Thailand's Internet service providers report to NBTC

webfact

Internet service providers report to NBTC

nbtc_tem-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Seventy-six Internet service providers from among a total of 108 reported to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Friday with promises to cooperate with the military junta to monitor and curb provocative messages on the Internet.

All Internet service providers who either have their own network infrastructure or rent them to provide services were ordered to report to the NBTC for cooperation to help prevent users from using the Internet channel to stir up public disorder and unrest by sending provocative messages for national security reason.

32 providers did not show up today.

At the meeting, Army assistant chief-of-staff Lt Gen Panuwat Narkwong asked for cooperation from the service providers to stop all provocative messages that could incite violence and defiance of the law.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/internet-service-providers-report-nbtc/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-23

Internet providers to refrain from messages which may incite violence

BANGKOK, 23 May 2014 (NNT) - The National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (POMC) has made a request to all internet providers, who have their own network, to report to the Office of The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). Many internet providing entrepreneurs have already cooperated and reported to the office; 76 companies have shown up out of 108 companies.

All internet providing companies are requested to broadcast only accurate information. Moreover all companies must refrain from messages which could incite the public to cause violence in the Kingdom or affect national security.

According to the POMC announcement, the people who are requested to report in person, must present themselves at the Army Club on Vibhavadi road. The persons mentioned consist of 26 provincial governors in the 1st Army area, permanent secretaries, directors general, and leaders of independent organizations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-23 footer_n.gif

We should be thankful we still have internet. I am unable to watch my favourite sport on tv, rugby, but now watching via the internet. I reckon they should at least allow entertainment channels back on as the army can still make sure everyone sees their announcements.

We should be thankful we still have internet. I am unable to watch my favourite sport on tv, rugby, but now watching via the internet. I reckon they should at least allow entertainment channels back on as the army can still make sure everyone sees their announcements.

well aside from sports, there's nothing on tv here anyway...just reruns of old movies and documenteries

Agreed. My girlfriend was just complaining about this.

At least let the TV stations show sports, movies, 'normal' TV shows. Just no political commentary or interviews. But they should also allow 'normal' news.

What, the ISP's are going to read all messages and decided whether to allow them or not, better get some more English reading staff!!

Reminds me of the filter the UK ISPs put in place to prevent perverts and ended up filtering out all posts with SCUNTHORPE in the text!!

• Like 2

I think this is pretty much dead on. This has nothing to do with democracy or corruption. It's about one side wanting power and being unable to take it any other way, then putting together whatever spin they can on it. The sad thing is that intelligent people on this forum are somehow bamboozled into buying into it simply because of their dislike for Thaksin. I'm not af an of Thaksin, but I am a fan of democracy. And this is as far from it as you can possibly get.

And you really think you had democracy when thaksin and his thieves ruled the roost.dont think so, they just did as they wanted and the Thai people followed (not all, luckily for Thailand)

I think this is pretty much dead on. This has nothing to do with democracy or corruption. It's about one side wanting power and being unable to take it any other way, then putting together whatever spin they can on it. The sad thing is that intelligent people on this forum are somehow bamboozled into buying into it simply because of their dislike for Thaksin. I'm not af an of Thaksin, but I am a fan of democracy. And this is as far from it as you can possibly get.

And you really think you had democracy when thaksin and his thieves ruled the roost.dont think so, they just did as they wanted and the Thai people followed (not all, luckily for Thailand)

Democracy is about electing officials and allowing them to do their job. His party wins election after election and then the other side finds a way to remove them. You can say all you want about vote buying, but that happens on both sides, and while people will generally take the money, that doesn't mean they actually go in and vote that way. Meanwhile your going to sit here and ignore Suthep's people blocking polls, or the fact that both sides use paid protestors.

If you want to clean up democracy, clean up the election process and the corruption. The corruption clearly happens on both sides of the fence. I felt like Yingluck running for office was a farce, just to capitolize on Thaksin's name, when she had little in the way of real experience. That having been said, the people voice their opinions with their votes. But the politicians are never allowed to carry out their terms. The election process is democratic. The coups are not. Blocking voting booths is not. Trying to stack the election process in a way to allow the minority to win an election (the whole college education bs) is not. The Democrats are about as undemocratic as you can get. That is a fact.

That certainly doesn't mean the other side is right. But they are more right in this case. They get elected only to get ousted. Then watch as unelected people are appointed. In what alternate universe is that democratic? And why is it that the minority gets to have their way over the majority simply because they always have?

