International community slams coup

Lite Beer

International community slams coup
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign leaders call for early elections; warn their citizens against travelling

The international community has widely criticised the power seizure by the Armed Forces on Thursday, with the United States condemning the coup and implying it would have negative implications for bilateral relations.

US Secretary of State John Kerry called for "early elections that reflect the will of the people" and said "there was no justification for the seizure".

"This act will have negative implications for US-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with US law," he said.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was seriously concerned by the military takeover. In a statement, Ban appealed "for a prompt return to constitutional, civilian and democratic rule, as well as an all-inclusive dialogue that will pave the way for long-term peace and prosperity in Thailand".

Meanwhile, the UN Human Rights Office said martial law and military orders being imposed might infringe on fundamental freedoms. Spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said: "We remind the authorities of Thailand's obligations under the international human-rights law, in particular the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which strictly limit the application of emergency powers."

Her office urged the authorities to take all necessary measures to ensure that fundamental human rights are respected.

Germany, France, the United Kingdom and Australia also voiced concerns.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier yesterday condemned the Thai Army's decision to seize control. In a statement, he urged restraint by the Thai Army and the resumption of the political process as soon as possible.

The Army leaders should restart a political dialogue, particularly to pave the way for voting and assure the constitutional rights of the Thai people as well as press freedom.

German citizens in Thailand were urged to avoid protest sites and keep updated on the situation.

French President Francois Hollande condemned the coup and called for an immediate return to the rule of law.

He called for an election to be organised as well as the need "for the fundamental rights and freedoms of the Thai people to be respected".

'Extremely concerned'

Meanwhile British Foreign Secretary William Hague also urged Thailand to restore a democratically elected civilian government.

"I am extremely concerned by today's coup," Hague said in a statement on Thursday. "We look, therefore, to the authorities to set out a quick, clear timetable for elections to help re-establish the democratic framework of governance."

The International Federation of Journalists accused the military of crippling and trying to silence the media.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said yesterday that she was "gravely concerned".

"It is a volatile situation," Bishop told national radio.

"We are monitoring it closely, but people need to pay close attention to their personal security and their travel plans."

Thailand's friends in Asia also expressed regret over the coup.

Japanese Industry Minister Toshimitsu Motegi, while regretting the coup, pledged to ensure the safety of Japanese nationals and companies in the country. "It is an extremely regrettable situation," he told a news conference.

"We are strongly calling for the country's political situation to be resolved peacefully through sincere dialogue."

Malaysia's Foreign Ministry yesterday advised citizens to avoid travelling to Thailand "for personal safety and security reasons".

It said Malaysians living in Thailand should obey the curfew and "maintain sufficient stocks of food and water at home".

Singapore's Foreign Ministry yesterday issued a travel advisory, urging its citizens to "seriously reconsider" trips to Thailand after the military seized power in a bloodless coup.

"The situation is unpredictable and volatile, and may evolve quite rapidly," the ministry said on its website.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-24

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep and the Americans historically have done the region so much good , i' m thinking korea, vietnam, I' m sure they'll be sorely missed.

Yeah, they stopped S. Korea from being forceably incorporated into that paradise: North Korea.

Thailand needs foreign investment that they won't get while this is going on.

• Like 1

Maybe they'll all be just as effective implementing change in Thailand as they've been in Ukraine, Syria, Nigeria, …….

... the Shin era is history, that basically was it ... R Amsterdam and Carlyle Group are trembling - among others

BTW, is there an arrest warrant for Amsterdam for his speech on the red stage recently?

• Like 2

. no doubt it's the Americans stirring things up and leading the rant. they don't know what goes on here and how out of control things were.

You are the only one ranting. What makes you think Americans are the only ones that give a hoot?

Military Coups are just not popular anywhere. Why be so silly and assume everyone will be silent...with thousands of tourists from farangland here?

Wake up, and screw your head back on.

• Like 2

The International Community is not my older brother

Thais believe in saving face and appearance is everything, but in reality they do not give two hoots what others say

It is too much of a me me me country for things to change for the better

Great to see the world condemning the illegal action of the military leadership!

I hope sanctions will be introduced swiftly.

Thai resistance to the coup has almost started immediately yesterday and will grow in the next few weeks.

The Thai economy will suffer and this will bring more people into opposition to the junta and the puppets they will appoint as "civilian government "

Maybe they'll all be just as effective implementing change in Thailand as they've been in Ukraine, Syria, Nigeria, .

... the Shin era is history, that basically was it ... R Amsterdam and Carlyle Group are trembling - among others

BTW, is there an arrest warrant for Amsterdam for his speech on the red stage recently?

Why would Amsterdam care about a Thai arrest warrant?

Or do you think an arrest warrant issued by an illegal junta would be enforced internationally?

• Like 1

It reminds me of a school yard full of lots of screaming children running around with the head trying his best to keep control. Thais have lost the ability to compromise- years of greedy consumption and corruption has completely destroyed their values - all they can think about are their new cars and silly hairdos!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The International community ay. Some of those countries in the International community are far worse than Thailand at the moment. "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind.

• Like 2

Every developed country in the world and the majority of the country know what's happening. It's basically the entire world versus the Bangkok elites on this issue.

The entire world? Really?

What did Surinam and Nepal say?

.........just for the record of course

• Like 1

Haha @ the Yellows in here cheering on the isolation of their country and the illegitimate government occupying it. Your time won't last much longer, don't worry.

.........and then you can benefit from your criminal dictator coming back from Dubai......``hey `i can vote against him!!!!! Can you vote for him......and who knows the Army just might make it possible for democrats to stand in the north observed by the international community