb and refrain from getting involved (albeit I have my own thoughts on the matter)

Along with the North, Isaan has to be the most friendliest of regions!!!

Edited by Geespot

Keep an orange motorcycle taxi jacket in your paniers....there is a shop selling them in Prakhanong..... Put it on with a full face helmet and everyone will believe you to be Thai. This has the added benefit of you being able to charge quite a good fee should any potential passengers flag you down. Make sure you have a work permit though, just to be on the safe side.....

Neither is being stupid or absolutist; go flog your BS elsewhere.

but the answer is so simple--not safe at all, riding bikes in Thailand, anytime, is dangerous

Sent - how is not that important...

The BIB are still the main worry.

As the BIB have been pushed out of some of their lucrative areas by the army, I've noticed they're a little more aggressive at roadblocks. One mafia-type in a peaked cap tried to pull me off (my bike!) as I rode past his shakedown.,er.. I mean checkpoint on that Boromwhatchamacallit Rd on the way to Kanchanaburi this past Friday.

• Like 1