Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

I have no idea what link your talking about…

I hope you can accept the military rule as a good thing because it will restore the 15 principles of democracy the PTP thieved the Thai people of since 2011.

The below are the ones that need to be educated. I truly respect them, but they need to understand that democracy only flourishes under an educated populous. They don;t understand that yet. That is why reform is needed.

I love them. I respect them. I am married to one of them. I taught her democracy and she appreciates it. She learnt that the PTP are 1 principle supporters now. I want the red shirts to be educated, but alas the UDD would prefer to put a gun in their hands and send them onto a dictatorial battlefield. That is a Maoist theory the UDD leadership have learnt and will pass onto the gullible. I pity them.

I hope Thailand restores democracy as you do…But please don't forget there is more than one principle to democracy.

Are you able to define (or at least provide a link to) these 15 principles of democracy, and demonstrate how a military coup doesn't contradict any of them? I'm not saying the PTP didn't take advantage of or break any of them (since i don't know what they are yet), but your evangelism can only be justified if your own side hasn't fouled any of them itself.

I asked the initial question 6 months and 3 days ago.

You tell me?

The UDD and PTP defend the democratic principles (well one anyway) so ask them.

Or as a comprimes tell me what principles you respect?

Sorry, you mentioned the 15 principles of Democracy and I asked you simply what they were. If you can share them then we can continue, otherwise lets not waste each other's time.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

He already hinted at the beginning that election would not happen before 24 months from now.

Wow 2 years? That's a long time. He will surely put in place a non partisan government for the interim period.

Euphemisms aside, you're talking about a puppet government under military dictatorship... and of course when they "elect" a "real" government, they better behave or else....

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

The disbanding of the Senate has obviously come as a surprise to many.

A possible reason being that a majority of the Senate would not fall in to line with the Juntas vision for the country.

Easier to get rid of the lot of them!

Since starting this Putsch the Army have been very keen to muzzle all dissenting voices.

As the days go by increasing numbers of organisations and individuals are being brought in for questioning.

We are seeing threats made to tv, radio, press and social media not to broadcast anything critical and to specifically not give airtime to any political discussion by intellectuals or academics.

I find it particularly hypocritical that many posting here were claiming that the ousted government were limiting free speech but now bizarrely fully support the Juntas complete suppression of it.

Dark days indeed.

Under the PTP the suppression of freedom of speech was to ensure a regime extended their dictatorial powers and allowed the regime to manipulate the gullible populous.

Under the DRT (Democracy Restoration Team) the suppression is to ensure the guys above don't attack, kill and maim anyone and looking at the weapons finds, the cache finds and the red shirt militia arrests I thank god for the military.

Remember it is illegal to disrespect the military and as I respect all TVF members, please be careful when replying. For you sake as well as TVF's sake.

djjamie, you still want to bang that drum about freedom of speech, and how Yingluk/Thaksin suppressed it ?? smile.png

Yes, right now, anybody who makes negative comments about the coup is breaking the law, and indeed, Thai Visa will be shut down due to people coming here and making negative comments about the coup. We all know that ! smile.png

We all know that Thai Visa was NOT in danger of being shut down when Thaksin/Yingluk was in power. People like YOU and all the other ant-Thaksinites were allowed to come here and write your stuff.

Yes, people, try NOT to write stuff that is against the coup, because Thai Visa will get shut down. Does anybody actually want to see this happen ??

smile.png

I agree. So many pseudo "politicians" and so much words which will get this site to be closed. Just wait if whole Internet will be filtered or shut down in case of using it against Power.

I am new here but to be honest I feel like between "Yellow and "Reds"

I do not see any real reason to make those comments here and mostly by those who are not rightful citizens.

So much noise pollution on this site ....Maybe better to cool down and see when dust go down????

Edited by gigman

Please guys understand that the moderators have a full time job in the current climate and we need to respect forum rules as well as the current martial law.

Please respect that for TVF's sake as well as your own.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

I do hope they do not try to get rid of the farangs, their main source of incum

I hate to burst your bubble but.....*POP*

:-)

Thanks, that made it a lot better!

Hmmm. Not many on here defending the coup now are there?

I don't understand why the general has taken over the senate but I trust he is doing what has to be done for the good of the country and the people.

Never did like it when someone told me: "I'm doing this for your own good."

The disbanding of the Senate has obviously come as a surprise to many.

A possible reason being that a majority of the Senate would not fall in to line with the Juntas vision for the country.

Easier to get rid of the lot of them!

Since starting this Putsch the Army have been very keen to muzzle all dissenting voices.

As the days go by increasing numbers of organisations and individuals are being brought in for questioning.

We are seeing threats made to tv, radio, press and social media not to broadcast anything critical and to specifically not give airtime to any political discussion by intellectuals or academics.

I find it particularly hypocritical that many posting here were claiming that the ousted government were limiting free speech but now bizarrely fully support the Juntas complete suppression of it.

Dark days indeed.

Under the PTP the suppression of freedom of speech was to ensure a regime extended their dictatorial powers and allowed the regime to manipulate the gullible populous.

Under the DRT (Democracy Restoration Team) the suppression is to ensure the guys above don't attack, kill and maim anyone and looking at the weapons finds, the cache finds and the red shirt militia arrests I thank god for the military.

Remember it is illegal to disrespect the military and as I respect all TVF members, please be careful when replying. For you sake as well as TVF's sake.

djjamie, you still want to bang that drum about freedom of speech, and how Yingluk/Thaksin suppressed it ?? smile.png

Yes, right now, anybody who makes negative comments about the coup is breaking the law, and indeed, Thai Visa will be shut down due to people coming here and making negative comments about the coup. We all know that ! smile.png

We all know that Thai Visa was NOT in danger of being shut down when Thaksin/Yingluk was in power. People like YOU and all the other ant-Thaksinites were allowed to come here and write your stuff.

