Emergency travel document for newborn baby?

My child is Thai in Thailand with my wife. I return from the uk tomorrow to apply for my sons passport in Bangkok this week, but vfs are now trying to say a 6-9 week wait until he gets his passport.

My wife's settlement visa has just been passed and until we receive my sons passport we cannot leave Thailand to start our new lives in the uk.

With all the trouble and curfew in bkk at the moment I don't really want to be staying there for this time.

Do you think I can apply for an emergency travel document? Apply for his passport when we are in the uk?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't think you can get an ETD unless you already hold a passport which is unusable (lost,damaged etc) and you already have your tickets. Wouldn't hurt however to ask the embassy as they may be able to do something in this particular situation.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Tapatalk

Thomas please let me know what happens because my situation is IDENTICAL to yours. We have the wife's spouse visa but 8 weeks on we're still waiting for our daughter's passport. As the visa isn't valid until July 2nd (we never expected it to be turned around in just 10 days otherwise I wouldn't have put a travel date of July 2nd) we do still have 5 more weeks, but if it doesn't come by then applying for an Emergency Travel Document was my plan too.

Garry.

Read my previus post on link below it explains my situation

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/725205-Madness.-I-can't-apply-for-an-overseas-passport-applicant-within-the-UK?

I am going to embassy tuesday to find out about emergency passport. I understand you can't get an emergency travel without ever having a passport but I have all the documents needed to say he qualifies as a British citizen for a uk passport.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife has spouse visa, I am british. The trouble in Thailand at the moment.

My son is 7 weeks old . What reason can they have not to accept?

I.will let you know Tuesday garry what happens.

Garry you say you been waiting 8 weeks dor tour daughter passport. Do they give you tracking number or contact to find out when it will be ready?

Hi, I (british citizon) also have a similar situation where I would like my thai wife and two months old daugther to visit uk within the next 4 weeks. I am applying for a 6months visitors visa for them. My thai wife (been to uk twice before) and the baby both have Thai passports. Can anyone from their experience suggest or foresee what problems I might be facing with this approach. ?

I might like to add, I could not register the birth at the Brithish embassy as I forgot my birth certificate back home, so I went and got the Thai passport for the baby which costs 20baht.

Garry you say you been waiting 8 weeks dor tour daughter passport. Do they give you tracking number or contact to find out when it will be ready?

Our application was made via the British Embassy just prior to VFS taking over the role, and as far as I know I wasn't given anything when they sent it all off for me. I tried calling the passport helpline but they wouldn't help (said I'd called the wrong number but he'd pass on my details for somebody to call me, needless to say nobody did). They took the new lower fee on April 7th but that's as much info as I have, so we're just blindly and nervously waiting.

I've just read another thread in which general opinion is that the child will need to leave Thailand on a Thai passport (having not entered on a British one), but we've not applied for one. So my plans to turn up, take the family away for a couple of days as a goodbye, then come back to England with my wife and daughter are starting to look questionable. Seems in the week I'm there we're going to have to apply for a Thai passport, and maybe an ETD at the same time. I really need to see how you get on Tuesday and hope that her passport does eventually arrive before I get to Thailand.

Good luck.

Hi, I (british citizon) also have a similar situation where I would like my thai wife and two months old daugther to visit uk within the next 4 weeks. I am applying for a 6months visitors visa for them. My thai wife (been to uk twice before) and the baby both have Thai passports. Can anyone from their experience suggest or foresee what problems I might be facing with this approach. ?

I might like to add, I could not register the birth at the Brithish embassy as I forgot my birth certificate back home, so I went and got the Thai passport for the baby which costs 20baht.

Where did you get her Thai passport, MoFA in Chaeng Wattana? And how long did it take between application and receipt of passport? I'm surprised you say it only cost you 20B as according to the MoFA website the fee for an ePassport is 1000B, not that I'm bothered by that, simply want to know where to go and how long it'll take as my flights cannot be changed so I have a timeframe within which I must complete anything I need to do.

