Any Macbook Owners In Cm Area?

sleepyjohn

The title says it all....

I run an iBook but need sometimes to run a couple of Windows applications, and the Blackbook at first glance might fill the bill.

I am however loathe to jump in without getting a bit of personal experience.....anyone around Chiangmai got one yet?

thanx in advance Sleepyjohn

Im also an Apple bod, and will be holding off buying the new Macbook, or Macbook pro for at leatsy 6 months. As with any tech probict, the first few batches always have niggles, wether its computers, fones or whatever.

In the meantime, you can always run your windows progs through Virtual Pc.

Plus, in Thailand, Apple is sooooo, expensive. It really is generally cheaper (including the airfare) to buy in Singapore.

If you do buy, keep us informed as to how it goes.

Regards

Im also an Apple bod, and will be holding off buying the new Macbook, or Macbook pro for at leatsy 6 months. As with any tech probict, the first few batches always have niggles, wether its computers, fones or whatever.

Plus, in Thailand, Apple is sooooo, expensive. It really is generally cheaper (including the airfare) to buy in Singapore.

Regards

I only have 256 RAM, not enough for Virtual PC. My Combo Drive is OoO. The battery while still working shows the first signs of age.

I could upgrade the RAM for quite a price but don't think it's worth it.

No I think I'll keep this as a second laptop then I can run 4 screens and include Windows.

By the way here's a tip I was told. If you have to use Virtual PC use 2000 not XP apparently it loads much faster and runs much better.

As for price...actually I believe the cheapest one here is quoted at 42,500 and in America it says starts at $1099......well that's about the same actually..... Have i got it right?

Regards

I only have 256 RAM, not enough for Virtual PC. My Combo Drive is OoO. The battery while still working shows the first signs of age.

I could upgrade the RAM for quite a price but don't think it's worth it.

No I think I'll keep this as a second laptop then I can run 4 screens and include Windows.

By the way here's a tip I was told. If you have to use Virtual PC use 2000 not XP apparently it loads much faster and runs much better.

As for price...actually I believe the cheapest one here is quoted at 42,500 and in America it says starts at $1099......well that's about the same actually..... Have i got it right?

Here's a review and some benchmarks from maccentral that may help you decide:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/reviews/mbookmain/index.php

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...tests/index.php

I visited the Apple Store on Sirimunkalajan Rd about five months ago looking for the recently released iMac 20" core duo. They did not have them yet but had them on order. Unfortunately, the price was about $450 over the US price. I'm curious what the current iMac price is in Thailand since 42500B for the MacBook is more inline with US pricing.

FYI:

I'm moving to Chiang Mai next month and debating whether to buy an iMac in CM or lug one over with me (hoping i'm not charged duty).

Edited by ihop

Nowhere near CM, but do have the MacBook Pro (17"), and am extremely happy with it.

I use Parallels Desktop to run XP inside a Mac window to run some fairly demanding software (AutoCAD for one). It has been going very well for me, and think it is a very flexible option for anyone interested.

I also like the fact that I can cut off network access to Windows while having full access to the network in OSX- useful for preventing windows viruses. It is also very easy to back up the windows environment, as it is just a single file! (You can even make it fit on a single dual-layer dvd!)

Cost is higher in Thailand (got mine in the US), but so much nicer than my crap dell that had been my workhorse, or any of the HP or Acer laptops I looked at. Prices are fairly competitive with Sony (bang for buck).

As for Rev A issues, my MBP was first week of delivery, and no issues! Apple has a good warrantee and support compared to the industry. The 15" and the MacBook both had some early issues, but looks like they are sorted out now.

Good luck!

Here's a review and some benchmarks from maccentral that may help you decide:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/reviews/mbookmain/index.php

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...tests/index.php

I visited the Apple Store on Sirimunkalajan Rd about five months ago looking for the recently released iMac 20" core duo. They did not have them yet but had them on order. Unfortunately, the price was about $450 over the US price. I'm curious what the current iMac price is in Thailand since 42500B for the MacBook is more inline with US pricing.

FYI:

I'm moving to Chiang Mai next month and debating whether to buy an iMac in CM or lug one over with me (hoping i'm not charged duty).

thanx for the links.