Yes, people, try NOT to write stuff that is against the coup, because Thai Visa will get shut down. Does anybody actually want to see this happen ??

smile.png

I agree. So many pseudo "politicians" and so much words which will get this site to be closed. Just wait if whole Internet will be filtered or shut down in case of using it against Power.

I am new here but to be honest I feel like between "Yellow and "Reds"

I do not see any real reason to make those comments here and mostly by those who are not rightful citizens.

So much noise pollution on this site ....Maybe better to cool down and see when dust go down????

Mr Gigman, you're new here ? :)

Well, djjamie has constantly turned up here to make similar comments ! :)

I certainly don't have a problem with his comments. There's blokes I know and get drunk with, who do actually say similar stuff !

There's a curfew on, I don't want to sit in a bar with the music turned right down, and the shutters pulled down to almost where the floor is. I know what, I'ill turn up here on Thai Visa, have a beer in my room, and have some talk here ! :)

"General Prayuth replaces police chief, DSI chief, and defence permanent secretary, dissolves the Senate and takes over parliamentary authority."

Isn't sacking the DSI chief what Yinluck was ostensibly just thrown out of office for doing?

• Like 1

I do hope they do not try to get rid of the farangs, their main source of incum

Every farang who is messing up with new rules writing here is asking for it 5555 just watch. History should teach some . But not many know this from the past.

I think I am fed up reading this site. I feel like between "Reds and Yellows" in their "discussions" in the past..............bah.gif

Better to take care about my g/f wai2.gif

• Like 1

I hope you can accept the military rule as a good thing because it will restore the 15 principles of democracy the PTP thieved the Thai people of since 2011.

The below are the ones that need to be educated. I truly respect them, but they need to understand that democracy only flourishes under an educated populous. They don;t understand that yet. That is why reform is needed.

I love them. I respect them. I am married to one of them. I taught her democracy and she appreciates it. She learnt that the PTP are 1 principle supporters now. I want the red shirts to be educated, but alas the UDD would prefer to put a gun in their hands and send them onto a dictatorial battlefield. That is a Maoist theory the UDD leadership have learnt and will pass onto the gullible. I pity them.

I hope Thailand restores democracy as you do…But please don't forget there is more than one principle to democracy.

You are very good! Your post made me vomit.

It had a similar effect on me.

This member appreciates democracy, and somehow figures a military dictatorship will help restore it, just like it did 11 times before.

Of course, everyone trusts that this general who now wields absolute power is a good guy with good intentions. Let's hope so, because right now hope is all we have.

• Like 1

..a wise move if he wants to be seen to be even-handed ( not that I agree with closing legislature)

Um hmm. Perhaps the next move should be to "make an example" in public of a few people who do not show proper respect for authority, eh? Folks, watch what you say around this guy. ;)

You are very good! Your post made me vomit.

It had a similar effect on me.

This member appreciates democracy, and somehow figures a military dictatorship will help restore it, just like it did 11 times before.

Of course, everyone trusts that this general who now wields absolute power is a good guy with good intentions. Let's hope so, because right now hope is all we have.

Totally agree, still, there is this old Greek Saying: "But the worst of all tortures is hope."

• Like 1

Thailand as of this week shares what is essentially the same system of government as Myanmar. Except Myanmnar is refining their system.

Considering they've only been at it a few days, they're doing remarkably well.

quote:

Just out of curiosity: where does this number "15" come from? I think somebody mentioned it somewhere (maybe he learnt that at school or in the military) and now many people repeat it. So, where do you have this number from?

In Germany the Constitutional Court named just 5 principles (but explained them extensionally, so you can split them up and come to a higher number).

They also explained that democracy cannot exist without Rule of Law and Fundamental Rights. The UN see it exactly that way. For a strange reason nobody from the "Dems"-side seem to discuss that.

Anyway: why 15?

Nice deferring the subject again…

Name 2 principles and I will tell you how the PTP abused them.

Can you?

unquote

Alright the, I take your bait (I'll probably will regret it) Although Merangue already named them (thanks for that, Merangue, I'm out of likes, otherwise I would have given you a few) I will give you a few in my own words, which might not be accurately translated as I am German.

Sovereignty of the people executed by free and regular elections

Accountability of the government

Legitimacy of the administration (probably the wrong word, I mean they have to stick to laws and regulations)

Multi-Party-System (political parties)

"One Man - One Vote"

I think Merangue named them better. Anyway, please, please, PLEASE do not tell me what the former government has done wrong (I heard it all before). Simply tell me, why it must be 15 (!) principles and who told you. Just that. Not really difficult, is it?

This news, together with the events at Victory monument today and elsewhere, doesn't look promising for the near future.

There will be hard times ahead.

Could you please let me know what happened today at Victory Monument as my daughter in law lives next to there?

This news, together with the events at Victory monument today and elsewhere, doesn't look promising for the near future.

There will be hard times ahead.

Could you please let me know what happened today at Victory Monument as my daughter in law lives next to there?

You can look through the Thailand Live news topic starting here - Thailand Live

• Like 1

Yep…Not a single 1 principle supporter can name 1 principle which I can ensure the PTP don't adhere to.

You're scared.

I sense it. I feel it. I know it.

Name one.

Can someone put this poor guy out of his pain?

• Like 2

Julius Caesar did the same.

Of course, that was 2.000 years ago.

Julius Caesar never disbanded the Senate. (Nor did any other Roman Emperor.) It was at a meeting of the Senate - the day before he was due to leave the country to invade Parthia/Persia on what would be a self-imposed exile taking at least 10 years - that he was assassinated.