Legitemizing child for Non-O Visa

Hi

I'm not married but have my name on the child's birth certificate. Both the mother and child (8 years old) have no problem helping me do this. My question is, how do i get a court to give me the document (and what is this document called?) that will enable me to get the Non-O visa based on supporting a Thai child that I can extend for a year?

Should I hire a lawyer? Just go to a court and ask around? What would be the procedure, rough cost and timeframe? I'm in Samut Prakarn but if anyone has experience of doing this anywhere, any details would be very welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

15P

You will need a lawyer.

With the Mother's help it is a straight forward process needing 2/3 trips to the court.

Should cost less than 15,00 THB if I recollect from what a friend who did this recently told me.

As your daughter is already 8, it is worth going to your Amphoe with your wife and child and asking if they and/or your Poo Yai Bahn can sign in lieu of producing the Court Papers.

Sorry - I don't have the Thai name for the document, but it is for "Legalisation/Recognition of the Father under Thai Law'

You will need a lawyer.

With the Mother's help it is a straight forward process needing 2/3 trips to the court.

Should cost less than 15,00 THB if I recollect from what a friend who did this recently told me.

As your daughter is already 8, it is worth going to your Amphoe with your wife and child and asking if they and/or your Poo Yai Bahn can sign in lieu of producing the Court Papers.

Sorry - I don't have the Thai name for the document, but it is for "Legalisation/Recognition of the Father under Thai Law'

Thanks for that, I assume you mean 15,000.

A while ago I got a document from an Amphoe that confirmed me as the father, with the signatures of myself, my wife and my son together with 3 officials form the Amphoe. However when I later went to the Thai embassy in London and presented it in the hope of getting a Non-O, they weren't interested at all. They needed something from a court, so I didn't get the Non-O.

Cheers

PS - if anyone in the Bang Na / Samrong areas knows a lawyer who can do this I'd be most grateful for a lead.

You will need a lawyer.

A while ago I got a document from an Amphoe that confirmed me as the father, with the signatures of myself, my wife and my son together with 3 officials form the Amphoe. However when I later went to the Thai embassy in London and presented it in the hope of getting a Non-O, they weren't interested at all. They needed something from a court, so I didn't get the Non-O.

Cheers

PS - if anyone in the Bang Na / Samrong areas knows a lawyer who can do this I'd be most grateful for a lead.

Just goes to show how out of touch with Thai Law that the Embassies can be.

A major intent/purpose of the legitimisation document is to enable you to register at Amphoe as your child's Father under Thai law!

However if the Embassy wants that/not this, then there you go - you need that!

Remember elsewhere you would need different and if you have the 400k, 40k pcm, then you might well be able to get the National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.18 extension (Thai Family) with out further recourse to the courts.

Re lawyer - outside of HKT I don't have a clue.

Since your child is over 7 years old the legitimization can be done at the Amphoe.

See How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Legitimization is needed to obtain a multiple entry non-o visa based upon having a Thai a child at most embassies and consulates. You might find an honorary consulate that would do it without it.

It is also required to obtain an extension of stay at immigration based upon being the parent of a Thai child.

You will need a lawyer.

Cheers

You don't have to go through courts it you have done it through the Amphoe. The embassy in London is one of worst in the world for such things.

I suggest you go to Savannakhet Laos with the document you have and apply for the non-o. You will need the birth certificate, the legitimization document from the Amphoe plus you child's house book.

If you all you want is a single entry you can get that at most nearby embassies or consulates. They issue them without the legitimization being done.

Then you can go to immigration with the legitimization document from the Amphoe and a apply for the extension of stay.

I couldn't get mine done at the Amphoe despite my daughter being over 7 years old, having my name on both Thai and UK birth certificates, her being with me and her mother being deceased, so I did it through the Family court with the aid of a lawyer who charged me about 15,000 which for what he did seemed a lot, but really you pay for the knowledge of the process and not the actual leg work.

The court process took about 3 months (Chiang Rai) but was relatively painless. It involved making a statement with the lawyer, who then filed the document at the court where an office interviewed me and pretty much duplicated the original statement word for word. Then there was a period of time to wait while my request was advertised in some legal notice board of some type giving anybody who wants to the opportunity to "object", and then a simple hearing in front of 3 Judges, who had a friendly chat with my daughter (in Thai), and agreed the order.

Only bit of the whole process I didn't really like was having to give information about my relationship with and how I met her mother and how much money I make to the court officer but I understand why they need to ask such questions and as a parent I appreciate that they put the child's interests first.

I then went back to the Amphoe with my court document and they happily gave me their document also to complete my set.

I didn't do this just for visa reasons, but I would be lying if I said that it hasn't been very useful in that regard.

Hope this helps.

I couldn't get mine done at the Amphoe despite my daughter being over 7 years old, having my name on both Thai and UK birth certificates, her being with me and her mother being deceased, so I did it through the Family court with the aid of a lawyer who charged me about 15,000 which for what he did seemed a lot, but really you pay for the knowledge of the process and not the actual leg work.

The court process took about 3 months (Chiang Rai) but was relatively painless. It involved making a statement with the lawyer, who then filed the document at the court where an office interviewed me and pretty much duplicated the original statement word for word. Then there was a period of time to wait while my request was advertised in some legal notice board of some type giving anybody who wants to the opportunity to "object", and then a simple hearing in front of 3 Judges, who had a friendly chat with my daughter (in Thai), and agreed the order.

Only bit of the whole process I didn't really like was having to give information about my relationship with and how I met her mother and how much money I make to the court officer but I understand why they need to ask such questions and as a parent I appreciate that they put the child's interests first.

I then went back to the Amphoe with my court document and they happily gave me their document also to complete my set.

I didn't do this just for visa reasons, but I would be lying if I said that it hasn't been very useful in that regard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. That's a great help.