Democracy is not about "electing officials and allowing them to do their job" - being elected is one tiny piece of democracy. in a sentence, democracy is about governing for the people. In a modern democracy, this means everything from rights to free canvassing, free (within legal limits) speech, and free and fair elections, to adherence to the constitution, following parliamentary ethics, rules and guidelines, serving with integrity and selflessness - and serving one master, the people. Bad democracy is only about elections - many here seem to have espoused that and state it regularly (like you have here), it is often quite rightly replied to with a list of countries and regimes, past and present, which have truly bad/authoritarian governments AND elected officials - including most of the worst in history.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Sounds more and more like this military rule is going to be in place for some time

You just worked that out?

This is going to be way more serious than the 2006 breeze - start looking for censorship of everything and the VERY long haul.

This is in place for a year, maybe two.

Democracy is about electing officials and allowing them to do their job. His party wins election after election and then the other side finds a way to remove them. You can say all you want about vote buying, but that happens on both sides, and while people will generally take the money, that doesn't mean they actually go in and vote that way. Meanwhile your going to sit here and ignore Suthep's people blocking polls, or the fact that both sides use paid protestors.

If you want to clean up democracy, clean up the election process and the corruption. The corruption clearly happens on both sides of the fence. I felt like Yingluck running for office was a farce, just to capitolize on Thaksin's name, when she had little in the way of real experience. That having been said, the people voice their opinions with their votes. But the politicians are never allowed to carry out their terms. The election process is democratic. The coups are not. Blocking voting booths is not. Trying to stack the election process in a way to allow the minority to win an election (the whole college education bs) is not. The Democrats are about as undemocratic as you can get. That is a fact.

That certainly doesn't mean the other side is right. But they are more right in this case. They get elected only to get ousted. Then watch as unelected people are appointed. In what alternate universe is that democratic? And why is it that the minority gets to have their way over the majority simply because they always have?

I always get a kick out of these guys that start with "I'm not a fan of Thaksin, but..." And then launch right into a Robert Amsterdam press release!

I have little respect for people who are swooning over a corrupt egomaniac fugitive. But I have nothing but disdain for people who don't even own up to their little man-crush on Mr. T..

Democracy is not about "electing officials and allowing them to do their job" - being elected is one tiny piece of democracy. in a sentence, democracy is about governing for the people. In a modern democracy, this means everything from rights to free canvassing, free (within legal limits) speech, and free and fair elections, to adherence to the constitution, following parliamentary ethics, rules and guidelines, serving with integrity and selflessness - and serving one master, the people. Bad democracy is only about elections - many here seem to have espoused that and state it regularly (like you have here), it is often quite rightly replied to with a list of countries and regimes, past and present, which have truly bad/authoritarian governments AND elected officials - including most of the worst in history.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't obey the rules. But the fact of the matter is, both sides are corrupt. Everyone knows that. Yet only one side continually wins elections. That obviously says that the majority prefer that side. Does it not? We all know what the next move is. It's an Abhisit type situation all over again. And we know why it comes to that situation, because the other side can't win. Therein lies the problem. Rather than adjusting their policies to gain the favor of the majority and justly ruling the country, we get coups, and whatever can be done in power to never allow anyone to serve a full term. That needs to stop. And that will involve compromise on both sides. But blocking voting booths, asking for an unelected council, refusing to hold elections, etc is the furthest thing from democracy imaginable.

I always get a kick out of these guys that start with "I'm not a fan of Thaksin, but..." And then launch right into a Robert Amsterdam press release!

I have little respect for people who are swooning over a corrupt egomaniac fugitive. But I have nothing but disdain for people who don't even own up to their little man-crush on Mr. T..

I respect democracy. It has nothing to do with Thaksin. He was the prime minister when I arrived here, and I was not a fan of him. I was happy to see him go, because more than anything else I felt like he was corrupt. What the last ten years have shown me is that they are all corrupt. And while I'll never be a fan of the Shinawatras, the majority of this country is obviously a fan of their policies. The one time in that period that the democrats have been in power, they got in without an election, then delayed elections as long as they could. And I see a repeat of that getting ready to happen. My fear is that the militant side of the red shirts has more fuel for the fire this time around. Sadly, at the rate this situation is going I think there is a very real chance of conflict in the future, and do any of us really want to see that happen?

• Like 2