I got the price slightly wrong. It was 45,200, taken from a worthwhile read in teh Bangkok Post.

(I believe the rather suave Blackbook is 61,000)

http://www.extensions.in.th/post3/macbook2/macbook1.html

There will be a follow up next week available with a click.

My overall feeling is that if one doesn't do high-capacity graphics/movies/editing etc the Macbook is a great option.

Nowhere near CM, but do have the MacBook Pro (17"), and am extremely happy with it.

I use Parallels Desktop to run XP inside a Mac window to run some fairly demanding software (AutoCAD for one). It has been going very well for me, and think it is a very flexible option for anyone interested.

I also like the fact that I can cut off network access to Windows while having full access to the network in OSX- useful for preventing windows viruses. It is also very easy to back up the windows environment, as it is just a single file! (You can even make it fit on a single dual-layer dvd!)

Cost is higher in Thailand (got mine in the US), but so much nicer than my crap dell that had been my workhorse, or any of the HP or Acer laptops I looked at. Prices are fairly competitive with Sony (bang for buck).

As for Rev A issues, my MBP was first week of delivery, and no issues! Apple has a good warrantee and support compared to the industry. The 15" and the MacBook both had some early issues, but looks like they are sorted out now.

Good luck!

Thanx for the thoughts.

Is it possible to switch between Windows/OSX on the hoof, in other words run them both at the same time without restarting?

My overall feeling is that if one doesn't do high-capacity graphics/movies/editing etc the Macbook is a great option.

Is it possible to switch between Windows/OSX on the hoof, in other words run them both at the same time without restarting?

The MacBook Pro has a little better screen resolution, which was a driver for me. It lets me have a few documents open on the screen at once. There are a few other subtle benefits, but for most users the MacBook should suffice, especially given the savings!

Parallels lets you switch everything on the fly. You can run it like a second user and switch between full screen OSX and full screen Windows instantly. Worth checking out Parallels.com for some more information. You would be forced to go the BootCamp route if you wanted to run 3D games and the like, but for general office applications no need.

The MacBook Pro has a little better screen resolution, which was a driver for me. It lets me have a few documents open on the screen at once. There are a few other subtle benefits, but for most users the MacBook should suffice, especially given the savings!

Parallels lets you switch everything on the fly. You can run it like a second user and switch between full screen OSX and full screen Windows instantly. Worth checking out Parallels.com for some more information. You would be forced to go the BootCamp route if you wanted to run 3D games and the like, but for general office applications no need.

Thanx TJO O :o

I'm not worried about the screen res as I run an extra monitor anyway w my iBook and will do so w the blackbook.

Does Parallel Windows run OK with the standard 512 total RAM or have you stuck more in?

I wrote earlier the Blackbook was 61000....I went to Apple today and that was without tax :D .....it is in fact 65kbaht plus and that of course is without extra ram which for two gigs would take it to 73,000. As I mostly use fairly undemanding apps I'd love to think I could use Windows in Parallel without coughing up extra.

OH!! BIG QUESTION!

Is the standard 512 ram one chip or 2 x 256 as I had assumed?? If it's a single 512 I would certainly go for the extra 512. If it's two 256s it gets a bit pricey to chuck them both away.

cheers sj

Edited by sleepyjohn

Another article posted today on maccentral regarding options for running Windows on a Mac:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/secrets/tcowindows/index.php

Also, Apple's WWDC is coming up shortly in SF Aug 7-11. Should see a wide range of new developments introduced during the conference...maybe even some improved Windows solutions.

Also...get the most RAM you can possible afford...you'll see improvements all around. That being said...it is very easy to upgrade the memory yourself on a MacBook. Don't pay a premium for installation.

_ihop

Edited by ihop

OH!! BIG QUESTION!

Is the standard 512 ram one chip or 2 x 256 as I had assumed?? If it's a single 512 I would certainly go for the extra 512. If it's two 256s it gets a bit pricey to chuck them both away.

cheers sj

According to the Apple Store Online, the black MacBook is configured with 512MB - 2x256. An additional $100 option is offered for 1GB - 2x512. Not sure if this same price/option is available at the CM Store...worth asking though.

_ihop