Hard to predict about the visitor visa. It helps that your wife has been twice before as it shows she does return, but you'll have to convince them that your daughter will also return and that you're cool with that. Rather than hijack the thread you should post your visa queries in your own thread. You should explain how long each of the two visits lasted and when they were, plus how long you want this visit to last.

Edited by GarryUK

I spoke to them today and they have put a request through to a london office for etd. But it might not work, lady I spoke to said my birth certificate wasn't correct. Its the short version which doesn't say my parents names on it to proove I'm british.

I need to apply for a long version with my parents names on it. Which might take a week but still might not be succesful.

I said to the lady I have given you a copy of my passport . How am I not british?

Garry . What father birth certificate did you supply?

My wife has setylement visa, so If I applied for a visitor visa on my sons thai passport , do you think it would work?

I think they need the long version to confirm if you are either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.

In other word are you able to pass on your British Citizenship to your son who was not born in the UK?

My wife has setylement visa, so If I applied for a visitor visa on my sons thai passport , do you think it would work?

I was born before 1984 so I don't need to provide copies of my parents' birth certificates, and fortunately I had my long version with me (and will take it again just in case).

The only problem I foresee with a general visitor visa is the need to return to Thailand. I imagine that as your wife has a visa and you both intend to live in the UK, they'll not believe the child intends to return to Thailand so will likely refuse it. I would normally suggest you speak to the passport advice line detailing your situation and enquire as to whether the need to return would be overridden by the issuing of a British passport, but my calls to them have been fruitless so I doubt they'll offer useful (or even correct) information. If you could convince them that you'll all return to Thailand before the visa expires (why not take a short holiday?) you'd then be able to return to the UK using the passport. Not the cheapest way to do things, but it should satisfy everybody if you can convince UKVI that you'll really go back to Thailand.

To be honest I hope one of the moderators or more experienced posters like 7by7 review and comment on my thoughts here.

I think they need the long version to confirm if you are either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.

In other word are you able to pass on your British Citizenship to your son who was not born in the UK?

Agreed. My interpretation is that if your parents were not born in the UK then the only way your child is entitled to be a British citizen is if they were born in the UK, even though you hold a British passport. If however your parents were born in the UK then your child/children can claim citizenship even when born outside the UK, but the same rules would apply to their children (would need to be born in the UK or have one parent whose parents were born in the UK).

Wow, that was easier to think than it is to say.

I was born before 1984 so I don't need to provide copies of my parents' birth certificates, and fortunately I had my long version with me (and will take it again just in case).

The only problem I foresee with a general visitor visa is the need to return to Thailand. I imagine that as your wife has a visa and you both intend to live in the UK, they'll not believe the child intends to return to Thailand so will likely refuse it. I would normally suggest you speak to the passport advice line detailing your situation and enquire as to whether the need to return would be overridden by the issuing of a British passport, but my calls to them have been fruitless so I doubt they'll offer useful (or even correct) information. If you could convince them that you'll all return to Thailand before the visa expires (why not take a short holiday?) you'd then be able to return to the UK using the passport. Not the cheapest way to do things, but it should satisfy everybody if you can convince UKVI that you'll really go back to Thailand.

To be honest I hope one of the moderators or more experienced posters like 7by7 review and comment on my thoughts here.

Agree with that as they recently gave me wrong information about what documents need to be submitted.

It depends (and it shouldn't) who you speak to so beware as the advice can be incorrect.

Sorry I meant 2ooo baht, it look just one day. Question is will she encounter any problems getting a visitor visa with the newborn?

Provided with all the appropriate documents in hand.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

For any one looking to get Thai passport for the newborn,

Thai consulate is based in Espainage building shoping mall, 50 yards from the underground bts station Culture centre of Thailand.

One has to take the newborn with them and the staff there will do everything for you, including photos. Just need to get there early.

A very nice place too for shopping and relaxing.

Hope this is helpful.